[IC] GMK Carbon

duynguyenle

05 Jun 2016, 02:41

Tombery wrote:
duynguyenle wrote:
I see, now is the time for me to practice my patience. May I ask what is Yuri? I don't believe I have come across that before.
This is Yuri: group-buys-f50/yuri-sa-profile-t12588.html
Lovely, hopefully this set can cover a full English ISO board? I felt like Carbon Round 1 had some of the best ISO support I have ever seen on a SA set. I'd definitely consider buying into this new set too if I can fully populate my ISO UK boards.

After that I'll be twiddling my thumbs until Carbon Round 2! :lol:

Tombery

08 Jun 2016, 19:34

XPOST from GH

As i said GB starts somewhere in July on Massdrop.

Here is the final verion of the base kit:
- Approximate price range is 130-150$
- 3 custom colors (all 3 Carbon colors)
- Layouts: 60%, 75%, tkl, 100%, wkl, 1800 look a like and cluebord (leopold fc660)
- Rich colorway variety for a gmk keyset. For example, you can eliminate orange keys completely (say only beige and gray keys).
- Code keys instead of windows. I like it more os neutral and i hope you agree with me.

Here is the final version of novelties:
- expect a price range of 70-90$
- two custom colors (gray and orange from Carbon)
- this will be a separate drop
- added lambda key (HL3 confirmed :)))

Muirium
µ

08 Jun 2016, 20:08

Just add international shipping, customs, and if you're in Britain: downright daylight robbery to calculate your final price! It's the fun game for everyone in Europe: see whose guess is closest to what it costs to reach your door! And whether MassDrop even remembers to file an export form. Whoopee!

Tombery

08 Jun 2016, 21:05

Muirium wrote: Just add international shipping, customs, and if you're in Britain: downright daylight robbery to calculate your final price! It's the fun game for everyone in Europe: see whose guess is closest to what it costs to reach your door! And whether MassDrop even remembers to file an export form. Whoopee!
I agree, it's not cheap for europeans to buy from MD. I am from Germany so i know the struggle.

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Jun 2016, 15:02

Just one very little thing I noticed.. How come you've gone with "Sys Req" instead of "Sys Rq". Was that intentional? It looks a little funny to me.

Otherwise looking great. I'm still sad about no R5, but I think I will order anyway.

Tombery

09 Jun 2016, 21:30

photekq wrote: Just one very little thing I noticed.. How come you've gone with "Sys Req" instead of "Sys Rq". Was that intentional? It looks a little funny to me.

Otherwise looking great. I'm still sad about no R5, but I think I will order anyway.
Oh my bad. Probably from other gb render. I think GMK will do it in a proper way anyway.

I wish i could make full r5 bottom row, but as you know GMK does not have R5 1.25u keys. So i had to take r5 1.5u mods out, to keep the costs low.

superdeluxe

10 Jun 2016, 00:15

Tombery wrote: - Layouts: 60%, 75%, tkl, 100%, wkl, 1800 look a like and cluebord (leopold fc660)
The FC660 thanks you for catering to his keycap desires and will definitely add this set to his wardrobe!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Jun 2016, 17:17

Is it possible to get a comparison between classic beige alphanumeric colors and these alphanumerics ?

Tombery

10 Jun 2016, 18:30

Wodan wrote: Is it possible to get a comparison between classic beige alphanumeric colors and these alphanumerics ?
I don't have classic beige but i do have recent enjoypbt keyset, which has offwhite alphas. Keep in mind photos will never display correct colros because of light, camera, monitor etc. But i hope this gives you a little bit insight how that beige looks in person.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Jun 2016, 21:43

Very very tasty. Too bad there's no imternational kit ...

But well ... GMK!

rominronin

21 Jun 2016, 12:08

I'll keep an eye out for these caps, but I must admit I'm slightly less optimistic that it will be held on massdrop. I have nothing against MD except the high European delivery fees.

It's alright for high cost items, but when delivery costs 25% of the item or thereabouts - that's just too high.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jun 2016, 13:11

Pretty sure delivery costs for these caps will be <10% ;)

Tombery

21 Jun 2016, 19:50

rominronin wrote: I'll keep an eye out for these caps, but I must admit I'm slightly less optimistic that it will be held on massdrop. I have nothing against MD except the high European delivery fees.

It's alright for high cost items, but when delivery costs 25% of the item or thereabouts - that's just too high.
This keyset will be affordable and the shipping costs are usually not that high. I am european too so i feel you. The only thing that really is pain in the butt, are the customs. I have to drive there to pay my taxes. Its not about money, its about wasted time which you cant buy...

Tombery

11 Jul 2016, 23:59

I'd like to remind you that the GB is already up and hit its MOQ already.
You will find it under folowing links:
Base set
Novelties

OP has been updated properly.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Jul 2016, 20:30

Epic sales...

Tombery

12 Jul 2016, 20:53

Wodan wrote: Epic sales...
Thanks! :D

Actually i expected around 250 sold keysets but i am very happy how it goes. I am glad people can buy such set with so many features and custom colors for a price which is below typical GMK prices. Thats something.

