FSSK PCBs (1st round)

lot_lizard

07 May 2016, 01:18

So I got her soldered up, and can confirm... IT'S ALIVE via an adhoc flipper test on a couple of keys. Does anyone care to share their layout file with me? It is fun to go through the process a few times, but at this point, would just prefer the canned .l file extension if you export yours.

Also, I am at 120 on the voltage threshold, and seems to be close enough to fire. If whoever posts the layout file could tell everyone what theirs is at, we would set before auto-calibrating

I ended up using just 40 pin jumper pin wire, like the image below, and stripped off 10 cables. Then I broke it up into two sets of cables (11 / 19, splitting on the center ground pair). The jumper pin ribbon saved me from having to precut the IDE cable into individual strands since they pull apart easily. I am proud of the solder job itself, but should have taken a little more time like i$ on sizing each strand if desiring perfection
Spoiler:
EDIT: i$... maybe add the layout file (.l extension) to the zip file?

idollar
i$

07 May 2016, 08:30

lot_lizard wrote: So I got her soldered up, and can confirm... IT'S ALIVE via an adhoc flipper test on a couple of keys. Does anyone care to share their layout file with me? It is fun to go through the process a few times, but at this point, would just prefer the canned .l file extension if you export yours.

EDIT: i$... maybe add the layout file (.l extension) to the zip file?
Attached the file that I have used with the connector in the middle (swapped pairs)
Attachments
fssk.l.bz2
(423 Bytes) Downloaded 191 times

lot_lizard

07 May 2016, 11:05

idollar wrote: Attached the file that I have used with the connector in the middle (swapped pairs)
Thank you... For some reason "swapped pairs" wasn't noticed when I first downloaded and tried. I thought... "I know the German layout isn't that different... is i$ a dvorak or colemak guy?!?" :)

Then it clicked, and I went back and read your post. I attached mine (unswapped pairs) variety below. I removed the 10-key mapping for the moment, and currently have no Fn1-3 keys or function layers. Also, 116 was the magic voltage threshold for me.

It really is exciting to see this work so nicely. I know you are probably tired of hearing people gush, but you really did an outstanding job on this stuff i$. My wife probably hates you, but I am very pleased
Attachments
fsskUnswappedPairs.zip
(485 Bytes) Downloaded 204 times

idollar
i$

08 May 2016, 15:28

lot_lizard wrote: I know you are probably tired of hearing people gush, but you really did an outstanding job on this stuff i$.
No-one can get tired of these comments, ever.
Thanks

I will add your configuration file to the first post.
Thanks a lot

Hypersphere

08 May 2016, 18:45

Received my PCB. Thanks!

Alkhar

08 May 2016, 18:58

Hello, received my PCB. Thanks idollar

idollar
i$

08 May 2016, 21:42

Hypersphere wrote: Received my PCB. Thanks!
Great !

idollar
i$

08 May 2016, 21:43

Alkhar wrote: Hello, received my PCB. Thanks idollar
Great !

Lurch

10 May 2016, 17:52

Got my PCB today. Thanks again idollar!!!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

10 May 2016, 19:36

btw in my package was not a note for somebody (or me).

idollar
i$

11 May 2016, 07:54

Lurch wrote: Got my PCB today. Thanks again idollar!!!
Great !

idollar
i$

11 May 2016, 07:55

hypkx wrote: btw in my package was not a note for somebody (or me).
In the middle of the packing process and after the mess that I created with the notes, I decided to stop it.

Great that you have gotten the PCB !

idollar
i$

13 May 2016, 07:23

Guys, there are not more spare PCBs for this GB. The last one was booked for Sayso some days ago.
I am not sending the extra ones until all the people on the regular shipping gets theirs, just in case.

HAL, Halvar, orihalcon, snoopy ... please tell us if you have received yours.
Techno Trousers ... your second unit (#27) is in your way since a week. Please keep us posted.

If anyone is interested in a new round, let me know :)

Halvar

13 May 2016, 08:35

My neigbour (male young single) has my parcel and I haven't been able to hunt him down for more than a week now. I left a note in his mailbox three days ago and it's still in there. I'm sure he only wanted to be nice but I do hate him a little bit at the moment. :?

Halvar

13 May 2016, 09:09

I like my handsome young neighbor for giving me my parcel.

This is great!

