F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jan 2016, 20:15

Beautiful. A truly polished product in every respect. Great work Ellipse.

Hypersphere

23 Jan 2016, 20:22

Ausgezeichnet!

tigpha

23 Jan 2016, 20:23

I truly wish I could afford one, Ellipse. They look supreme.

Hypersphere

23 Jan 2016, 20:29

@Ellipse: Do you have a date yet when official orders will start?

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Jan 2016, 21:02

Those really are awesome.

Their magnificence even makes me briefly consider selling 2 of my 4 fully-modded F-122s to pay for one, but as beautiful as they are I simply don't think that I could live with a layout that small. I need pretty much everything on an 80+% layout, even if I gave up the numpad. And since I already have a fully-functional original F107, I just can't see it except as an investment for later re-sale.

I feel pretty confident that after seeing these beauties, someone will go through the next iteration of a project for the Holy Grail of the Model MF or MFSSK that has been dreamed of for decades.

chzel

23 Jan 2016, 21:05

fohat wrote: I feel pretty confident that after seeing these beauties, someone will go through the next iteration of a project for the Holy Grail of the Model MF or MFSSK that has been dreamed of for decades.
workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html
Thanks to idollar the time has come.

Ellipse

23 Jan 2016, 21:23

JanitorJoe - yes I expect the metal spacebar tabs to be welded to the top inner assembly for the production units. You can also buy extras for your other keyboards. They are wide enough for the thicker Model M spacebar (the type of spacebar used with this project).

Hypersphere - nope no date yet. Orders should open by the end of January, maybe sooner.

bubblebobbler

23 Jan 2016, 23:29

This isn't limited by quantity as well as time, is it?

just double-checking so that I can join last-minute after lamenting for as long as possible

Ludovician

23 Jan 2016, 23:52

bubblebobbler wrote: This isn't limited by quantity as well as time, is it?

just double-checking so that I can join last-minute after lamenting for as long as possible
They will be made to order. The more, the better.

Ellipse

24 Jan 2016, 00:16

I'm typing on the brand new F77! It is a great keyboard. Like I said with my F62 evaluation, these keyboards truly deserve the Model F moniker. The keypresses are very sharp and precise, as I'd imagine like a brand new original Model F would sound fresh out of the factory door in 1984, and maybe even a little better due to improvements in manufacturing and tolerances over the past few decades since the Model F's were introduced. There is noticeably less ringing/reverberation on these new prototypes compared to many of my original Model F keyboards, though there is still some musicality and different sounds with each key (though like I mentioned with my F62 evaluation, the keys are more consistent with each other in terms of their sound). I believe part of the reason for less ringing is the improved overall quality of the components which are able to take advantage of improvements in manufacturing accuracy, as well as the use of what I believe is a more dense, stable type of foam (the McMaster-Carr Neoprene/EDPM blend) as opposed to the less dense, disintegrating originals. Also I believe that a lot of the ringing is influenced by the condition of the foam and its relation to the top inner assembly (how tight/even the top inner assembly fits with the bottom inner assembly): the more disintegrated the foam, often the more ringing in general is what I've noticed.

I also tested the split right shift prototype and everything buckles well (though I am unable to test for the software of those two keys since I did not order prototype split right shift PCBs for either the F77 or F62).

The key will be my instructions to the factory regarding the quality control. I will ask them to test each key and make a video showing which keys sound good and which ones should have their springs replaced. For whatever reason about 10 of the springs (they sent me extra springs fortunately) did not pass my quality control. Maybe they were half a mm too tall (or stretched out a little).

A video will be forthcoming...

Hypersphere

24 Jan 2016, 01:25

@Ellipse: This just keeps getting better and better.

As you know, I am especially interested in the F62 in a HHKB layout. This would have the split Backspace (into a 1.00x Backslash/Pipe and 1.00x Backtick/Tilde key), Left Ctrl in place of CapsLock, and split Right Shift (into a 1.75x Right Shift and 1.00x Fn key).

In addition, I am interested in a Black case with (if possible) Black mods and spacebar and Pearl alphanumeric keys.

Any chance of seeing prototypes with these characteristics?

Thanks again.

courtesi

24 Jan 2016, 01:34

tigpha wrote: I truly wish I could afford one, Ellipse.
I'm in the same boat. As much as Ellipse is rushing to get production up and going I wish this GB closed more towards the middle/end of March when I can get my tax refund. Having this hit right after Christmas is a bit more brutal for me.

Not looking for pity, just the realities when you have many nieces and nephews.

Ludovician

24 Jan 2016, 01:52

You could join in on the second run which is a couple of months away.

courtesi

24 Jan 2016, 01:56

Ludovician wrote: You could join in on the second run which is a couple of months away.
Thank you for the info; I wasn't aware that there was going to be a 2nd run. The original post stated that this was going to be a one time run.

Thanks!

friendlyfloor40

24 Jan 2016, 02:43

The prototype looks yum diddly-icious I have to say
Great news

seaworthy

24 Jan 2016, 07:41

Ellipse wrote: Red for these custom requests there will be a notes section where you can enter in your request before clicking "add to cart." Have you checked out the site yet? Ordering is still disabled but all the standard options and pricing are up.