Unlocking the Novelties would be the most epic thing about these drops. So many GMK custom legends at once were never done before... Still 62 commits to go to unlock the lowest price :|

ideus

13 Jul 2016, 05:51

Now, that the demand on the set is over five hundred, it is very funny to read the posts warning the OP against the set, how low the demand could be considered the recent group buys on skidata+ and Beige sets, LOL.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 07:22

My theory is that Skidata+ just hitting the forums has helped making this set so incredibly successful.

shower_king

13 Jul 2016, 08:01

Wodan wrote: My theory is that Skidata+ just hitting the forums has helped making this set so incredibly successful.
respect you and no offend to you!!But why say skidata helping this set to be extremely successful?
i also respect skidata and its organizer, karura and his team have done great work.
Tombery, also have done lots of work to make this happen .
Two completely different GB and two seperately great and fabulous GB. Why atrribute the tombery's carbon 's success to skidata? very ridiculous. i always respect you and no offend on you.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 09:05

There were some worries that the similairity of the coloring scheme with Skidata+ might hurt sales of this set.
I was worried about that, too :)

But I've been a fan from the start (scroll up) but completely misjudged the dynamic here. My impression is that while Skidata+ did quite good for itself, it created a great hype about this coloring scheme when it FINALLY arrived and this helped make this set even more successful. Just look at the sales numbers, has there ever been a full GMK set that sold NEARLY as often?

Khers

13 Jul 2016, 09:18

Triumph Adler springs to mind

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 09:19

Wasn't there then ... how many did they make?

Khers

13 Jul 2016, 09:52

They sold more than 1000 sets. Similar story back then; everyone said it would be impossible to even reach MOQ, but a successful hypetrain made it possible. That set had a lot of issues though and GMK-buys had difficulties for a while as many people loudly declared they weren't value for money. I find it fascinating to follow how the "general" opinion changes over time on these matters. Some users seem to have been gifted a particularly short memory :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 11:10

Aw too bad I missed that.

Well either I missed the bad times of GMK but my experience with their GBs have been very pleasant so far. Seems like they've been stepping up their game for the consumer market.

Khers

13 Jul 2016, 11:22

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with anything I bought from GMK, considerably better buying experience than buying anything from SP...

IIRC, there were two major TA issues: LED shine through and crappy MD shipping in keycap trays that weren't made for the job, causing a lot of scratched caps. I think both parties have learned their lesson though; I know Karura has gone through quite some effort to work with GMK to increase the opacity of the caps and I don't think MD will ever ship keycaps in those trays again.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Jul 2016, 11:23

There's a 5$ option for a tray on MD… :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 11:32

Oh meeeh I thought it was a kewwwl tray.

Is there an option to add some sandpaper to the tray for another +5$ ? ;)

But shine-through doesn't bother me at all.

BimboBB

13 Jul 2016, 11:59

Is the LED shine through problem fixed? I am usually not a big fan of led's on keyboards at all, but when switching on the christmas lights on my GON board, I realized that some of the new RGB mods (think they came from Massdrop sale) have some weird shine through as well.

Tombery

13 Jul 2016, 18:13

Wodan wrote: There were some worries that the similairity of the coloring scheme with Skidata+ might hurt sales of this set.
I was worried about that, too :)

But I've been a fan from the start (scroll up) but completely misjudged the dynamic here. My impression is that while Skidata+ did quite good for itself, it created a great hype about this coloring scheme when it FINALLY arrived and this helped make this set even more successful. Just look at the sales numbers, has there ever been a full GMK set that sold NEARLY as often?
I havily doubt SKIDATA+ affected this. I'd like to call myself to be not a colorblind person and if you compare SKIDATA+ and Carbon its day and night difference. The only things they share are the words grey and orange. Compare just real Carbon and SKIDATA+ fotos. Anyway Carbon was done before Skidata+ (do not mix it with og skidata).

This sale is influenced by Carbon itself 100%. Thats fact. Just look at Carbon SA request numbers at MD. Carbon SA sold over 700 base sets (and other kits summing upto 2.7k+ sold kits together) and still its very hard to get keyset. It sells in minutes on mechmarket for premium prices. Also it will be hard to find a person who wants to get rid off Carbon. Thats probably the biggest compliment for me if people dont want to sell their Carbon sets.

Now i dont want to sound ignorant because its all about my design, so i am very confident you can pull such succesful sale also with Pulse, 1976, Penumbra and etc. Its a fact these sets are very successful and from my pov they can be easily be done as GMK keysets. Demand is here the keyword. And its very high.
BimboBB wrote: Is the LED shine through problem fixed? I am usually not a big fan of led's on keyboards at all, but when switching on the christmas lights on my GON board, I realized that some of the new RGB mods (think they came from Massdrop sale) have some weird shine through as well.
No its not fixed to 100%.

There are two factors: Plastic and molds.
GMK changed its plastic supplier to solve this issue. Since Carbon uses 3 custom colors, i'll receive the samples for new color plastic. I'll test it for color and light bleed and if everything is ok i'll approve it for production.
The molds are another reason, but you can hardly do something against it. Depending on how plastic flows during the injection, there is a possibility for a hollow space between the bars of the legend grid. So there is no guaranty that there will be no light bleed. It may happen and you can do nothing against it. I have spoken with GMK personally in this regard, so i know that i am saying. So if someone is swearing that there will be no light bleed, then take it with a grain of salt. Probably that person is not honest with you ;)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Jul 2016, 18:31

Oh meh I didn't want to turn this into a discussion ... let's just say that Skidata+ hasn't hurt the sales of GMK Carbon.

Didn't mean to steal any credit from you for the great success your set is having so far but if you believe such sales/drops happen in complete isolation and aren't affected by other events in the same community, take a look at the brilliant GMK SNES Keycap Set that failed ... 100% because of itself?

Regarding the similairity of Skidata modifiers (OG or +) with Carbon modifiers, you kind of put me into a position where I feel like I need to defend myself. You posted GMK renders where GMK actually used the exact same ABS color codes as Skidata! The GMK render on the drop page also doesn't make a night-and-day difference obvious to me. If I am missing essential renders here that make it very obvious how Skidata and Carbon modifiers are very different colors?

Well, can't wait to get mine and see the difference for myself!

Return to “Group buys”