SA Dasher & SA Dancer keycap sets (Completed)

Menuhin

15 Dec 2016, 10:59

I love the color of Dasher set.
Congrats on the successful MAssdrop. It's worthwhile for the 1+ year in the planning and waiting!

zslane

08 Jan 2017, 23:14

For those of you who participated in this drop but are no longer following the MassDrop discussion page, it was announced today that all kits will be produced, even the three that did not reach MOQ (Dancer ISO, Dancer NORDE, and Dancer COLEVRAK). :D

zslane

08 Jan 2017, 23:37

And although I doubt Muirium is following this thread anymore, I'm happy to report that the ARROWS kit he inspired sold 218 kits.

gnmar2723

09 Jan 2017, 00:56

So it sounds like there will be extras or will they just produce the exact amount even though they didn't reach MOQ?

zslane

09 Jan 2017, 01:21

I'm assuming there will be lots of extra kits. Around 7 extra ISO, 16 extra COLEVRAK, and 17 extra NORDE. I don't think SP would bother to do a run of fewer than 25 of any kit.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Jan 2017, 06:42

Oh meh this MOQ gamble sucks. I went full Dasher when Dancer didn't look promising like many others probably did. Would have loved to get a Dancer set as well but can't risk keeping an order of items worth 300$ when I have to assume the ISO/Int kits get canceled :(

zslane

09 Jan 2017, 06:57

Well, ultimately there really wasn't much of a gamble involved at all. Had the Dancer kits not been pushed by MassDrop, you would have been given an opportunity to change any or all of your kits over to Dasher, or even cancel your entire order if you so chose. This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the drop description, and for some reason MassDrop doesn't widely advertise this practice, but it was mentioned (by me) numerous times in the discussion thread; pretty much every time someone expressed this very concern.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Jan 2017, 08:23

It's still a little leap of faith putting that much money on the line, having to rely on Massdrop to figure out weeks later that all kits are being made. Now I regret being a little chicken ;)

Congrats zslane, really nice color scheme, great kit design and you actually made both color scheme ISO/INT kits happen, that's pretty epic. I just wish Massdrop could figure out stuff like that 2-3 days BEFORE the drop ends and update the drop page as well as make above mentioned process a little clearer to participants.

PM'ed MD support about Dancer ... we'll see ;)

maximm

09 Jan 2017, 10:53

Nice! Going to be awesome to mix and match the keys :)

http://imgur.com/a/e4yvR

zslane

09 Jan 2017, 19:18

Wodan wrote: I just wish Massdrop could figure out stuff like that 2-3 days BEFORE the drop ends and update the drop page as well as make above mentioned process a little clearer to participants.
I completely agree that they should communicate their policies and practices more clearly to everyone, right up front in the drop description.

However, unless they have access to a crystal ball, they have no way of knowing if kits that are flagging behind on MOQ will make it or not until the very end. The flood of orders that come in at the end, especially from Chinese proxy buyers, adds substantial numbers to most kits. Decisions simply can't be made until final numbers are tallied; the picture of things 2-3 days out is woefully inaccurate.

Now maybe it could be argued that Chinese proxies don't buy ISO or NORDE kits and wouldn't contribute anything towards tipping those kits, but I guarantee you that regardless of which kits appear to be in limbo towards the end, Yanbo will always wait to see the actual final numbers (for all kits) before making any sorts of decisions as to which kits to drop and which kits to push.

In the end, I think most of the "gamble" associated with all the MOQ uncertainties can be mitigated simply through better communication. Hopefully they'll get better about that in the future.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

10 Jan 2017, 16:20

Wodan wrote: Oh meh this MOQ gamble sucks. I went full Dasher when Dancer didn't look promising like many others probably did. Would have loved to get a Dancer set as well but can't risk keeping an order of items worth 300$ when I have to assume the ISO/Int kits get canceled :(
I could be wrong, but as far as I know all kits on MD tip, with MD buying up the extras to make them reach MOQ, or by simply having smaller runs done with a special deal with SP. Either way once you see a kit up normally it is safe to assume that it will tip.

I mean, my giant Jukebox International kit "tipped" the first round, and I sure as hell know it didn't sell any more than 5 units :lol: :lol:

zslane

10 Jan 2017, 19:02

Yanbo has been hesitant to make that promise unconditionally, which is understandable. I'm sure I could find something in the Slack stream where he says something to the effect of, "...but not if only 3 orders come in...".

Whatever their policy is, it would be super helpful for them to make it clear up front where all buyers can see it and be aware of it when they contemplate placing their orders. It would go a long way towards pulling people off the fence who feel uncertain because of potential MOQ issues.

morkl

11 Jan 2017, 16:28

So, um, is there anyone who happened to order an extra Dasher TKL+ISO+Norde+Numpad that they want to get rid of?

