FSSK / FEXT PCBs (2nd round) ?

idollar
i$

13 May 2016, 14:09

Hello,

Following the success of the [GB] FSSK PCBs (1st round) I would like to know if there will be interest on having a second round.

*) Backgorund information:

I am not posting information about the origins of this project. They can be found here.
I am not posting the user manual neither. It can be found here
If you are interested to know what happened with the first GB, look at this

*) GB Conditions

The difference this time is that shipment could be combined:
  • FSSK v1.01b -> Changes will be ONLY IN THE CONNECTOR PADS that will match the ribbon cable. As usual, I will only ship it after sucessful testing.
  • FSSK v1.00 -> The one that you know
  • FEXT v1.00b -> The one that I still have to test
So, with this post I would like to check of the community has interest.
Post in this tread if you are interested. If there are more than 15 interested people, I will order.

Regarding the price (excluding shipping):
  • FSSK v1.01b -> 40 euros + shipping (or any interesting trade/swap proposal).
  • FSSK v1.00 -> 40 euros + shipping (or any interesting trade/swap proposal).
  • FEXT v1.00b -> 50 euros + shipping (or any interesting trade/swap proposal).
*) Additional information:

You can purchase the FSSK v1.00 yourself if you use the files that I have posted here

I have not posted the FEXT files because they have not been tested.

I will also post the FSSK v1.01b files once completed (and if the GB goes on)

*) Do not hesitate to ask any question.

Now it is your turn ;)

-------------------

Interest in FSSK v1.00

Interest in FSSK v1.00b

• lolpes
  • andrewjoy
  • Sayso
  • esoomenona

Interest in FEXT

• Ray
  • Techno Trousers
  • Nuum

Interested in Controller

• pcaro
  • lolpes
  • need
  • Ray
  • Khers
  • Halvar
Last edited by idollar on 21 May 2016, 22:01, edited 5 times in total.

Ray

13 May 2016, 20:34

Interested.
In an FEXT PCB

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 May 2016, 20:57

I'll be interested in at least one FEXT PCB, and possibly two. Not to brag, but I scored an incredible deal and got an obscure IBM 101 Model M terminal board with standard key caps for something like $2.75 plus shipping. It's an RG45 connector, but for this purpose, who cares! 8-)

The FEXT 1.00b PCB will have the windows key pads between ctrl and alt, right?

pcaro

15 May 2016, 21:27

Please, add the controler to the gb i$...

idollar
i$

16 May 2016, 08:41

Techno Trousers wrote: The FEXT 1.00b PCB will have the windows key pads between ctrl and alt, right?
Yes, it will.

Nuum

16 May 2016, 10:46

Interested in an FEXT PCB.

lolpes

16 May 2016, 11:03

Interested in a FSSK v1.01b

andrewjoy

16 May 2016, 11:16

may be interested in an FSSK , now i need to find a junker of an SSK

Sayso

16 May 2016, 11:36

I'am interested in one FSSK v1.01b ;)

lolpes

16 May 2016, 11:52

Also interested in a controller

esoomenona

20 May 2016, 20:10

I'm interested in FSSK, b or not, as well as a controller. If the GB could be used to piece together as many parts as possible, such as ribbon cable, etc., that'd be great as well.

need

20 May 2016, 20:28

I'm interested in a controller.

Ray

20 May 2016, 21:48

Since you added it to your first post, I am definately also interested in a controller.

Khers

21 May 2016, 11:16

I'm also interested in a FSSK controller.

Halvar

21 May 2016, 13:23

Are we talking wcass's controller when it's done? I'm interested in that, too.

idollar
i$

21 May 2016, 17:37

Halvar wrote: Are we talking wcass's controller when it's done? I'm interested in that, too.
Yes, we are taking about this controller.

idollar
i$

21 May 2016, 17:37

I have a working FEXT prototype without any problem !!!

As it should be, I am typing this post with the first of the FEXT, based on the PCB v1.00b with the XMIT keys (which I have not tested as I do not feel like breaking the case that I have)

I will post this in various threads in which this PCB is discussed.

idollar
i$

21 May 2016, 22:02

You know what ... I am thinking that it should be possible to make an FEXT with the controller built in. So there would be no need for soldering, just screw mod, replace the flippers, plug the USB and go.

We need to find how to get these flippers at a reasonable price !

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

24 May 2016, 02:41

If you can make the FEXT with a built-in controller, I would DEFINITELY be interested in that. Soldering is not my strong suit, and I feel like it would probably be more durable anyway.

tentator

30 May 2016, 16:26

Hi guys!
Ok I think it happened: I was able to get and try out a model f after many years of using model m's (mainly 122 and unicomp with trackpoint ones) and I have to say: "WOW", all what is written is absolutely true and not an hype!

Now I'd like to join and make it possible to either upgrade my model m122 to contain those marvelous model f flippers: would that be possible with one of those PCBs you mention here?

