[MechSupply.co.uk] Devlin Novelty/Sampler Pack

UKKeycaps

19 May 2016, 21:32

PURCHASE HERE

Limited to 100 packs!

Still under the radar of the global mechanical keyboard community, Devlin keycaps are thick, high quality, sought after and can be compared to GMK keycaps in terms of craftsmanship.

These keycaps have never been available before and this supply is limited to 100 packs, get your limited set of novelty and sampler keys in new profiles before you miss out!

This buy includes the following 10 keys:

K Series (Similar to Signature Plastics SA, but thicker)

1x Orange Key with lasered 'Lamda' design
1x Random colour key with lasered 'MechSupply' text

Q Series (Similar to Signature Plastics DSA, but thicker)

1x Green key with doubleshot 'Esc' legend
1x Random colour key with lasered 'MechSupply' text
1x White blank key
1x Cyan blank key
1x Midnight blue blank key
1x Pastel green blank key
1x Random colour blank Blank key

J Series (Similar to Cherry profile)

1x Red key with lasered 'Esc' legend

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 May 2016, 22:14

Those K series look extremely thick o.o

Chyros

19 May 2016, 22:19

This is a very good point, I've always wondered why Devlin don't make more. They've been making bespoke, very well-made keyboards for ages for all kinds of customers including some pretty exotic keycaps. They're not even that far away from me.

Indicentally, Devlin were the ones who made ITW magnetic valve switches after Cortron sold them the tooling. Unfortunately they have since switched to Cherry MX.

UKKeycaps

19 May 2016, 22:23

Devlin are set in their ways. I'm pushing them to take into account the keyboard enthusiast market a bit more but it starts with this group-buy!

More to come in the future assuming these packs are semi-popular.

DarKou

19 May 2016, 22:34

Hi,

It's ABS or PBT caps ?

UKKeycaps

19 May 2016, 22:44

Like GMK, Devlin only produce ABS keycaps

Stabilized

19 May 2016, 22:53

I am down for a set, especially for under £10 shipped in the UK.

E3E

20 May 2016, 01:05

These definitely sound cool. :D

DarKou

20 May 2016, 07:23

UKKeycaps wrote: Like GMK, Devlin only produce ABS keycaps
Ok,
Thank you

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 May 2016, 08:41

I'm in. The more, the merrier. Once I get all my pending SA-profile orders, I'm kinda desperate for a new profile to binge on.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

20 May 2016, 11:57

Really interested in trying out a K series but 17 euros is a bit too much for the single keycap I want to try out. Maybe someone sells me one of their spares when it ships :D

I wonder how much a TKL set would cost. Imagine that Royal Navi set in Devlin K-series. Now that would be something :D

lolpes

20 May 2016, 14:17

Will the K series be only lasered in terms of legends?

EDIT: saw the doubleshot legends available for K series.

More info on: http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/compon ... ycaps.html

The QS series seem interesting!

Bob

10 Jun 2016, 05:16

UKKeycaps wrote: Devlin are set in their ways. I'm pushing them to take into account the keyboard enthusiast market a bit more but it starts with this group-buy!

More to come in the future assuming these packs are semi-popular.
Only 6 sample packs remaining with a whole month to go on the group buy - I'm guessing that's a good start for attaining semi-popular status!

This is the first group buy I've joined (paid on the Mechsupply website), and I was wondering: how does it work with limited quantity group buys like this if they hit the max orders before the close date? Will production get pushed forward? ;) [edit: I went looking around and found your comment to a similar question on a Reddit topic "Unfortunately not, the lead time is 8 weeks regardless" doh :cry:]

I'm keen to lay fingers on these before I commit to buying any keysets, but do you have anything in mind as far as keyset designs, or are you waiting for people to comment on the sample packs once they're shipped and received before you even start thinking about that? Hoping for teasers :)

ps. Thanks for the Access-IS you recently shipped to me - best toy I've had in a while :D

mecano

10 Jun 2016, 14:14

Spikebolt wrote: Really interested in trying out a K series but 17 euros is a bit too much for the single keycap I want to try out. Maybe someone sells me one of their spares when it ships :D

I wonder how much a TKL set would cost. Imagine that Royal Navi set in Devlin K-series. Now that would be something :D
If you buy a set I take that other K serie key you won't use (2x K keys in each pack) :twisted:.
Guess I'm on the same boat as you, wonder how these K serie thickness compare to SA sound and feel wise.

