F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

bobtheguitar

11 Apr 2019, 11:29

Ellipse wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 01:35
Yes the mac symbols should be ok to add but I would make them a bit larger per yac's photo. Yes ok to add the mac shift icon as a separate key not included in the mac set as long as there's room.
Given these are being added, is there any chance of keys with just the mac symbols (no text) being added to the icons options? Preferably including ⌃ for control as well as ⌘, ⌥, ⇪ and ⇧...

Obviously wouldn't expect them to be included in the mac set. But the examples above with text and symbols feel very crowded, and I'd prefer symbols only anyway, especially given all the icons that are already being offered.

The dream would be to size options to support HHKB layout with mac symbols, but I guess that's probably getting a little too niche!

Need to finally make up my mind between the normal F77 and the Ultra Compact and place my order... :)
Last edited by bobtheguitar on 15 Apr 2019, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Scarpia

11 Apr 2019, 14:06

Jean-Loup wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 17:52
(2) Is there anything planned either official or non-official as an add-on, like a plate, that would cap the right hand numpad in such a way that only the top two rows of keys would show, and the arrow cluster on the bottom?
I would like to know about this as well — I imagine it wouldn’t be too challenging to design and 3D print a snap-into-barrels part, although it would never colormatch and the finish might be an eyesore next to the powder coating on the case.

On the other hand, 3D printing would allow people to choose their own contrast color to go with their keyset, or even alter the model with relief logos or other designs.

Ellipse

11 Apr 2019, 14:18

Yes someone is planning on making a 3D printed part for that purpose.

bobtheguitar

15 Apr 2019, 20:31

Hey Ellipse—just wanted to bump the question in the post below, as it got lost in moderation for a few days (first post!) and may have been missed.
bobtheguitar wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 11:29
Ellipse wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 01:35
Yes the mac symbols should be ok to add but I would make them a bit larger per yac's photo. Yes ok to add the mac shift icon as a separate key not included in the mac set as long as there's room.
Given these are being added, is there any chance of keys with just the mac symbols (no text) being added to the icons options? Preferably including ⌃ for control as well as ⌘, ⌥, ⇪ and ⇧...

Obviously wouldn't expect them to be included in the mac set. But the examples above with text and symbols feel very crowded, and I'd prefer symbols only anyway, especially given all the icons that are already being offered.

The dream would be to size options to support HHKB layout with mac symbols, but I guess that's probably getting a little too niche!

Need to finally make up my mind between the normal F77 and the Ultra Compact and place my order... :)

Zed

16 Apr 2019, 15:46

bobtheguitar wrote:

I was just working on the Mac icons this weekend and was about to post that '⌥ Opt' is too crowded to look good so I would be going with just the icon for this key (we already have the text only version in the Apple/Mac set). This leaves '⌘ Cmd' or '⌘' as the next choice to make since there have been requests for both. '⇪' is already in. Stay tuned for further developments...

bobtheguitar

16 Apr 2019, 21:46

Zed wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 15:46
bobtheguitar wrote:

I was just working on the Mac icons this weekend and was about to post that '⌥ Opt' is too crowded to look good so I would be going with just the icon for this key (we already have the text only version in the Apple/Mac set). This leaves '⌘ Cmd' or '⌘' as the next choice to make since there have been requests for both. '⇪' is already in. Stay tuned for further developments...
Thanks for the update, Zed. Staying tuned... :)

Ellipse

17 Apr 2019, 01:40

The final part of the dye sublimation jig should arrive later this week - then I'll be able to resume dye sublimation testing.

Zed

19 Apr 2019, 01:54

Icons for a complete board are now available. Also showing off the ones that have only been referred to by name in the previous extra key sets mockups.
F XT Icons v7.png
F XT Icons v7.png (96.69 KiB) Viewed 8684 times
I'm not completely sold on the broken arrow Caps Lock. (The 'padlock' icon as shown previously is still available FYI) The Shift-style arrow doesn't really lend itself to splitting while keeping the same height. I would suggest going with a flipped Shift arrow (which IBM used on Beamsprings) but I know that can be a contentious choice. :) I also haven't come up with anything I like for unique Scroll Lock and Num Lock icons so the Caps Lock is standing in. As usual, suggestions are welcome.