Actually to be really honest what I really would like to do is a long dream I have in my mind: to chop the model m122, like others did with the standard model m, so to make out of it basically a unsaver keyboard! (which I always looked for and never found), ideally, if the PCB is opensource and I can make modifications I'd actually do something like also mod the bottom row so to have "meta"/"window" keys between alt and ctrl on both sides (one will be win key and the other "fn") and also to have split spacebar by reusing one of those nice "code" caps others also did. How realistic you see that? :)

Otherwise I have no fear in using soldering irons or hacksaws, maybe not so good in gluing and putting together things back in...

tent:wq

Halvar

30 May 2016, 19:05

The FSSK and FEXT PCBs have the layout of the SSK and the standard Model M respectively, so the won't fit your M-122, chopped or unchopped. They're missing the function keys left of the main area, the cursor keys have a different layout, the function keys on the top have a different layout. No chance.

Your alternatives are to either buy an SSK or M-101/102 and modify that, or to look out for a genuine F-122.

Ray

30 May 2016, 21:22

tentator wrote: Otherwise I have no fear in using soldering irons or hacksaws, maybe not so good in gluing and putting together things back in...
the difference between soldering irons and hacksaws: Once soldered, it is hard to take it apart. Once sawed it is hard to join cleanly. Why don't they just undo each other? Life would be so easy!

tentator

30 May 2016, 21:30

I suppose the main reason is the firmware right?
How about the controller mentioned in this thread? Is that tmk like tmk or an xwhatsit clone?
I fear the pcb will not be so easily a matrix since it uses capacitance..?

I also have an Unicomp model m-100 Ansi so i could use or chop that one.. since I'd anyway have at least win keys (and what about split spacebar?)

Other alternatives seem very unlikely and expensive at the same time (find an unsaver an ssk or an f122 which also is big)...

Halvar

30 May 2016, 23:51

The main reason is the PCB!

The FSSK and FEXT PCBs look like this:

See how the pads on them correspond to the layouts of Model M-101 and SSK?

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 23:54

Even the SSK's circuit board looks cooler than its big brother.

tentator

31 May 2016, 00:08

why cooler? they look the same to me..?
but is only the 101 going to have the extra left and right winkeys? uhm...
anyway my question would be if I update the gerber of the pcb to match the m122 and order just a couple of pcbs in china would then the xwhatsit controller still work/be able to handle the mf122 without numpad? :) I mean where do I find more info about the controller? also is the controller that is mentioned above in this thread actually another one?
because if I'm not wrong the xwhatsit has 16x8 columns x rows so an easy unsaver would need 20x7 and with some little effor I could make it still easily fit (16x8 anyways makes more that 122 :))
basically I'd need to just do some expansion to the left and to the top on the gerber? well, don't get me wrong.. just.. it's some effort, clear.. ;)

idollar
i$

31 May 2016, 01:34

tentator wrote: why cooler? they look the same to me..?
but is only the 101 going to have the extra left and right winkeys? uhm...
anyway my question would be if I update the gerber of the pcb to match the m122 and order just a couple of pcbs in china would then the xwhatsit controller still work/be able to handle the mf122 without numpad? :) I mean where do I find more info about the controller? also is the controller that is mentioned above in this thread actually another one?
because if I'm not wrong the xwhatsit has 16x8 columns x rows so an easy unsaver would need 20x7 and with some little effor I could make it still easily fit (16x8 anyways makes more that 122 :))
basically I'd need to just do some expansion to the left and to the top on the gerber? well, don't get me wrong.. just.. it's some effort, clear.. ;)
I have designed the PCBs displayed in the picture. It can be done, indeed, but do not underestimate the effort.
The design follows strict rules about the relative routing of the two sizes, the relative grounding layers, the number of rows/columns crosses. If you add to this all the holes that are required, it gets VERY complicated.

You can find details on how this was done and the source files here:
workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

and here
workshop-f7/fssk-v1-0-installation-user ... 13551.html

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 01:59

Yup. i$'s done some epic work with this. Much appreciated!

By the way, i$: have you heard of DMA's capsense controller? It might be very well suited indeed to PCBs like this, given the fact he's dispatched Xwhatsit's keyboard-wide threshold, and instead handles analog variance better by letting each key have its own.

keyboards-f2/anyone-interested-in-an-ad ... 13819.html

I think it's got great potential.

tentator

31 May 2016, 08:58

Wow yes DMAs idea seems great and was reading his thread as well.. in particular because I'm more knowing tmk firmware so far.
Of course I really would love a 60% model f with tmk like firmware but I fear the would be too much hacksaw and glue work to be done to achieve it, right? ;)

Anyway i$ just count me in for a m101 pcb and a controller in the meantime thanks :)

tentator

01 Jun 2016, 08:40

I checked the work done here and indeed that is a great job i$!
Definitely going to be too difficult to do an unsaver without thoroughly thinking every trace here.. ;)

Return to “Group buys”