UKKeycaps

10 Jun 2016, 22:39

K series is significantly thicker than SA, take a look at the main product image :D

In terms of where to go next with Devlin keycaps once this buy is done:

1) Planck double-shot sets in K and Q series, designs possible include things similar to Skidata, nuclear data, cherry replica, anything really

2) Full doubleshot ANSI sets - No ISO enter key mould. Also no 6.25u space mould, 7u is fine though. For K series 6.25u spacebars will be sourced from SP in SA profile, same for Q series but in DSA profile.

3) Monthly (or every 2 months - or longer!) 'design your own Planck' sets, lasered legends only. Pay a set amount for a completely custom Planck set, use any font you want, choose from list of colours, any layout, any design etc. Basically it'll be like WASD keycap designer but for Planck and also the keycaps are high quality, thick and the legends are lasered.

:D

codemonkeymike

11 Jun 2016, 16:42

You should consider an ergodox pack with blank modifiers. Either way wait to test the keycaps out, just ordered a pack.

Beetwaaf

11 Jun 2016, 18:12

These sure seem great, would love to see what sets are going to become available later for Planks Q-Set, any estimates for when we're going to start seeing them?

Bob

12 Jun 2016, 06:59

UKKeycaps wrote: In terms of where to go next with Devlin keycaps once this buy is done:

1) Planck double-shot sets in K and Q series, designs possible include things similar to Skidata, nuclear data, cherry replica, anything really
Planck double-shot K series nuclear data??? YES PLEASE!!! That's gonna go great on my Acces-IS! Well, so long as I can get some extra keys like F row and number row :D

mecano

15 Jun 2016, 11:40

UKKeycaps wrote: 1) Planck double-shot sets in K and Q series, designs possible include things similar to Skidata, nuclear data, cherry replica, anything really
…solarized (aka penumbra)?
UKKeycaps wrote: 3) Monthly (or every 2 months - or longer!) 'design your own Planck' sets, lasered legends only. Pay a set amount for a completely custom Planck set, use any font you want, choose from list of colours, any layout, any design etc. Basically it'll be like WASD keycap designer but for Planck and also the keycaps are high quality, thick and the legends are lasered.
my wallet already hates you.

Taking the K series raise the most interest how about a single/dual K keys sampler?

Also what about selling blanks by small packs, like packs of 4 keys?

Finally, what are the available K serie profiles (the Devlin Site seems to indicate only one R3 equivalent) and how do they compare to SA (if differences in profile shape and height apply?).

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Jun 2016, 20:03

You folks realize these cas are in no ways news, right?

These caps are manufactured by Devlin and sold under by their "enthusiast" daughter company Qwerkeys, who became active on this forum back in 2012. Haven't heard from their rep in a while, but dont pretend their caps are anything new. Here is the thread of them announcing their initial products: vendors-f52/qwerkeys-t2075.html

UKKeycaps, are you that new distributor for QWERkeys I've heard about or are you running this independent from them? It is interesting that you seem to be offering packs of unsold stock from the old QWERkeys webshop. I would love some more information, just out of pure interest.

UKKeycaps

15 Jun 2016, 20:23

Ascaii wrote: You folks realize these cas are in no ways news, right?

