FSSK PCBs (1st round)

Phenix
-p

10 Apr 2016, 19:30

I got them from 0100010.
But shipping was quite high (around 23$)

The other option I have would be to try out making an acrylic case. Still worried about the top-plate

lot_lizard

10 Apr 2016, 21:53

You could try making a metal top plate that would take the F barrels. I suspect you could get enough interest to have it machined as part of a group buy (i know others here have mentioned it previously). It would look nice "uncased " with a supporting base. You will need foam cut to sandwich between the top and bottom plates to hold the flippers

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Apr 2016, 22:05

I just realized at that point the only SSK part we will be using is the backplate and case.

Why don't we just copy Ellipse and make our own SSK's with metal cases?

lot_lizard

10 Apr 2016, 22:10

I agree... I thought that several days ago when you guys were originally mentioning it. While we are at it, let's make a beamspring with an SSK layout too:)

Phenix
-p

10 Apr 2016, 23:44

A custom metal case sounds really good.

btw: Around September or so I will stay by an friend - near him is an fabric which could (maybe) produce SSK (plastic) cases.

If I am going to ask them - I assume it is not a problem to sell 20 of these (at least if the price is reasoable)

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Apr 2016, 00:14

Phenix wrote:
A custom metal case sounds really good.
Haven't the twin Holy Grails always been Model Fs with all metal cases in standard M and SSK configurations (+Windows keys)?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Apr 2016, 00:24

That would be my holy grail, anyway.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Apr 2016, 00:26

Same here. All my Unsaver needs is a metal case

lot_lizard

11 Apr 2016, 00:55

The work i$ did is a massive first step. To be honest, it was really the only "unknown". He deserves huge praise..

I don't know what Ellipse's markup was for his project, but I suspect the all metal FSSK could be done for under 350 per based on his F62/77 pricing. If people were really serious, and this was going to be done on a large scale (I would like to see the following):
- All metal case
- Metal top plate for F barrels
- i$ PCB
- Metal bottom plate (with a more elegant way of bonding the plates then a nonsense bent tab and slide)
- F flippers, springs, barrels
- Foam to secure flippers
- xWhatsit controller
- Two piece caps where the inner cap would actually be a Cherry MX mount (let's say goodbye to Unicomp and start embracing double+ shots)
- Spot for tiny solenoid like the beamsprings for giggles
- LEDs for capslock/numslock (at minimum, the Phosphorglow method)

My two cents... I have already mocked up the 3D model for the buckling spring Cherry MX mount fwiw

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Apr 2016, 01:06

Nothing can withstand the power of DT! :twisted:

Next we will be making our own beam spring keyboards.

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2016, 11:49

Redmaus wrote: Same here. All my Unsaver needs is a metal case

Full metal case for the 122F , now thats what i call heavy!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

11 Apr 2016, 14:47

One can only dream

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2016, 21:09

lot_lizard wrote: The work i$ did is a massive first step. To be honest, it was really the only "unknown". He deserves huge praise.
Guau .... thanks a lot !!!

- All metal case
- Metal top plate for F barrels
If someone designs the case, I could design the metal plate and a simplified PCB for it.
I commit here to devote the small money that I am saving with the GB to test the built.

We still need the flippers and the barrels, and, to my best understanding, and despite of asking for help for free, my understanding is that ellipse is not willing to offer his help at the same price he pays others :?
For the time being, I could use barrels and flippers that I have.

And yes, I have always said that I made some money with the PCBs (to be invested in new projects). And also that the Design will be made available. I only want to test the new versions before shipping. That's all.

My two cents... I have already mocked up the 3D model for the buckling spring Cherry MX mount fwiw
Great !
Last edited by idollar on 11 Apr 2016, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2016, 21:11

BTW: the PCBs are finalised, ready for shipping ;)

lot_lizard

11 Apr 2016, 22:09

Excellent news flash about the boards being ready

I'll send out the key cap mount for printing to test it out later this week. It's actually way simpler than the current keystem once you replicate the innards of the spring holder, and easy to change out mount configurations in the design should the need arise. Should provide the same profile height if my math is correct.

