FSSK PCBs (1st round)

idollar
i$

28 Feb 2016, 07:09

Hello,
DSCF6521_01.jpg
DSCF6521_01.jpg (657.94 KiB) Viewed 100817 times
If you are reading this post is probably because you have been reading about the FSSK also.

We are going to organise a group buy for the FSSK PCBs.

The price for the PCB will be 40 euros + shipping (or any interesting trade/swap proposal).

The price should cover the PCB, the shipping from China, the second shipping, the support and some money to compensate the large time that I have spend in this project, that for sure will end up invested in KB related topics.

For your information, and based in the shipping done for the FSSK prototype PCBs, these are the prices that we had.
  • Shipping in Europe costs approximately 9 euros without tracking number
  • Shipping to the USA costs approximately 17 euros without tracking number
  • Shipping into DE costs approximately 7 euros without tracking number.
You will have to add a couple of euros to cover the packing material and work.

If you are interested, please, send me a PM with the subject "I want to create a wonderful FSSK". If you have any interesting trade/swap proposal (interesting board, solenoid + solenoid driver ...), please write it. I will love to hear it. I will answer with more information on the logistics.

The PCB will be the version of the FSSK (version 1.00).

I will use the shipping of these FSSK to procure a prototype of the FEXT PCB, which means that by participating in this GB you will be contributing to the next phase of this collaborative project.

Note1: this post has been typed, of course, using the FSSK 0001.
Note2: and do not forget to register your new creation in the registration page that we have created for this purpose.

On request, the PCBs of these GB has been hand-numbered. Allocation is as follows

• PCB FSSK v1.00 - #01= FSSK 0003 - idollar - Working keyboard
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #02 - Techno Trousers - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #03 - HAL - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #04 - Alkhar - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #05 - Khers - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #06 - hypkx - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #07 - Phenix - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #08 - Halvar - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #09 - lot_lizard - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #10 - alh84001 - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #11 - ramnes - received damaged. Pending wayforward
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #12 - Lurch - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #13 - vivalarevolución- received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #14 - Redmaus- received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #15 - Hypersphere - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #16 - elRetto - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #17 - orihalcon - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #18 - pyrelink- received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #19 - phosphorglow- received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #20 - micrex22 - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #21 - booked for Muramasa (pending confirmation)
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #22 -
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #23 - lot_lizard - received
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #24 -
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #25 - snoopy
  • PCB FSSK v1.00 - #42 - ramnes replacement
  • PCB FEXT v1.00b - #02 - Halvar
  • PCB FEXT v1.00b - #03 - orihalcon
  • PCB FEXT v1.00b - #04 - lot_lizard
  • PCB FEXT v1.00b - #05 - idollar
BTW - I keep typing with the FSSK 003 all these posts.

Cheers

i$
Last edited by idollar on 26 May 2016, 13:29, edited 52 times in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

29 Feb 2016, 02:20

I'm in for one--funds sent! This will definitely be an interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing how the FEXT project comes along as well. I have a very old school 1390131 with a barcode label, that could use a Model F upgrade.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Feb 2016, 03:56

When will orders close?

scottc

29 Feb 2016, 09:59

So for this, we'll need:
- An Xwhatsit Model F controller
- 87 x Model F flippers

Do we still need to manually bend the PCB to fit it in? What about connectors between the PCB and controller?

Halvar

29 Feb 2016, 10:25

idollar has added some explanations, including a list of what's needed, into the first post here:

workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

I'm in, too!

scottc

29 Feb 2016, 11:35

Thanks Halvar. I don't see anything about bending the 1.0 version of the PCB or how to connect the controller in the first post though.

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 12:14

scottc wrote: Thanks Halvar. I don't see anything about bending the 1.0 version of the PCB or how to connect the controller in the first post though.
(1) The PCB shall be curved before mounting it. This is a VERY SIMPLE action that, it needed I can document with pictures. It just consist on covering the PCB with paper (to avoid the glue on it), heating the PCB, manually curve it, and hold it in this position with strong packaging tape. Put it in a cold place for 5 mins. Leave it some other 10 minutes. Undo the thing. The PCB will remain curved enough to follow the keyboard shape.

I did this process 10 times with all the prototypes, only because we also had to patch some traces also. I wanted to ship working PCBs (already patched) but the bending would break the patches, so they were curved before. The shipping is more complicated when curved. I will not curve the PCBs this time unless it is absolutely necessary. As I said, it is VERY SIMPLE.

(2) The cable to/from the PCB from/to the controller will not be included. This can be obtained from any electronic company or even use multiple or reuse an old hardisk cable.

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 12:15

photekq wrote: When will orders close?
What about three weeks ?March the 20th.

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 12:18

Halvar wrote: idollar has added some explanations, including a list of what's needed, into the first post here:

workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

I'm in, too!
Do not hesitate to ask questions about the summary in the first post. I will update it with your comments.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

29 Feb 2016, 12:51

I'd really love to make a FSSK, but the fact that I need to get all the different parts on different places, that the PCB must be bent manually, and that I need to make a bolt mod on top of that, makes me hesitant to enter.

I know this is easier said than done, but I think you would gain much more orders by providing a full package ready to install: PCB, controller, flippers and bolts. Plus, at that level of niche-tude, you could ask any price for the whole package, that wouldn't change much I guess.

And sorry in advance if I sound like a douchebag here. :(

scottc

29 Feb 2016, 12:56

idollar wrote: (2) The cable to/from the PCB from/to the controller will not be included. This can be obtained from any electronic company or even use multiple or reuse an old hardisk cable.
What does this mean? We have to cut up and repurpose old cables, or will a PATA cable just slot on naturally?