I used the wrong card details and missed the "payment failed" notification because I was travelling with spotty internet access during the holidays :oops:

bloo

28 Mar 2017, 01:49

zslane

28 Mar 2017, 02:18

Pretty!

But not very Dasher-like. For one thing, they have the colors reversed (what they have is the Dancer colorway, not Dasher), and cylindrical keycaps are just plain wrong as an homage to the Dasher terminal.

But I can't fault them for wanting to bring lovely blue keycaps to the masses.

Honthro

28 Mar 2017, 04:06

zslane wrote: Pretty!

But not very Dasher-like. For one thing, they have the colors reversed (what they have is the Dancer colorway, not Dasher), and cylindrical keycaps are just plain wrong as an homage to the Dasher terminal.

But I can't fault them for wanting to bring lovely blue keycaps to the masses.
yours looks better

zslane

28 Mar 2017, 18:52

Thanks, Honthro!

BTW, I am probably going to run a very small, independent group buy for Dasher/Dancer 1u blanks. Please note this is for 1u blanks only. It is primarily intended for folks who want to put blanks in the top row or fill in spots in their small format, alternate layout keyboards, and for ErgoDox users who want a set of R3 blanks for their "bottom rows".

There would be six possible kits as shown in the graphic below. Each kit consists of four keycaps at $5 per kit. ErgoDox users can order 5-piece R3 kits for $6 (obviously they'll want two of them). Shipping would be $5 domestic (US) or $10 international (sent from California).

The plan is for these to be produced at the same time SP is running out all the keycaps for Dasher/Dancer, so you'd get them (from me) around the same time you'd be receiving your MassDrop order. There would be no MOQ, but there would also be no "price tiers".

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Jul 2017, 21:39

For those who entered the massdrop groupbuy for this set, check your email - due to the delay larger than one month (estimated time is now 29 September), you have to explicitely opt-in (!) in order not to be refunded - i.e. you need to confirm that you still want the keycaps. The email points to some relevant discussion post that show that massdrop is legally compelled to act like this.

Chyros

27 Jul 2017, 22:05

I suppose it's too late to enter into this for a set? XD

zslane

27 Jul 2017, 22:23

I chatted briefly with Yanbo about this. He said that historically, about 95% or so of people opt back in when this happens. The remaining few percent typically gets turned into extra inventory that MassDrop eventually makes available through drops like their Kapatoa sales.

Elrick

28 Jul 2017, 04:19

Laser wrote: you need to confirm that you still want the keycaps. The email points to some relevant discussion post that show that massdrop is legally compelled to act like this.
Saw it this morning, when trawling through hundreds of emails and replied quickly to still stay on with this 8-) .

There is NO way in Hell I will ever give up on my Dashers and Dancers no matter how much time passes. They are mine and they will have to pry my order out of my wrinkled dead hands, if it ever comes to that.

Laser
emacs -nw

28 Jul 2017, 13:14

:lol:

Griffy

19 Sep 2017, 10:48

I just got the email that my Dasher keycap-set is on route!!

I have to admit a wee drop of pee came out into my pants!

Elrick

19 Sep 2017, 13:13

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: I just got the email that my Dasher keycap-set is on route!!

I have to admit a wee drop of pee came out into my pants!

Gawdamn, how come you got it before me.... :shock: :cry: :-| ?

Griffy

19 Sep 2017, 13:23

I will probably recieve it very late since it has to go through customs and stuff. Maybe they send out the abroad packages first.

Elrick

19 Sep 2017, 13:43

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: I will probably recieve it very late since it has to go through customs and stuff. Maybe they send out the abroad packages first.
Hope so, since I'm located in the MOST isolated place on this planet (not North Korea) :D .

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Sep 2017, 13:13

Also got email. Preparing my wallet for customs ...

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Oct 2017, 16:40

dasher_hhkb.jpg
dasher_hhkb.jpg (342.99 KiB) Viewed 13544 times

Griffy

07 Oct 2017, 12:06

Wow the light blue doesnt look as intense as I thought and the dark blue looks darker then I thought.

I will see for myself soon since the postoffice took the longest they have ever done in the history of man its still in transit (how it can be possible noone knows) but could even be here today! :shock:

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Oct 2017, 13:25

The colors in the picture aren't exactly the same with the real ones! I took the pic with my phone camera. In reality they are both "paler" (more grey in them, less blue kind-of-thing) so to speak, and they do look similar to the "official" pics.

Return to “Group buys”