This is an amazing production run buttressed with expertise and passion. If we were car dorks instead of keyboard dorks we’s be rebuilding Porsche 911s. Pretty cool to take in all the design steps and give and take between engineering and manufacturing and prosumer users. I hope the boards deliver the same kind of long term satisfying use

Hypersphere

24 Jan 2016, 15:49

Ellipse wrote: here are the requested custom colors - please add to the list if I forgot any.

Please note that all of these colors require custom tooling and everyone wanting the color must help pay for the tooling. This is different from the custom scumnc 60% layout variation where anyone can get the layout once at least one person pays for the tooling.

Everyone interested in each type of color needs to agree on a specific Pantone number. The Pantone color on the screen does not match the actual paint color - to see something close to the actual color you'd need to go to a hardware store and look at their pantone book. Also the factory will not guarantee a match with the Pantone color you choose, just a very close approximation of the color, so you'd need to accept that going into the process. Also the factory doesn't guarantee an exact match with my Industrial Grey or off-white original Model F colors, so you'll need to know that there are no guarantees about the accuracy of any of the regular colors. RAL 7030 is not being used.

Very few people want a custom color right now - maybe 10-20 or so for all requests, out of the 249 pre-orders so far.

Red
Silver
Blue
Purple
Dark Grey
White
Pink
Green

A note that unpainted/clear coat/anodized/brushed/electrophoresis coating/sandblasting will not be offered.
Ellipse -- Is Black considered a custom color or is it one of the standard options?

kekstee

24 Jan 2016, 16:52

Black is currently listed as a standard option in the shop page. (And after looking at snoopys Kishs for too long I'm really torn between that and beige again :P)

I'm wondering though, if I fill the additional field with a couple of extra keys, will I get an additional invoice later after you verified it or do I have to try and get it right with shop items the first time around?

Steveenn

24 Jan 2016, 17:49

Is it just me, or are the barrels on the Right Shift not located in the correct position for use with a full size 2.75u key?

copter
Last Man Standing

24 Jan 2016, 18:11

I must say that I haven't seen keyboard this beautiful for a long time. I would definitely placing order if it just would support ISO.. :(

chzel

24 Jan 2016, 18:19

Of course it supports ISO, just put the right flippers in, add stabilizers and caps.
This excuse was shot down, please provide another.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

24 Jan 2016, 18:21

It does support ISO. Sounds like you'll just need to send Ellipse a note when ordering.

copter
Last Man Standing

24 Jan 2016, 18:34

Thanks from the info. Seems that I'm out of excuses, meaning that order will take place!

flabbergast

24 Jan 2016, 18:59

Steveenn wrote: Is it just me, or are the barrels on the Right Shift not located in the correct position for use with a full size 2.75u key?
I just asked something related about a page ago - Ellipse'll offer either "standard shift" or "HHKB-like split shift". Most of the photos of prototypes show the second option; but e.g. the photo of the kish plate in the last batch shows the "standard shift" option. I think.

bubblebobbler

24 Jan 2016, 21:46

Are there any pictures showing the size of the keyboard, or dimensions published anywhere?

kekstee

24 Jan 2016, 21:48

Product Dimensions: 357mm x 178mm x 29mm (F62), 423mm x 178mm x 29mm (F77)

Ellipse

24 Jan 2016, 23:29

Yep Hypersphere black is a standard option. No extra charge.

copter to pick iso, just select it from one of the layout drop down menus, and then select ISO in the key set if you want new keys. You can even add notes for custom layouts before clicking "add to cart," like if you want to have the factory split your backspace, left shift, right shift, and/or Enter keys.

bubble please see the web site which leaked recently - modelfkeyboards.com for prototype specs, which may change.

Ellipse

25 Jan 2016, 00:43

Some more prototype photos here! I forgot to order a second caps lock key in the unprinted version so you are seeing one printed key on the F77 unprinted version of the photos in this group:
DSC_8560.jpg
DSC_8560.jpg (860.27 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8528.jpg
DSC_8528.jpg (836.28 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8531.jpg
DSC_8531.jpg (890.7 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8532.jpg
DSC_8532.jpg (880.05 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8541.jpg
DSC_8541.jpg (811.32 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8549.jpg
DSC_8549.jpg (799.34 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8550.jpg
DSC_8550.jpg (805.77 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8551.jpg
DSC_8551.jpg (860.96 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8553.jpg
DSC_8553.jpg (875.06 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8554.jpg
DSC_8554.jpg (750.24 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8557.jpg
DSC_8557.jpg (839.99 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
DSC_8598.jpg
DSC_8598.jpg (884.39 KiB) Viewed 5030 times

darkspider

25 Jan 2016, 01:26

Good jobs Ellipse, it's well pictured and looks very gorgeous. I'm looking forward to see movies too.

gnarlsagan

25 Jan 2016, 01:31

Sooo nice! Definitely getting an F62 and F77. Still not sure about the gray though. What colors are people ordering?

Return to “Group buys”