F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Ellipse

27 Feb 2016, 22:53

Yep Vizir

courtesi

28 Feb 2016, 16:57

wait a minute - just hold on - as my mind is in some sort of fugue state...

ellipse are you saying that before this drops you are going offer brand new 1 piece keycaps as an option instead of the unicomp? That's what I think I read but I think I might be having a seizure...

Muirium
µ

28 Feb 2016, 17:04

Back to the meds, Courtesy! They're on the house.

(Unicomp is the limit here, of course. If Ellipse can convince them — with a truckload of cash across their bows — then perhaps they'll pull the right fogey out of retirement. But it's a long shot.)

wcass

28 Feb 2016, 17:28

It would be really nice to see unstepped 1.75 shift keys for the HH style.

Muirium
µ

28 Feb 2016, 18:02

Absolutely. Single piece 1.5 unit caps too.

Telebyte

28 Feb 2016, 18:24

Ellipse, if that is not too much trouble, I'd like to modify my order and have a split Right Shift.

courtesi

28 Feb 2016, 18:37

I've got a question that I think is brilliant and am sorry I didn't think of it until now ...

Is there a way to put a "lo-jack" type device in the keyboard - possibly powered by the keyboard itself - so that in the case of theft it can be tracked down by the authorities?

Ellipse

28 Feb 2016, 18:44

courtesi - yes - I am hoping to order the keys direct from the factory I've been working with on the other molds. These would be for everyone instead of the Unicomp keys. That's the only way they can be made in a cost effective way - I'd need to make a few hundred sets with the new molds if anyone is to get one piece sets. This was one of my original intentions when starting the project, if order volumes were sufficient (which at $65,000+ after one month they are!).

It's also possible to get black unprinted one piece keys with no shine since I'm ordering the molds anyways.

Those with custom orders outside of the regular pearl/pebble/black would probably still need to be sourced from Unicomp.

wcass there is an option for a 3D printed non-stepped key cap that seems to work well if you glue the key stem to the 3d printed cap. Given the low interest it's probably not cost feasible for a mold without people willing to contribute to the mold costs. Could we get 50 people to pay $30 extra each for one key (or however the numbers work out)? I am not confident.

Yep muirium everything would be one piece - that would be the goal. Just a note that Unicomp would not be producing these key caps.

telebyte I sent you an email.

__red__

28 Feb 2016, 19:13

Cough spherical cough. <3

kekstee

28 Feb 2016, 19:59

I wouldn't even mind a delay for one piece keycaps of consistent quality.
Last edited by kekstee on 29 Feb 2016, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

28 Feb 2016, 21:52

A caps supplier that is *not* Unicomp? There is hope!

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Feb 2016, 22:28

Ellipse wrote:
since I'm ordering the molds anyways.

Those with custom orders outside of the regular pearl/pebble/black would probably still need to be sourced from Unicomp.
So your "source" has little or no interest in getting into the buckling spring keycap business outside of your transaction?

Aside from quality issues that are inconsistent and unpredictable from Unicomp (sometimes they produce 1st-rate work) a huge annoyance is that while they offer a rainbow of colors for 1x there are none for larger keys (except for the RGB sets).

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Feb 2016, 23:05

+1 for unstepped cap.

Ellipse

28 Feb 2016, 23:14

correct fohat - I own the molds made by the factory for this project. The molds are to be used only for my production runs and have a limited lifetime before they wear out and then new molds would be required.

Custom colors may require high MOQ (we're talking 1000 or more keys maybe) so that may be why it's easier for Unicomp to order 1U keys; 1000 1U custom keys = ~10 sets, while there's only 1 or 2 of each larger key in each set. I have to discuss more with the factory but at this point custom colors outside of black/pebble/pearl will not be likely.

wcass and webwit, we could also do an unstepped caps lock only, but I don't think everyone would like that. The advantage would be that the short right shift key would not be stepped.