In theory, we should be able to find a single outfit to mass produce the stems and flippers. Even if the keystem proves to be a dud, we still want to make flippers and springs before a bunch of yahoos turn XT's and Bigfoots into the dodo bird.

We should probably be starting a new thread. We are already hijacking the group buy

EDIT: I ordered the keystem from Shapeways today to try out... expected delivery is 4/23-26. I will go ahead and model up the F flipper/barrell unless someone already has plans done for them they would like to share. It is super basic, but if we have one already, why reinvent
Last edited by lot_lizard on 12 Apr 2016, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Apr 2016, 22:59

I vote that you guys use the names F89 and F103 for the all new, from scratch capacitive BS models. That would fit in nicely with the Ellipse F62/F77 and it will be pretty self-explanatory that they are Fs with SSK/101 layouts plus Winkeys.

Alkhar

11 Apr 2016, 23:04

Remember the april first ssk prank, well you know what, i would love to have this square logo with the term Fssk added under it :

Big thanks idollar

Phenix
-p

12 Apr 2016, 00:08

Great that the pcbs will ship out soon.

I assume it makes sense getting 2 xwhatsit, because I assume you will design another nice Model F ;)
(is someone in Germany interested in splitting shipping costs?)

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

12 Apr 2016, 00:09

Phenix wrote: Great that the pcbs will ship out soon.

I assume it makes sense getting 2 xwhatsit, because I assume you will design another nice Model F ;)
(is someone in Germany interested in splitting shipping costs?)
I am interested, I shot you soon a pm.

Phenix
-p

12 Apr 2016, 00:13

PM´ed with some informations

Phenix
-p

13 Apr 2016, 17:32

Just a short question (I lost it in the thread):
How is the connection to the PC going to be wired? (I assume use the correct ports from the xwhatsit and wire an mico/mini/USB c port to it)?

shreebles
Finally 60%

13 Apr 2016, 18:35

Phenix, I have told you this before and I will tell you again.

Please use google before asking.
These will require a Micro USB Cable and YOU WILL NEED SOLDERING SKILLS to desolder the original controller and then solder in this new one.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Xwhatsit-IBM-Mod ... 1603632658

It is a USB controller. It has a USB connection. You need a Micro USB cable to make a USB connection from the PC to this controller.
If you have a phone less than 5 years old you probably have a Micro USB cable.
The plug itself is already wired, as is evident from the pictures.

alh84001
v.001

13 Apr 2016, 18:42

@shreebles you confused me a bit there. Which original controller needs desoldering?

shreebles
Finally 60%

13 Apr 2016, 18:49

alh84001 wrote: @shreebles you confused me a bit there. Which original controller needs desoldering?
Sorry, this is a quote from orihalcon on his eBay sale.
He is referring to the installation of this controller in the Model F, where you need to desolder the old controller to put the xwhatsit in its place.

In the case of the FSSK, it does not have a controller. There is nothing to desolder, but you need to wire up the connections between the pins on the PCBs and the pins on the controller.

alh84001
v.001

13 Apr 2016, 19:03

That makes more sense :)

idollar
i$

13 Apr 2016, 21:17

Status Update:

The guys from pcbway are fantastic !
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:15:00 +0800
Subject: Re : Re: Orders have passed the audit
Hi,

Boards are ready to be sent, pls check the pictures attached.

Shipping will be arranged after we get your confirmation.
161334339t.jpg
161334339t.jpg (317.66 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
161227559t.jpg
161227559t.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 9008 times

alh84001
v.001

13 Apr 2016, 21:23

:drool:

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 06:55

Delivery time Friday ???
It is true that FRA is a main hub, but if this is true, it will be really fast.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (43.18 KiB) Viewed 8968 times

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 14:28

It is moving fast
shippment 2.jpg
shippment 2.jpg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 8943 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 14:32

Hey i$, how much did it cost for one PCB? How much do you think it would cost for one custom unsaver PCB? ;)

Return to “Group buys”