F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

modology

07 Dec 2015, 15:53

Ellipse wrote: Yep this is an exciting project - it will be a great moment when I do the unboxing, hopefully soon.

Does anyone know the best way to create very easy to use online shopping carts? I prefer something like the Lenovo or Dell notebook configuration page where you can pick either a wizard or a list and then see photos and make selections of what you want, as opposed to looking around a site and clicking "add to cart" for various pieces. I may just use PayPal's option but I need to look more into this.
You can setup a very simple Magento ecommerce store with all of that features

terrycherry

07 Dec 2015, 18:18

Which China factory could I buy from them on Taobao if necessary.And the best thing is the factory could give my money to you.
That's best for business!(like HHH said)

Ellipse

09 Dec 2015, 02:50

Are there any simpler free storefronts modology? I looked into your link but it looks like you need to download a file to use it.

bhtooefr

09 Dec 2015, 02:59

If you're building a configuration page like a PC manufacturer's site has, you're going to need to either install an e-commerce system onto a web server somewhere, or you're going to have to write such a system or have someone write one for you.

Ellipse

09 Dec 2015, 04:57

Andrew I found out the reason for the one strange prototype photo. The CNC milled prototypes were adjusted with hand drills after the fact as part of the optimization process for a solid fit between barrel and top inner assembly, as chzel surmised. That was probably the first prototype they tried to hand drill so it came out not as even.

I will be updating the CAD files for the production units once they have finalized their adjustments and measurements. There will be no hand drill adjustments on the production units of course.

Attached is a better photo showing that the barrels in fact are made to my specifications, just that some hand drill adjustments were needed on the "notch" cutouts for the prototype units.
prototype.jpg
prototype.jpg (889.65 KiB) Viewed 5123 times

Elrick

09 Dec 2015, 05:02

Ellipse wrote: Attached is a better photo showing that the barrels in fact are made to my specifications, just that some hand drill adjustments were needed on the "notch" cutouts for the prototype units.
BEAUTIFUL...... Now it's coming together.

Don't worry about the Chinese Steel springs because I've got gallons of fish oil to apply upon all the springs, to help negate any possibility of rust occurring.

Ellipse

09 Dec 2015, 05:05

And Elrick the prototype springs are Japanese steel pre-coated with nickel so that they will not likely rust any time soon. It is exciting that the project is coming together. Though it has taken longer than expected to optimize the prototypes.

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2015, 10:52

Its looking amazing!

How tight are the barrels in the frame, you don't want them to flop around but you dont want them stuck in and hard to get out.

If you have ever done spark plug gaps on a car with the feeler , thats what you want , just a little drag wen inserting them !

Touch_It

09 Dec 2015, 19:23

Glad to hear f107 foam will be available to purchase. I will definitely get some. On the fence about a keyboard. I may yet cave. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hypersphere

09 Dec 2015, 19:27

It is exciting to see this project continuing to move forward! Thanks again for doing this, Ellipse!

Elrick

10 Dec 2015, 02:11

Hypersphere wrote: It is exciting to see this project continuing to move forward! Thanks again for doing this, Ellipse!
Damn straight :D .

He's the one who has brought the Model-F back into the public limelight and anyone that could do that in 2015/2016 is certainly my hero.

bhtooefr

10 Dec 2015, 02:44

And to think, a couple years ago, we figured the Model F was dead for good.

andrewjoy

10 Dec 2015, 11:08

Now we just need Ellipse to buy out unicomp and have them re create the SSK :)

pcaro

10 Dec 2015, 13:21

andrewjoy wrote: Now we just need Ellipse to buy out unicomp and have them re create the SSK :)
I support this a lot. What about a change.org petition to get He employed at Unicomp? :D

andrewjoy

10 Dec 2015, 13:23

Good idea !

Its oh when i win 100 million on the euro lottery i will buy unicomp out.

And put beamsprings back into production.

fohat
Elder Messenger

10 Dec 2015, 21:04

bhtooefr wrote: And to think, a couple years ago, we figured the Model F was dead for good.
I would have said that Model Fs came back to life when Soarer introduced his converter 3-4 years ago.

E3E

10 Dec 2015, 21:24

bhtooefr wrote: And to think, a couple years ago, we figured the Model F was dead for good.
I wonder if that notion would have reflected in their value as well. They sure seem desirable now! Was it because a lack of compatibility with modern systems without extensive modding (Soarer), or something else?

