F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

consensual-penis

07 Jun 2020, 03:50

I got it working by fiddling with the springs like he did in the video. Took a while and thought it was pointless, but it did the trick!

Now I just need qmk so I can start using the volume controls

xyzzy

07 Jun 2020, 11:04

consensual-penis wrote: Now I just need qmk so I can start using the volume controls
With the stock hhkb-layout firmware the volume controls should already be configured:
fn+a -> volume down
fn+s -> volume up
fn+d -> mute
Last edited by xyzzy on 07 Jun 2020, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

AndyGarton

07 Jun 2020, 13:05

Volume up and down don’t work for me, but oddly mute does.

consensual-penis

07 Jun 2020, 18:13

I can mute, but I can't go up and down

Pruxoid

07 Jun 2020, 19:50

consensual-penis wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 03:50
I got it working by fiddling with the springs like he did in the video. Took a while and thought it was pointless, but it did the trick!

Now I just need qmk so I can start using the volume controls
I'm facing a similar issue with my F77 - the bottom-right most key on the numpad cluster doesn't register.

Following Ellipse's Imgur guide exactly, I've done several complete EEPROM erasures and a clean firmware installs - I tried v0.9.1 and v0.9.2 (both debounce 6 and 11), none of which fixed the issue. I also tweaked the voltage threshold downwards and changed the keyboard layout on IBM Capsense but still nothing registers from this one key.

Upon visual inspection, the buckling spring and flipper seem to be seated correctly within the barrel of the problematic key. It moves normally when the keyboard is tilted back-and-forth. I tried re-seating and tweaking the spring/flipper following Ellipse's video guide but still no luck.

To rule out an issue with my computer, I tried the F77 on a different computer and there was no change.

Anyone have other ideas on what else I can do to troubleshoot this issue? I'm trying to exhaust all options before I resort to opening up the entire inner assembly to test the PCB itself. Thanks!

tentator

07 Jun 2020, 22:55

pruxoid I PM you.

about QMK: stay tuned and be patient, the pull request with the ppl from QMK is not so easy and straightforward but s in the process..

In the meantime other great news and success thanks to pandrew here: viewtopic.php?p=466111#p466111
There is now a cheap + easy to implement through hole xwhatsit HW that now also supports model F and beamsprings with QMK

tent:wq

Xovaan

08 Jun 2020, 18:14

Hey Ellipse,

In your email you mentioned that you can ship out keyboards earlier without printed keys if we pay shipping separately when the printed caps arrive in the US. Does this mean you can ship keyboards with blank keycaps installed earlier as well?

Ellipse

08 Jun 2020, 18:32

I can ship all unprinted key sets except the black blank unprinted sets. More of those key sets will be in stock with the second container shipment which should arrive late next month.

oxchamballs

09 Jun 2020, 07:19

Hey Ellipse, which email should I reply to to get my keyboard shipped without the printed keycaps? Sent an email to info@modelfkeyboards a few days back but I didn't get a reply, wondering if I sent it to the wrong account.

caiko

09 Jun 2020, 08:36

Do the stabilizers have to be pushed in all the way? I tried one and wussed out half way and already it was a nightmare getting it back out :shock: :D

Wazrach

09 Jun 2020, 11:19

caiko wrote:
Do the stabilizers have to be pushed in all the way? I tried one and wussed out half way and already it was a nightmare getting it back out :shock: :D
You want to push them in MOST of the way, then push the keycap down. Try not to depress it too hard.

Wazrach

09 Jun 2020, 11:21

My black F77 departed Heathrow at 07:18 yesterday... Christ I can't stop checking the tracking! I hope I get it this week.

caiko

09 Jun 2020, 14:58

Wazrach wrote:
caiko wrote:
You want to push them in MOST of the way, then push the keycap down. Try not to depress it too hard.
Absolutely terrifying :lol:

Wazrach

09 Jun 2020, 14:59

caiko wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 14:58
Wazrach wrote:
caiko wrote:
Absolutely terrifying :lol:
It's old news, but it's really easy to remove them with a cotton swab if you mess up. It's easier if you don't jam it in as far as it will go. xD

Ellipse

09 Jun 2020, 17:08

oxchamballs and everyone else - please allow a couple weeks for replies dealing with early shipping. I am focused on getting already-requested keyboards out and working with the factory to get out the second container shipment as soon as possible.

My QC work has been slowed down by having to open up many of keyboards to fix misplaced flippers and add a bit of solder to some leads on ribbon cables that were not soldered (I look for and fix 100% of these issues before sending out each keyboard of course). The QC from the factory definitely needs improvement to speed things along.