I was surprised how thin these PCBs are, no worries about bending them any more.
fsskfext.jpg
fsskfext.jpg (241.59 KiB) Viewed 18620 times
Thank you idollar!
Last edited by Halvar on 13 May 2016, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

idollar
i$

13 May 2016, 09:12

Now I will have to run against Halvar to create the first FEXT :-)

For those interested, notice the extra keys (XMIT) in the bottom row.

idollar
i$

13 May 2016, 09:15

idollar wrote: Now I will have to run against Halvar to create the first FEXT :-)

For those interested, notice the extra keys (XMIT) in the bottom row.
And looking at the picture above, you know now that there are 6 of these prototype FEXTs :lol:
One is with Halvar and one with me ...

Halvar

13 May 2016, 12:22

Which bears the question where the other four are ... :-)

I don't see me having enough time on my hands at the moment to build my FEXT fast unfortunately. I will definitely do some testing of the PCB though this weekend.

idollar
i$

13 May 2016, 13:36

Halvar wrote: Which bears the question where the other four are ... :-)
Ready to go to whoever ask for them, once you or I have tested one.
You have the key, and you know that it is call bigfeet mini-GB ;-)

Alkhar

16 May 2016, 00:33

Hello idollar
Do we have any news for the flippers / controllers GB ?
Cheers

Alkhar

idollar
i$

16 May 2016, 08:40

Alkhar wrote: Hello idollar
Do we have any news for the flippers / controllers GB ?
Cheers

Alkhar
I have seen some pictures of the flippers that Ellipse has created.
If we would know his source, we could organise it.
Ask him. I have already tried a number of times without a positive result.

idollar
i$

21 May 2016, 17:38

I have a working FEXT prototype without any problem !!!

As it should be, I am typing this post with the first of the FEXT, based on the PCB v1.00b with the XMIT keys (which I have not tested as I do not feel like breaking the case that I have)

I will post this in various threads in which this PCB is discussed.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

24 May 2016, 02:39

I'm super happy to report that PCB #27, AKA #2b, arrived safely today! idollar really outdid himself on the packaging. It was nestled inside three layers of cardboard--I think the Hulk himself would have had trouble crushing it. Plus it made me hungry as I opened it because of all the Jamon Iberica pictures on the outside box! Mmm... Ham... :)

Now to find time to actually work on the SSK!.

Thanks, idollar!

tentator

31 May 2016, 10:15

I see I'm not the only one wanting to do something similar.. even if I could already have an unsaver I'd probably not have the courage to do any mod to add winkeys on it.. ;) the navigation keys would be ok by just removing the down key and mapping it to that home in the middle.. ;)
so idollar did you have nov a rubber dome unsaver and how does it look to you? doable?

jorgenslee

13 May 2017, 08:19

Sorry to necro this thread, but just wondering if someone has an extra pcb they are willing to let go?

cheater

14 Dec 2020, 04:59

Hey, so I just wanted to ask, if we're using our own pcb, what's stopping us from using the model M flippers and springs? I mean they're plastic too, so what's the difference? I assume that the difference in capacitance can still be sensed, even if it doesn't change by the same amount.
Last edited by cheater on 19 Dec 2020, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

zrrion

14 Dec 2020, 07:03

The springs would still work, but the plastic is different and would not be sensed at all.

Weezer

14 Dec 2020, 07:13

I assume you mean capacitance. The difference in capacitance can be measured in theory since every object has a level of capacitance, but this would likely not work in that application because model m flippers only touch down on one point in the center, whereas model f flippers flap down on a large enough area to measure. The actual area that touches down on a model m flipper is only about 7mm by 3mm

Youd also have to design and calibrate your own controller.

Im not sure why youd want to do that though. Is the idea just to gain N key rollover?

cheater

19 Dec 2020, 04:18

Weezer wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:13
I assume you mean capacitance. The difference in capacitance can be measured in theory since every object has a level of capacitance, but this would likely not work in that application because model m flippers only touch down on one point in the center, whereas model f flippers flap down on a large enough area to measure. The actual area that touches down on a model m flipper is only about 7mm by 3mm

Youd also have to design and calibrate your own controller.

Im not sure why youd want to do that though. Is the idea just to gain N key rollover?
Two reasons:

1. If you want to turn your M into an F by using a capacitive pcb, but don't have a full compliment of F flippers, you could still use M flippers for some of the keys that are less important to you, and you could get started using your keyboard without delay. You could even just start with all M flippers, while you wait for F flippers to show up / get made / whatever

2. I have a feeling that if the M flippers were directly contacting a rigid pcb, instead of through a soft membrane, the key feel would change. But I don't know for sure. If it does, then this could be an improvement to the key feel without having to sacrifice any F's.

Wiggles

20 Dec 2020, 08:36

I know I'm waaaay too late with this one.. Any plans for a second round? Would be awesome!
Cheers :-)

Return to “Group buys”