These caps are manufactured by Devlin and sold under by their "enthusiast" daughter company Qwerkeys, who became active on this forum back in 2012. Haven't heard from their rep in a while, but dont pretend their caps are anything new. Here is the thread of them announcing their initial products: vendors-f52/qwerkeys-t2075.html

UKKeycaps, are you that new distributor for QWERkeys I've heard about or are you running this independent from them? It is interesting that you seem to be offering packs of unsold stock from the old QWERkeys webshop. I would love some more information, just out of pure interest.
QWERKeys wasn't Devlin's daughter company at all, just a re-seller they were partnered with. QWERKeys has been out of business for a long time, the owner is trying to sell what's left of the company (mailing list, facebook page, some left over stock, the company name etc). Devlin make the keycaps, QWERKeys was just a reseller who re-branded the keycaps (e.g. called Q series 'Qwerkeys Q series' instead of 'Devlin Q series'.

This isn't old QWERYKeys stock I'm selling, I'm not sure why you would think that considering the sampler pack has a few 'MechSupply' keycaps. MechSupply didn't exist when QWERKeys did.

I am definitely not a distributer for QWERKeys, to make it clear, QWERKeys was a re-seller like me, not a manufacturer of the actual keycaps.

I am not partnered with Devlin yet, but I will be talking to them about this before placing my next major order.

I call these keycaps new as the QWERKeys keycaps were mostly Devlin keycaps with QWERKeys 'uv printed' legends. These are the first doubleshot, lasered, custom design keycaps directly from Devlin (that are available to enthusiasts to buy reliably)

@mecano - I think K series isn't sculpted. I have white blank Q series keycaps in stock. If people really want a couple of those before this group-buy arrives (really not that much longer to wait!) let me know.

mecano

17 Jun 2016, 13:25

@UKKeycaps thank you for the offer, being more into SA these days and different row sculptures being important for me, I'm sure others will take the opportunity to test these great looking caps. Will definitively keep an eye on this thread though.

codemonkeymike

17 Jun 2016, 19:49

Any word on possibly doing an Ergodox kit with blank modifiers? or possibly just selling alpha numerics so we could buy the Ergodox modifiers from signature plastics.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Jun 2016, 21:16

Are they unable to create any new molds?
I mean 7u space bars are nice but if you want to sell numbers, you'll need some 6.25u space bars.
Do they have 1.25u mods?

Still excited about the caps but without the ability to make new molds, this will be a super nichy niche. I already have more planck kits than plancks ...

GEIST

18 Jun 2016, 02:05

UKKeycaps wrote: 3) Monthly (or every 2 months - or longer!) 'design your own Planck' sets, lasered legends only. Pay a set amount for a completely custom Planck set, use any font you want, choose from list of colours, any layout, any design etc. Basically it'll be like WASD keycap designer but for Planck and also the keycaps are high quality, thick and the legends are lasered.
This sounds exciting, especially custom designs in Q or K series. But why only for the Planck? It seems they are able to do full sets.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Jun 2016, 07:32

I have the impression they have done alot of POS keycaps with some of their profiles and lack the molds for in-between sizes like 1.25 or 1.75 keycaps.

Would definitly be interesting to get an overview of what layout are possible in which profile. And then which legends are available in doubleshot molds...

GEIST

18 Jun 2016, 10:53

But he said full ANSI doubleshot sets are possible (with a 7u spacebar), so I expected them to have all the molds except of a 6.25 spacebar. Otherwise why would he offering so many Planck keysets then?

UKKeycaps

18 Jun 2016, 13:02

Currently they lack ISO enter and 6.25 spacebar molds. The cost for these molds would be around 10K GBP each, I would have to pay for these. It's a possibility but not something I can do just yet!

GEIST

18 Jun 2016, 13:09

Of course not. You're ideas and designs already sounding much better to me, than the stuff QWERkeys did (I know their sets only from googling, they were already closed at the time I started my interest in keycaps). I just wonder why a custom Planck set instead of a regular custom set?

UKKeycaps

18 Jun 2016, 13:41

I can do full K series sets with an SA 6.25 enter and ISO enter from SP, but their lead time is huge for SA currently :O

Return to “Group buys”