OshPark Replacement Badge for IBM Model M

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 May 2016, 11:32

These badges for the fullsize IBM Model M will look similair to this, changes will be updated.
Badge1.jpg
Badge1.jpg (549.51 KiB) Viewed 16150 times
At this time pricing will be as follows and might change with demand:
OshPark has a unique price structure -

you get 3 copies of your design for $5 per square inch including ENIG (gold) finish and delivery.

This price structure makes OshPark attractive for very small runs of very small PCBs. My test run came out to $3.65. On the minus side, they use break-away tabs instead of routing the full perimeter of the boards. These need to be cleaned up with a Dremel, but i think the idea is pretty good. Full routing would have made them perfect. HASL finish would have made the text silver. I'll take more picture is you guys like it.
I will manage this group buy from now on for registered DT users only. Before any buying occurs I will keep us updated on the inforamtion /availability / ordering status of the badges with wcass, at same time giving this thread time to run so we get more potential buyers.

Disclaimer:

I am not responsible for the quality of the badges in question; I am hereby taking responsibility for the management of this groupbuy including communication, ordering, payment and shipping managment. Updates will be posted in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Order list / number of badges:

Chyros / 3
Nuum / 3
lot_lizard /3
pyrelink /3
seebart / 3
Invisius / 3
idollar / 3
alh84001 / 3
Daniel / 3
Redmaus /3
Ichigo87
Scottex /3
Halvar /3
Elrick /3
webwit /6
giokkk / 3
Sayso /3
Ray /3
Alkhar /3
hypkx /3
Mr.Bean /3
ramnes /6
pcaro /3
xauser /3
fohat /3
macharius /3
Muramasa /3
vsev /1
chzel /3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: interest check / pre-production. Shipping quotes to follow.
wcass wrote: I'll publish the files here after i test the fit. This is the 101 size - the SSK size will still need to be drawn up. It would be easy to do square badges and custom badges too. If you are looking for something special, shoot me a PM.

My skills are in drafting, so would suggest that someone volunteer to run any group buy. Or you could just order 3 from OshPark - but think that the edge quality would be better from another fab (sorry OshPark).

For anyone thinking about running a group buy, these are 0.8mm PCB; thinner PCB (0.4 or 0.6 mm) would probably look better for the thin oval badges. With any fab that is not OshPark, you will find that there is not much difference in price between ordering 10 and ordering 50 - so your cost per badge will go down quickly as you order more.

Interested? Please post in this thread! PM me for any questions.
Last edited by seebart on 09 Jun 2016, 21:35, edited 29 times in total.

need

22 May 2016, 11:39

Can SSK ones be ordered along with this if it's drawn up in time?

seebart

22 May 2016, 11:46

need wrote: Can SSK ones be ordered along with this if it's drawn up in time?
wcass wrote: This is the 101 size - the SSK size will still need to be drawn up.
Possibly, not right now. I think it might make sense to add an interest check for SSK badges, I will add that soon.

Chyros

22 May 2016, 11:59

Are you doing individual badges or batches of three? I'm up for three badges in total :) . Thanks for running this!

seebart

22 May 2016, 12:03

Chyros wrote: Are you doing individual badges or batches of three? I'm up for three badges in total :) . Thanks for running this!
Personally batches of three make more sense to me, even if someone only wants one or two I'll sort that out later. Updated your order. We are waiting on an initial update from wcass now, this is just at the beginning.

Nuum

22 May 2016, 12:05

Yay, I'd take 3 as well, just to have some spares.

Invisius

22 May 2016, 15:48

These look real cool! I have two SSKs in need of bolt modding so I might as well go full FSSK. In for three :P

alh84001
v.001

22 May 2016, 18:59

Count me in for regular ones. Still don't know for SSK ones.

seebart

22 May 2016, 19:01

alh84001 wrote: Count me in for regular ones. Still don't know for SSK ones.
One?

idollar
i$

22 May 2016, 19:04

I am also interested.
3, 6 ... whatever.

alh84001
v.001

22 May 2016, 19:06

seebart wrote:
alh84001 wrote: Count me in for regular ones. Still don't know for SSK ones.
One?
One pack of three.

Daniel

22 May 2016, 19:11

I'd take one pack of three as well. I've been looking for this for a long time... Great this is happening.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 May 2016, 19:17

I'll get a pack of three

Ichigo87

22 May 2016, 23:18

Hi, that's great !

I need one please

Scottex

23 May 2016, 11:28

three for me :D

Halvar

23 May 2016, 11:32

3 4 me 2, please!

Elrick

23 May 2016, 12:50

Please put me down for FOUR of the Badges.

seebart

23 May 2016, 14:17

Updated. 38 orders in one day. Let's see how this goes. :roll:

Chyros

23 May 2016, 15:02

Cool, looking forward to this ^^ .

webwit
Wild Duck

23 May 2016, 15:10

6 badges please.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 May 2016, 15:17

So what it the price of 3 badges shipped to the US?

From what I can decipher, it looks like they are costing $3.65 each + shipping (and is that shipping to you, first, in bulk, then re-shipping to us?)

If they are flat in an envelope it will be much cheaper than a "package"

Muirium
µ

23 May 2016, 15:20

These are produced in America. Seebart and me are planning on how to get a bunch over to Europe. If we're quick, I can handle it in July. As for orders in America? Good question. Doubt we'll do it the 7bit way! Depends if we can open up the design for anyone to order.

We're also talking about a medium sized run so the manufacturer handles smoothing the edges professionally for us. Lazy buggers like me are into that!

Halvar

23 May 2016, 15:27

So OshPark it is? Meaning 1.6mm thickness?

seebart

23 May 2016, 15:30

fohat wrote: So what it the price of 3 badges shipped to the US?

From what I can decipher, it looks like they are costing $3.65 each + shipping (and is that shipping to you, first, in bulk, then re-shipping to us?)

If they are flat in an envelope it will be much cheaper than a "package"
you get 3 copies of your design for $5 per square inch including ENIG (gold) finish and delivery.

This price structure makes OshPark attractive for very small runs of very small PCBs. My test run came out to $3.65. On the minus side, they use break-away tabs instead of routing the full perimeter of the boards. These need to be cleaned up with a Dremel, but i think the idea is pretty good. Full routing would have made them perfect. HASL finish would have made the text silver. I'll take more picture is you guys like it.
This whole GB is only alive one day fohat! Criss-cross shipping across the pond does not make sense to me. It's a little too early for this right now. Let's get the interest check done and then take it from there.

giokkk

23 May 2016, 16:24

I'll get 3 badge for the regular Model M.

Sayso

23 May 2016, 16:31

Hey,

I am in for 3 badges please ;)

Ray

23 May 2016, 17:55

In as well.

Edit: for a set of three.

cookie

23 May 2016, 18:22

They look very nice! Also the pressed in IBM logo is very authentic, I like them very much.
Unfortunately I am a Topre whore who stopped trying switches from the day the frist HHKB arrived...
I think I am totally spoiled and can't type on anything what isn't a HHKB layout :(

seebart

23 May 2016, 18:36

cookie wrote: They look very nice! Also the pressed in IBM logo is very authentic, I like them very much.
Unfortunately I am a Topre whore who stopped trying switches from the day the frist HHKB arrived...
I think I am totally spoiled and can't type on anything what isn't a HHKB layout :(
:lol: Oh well, I guess you'll be fine. This is like the IBM counterpart to your HHKB metal stickers. ;)

Alkhar

23 May 2016, 18:38

Hello i will take 3 badges
Last edited by Alkhar on 23 May 2016, 18:47, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Group buys”