As far as I know, there's no quick mod to get beamsprings working, for example, right (though I know people do mod them to work on modern systems)? They still seem to cost quite a bit. Those are some lovely whales of a board though.

chzel

10 Dec 2015, 21:49

Beamsprings are rare, and that is the main reason they hold their price up.
You can get them working, thanks to xwhatsit!. Not trivial, but better than nothing!

Hypersphere

10 Dec 2015, 22:29

andrewjoy wrote: Now we just need Ellipse to buy out unicomp and have them re create the SSK :)
+1. Yes, and an SSK Model F version to boot!

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2015, 22:38

chzel wrote: Beamsprings are rare, and that is the main reason they hold their price up.
You can get them working, thanks to xwhatsit!. Not trivial, but better than nothing!
Actually, if the beamspring is in good shape, Xwhatsit's controller is pretty much a drop-in USB upgrade. Installing it in a Model F is the non-trivial one! To be fair, I tested Xwhatsit's prototype Model F controller for him. He subsequently made the through-holes bigger at my request. But it's still a lot of soldering compared to a Soarer converter, which will handle most Model Fs in its own right.

Hasu also eventually got the Kishsaver supported in TMK quite nicely, I hear. But I did my work already! And I much prefer my cable to the Kishy's chunky but dull original.

Ellipse

11 Dec 2015, 05:09

As an update, the powdercoating on the case should be finished within a day or so, and then we will just need to wait for the outside foam and box to be made and for the springs to be attached to the flippers - it is possible the prototypes could be here in about two weeks!

Hypersphere

11 Dec 2015, 14:02

@Ellipse: Perhaps you have answered this already, but have you looked into the foam material that goes in between the plates? It would be good to use something that does not degrade as much as the original material. Silicone sponge might be a good choice, although it is much more expensive than neoprene foam. However, I suppose it takes quite a few years for the standard foam to degrade, so that these new Model F boards will be good for some time without a foam replacement.

andrewjoy

11 Dec 2015, 14:14

Neoprene should last just fine , much longer than the crap IBM used anyway.

Ellipse

12 Dec 2015, 04:51

Yes I am using foam that is part neoprene. A GH/DT forum member recommended a particular foam from McMaster-Carr and generously sent me a sample. They said that the foam worked well in a number of Model F keyboards.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8647k102/=10786wv

Elrick

12 Dec 2015, 09:10

Ellipse wrote: As an update, the powdercoating on the case should be finished within a day or so, and then we will just need to wait for the outside foam and box to be made and for the springs to be attached to the flippers - it is possible the prototypes could be here in about two weeks!
SALIVATING at the screen to see these babies :shock: .

Looks like close to New Year's purchasing that shall be happening here, nice way to end off a perfect year.

kekstee

12 Dec 2015, 15:41

I'm scared for my wallet, this whole project looks almost too perfect to pass...

What are the outer dimensions of the F62 and F77 case?
Especially F77 might even offer me something I cannot get elsewhere in terms of layout.

bhtooefr

12 Dec 2015, 16:03

My wallet is going to be so destroyed, between this and a PC build I'm doing in January.

Ellipse

12 Dec 2015, 19:03

The F77 is about 16.5 x 7 inches and the F62 is about 2.5 inches less wide (~ 14 x 7 in.).

We reached 210 keyboards today! Interestingly the preference is towards the F62s (personally I prefer the F77 for the separate num pad and cursor keys). The current breakdown is 85 F77s and 125 F62s.

codemonkeymike

12 Dec 2015, 19:32

Out of curiosity how much empty space width wise is in the F62? I cant imagine the PCB stretching that extra ~2inch on each side? Also would you consider selling everything minus the case, for those who would like to make their own case?

Ellipse

12 Dec 2015, 20:11

For further space savings in the 7" dimension, I would need a volunteer PCB designer to redesign the xwhatsit controller to take up less space. Currently it just sticks out of the capacitive PCB like on an original XT keyboard. Any volunteers?

Yes codemonkeymike there is extra space in the original design.

Since quite a few people asked me about a smaller/redesigned case in recent months, I am working on an additional case option, in addition to the current cases which will still definitely be the main offering: an alternative case that does not take up as much extra space.

Don't worry the original designs will not change at all - they are the main option! Just about everyone will still be ordering the original-style cases I'd imagine.

The proposed redesigned case will be 1 inch less wide and 0.7 in less the other way (about 15.5 in x 6.3 in for the F77 and 14 in x 6.3 in for the F62). Not much savings. The cost for both case options will be the same, or if there's enough interest you may be able to save a small amount like $15 or so on your order. The other case would also be made out of metal.

Yes you will be able to buy any combination of parts you'd like, including everything minus the case as well as extra parts.

Return to “Group buys”