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 14:39

ramnes wrote: I'd really love to make a FSSK, but the fact that I need to get all the different parts on different places, that the PCB must be bent manually, and that I need to make a bolt mod on top of that, makes me hesitant to enter.

I know this is easier said than done, but I think you would gain much more orders by providing a full package ready to install: PCB, controller, flippers and bolts. Plus, at that level of niche-tude, you could ask any price for the whole package, that wouldn't change much I guess.

And sorry in advance if I sound like a douchebag here. :(
Sorry rammes, this will require effort and time that I do not have.

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 14:44

scottc wrote:
idollar wrote: (2) The cable to/from the PCB from/to the controller will not be included. This can be obtained from any electronic company or even use multiple or reuse an old hardisk cable.
What does this mean? We have to cut up and repurpose old cables, or will a PATA cable just slot on naturally?
Soldering is required. No connector is included. Just the PCB.

I have used a PATA ribbon cable (40 wires). The 10 spares were grounded to separate rows and columns. In the middle of the cable I have used a PATA connector which allows to pug and remove the controller easily. The result can be seen in this picture: post280451.html#p280451 ... check the complete post for more information.

Muirium
µ

29 Feb 2016, 14:52

This has come up at a very busy time. I'd like to flag my interest and make sure I'm not left behind! But I've got to return to packing now.

scottc

29 Feb 2016, 14:58

Unfortunately I think I'm in the same boat as Ramnes here, I'm not sure I can reliably do all of the work required to get this working. Even if I do, I'm bound to screw it up at some point.

Is there a good source for Xwhatsit Model F controllers currently?

elRetto

29 Feb 2016, 15:05

orihalcon sells them on ebay

Khers

29 Feb 2016, 15:07

In! Can't wait to get my FSSK working!

pyrelink

29 Feb 2016, 15:08

I put in an order for a PCB myself. I love the project enough, and want an FSSK enough that I don't want to let this slip by. However it will probably be quite a while before I gather all the parts needed, and have the large amount of time required to put everything together.

scottc

29 Feb 2016, 15:08

Thanks elRetto.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Feb 2016, 17:42

I'm already in for a prototype.

To me this project is even more exciting than F62/F77. It gives me an improved version of a keyboard that I already love in the perfect layout. (Though, I'd really like 1u pads between Ctrl and Alt in case I decide to epoxy in two additional barrels on my FSSK.)

Assuming all goes well I'll post some photos.

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 17:51

XMIT wrote: I'm already in for a prototype.

To me this project is even more exciting than F62/F77. It gives me an improved version of a keyboard that I already love in the perfect layout. (Though, I'd really like 1u pads between Ctrl and Alt in case I decide to epoxy in two additional barrels on my FSSK.)

Assuming all goes well I'll post some photos.
I will check if this can be added to the PCB in the new version 1.0 without a major re-design of the rows and columns. If the answer is affirmative, they could be added, at no cost ( :-) ) as an option. If they are not used, there will make no difference for other users.

Halvar

29 Feb 2016, 18:04

Great idea!

idollar
i$

29 Feb 2016, 18:22

Halvar wrote: Great idea!
As the FEXT is largely based on the FSSK in case of a positive answer it will support it also.
Note that I removed the pads in one of the drafts as it was difficult to find a row/column solution. So do not get too excited about it. It may require major re-work

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

01 Mar 2016, 03:11

ramnes wrote: And sorry in advance if I sound like a douchebag here. :(
Yes, you are a douchebag. Not really.

I think if we have a parts list (if there is not one already, I have not looked very hard), and somebody can put together a detailed assembly guide from start to finish (again I haven't looked hard), that would seriously reduce the the perceived commitment of the project.

Also, if I figure out how to put mine together without much trouble, I might offer assembly for any interested parties (I'm across the pond, so I know that will be expensive). I've done 15-20 bolt mods and my XTant assemblies, so I have good grip on both Model M and Model F modification. That jumble of wires does seem like a time suck, though.

Touch_It

01 Mar 2016, 05:37

When the FEXT comes up I think I will purchase one even though it does appear to be a huge project, I think with time and tools I can handle it. I'd probably purchase a fssk pcb if I cared for, or ever thought I'd get an ssk.

pcaro

01 Mar 2016, 10:16

I have a SSK but not bolt modded yet. I have a FSSK PCB too but I am getting a Model M to test first the mod and changes. Although the best of this project is reversibility, the SSK is too valuable to be my first mod.

bubblebobbler

01 Mar 2016, 10:22

bugger, wish I'd bought an SSK barrel frame from mu's GB now

idollar
i$

01 Mar 2016, 13:55

bubblebobbler wrote: bugger, wish I'd bought an SSK barrel frame from mu's GB now
You can always cut an Extended M barrel plate. The holes of the EXT match the SSK. The internals of the SSK are a "cut" of the EXT. The problem is that you have to cut the metal plate also if you need the complete sandwich, and this will be harder.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 Mar 2016, 15:03

bubblebobbler wrote: bugger, wish I'd bought an SSK barrel frame from mu's GB now
:?

What GB are you talking about? Did I miss that?

Khers

01 Mar 2016, 15:06

The Unicomp GB µ's been running over the last year+

Unicomp still has some SSK barrel frames lying about which they could be persuaded to sell if you happened to ask them.

Return to “Group buys”