[IC] First Ever Devlin Q-Series keyset voting!

UKKeycaps

28 Jul 2016, 23:12

VOTE HERE

This is what Q-Series look like:

scottc

28 Jul 2016, 23:32

What kind of price? I'd rather not sway the vote if the price is too high for me, wouldn't be fair!

UKKeycaps

28 Jul 2016, 23:40

scottc wrote: What kind of price? I'd rather not sway the vote if the price is too high for me, wouldn't be fair!
Not sure yet as Devlin haven't let me know their bulk prices yet. Most likely somewhere in between a SP set and a GMK set. (£65-80 for a TKL, although this is a very rough estimate)
Last edited by UKKeycaps on 28 Jul 2016, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

28 Jul 2016, 23:55

Alright, thanks for the info.

Bob

29 Jul 2016, 08:56

Rad-Away, for sure! Have you considered what base and child sets you'll be doing? I really like the way Overcast DSA was planned, but white on black caps was just a bit too vanilla for my liking, that and I promised myself I'd wait to see the Devlin sample pack before I joined another group buy.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jul 2016, 09:07

Will there be an International/NORDE kit available or are they missing the molds for that?

I'm having a hard time committing to keycap sets that neither mix with any of my exiting ISO-DE alphanumerics nor offer an international kit.

Other than that, looking at the font and form of the keycaps, I think Terminal and Rad-Away are surely my favourites.

While I'm not a total Planck nut, I do believe those caps would make the PERFECT Planck keycaps. Just saying :)

superdeluxe

02 Aug 2016, 00:37

Rad-Away too! Then, Skidata.

UKKeycaps

02 Aug 2016, 00:54

Skidata is leading currently. Looks like it will win. I'll make a results post in a few days.

At least 2 keysets will be produced, one full set and then one or two planck sets.

zslane

02 Aug 2016, 01:14

Are these meant to compete with DSA? They look almost spherical (but not quite), and about the same height as DSA, and uniform in terms of row profile(s).

UKKeycaps

02 Aug 2016, 01:46

I'll let the community decide that :D The K series is very similar to SA, just way thicker.

Currently it seems it will be:

- Full Q series keyset = Skidata
- Planck K series keyset = Rad-Away

Bob

02 Aug 2016, 02:48

UKKeycaps wrote: I'll let the community decide that :D The K series is very similar to SA, just way thicker.

...so no child sets? :cry:

I'm still going to wait and hope that I can get enough Rad-Away keys for my Access-IS... even if it requires a bunch of SA relegendables from SP :roll:

UKKeycaps

02 Aug 2016, 22:14

Bob wrote:
UKKeycaps wrote: I'll let the community decide that :D The K series is very similar to SA, just way thicker.

...so no child sets? :cry:

I'm still going to wait and hope that I can get enough Rad-Away keys for my Access-IS... even if it requires a bunch of SA relegendables from SP :roll:
If you message me your requirements for the Access-IS board during the group-buy, I will probably be able to sort this out for you.

Child deals will depend on what double-shot legends Devlin has beyond the basics.

duynguyenle

03 Aug 2016, 01:05

Skidata Q series :D

Where do I throw all my money?

Also have you got any updates for Royal Navy? When's the estimated shipping date?

ideus

03 Aug 2016, 01:28

I am sorry; but, considering that there are not prices neither child sets available yet, I have to qualify my vote: If price and shipping to America are not too high, I'd be in if the set covers the HHKB layout, including a 6u space bar with off centered stem, the first is a requirement for me, as it is the only layout I use now, the space bar is not required but a high motivator to join in. Color-wise, I'd say the Skidata, or maybe a Dolch set would rock.

Bob

03 Aug 2016, 05:56

UKKeycaps wrote: If you message me your requirements for the Access-IS board during the group-buy, I will probably be able to sort this out for you.

Child deals will depend on what double-shot legends Devlin has beyond the basics.
I LOVE YOU :shock:

I mean, thank you :D

salasource

03 Aug 2016, 12:43

+1 Need that International kit
RAD-AWAY looks best, could be real nuclear killer.

Bob

11 Aug 2016, 06:24

I see that Q-series Skidata has been put up on Mechsupply as "coming soon". I'm hoping that doesn't spell bad news for Rad-Away, but rather that one Devlin GB will will run at a time.

salasource

11 Aug 2016, 09:45

Bob wrote: I see that Q-series Skidata has been put up on Mechsupply as "coming soon".
Oh, that's sad. Really was hoping for Rad-Away.

Personally I think there is already too much skidata like keysets, for example original keycaps from skidata keyboard, skidata from gmk, charred orange from gmk, hack'd by geeks and with similar colors there is jtk orange on black, pmk sa carbon, gmk carbon, tai hao black orange and nostalgia. I don't want to be discouraging but do we really need another keyset with these colors?