Cost of the mold would be the main factor - we'd need a lot of interest to start a run - and people would be paying possibly $30 (50 nonstepped shifts) or $15 (100 non-stepped shifts) each.

Khers

28 Feb 2016, 23:22

+1 for unstepped 1.75u. Both shift and caps.

Ludovician

28 Feb 2016, 23:27

Well... I already bought caps from Unicomp but I would gladly buy the higher quality caps as well. Count me in.

And yes, I would like non-stepped caps and shift keys.

JuZ0

28 Feb 2016, 23:28

Hello,

F77 seems pretty perfect for my needs but I heard that the controller of the keyboard does not support ps/2. Is this correct? If these keyboards use their own USB protocol then apparently any adapters are useless.

I am looking for some nice mechanical keyboard for my retro PC build and this is the reason I need ps/2.

Ellipse

28 Feb 2016, 23:42

JuZ0 yes such a product exists (active USB to PS/2 adapter), but I'm not sure it's easy to order:

https://www.bellequip.at/hersteller/ihs ... erterkabel

Part number 436-UP

Also I'm sure someone could make a USB (HID) keyboard to PS/2 adapter using a Teensy or similar device. This keyboard uses the regular USB HID keyboard protocol - no special drivers need to be installed.

gnarlsagan

28 Feb 2016, 23:48

I would be very interested in non-Unicomp black blanks.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Feb 2016, 00:39

@Ellipse
I think there's more demand for that unstepped cap outside the F62/F77 group buy, maybe you should advertise it in a separate topic or something for more visibility.

Ratfink

29 Feb 2016, 00:41

Honestly, if sets of Ellipse caps aren't horribly expensive, I could see myself getting a full set in each color to play around with.

Ellipse

29 Feb 2016, 01:16

Ratfink I hope to include them instead of the Unicomp caps for this project (for most orders at least). Extra sets would be more to further help recoup costs for the molds, maybe $100 to $125 or so per full 101-key set.

webwit when I have some renders I will make a separate thread and interest form for the key caps - yes it does seem like there's some extra interest in the key sets and non-stepped injection molded keys.

Vizir

29 Feb 2016, 01:57

yes! more BS keycap options. I'd def be in to get some more options/colors. also, single piece keys and non-stepped caps-lock + right shift, count me in!

i might have to order a few extra non-stepped right shift for my other BS keyboards too.

Hypersphere

29 Feb 2016, 01:58

@Ellipse: I would be interested in 1 -3 extra sets of black blank mods and spacebars and 1-piece alphanumeric keycaps.

Should such an order be placed directly with Unicomp or through your site?
Last edited by Hypersphere on 29 Feb 2016, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Feb 2016, 02:24

Ellipse wrote:
Extra sets would be more to further help recoup costs for the molds, maybe $100 to $125 or so per full 101-key set.
That price will buy you a very nice complete Model M.

__red__

29 Feb 2016, 02:46

fohat wrote: That price will buy you a very nice complete Model M.
Which is why spherical caps make so much sense... make something which is currently unobtainium!

lsfxz

29 Feb 2016, 10:14

Would that also mean a "proper" black right shift, and maybe even a black ISO enter?
That would be quite awesome.

By the way: Hello there, I finally gave in and created an account here. I'm the one order from Germany.

shreebles
Finally 60%

29 Feb 2016, 10:44

lsfxz wrote: By the way: Hello there, I finally gave in and created an account here. I'm the one order from Germany.
Hi and welcome!
If you want to write a longer introduction, most people do that in the "off-topic" area.
And should you ever get tired of writing everything in english, we also have a german language sub-forum where you can schwafel Deutsch all day.

One question, what makes you think that you are the only order from Germany? 8-)

lsfxz

29 Feb 2016, 18:23

shreebles wrote:
One question, what makes you think that you are the only order from Germany? 8-)
So you're telling me I'm not special anymore? Oh no!

…seems like I've been working with outdated information.

Vizir

29 Feb 2016, 23:28

I think sphericals would rock!

Return to “Group buys”