F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Jul 2015, 17:48

I cant afford one right now, but put me down anyway.

Cant believe I missed all this stuff while I was at summer camp.

tootallforthis

06 Jul 2015, 21:40

I am really going to try to get at least one of these boards if not both. Just need to budget expenses.

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 22:30

Pretty much what I'm thinking too. Depending on the price and production gotchas.

Ellipse

06 Jul 2015, 23:40

What kind of production gotchas should I be looking out for?

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Jul 2015, 23:47

Ellipse wrote: What kind of production gotchas should I be looking out for?
The barrel plates being bent backwards.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 00:22

That applies to all the plates! Dorkvader had that problem with his XTant plate GB, which is having to do a second run to fix the mistake.

In general: Murphy's Law definitely applies to first production runs. Beware. And be precise to a fault!

joc

07 Jul 2015, 00:35

Do you think it would be worth it to redesign the "sandwich" plates to directly bolt together instead of relying on the original slide-to-interlock design? Alignment posts/holes could be added to ensure that the plates come together as perfectly as possible.

It seems like being able to bolt the plates together would ease the assembly/disassembly process and allow for fine tuning of the tension between the plates.

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Jul 2015, 00:53

joc wrote: Do you think it would be worth it to redesign the "sandwich" plates to directly bolt together instead of relying on the original slide-to-interlock design?
I totally believe that this would be preferable.

An added benefit would be that a wide variety of thicknesses and firmness of mats would be accommodated.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Jul 2015, 01:49

fohat wrote:
joc wrote: Do you think it would be worth it to redesign the "sandwich" plates to directly bolt together instead of relying on the original slide-to-interlock design?
I totally believe that this would be preferable.

An added benefit would be that a wide variety of thicknesses and firmness of mats would be accommodated.

My god... :o

We can make the model F better with more changes like this. Different weighted springs, smoother plastic on the barrels, maybe metal flippers?

Time to brainstorm people. :geek:

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 Jul 2015, 02:26

Oh wow, different weighted springs would be really nice.

Maybe you could optionally buy some sets of different weights in addition to the standard weight.
Metal flippers? Would that have any advantages in comparison to the normal ones?

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 11:30

Metal flippers could beat the shit out of the PCB. Which isn't generally a good thing…

Anyway, enjoying the mission creep here! Can I mention Bluetooth? Big keyboards are dangerous when tethered to your laptop. One slip and the computer leaps up flying! Stupid USB.

bhtooefr

07 Jul 2015, 11:41

Bluetooth in a F would be interesting, although I suspect power consumption would be a real problem. (Can you even scan it slower in a low-power unpaired mode that triggers repairing and full power scanning, or would that screw up the capacitance?)

derzemel

07 Jul 2015, 11:46

Muirium wrote: Can I mention Bluetooth?
Bluetooth from inside a metal case?
Doesn't the metal case function as a Faraday cage?

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 11:56

That's what the old cable port is for: placing the (non-protruding, yugh!) antenna.

I've found my dinky Bluetooth Apple Keyboard to be stupidly overpowered for the purpose. I had to be careful to unpair it before taking it out to the garden because it would gladly stay attached to another computer indoors, through several walls.

Bluetooth mice are a whole other story. They flake out all too easily. But Bluetooth keyboards are rock solid in my experience. There's so much less state getting chucked around in a given time.

andrewjoy

07 Jul 2015, 12:13

bhtooefr wrote: Bluetooth in a F would be interesting, although I suspect power consumption would be a real problem. (Can you even scan it slower in a low-power unpaired mode that triggers repairing and full power scanning, or would that screw up the capacitance?)

There is lots of space for a HUGE battery in there :)

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 12:35

Yup. I talked with Xwhatsit about Bluetooth beamsprings a while ago. He liked the apparent absurdity of the idea (which becomes much more practically appealing as you think about it) and reckons multiple month battery life should be braindead easy to achieve. But he's a busy Kiwi.

Why should Bluetooth keyboards be dinky and shit? Because Logitech says so? Fuck those guys. Bluetooth mechs for the masses! One kilogram at a time!!

Parak

07 Jul 2015, 23:20

12 volt SLA battery, like one of them alarm system batteries :D

Ellipse

07 Jul 2015, 23:35

Can anyone suggest a bluetooth system that includes a battery and can plug into the xwhatsit USB controller and fit inside a 4704? Or a cheap way of building one? This might be a good accessory, along with adding LEDs under certain keys.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

07 Jul 2015, 23:46

Muirium wrote: That's what the old cable port is for: placing the (non-protruding, yugh!) antenna.
Why not make it a contemporary telescopic radio antenna? Now there's your absurdity.

Ellipse

09 Jul 2015, 04:04

Wcass pointed me in the right direction on which silver 4704-style labels to buy, so I will be able to add serial numbers and dates to each F62/F77 with a label.

andrewjoy

09 Jul 2015, 13:59

thats cool !

if there is more than 16 can i call number 16 please :P

Ellipse

09 Jul 2015, 16:21

I expect to give out serials in order of received payment with the earliest supporters of the project given priority. I think that is fair. The labels will have no logo.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jul 2015, 16:24

I don't know if I'm #16, but if I am, I'll switch with you andrewjoy.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 16:28

How much are we talking about here, to the nearest hundred bucks say?

Ellipse

09 Jul 2015, 16:32

In the first post I mentioned a goal price of $350. Maybe less if you use your own keys. I have acceptable quotes for some of the parts but the case tooling is way out of budget from the first few estimates that came in. I may need to replace the case with a Korean custom keyboard style layered flat aluminum case to get the project down to $350. Tooling and dies are the biggest cost components, so with more orders the cost goes down.

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Jul 2015, 16:50

Have you considered getting them machined rather than casted? I know I would hate a layered style case, but a machined one would make me just as happy as a cast one.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 17:11

Count me in with Photekq. Layered is no way to go.

hammelgammler
Vintage

09 Jul 2015, 17:15

Could someone try to explain where the difference is between layered vs casted vs machined regarding the case?
A small explanation would be enough I think.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 17:16

Cast and machined are both solid. Like this:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/rea ... 11074.html

andrewjoy

09 Jul 2015, 17:18

Muirium wrote: Count me in with Photekq. Layered is no way to go.
count me 3

not that interested in layerd

Return to “Group buys”