Bob

11 Aug 2016, 12:59

salasource wrote: Oh, that's sad. Really was hoping for Rad-Away.
Personally I think there is already too much skidata like keysets, ...
My sentiments exactly. A full grey colourway is just too plain for my liking, even with the splash of orange, but subtle and popular is a good bet for a first groupbuy, so I can see why that's the first choice.

I got my Devlin sampler pack today finally and the double shot ESC with the white legend on a dark green cap looks really nice, so gonna keep hoping for Rad-Away in K series (the heavy thunk sound of those caps when bottoming out is muuuuch better than the sound of the Qs).

The midnight blue is actually a really nice colour too and would look great if it was used as the cap colour in Skidata instead of the grey as it contrasts really well against the orange, but then it's not really Skidata anymore I guess... which would be a good thing or a bad thing.

UKKeycaps

12 Aug 2016, 00:48

Skidata won by a comfortable margin so I went with that design. Established sets with established brands (recognisable names like Skidata/Raindrop) will always be more popular.

Rad-Away will still be produced in a K-Series Planck Keyset

Also available will be a Z-Series Planck set, not sure what colour scheme yet.

duynguyenle

12 Aug 2016, 00:58

UKKeycaps wrote: Skidata won by a comfortable margin so I went with that design. Established sets with established brands (recognisable names like Skidata/Raindrop) will always be more popular.

Rad-Away will still be produced in a K-Series Planck Keyset

Also available will be a Z-Series Planck set, not sure what colour scheme yet.
Which one is Z-series? Is that the Cherry lookalike?

UKKeycaps

12 Aug 2016, 01:37

They can't double-shot the Cherry/DCS like profile so I won't be offering it.

The Z-series are quite unique, here is a render from the Devlin website:

Bob

12 Aug 2016, 01:41

UKKeycaps wrote: Rad-Away will still be produced in a K-Series Planck Keyset
Sigh of relief! :)

Z series is a bit weird, but could make some really interesting sets. It puts me in mind of the Datamancer/typewriter style caps.

duynguyenle

12 Aug 2016, 03:49

UKKeycaps wrote: They can't double-shot the Cherry/DCS like profile so I won't be offering it.

The Z-series are quite unique, here is a render from the Devlin website:

Ah I see, looks very different. Reminds me of an old calculator I used to use at school.

I have a concern though, on your website, the item page for the upcoming Skidata set lists the buy as being limited to 100 sets, should I place a preorder? Seems like 100 sets will go pretty quick :lol:

Bob

15 Aug 2016, 02:16

duynguyenle wrote: Ah I see, looks very different. Reminds me of an old calculator I used to use at school.
Could you post a pic of that calculator? Was it something like one of these? The Brauns seem quite common and I couldn't easily find other round button calculators

If you find something that matches the style of caps it could be inspiration for the colour scheme.

duynguyenle

15 Aug 2016, 19:07

Bob wrote:
duynguyenle wrote: Ah I see, looks very different. Reminds me of an old calculator I used to use at school.
Could you post a pic of that calculator? Was it something like one of these? The Brauns seem quite common and I couldn't easily find other round button calculators

If you find something that matches the style of caps it could be inspiration for the colour scheme.
Hi Bob,

I don't remember what model exactly, it belonged to my old teacher, we get to use it if you forget your calculator at home, it was quite basic and didn't have all the modern functions (trigonometry and such), so no one wanted to use it. It was some old soviet era calculator, but it looked similar to this:

Phenix
-p

15 Aug 2016, 19:40

That on/off switch could look great as Enter..

duynguyenle

16 Aug 2016, 00:05

Phenix wrote: That on/off switch could look great as Enter..
Would be quite tricky to make that doubleshot methinks, the text + arrow looks a tad too tall for a standard 1u height

UKKeycaps

16 Aug 2016, 00:16

duynguyenle wrote: I have a concern though, on your website, the item page for the upcoming Skidata set lists the buy as being limited to 100 sets, should I place a preorder? Seems like 100 sets will go pretty quick :lol:
A group-buy is a pre-order :D If the 100 sets really do sell out fast, I could increase the amount. I think 100 is a good amount though.

duynguyenle

16 Aug 2016, 01:08

UKKeycaps wrote:
duynguyenle wrote: I have a concern though, on your website, the item page for the upcoming Skidata set lists the buy as being limited to 100 sets, should I place a preorder? Seems like 100 sets will go pretty quick :lol:
A group-buy is a pre-order :D If the 100 sets really do sell out fast, I could increase the amount. I think 100 is a good amount though.
No I meant a pre-preorder so I don't miss out, I sporadically have to go off for work for a few days at a time with limited internet access so :?

Return to “Group buys”