Ellipse

19 Apr 2019, 06:30

Factory mass assembly update:

The factory expects to complete all the currently ordered keyboards by the end of May - great news!
20,000 flippers+springs have completed assembly. They are continuing to assemble the rest of them.
They expect to complete 200 keyboards by the end of the month. Because of this I was thinking of waiting an extra week or so to get about 500 keyboards in the first shipment. The 200 figure is lower than expected because they noticed a slight error in the bottom inner assembly radius on many of the completed parts and are re-bending these finished parts before closing the inner assemblies. The IBM XT keyboards' radii were consistently perfect so the new Model F's need to be as well!
Last edited by Ellipse on 19 Apr 2019, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

cods

19 Apr 2019, 11:33

Looks brilliant!
Zed wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 01:54
Icons for a complete board are now available. Also showing off the ones that have only been referred to by name in the previous extra key sets mockups.

F XT Icons v7.png

I'm not completely sold on the broken arrow Caps Lock. (The 'padlock' icon as shown previously is still available FYI) The Shift-style arrow doesn't really lend itself to splitting while keeping the same height. I would suggest going with a flipped Shift arrow (which IBM used on Beamsprings) but I know that can be a contentious choice. :) I also haven't come up with anything I like for unique Scroll Lock and Num Lock icons so the Caps Lock is standing in. As usual, suggestions are welcome.

Zed

20 Apr 2019, 02:23

I probably should have waited until today to post the new icons. 20 minutes after putting up the previous pic, I came up with some Scroll and Num Lock icons that I don't hate. Also, made a little prettier presentation this time. :lol:

A big thanks as well to matt3o for allowing the use of his nifty 'Alt Gr' icon design from the Granite sets.

F XT Icons v7 render.png
F XT Icons v7 render.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 8520 times

depletedvespene

20 Apr 2019, 03:10

I like the Scroll Lock icon. I had a few half-baked ideas on how to do an icon for it, but this one is better than what was inside my brain.

cods

21 Apr 2019, 04:42

I broke down and added an F62 HHKB non-split backspace in industrial grey, plus a bunch of keys.
Now in for that, plus my original (amended) order for an F77 classic and an F77 in the modern case.
Gee... I hope I like Model Fs... 😂

FXT
XT

22 Apr 2019, 20:01

Would it be possible to change either my F77 or F62 order to a low serial number or am I too late for that?

Ellipse

22 Apr 2019, 23:32

Yes FXT still time to upgrade! It is a great way to ensure you are in the first batch of shipping keyboards.

FXT
XT

23 Apr 2019, 01:54

That's exactly what I was hoping for, thanks!

Ellipse

23 Apr 2019, 14:35

Brand New Model F Keyboards Mass Assembly at the Factory! Key Sublimation Sheets

Here is a video of manual installation of the key sets to template sheets before the dye sublimation process (I am taking care of the dye sublimation but the factory is preparing everything to save time). Check out the other project videos in the YouTube channel for the custom-built machines helping with mass assembly. Everyone gets the full 104 key set when they order a regular key set for their keyboard.

darkcruix

23 Apr 2019, 15:56

Ellipse wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:35
Brand New Model F Keyboards Mass Assembly at the Factory! Key Sublimation Sheets

Here is a video of manual installation of the key sets to template sheets before the dye sublimation process (I am taking care of the dye sublimation but the factory is preparing everything to save time). Check out the other project videos in the YouTube channel for the custom-built machines helping with mass assembly. Everyone gets the full 104 key set when they order a regular key set for their keyboard.
Hopefully the template sheets will be tough enough to withstand the container shipment and you're not ending up with the keys all over the place ;) I am sure you already have a solution prepared :).

