FSSK PCBs (1st round)

kmnov2017

20 Dec 2020, 12:39

Wiggles wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 08:36
I know I'm waaaay too late with this one.. Any plans for a second round? Would be awesome!
Cheers :-)
Design files are public for anyone to order PCBs on their own.

Weezer

22 Dec 2020, 20:51

cheater wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 04:18
2. I have a feeling that if the M flippers were directly contacting a rigid pcb, instead of through a soft membrane, the key feel would change. But I don't know for sure. If it does, then this could be an improvement to the key feel without having to sacrifice any F's.
Alright, but the membrane isn't soft. It's three solid, paper-thin sheets of plastic resting against the metal backplate. The key feel is mostly a product of the length of the flippers and the stiffness of the spring. The key mechanism is a form of lever, and the flipper acts as a load on that lever, so the heavier the load, the less force is needed to tip the lever. This can be noted by setting one Model M flipper and one Model F flipper straight upright and observing how the Model F flipper will tip over on its own accord, and how the Model M flipper will stay exactly upright, or by directly inserting a Model M flipper into a Model F barrel and noting the key feel. In addition, the increased surface area of the flipper corresponds with a greater actuation sound, and increased haptic feedback since a wider piece of plastic is slapping around. So if you were to successfully transfer existing Model M flippers to a Model F hybrid, it would feel nearly, if not entirely identical to a Model M.

dcopellino

23 Dec 2020, 11:19

Wiggles wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 08:36
I know I'm waaaay too late with this one.. Any plans for a second round? Would be awesome!
Cheers :-)
+1 for second round.

cods

21 Mar 2021, 11:52

Necropost - me too!

idollar
i$

10 Dec 2021, 02:41

Hello,

We are thinking on a second round ... look at this

viewtopic.php?p=496563#p496563

If you are interested, I could organise it. We could also work on a PCM with the controller integrated.

Please let me know if you are indeed interested.

Cheers

i$

gianni

10 Dec 2021, 09:16

idollar wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 02:41
Hello,

We are thinking on a second round ... look at this

viewtopic.php?p=496563#p496563

If you are interested, I could organise it. We could also work on a PCM with the controller integrated.

Please let me know if you are indeed interested.

Cheers

i$
I'd be interested in this, but I have no ssk case... I have a lot of F keyboards and barrels, but no case.

Now that the NEW ssk is available, is it possible to buy just the case? I'm in Italy, and I use ISO :-/

idollar
i$

10 Dec 2021, 19:59

gianni wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 09:16

I'd be interested in this, but I have no ssk case... I have a lot of F keyboards and barrels, but no case.

Now that the NEW ssk is available, is it possible to buy just the case? I'm in Italy, and I use ISO :-/
Hi Gianni,

Check my latest post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26629&p=496611#p496611

I am planning to work again on the FSSK, this time using the "mini m" from unicomp
You already have the difficult part to source (F barrels). The case is not an issue at all. My issue has always been these barrels.

Regarding the ISO: this is the only way to go ... you have also mapped the useless caps-lock to CTL, don't you ? ;)

If you are interested, please think on contributing also to the design phase (if this goes ahead)

Cheers

i$

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2021, 20:16

Still some love for the classic SSKs among us too, I hope! Mine’s still waiting from when I ordered back with Lot Lizard but only ever got a refund. 😅

wcass

11 Dec 2021, 03:10

I ordered the new SSK and it is nice ... except for that annoying thing with the Q key (which i hear they have a firmware fix for). I promptly ripped off the tenons (melted plastic studs) to look at the membranes and LEDs. I worked up a 16 x 6 matrix that is elegantly simple. The only issue is/was the new mini-M barrel frame. It has some ... plastic bits in the way that will need to be trimmed off. i purchased some cutters to see if they can remove the impediment, but have not had free time yet. I took the last two weeks of the year off work, so maybe then.

oh yeah, almost forgot. the tenon hole pattern on the back plate is the same for SSK and Mini-M, so one pad card should work for both.

idollar
i$

11 Dec 2021, 09:56

Thanks a lot for the very valuable information, wcass !
wcass wrote:
I ordered the new SSK and it is nice ... except for that annoying thing with the Q key (which i hear they have a firmware fix for). I promptly ripped off the tenons (melted plastic studs) to look at the membranes and LEDs. I worked up a 16 x 6 matrix that is elegantly simple. The only issue is/was the new mini-M barrel frame. It has some ... plastic bits in the way that will need to be trimmed off. i purchased some cutters to see if they can remove the impediment, but have not had free time yet. I took the last two weeks of the year off work, so maybe then.
These plastic bits should not be a big issue. Good news.
wcass wrote:
oh yeah, almost forgot. the tenon hole pattern on the back plate is the same for SSK and Mini-M, so one pad card should work for both.
Great. This was one of my big worries.

I am trying to get one in Europe. I posted my WTB here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26629
Do you know how to source it without having to pay for the extra import taxes and shipping ?
I am located in Germany.

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2021, 10:59

Annoyingly, Keyboardco doesn't have it among their Unicomp models. Also, they're in England so out of the customs union now, so not much better than importing yourself from America.

idollar
i$

11 Dec 2021, 11:25

Muirium wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 10:59
Annoyingly, Keyboardco doesn't have it among their Unicomp models. Also, they're in England so out of the customs union now, so not much better than importing yourself from America.
Thanks a lot Mu,

I already checked them ... I came to them from the "resellers" page in unicomp.

wcass

11 Dec 2021, 19:36

maybe you would be interested in a "broken" mini M?
it being in parts might be easier to get through customs.

idollar
i$

12 Dec 2021, 00:13

wcass wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 19:36
maybe you would be interested in a "broken" mini M?
it being in parts might be easier to get through customs.
This is a good idea, wcass.

shine

27 Dec 2021, 12:59

could this be done in a mopar? :D :D

vyquad

18 Mar 2022, 02:39

Based on the design, wouldnt this work with the beamspring controller?

Return to “Group buys”