In order to minimize the time it takes to send out keyboards from the second container shipment (and future keyboard orders from the final round) I have asked the factory in recent weeks to load the 0.9.2 debounce 6 firmware and test that each row, column, and flipper are properly set up for all keyboards. I wrote up the testing procedure - if any rows or columns are not detected properly in xwhatsit they will touch up the solder and/or replace the controller. They will also be replacing the compact case screws with custom made T8 screws which should be a little easier to work with. The board repairs were the biggest bottleneck in getting out more keyboards each day.

AndyGarton

09 Jun 2020, 17:12

Good news on the screws, I ruined my compact case unfortunately when two of the screws got rounded off.

russypt

09 Jun 2020, 17:58

I got my F77 Industrial Gray and F62 Compact in Black last week. The shipment endured some rough handling that ripped the packaging up, so I wasn't surprised to have to replace a spring on the F62 and rotate the springs on "2" and "3", but all is working well now. The F77 box was kind of protected by the F62 one and was just solid and worked 100% out of the box.

These things are tough and serviceable just like the originals. I am typing on the F77 now and it's just as nice as my Original F AT, actually a little nicer because of the improved space bar and more manageable width. Looking forward to replacing its Unicomp keys with the SSK/Blue scheme when the dye sub keys are ready, but it's already 100% GTG. Nice work Ellipse.

Ellipse

10 Jun 2020, 02:06

Great, thanks russypt for the feedback. A good reason for the double walled cardboard box!

robo

10 Jun 2020, 04:37

jacks wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 04:11

1. Pretty much every other board is using switches that have been around a long time and are already well tested (debugged). ...

2. Nearly all other switches are contact based, and its comparatively easy to interpret the electrical signals from them...
Gotcha, thanks, that makes perfect sense!

Ellipse

12 Jun 2020, 19:49

I have now gone through noting all the early shipping requests as of now. Still have to ship many of them.

Still time to request early shipping of your new Model F without keys (check the blog for details before making your request). Please allow a week or two for me to reply.

As asked on the GH thread, confirmed everyone gets a tracking number in an email when it ships.

Also to confirm, I do install the space bar for all those who ordered one as part of a key set, as I want it to sound right for everyone. I have configured so many that it's quick for me to get it right. One can possibly damage the space bar as the little tabs can break off if the space bar is removed incorrectly.
Last edited by Ellipse on 12 Jun 2020, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

AndyGarton

12 Jun 2020, 19:58

Are you receiving my emails please Joe?

Ellipse

12 Jun 2020, 20:08

Just responded Andy

Ellipse

13 Jun 2020, 00:30

Has anyone made an unboxing video yet for their new F62 or F77? Have not seen one of those yet!

Also does anyone have a .l xwhatsit layout file for the UK or for something else I haven't yet shared on ModelFKeyboards.com/code that they could post? Would like to include it in the available layout files.

Wazrach

13 Jun 2020, 09:28

Ellipse wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 00:30
Has anyone made an unboxing video yet for their new F62 or F77? Have not seen one of those yet!

Also does anyone have a .l xwhatsit layout file for the UK or for something else I haven't yet shared on ModelFKeyboards.com/code that they could post? Would like to include it in the available layout files.
Thanks for posting my keyboard, Joe! I'm really looking forward, although I think it's stuck in customs (this is the fifth day...)

I'll try and do an unboxing video if I can muster up the courage. I want to do a review anyway, although that will be separate.

darkcruix

13 Jun 2020, 18:04

Mine are stuck in customs as well since a few days. I plan to do an unbox video when they arrive...

consensual-penis

13 Jun 2020, 18:53

I have to say, the switch over to QMK was actually really easy, download the utility to reset it, use the graphical config, compile it, flash it, and boom, you have a qmk model F

consensual-penis

13 Jun 2020, 19:01

Only thing left to do is get it running on VIA

Twst

13 Jun 2020, 20:22

Been tweaking the solenoid sound, and have settled on a little plywood glued inside to fire on.
woodsol.jpg
woodsol.jpg (199.92 KiB) Viewed 6595 times
Gives more of a thock versus the pinging from hacking directly at the chassis. ;)

depletedvespene

13 Jun 2020, 20:28

Twst wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 20:22
Been tweaking the solenoid sound, and have settled on a little plywood glued inside to fire on.
Lovely. Now the quest for the best wood type begins! :D

Twst

13 Jun 2020, 20:42

depletedvespene wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 20:28
Lovely. Now the quest for the best wood type begins! :D
Haha :lol:
And this was just some cheap scrap baltic birch. Makes me wonder how exotic hardwood types will sound :D

Return to “Group buys”