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

23 Apr 2019, 23:27

Zed wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 02:23
I probably should have waited until today to post the new icons. 20 minutes after putting up the previous pic, I came up with some Scroll and Num Lock icons that I don't hate. Also, made a little prettier presentation this time. :lol:

A big thanks as well to matt3o for allowing the use of his nifty 'Alt Gr' icon design from the Granite sets.

F XT Icons v7 render.png
How do I order this from the site?

Ellipse

23 Apr 2019, 23:40

Please order from the extra keys store item. https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... d-keycaps/

Please specify key size, color, and legend in the notes text box.

Yes darkcruix the key templates were designed so keys will not fall out even when the sheets are moved about/upside down.

depletedvespene

23 Apr 2019, 23:52

Ellipse wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 23:40
Please order from the extra keys store item. https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... d-keycaps/

Please specify key size, color, and legend in the notes text box.
I'm waiting for the list of custom keycaps to be finalized so I can send in my shopping list. ;)

Ellipse

24 Apr 2019, 04:51

All of the jig equipment arrived this week and I have done some key sublimation testing.

Below are photos of sublimation test # 7. The new equipment is producing good test results. There is a bit too much bleed ("dye migration") but it is within IBM tolerances it seems (new and original sublimated Model F keys below). Sorry the photos are not in perfect focus.

As a note the key legends were hand placed for the test and the alignment and quality of the below images are not representative of the final product!

More testing will be done to optimize all the variables before mass dye sublimation begins.

Can you tell which one is the original Model F and which one is the new Model F?
20190423_222843.jpg
20190423_222843.jpg (357.77 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
20190423_222648.jpg
20190423_222648.jpg (424.78 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
20190423_222651.jpg
20190423_222651.jpg (403.17 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
20190423_222652.jpg
20190423_222652.jpg (423.75 KiB) Viewed 7961 times

darkcruix

24 Apr 2019, 07:54

Great work!!! At a first view, I would say the left one is the original, as the right one seems a bit "bolder".
Thanks for sharing - wonderful news

Chyros

24 Apr 2019, 09:59

The right U seems a bit bolder and narrower; they're definitely not the same. The placement of the legends is also different. But, that said, I'm not sure which is the original and which isn't! My guess is the original is the left one.

Looking good though - thanks for these insights into the manufacturing process, it's really interesting! :D

Wazrach

24 Apr 2019, 10:47

Chyros wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 09:59
The right U seems a bit bolder and narrower; they're definitely not the same. The placement of the legends is also different. But, that said, I'm not sure which is the original and which isn't! My guess is the original is the left one.

Looking good though - thanks for these insights into the manufacturing process, it's really interesting! :D
Considering how much Model F caps differ, I wouldn't know either. This 5155 Model F I am typing on has thick, bold and slightly fuzzy lettering. Some UK Model F XTs have keycaps with sharper edges and EXTREMELY sharp lettering.

Chalba

24 Apr 2019, 19:26

If you really zoom in, the right cap doesn't really have any more bleeding than the left. It only might look as though it does because it's a thicker/bolder line to start with. I'd say the left is the original because of the placement. Great update, exciting! =D

darkcruix

26 Apr 2019, 08:46

Hopefully Ellipse will unravel the mystery of the keycap :) I looked at multiple 'U's and I am not convinced anymore the right is the new one. I have a late Model F that has a U as bold as the one on the right :) The differences are for one that the curves of the U in the picture seem not to match and two, the position is much more to the edges of the key in my case.

Mattr567

27 Apr 2019, 19:53

Excuse my ignorance, but will there be a red Cyrillic keyset available? Perhaps I missed it in this thread.

depletedvespene

27 Apr 2019, 20:37

Mattr567 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but will there be a red Cyrillic keyset available? Perhaps I missed it in this thread.
I think you may be twenty-six days late on this post. :mrgreen:

Mattr567

27 Apr 2019, 23:22

depletedvespene wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 20:37
Mattr567 wrote:
I think you may be twenty-six days late on this post. :mrgreen:
Haha, how can I add those to my order if I wanted to?

Return to “Group buys”