Round 4 / packing (99.8%) / shipping (99.7%)

rindorbrot

22 Apr 2013, 17:42

Wait! you must try them on a HHKB first!
(And also send me mine before you do ;))

7bit

22 Apr 2013, 21:29

ROUND3 is finished.

Now I will unpack the RETRO stuff....
:o

rindorbrot

22 Apr 2013, 21:38

How about some little photos in between? ;)

Jmneuv

22 Apr 2013, 21:39

was about to say ..

grilkip

22 Apr 2013, 21:57

7bit wrote:ROUND3 is finished.

Now I will unpack the RETRO stuff....
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Wraul

22 Apr 2013, 22:11

7bit wrote:I tried the SPH-keys on an Alps board, but I could not mount them.
:shock:

Same problem with the 122 key Model M ....
:cry:

I will send them back to SP.
:mad:
Will you please not send mine back to SP!
I still like the colors, even though they won't fit superior premium switches.

mkay.
Thank you. :D

7bit

22 Apr 2013, 22:33

They did only very few tolerable errors with the SPH and ROUND3 keys.
:-)

But the RETRO stuff has been really messed up!
:evil:

There are 2 kinds of line width for the normal text legends (things like Use, Stop, Print)!
:?

Most (almost all) symbols are too thin compared to the large letters (A-Z).

Not so the Tab key: it is as thick as Cherry would make it, but that does not match the rest of the keys.

Last but not least: They are incapable of centering the text in the upper left quarter or the key top. Instead they do it wrong and squeeze everything to the left.

JSchool

22 Apr 2013, 23:09

I'm glad I rest somewhere in the comfortable middle of being a keyboard enthusiast but not to the point where I'm measuring micrometers of font width - so I probably won't notices the flaws. :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2013, 00:12

7bit wrote:They did only very few tolerable errors with the SPH and ROUND3 keys.
:-)

But the RETRO stuff has been really messed up!
:evil:

There are 2 kinds of line width for the normal text legends (things like Use, Stop, Print)!
:?

Most (almost all) symbols are too thin compared to the large letters (A-Z).

Not so the Tab key: it is as thick as Cherry would make it, but that does not match the rest of the keys.

Last but not least: They are incapable of centering the text in the upper left quarter or the key top. Instead they do it wrong and squeeze everything to the left.
they screwed up some of the DSA keys too, but we requested those keys to be redone (on them).

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 00:17

The point is that they would have to redo all RETRO and NOIR keys to do them right. Something they surely will not do.

rknize

23 Apr 2013, 00:21

Don't these just use the standard WYSE legends? Are the more custom legends the ones that have problems?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2013, 00:28

is your ^ HUGE too?!

yeeeargh

23 Apr 2013, 01:03

if they are the same as the samples... then yes Image

Halvar

23 Apr 2013, 01:27

On the Cherry keyboard I'm typing on right now, the "I" (capital i) is left aligned in just the same way. But for the number row, 7bit is right IMO. Look at "9" and "0" and the parentheses on these caps, or at "\". I think one can get used to it though. Same for the line widths.

yeeeargh

23 Apr 2013, 02:00

the minus and underscore key looks a bit funky too. and the apostrophe which should be a typewriter apostrophe .

jabar

23 Apr 2013, 02:32

yeeeargh wrote:the minus and underscore key
looks like an en-dash / em-dash key!

JSchool

23 Apr 2013, 02:35

That capital "i" sure is straddling the edge. Almost looks like a jumper. It's suicidal! Someone talk it back!

GH1391401

23 Apr 2013, 02:54

My "I" on all my SP keycap sets is like that. Call me crazy but I love the SP profile. Very excited about this GB.

How do I use the dynamite?

rknize

23 Apr 2013, 03:32

Everything pointed out so far is pretty typical of SP using the Wyse legends. Most of the legends are crammed way to the left. Especially the keys in CamelCase like modifiers and the nav cluster.

The tab key is an exception and has been brought up in the past. If you choose their normal Tab legend that says "Tab", the weight of the arrows is correct. That one with no text is really thick for some reason.

The ANSI keys look pretty much like other SP sets I have. I saw no surprises when 7bit initially posted those pics. Keys for other layouts are not familiar to me, so I can't really comment on those.

hsu

23 Apr 2013, 05:39

So close to dropping le ugly wasdkeyboard keycaps with tiny labels...

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 10:10

matt3o wrote:is your ^ HUGE too?!
Yes, the wedge is perfect!

But look how the 6 is more to the left than the wedge. Oh well, everybody does it wrong (IBM, Cherry, ...).

They messed up the pound sterling symbol in ROUND3, it is too small. In the original Round 3 it came out perfect.

Back then $ was too small, now it is perfect.

They messed up the spherical Yen sign (= is too high on the Y).
JSchool wrote:That capital "i" sure is straddling the edge. Almost looks like a jumper. It's suicidal! Someone talk it back!
They are still in their bags so they can't fall down the table.

When I unpacked these I though they are underscore keys (like the ones on the NUMERIC kits).

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 10:20

rknize wrote:Everything pointed out so far is pretty typical of SP using the Wyse legends. Most of the legends are crammed way to the left. Especially the keys in CamelCase like modifiers and the nav cluster.

The tab key is an exception and has been brought up in the past. If you choose their normal Tab legend that says "Tab", the weight of the arrows is correct. That one with no text is really thick for some reason.

The ANSI keys look pretty much like other SP sets I have. I saw no surprises when 7bit initially posted those pics. Keys for other layouts are not familiar to me, so I can't really comment on those.
Everything right, ecept I told them how the letters should be placed and they saw PNG graphics of all the symbol keys so they should have had an idea how thick the lines should be. The legend on the Tab key is too big, any other is too thin (even thinner than the A-Z keys).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2013, 11:11

I think the worst case is the 0) key... alignment is really really bad.

Halvar

23 Apr 2013, 11:33

The Tab key looks like it's from another set, the hyphen/underscore key looks like the designer didn't know at all what a hypen or an underscore is, and the slanted apostrophes are just wrong. These are the worst cases imo.

The left-aligned legends aren't really good-looking, but at least it's a consistent pattern to left-align everything, isn't it?

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 11:41

What you call "slanted apostrophes" are prime and backprime and came out as in the list.

I always knew: centered legends are so much nicer!
:ugeek:

yeeeargh

23 Apr 2013, 12:07

still they are not the same as a typewriter apostrophe . apostrophe are really a mess and there are soooooo much symbols which are looking “similar”. well, I am not upset about it though. just wanted to mention it as in the sample picture it looks like there is a prime (the slanted single one) and the typewriter double quotes  (the staight double one)

here are some links about that (in german):
http://typefacts.de/artikel/apostroph
http://typefacts.de/artikel/grundlagen/ ... ngszeichen

Halvar

23 Apr 2013, 12:35

A prime should look like this ', not like this ´!

And even if in your font the prime was really slanted, the double prime above it on the same key should be slanted too.

http://www.creativepro.com/article/typo ... tion-marks

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 13:13

http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/rfc20

Please keep in mind: There are only 128 entries in the 7bit ASCII table, so some of these have more than one meaning, depending on where they are used.

Soarer

23 Apr 2013, 14:25

Please tell me they got the stems in the right place on the 6 unit spacebars this time... :cry:

7bit

23 Apr 2013, 14:30

I did not come so far.

Here are the 2 different line widths of text keys. Win is correct, the other 2 look too thin!
Round4_RETRO_001.jpg
Round4_RETRO_001.jpg (260.35 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Photographed with the Fuji X100, BTW.
:ugeek:

Return to “Group buys”