[IC] HADapter Round II (Pok3rFox, Diamonds, Splitkit) <= PRICES

For which Layout would you like to see the next HADapter kit?

WhiteFox (Focus on TrueFox)
28%
OLKB Planck/Preonic (See OP for layout)
19%
Pok3r (Mostly PN/FN mods)
43%
JD40/45like non-ortholinear 40% layouts
10%

Total votes: 134

scottc

29 Jul 2017, 10:37

I don't really understand the use case for the 6u space bar either, apart from a modern G80-1800. Considering that the spacebar is often the first key to get worn down, a replacement 7u would be nice.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jul 2017, 10:57

hypkx wrote: Thanks for the links, but they are all PBT, I own already two PBT ones :lol:
The 6u bar with the center stem is very desired by HHKB users, but I need it for my redscarf. Maybe a poll will help.
How do you want to put a 6u Cherry space bar on a HHKB?
Where do you find 6u Cherry compatible stabilizers for the HHKB?

Also most MX bases HHKB layouts use a 7u space bar because of the lack of 6u space bars and 6u flat wire stabilizers.

You need a VERY particular keyboard kit, then make your own stabilizer wire for a 6u build to work. I just don't see the mass market for that. 7u is much more common (supply and demand)

Menuhin

29 Jul 2017, 11:23

The Infinity 60% has the "True HHKB" layout supported, but not the 7uSpace-HHKU.
I am looking into building that but don't know if I need a centered or non-centered stem 6u space.

For HHKB to have MX caps, one needs to drill holes on the case for the stabilizers right? At least for the L_Shift and Enter key, even if you use those replacement PBT space bars for HHKB. Otherwise one has to mod the caps.

Khers

29 Jul 2017, 13:04

Menuhin wrote: The Infinity 60% has the "True HHKB" layout supported, but not the 7uSpace-HHKU.
I am looking into building that but don't know if I need a centered or non-centered stem 6u space.

For HHKB to have MX caps, one needs to drill holes on the case for the stabilizers right? At least for the L_Shift and Enter key, even if you use those replacement PBT space bars for HHKB. Otherwise one has to mod the caps.
There might be one kit, but the vast majority don't support a 6u spacebar.

Otherwise, outside of the modern 1800-layout, Razer's older keyboards have a 6u spacebar as well, but I think the group of people looking into putting OG doubleshots on a Razer is infinitesimal at best.

In my opinion, it makes a lot more sense to provide a 7u spacebar, as the number of users valuing one should be significantly larger.

Phenix
-p

29 Jul 2017, 15:23

isnt the group of users that 'need' a 6. 25u spacebar the largest?
Just saying:
if you got NOS DS caps: you have a 7u space.
If not and you care about: de-yellow.
But maybe that's just me thinking..

scottc

29 Jul 2017, 15:26

Image taken from the OP:

Nobody said anything about removing the 6.25u spacebar. Just the 6.0u spacebar.

Phenix
-p

29 Jul 2017, 16:20

scottc wrote:Image taken from the OP:

Nobody said anything about removing the 6.25u spacebar. Just the 6.0u spacebar.
in that case.. drop 6u

ideus

29 Jul 2017, 16:27

The 6u space bar is the main reason for me to get the split set; however, I cannot provide a strong argument to keep it in the set, maybe there is no one, but only that its not available in beige from GMK anywhere else. Personally I need it for my MX HHKB build, which is off centered and I can think of people using the same layout as well as the modern 18xx users that are not too few, but there is no a "market" waiting for it, by any means. I already have one PBT from IMSTO that is nice but definitely I would like to have one authentic, even with no real reason, just because I am a collector not just a user, which is what we mostly are here and at GH, aren't we?

Menuhin

29 Jul 2017, 16:48

I'm lost in all the messages back and forth about the 6u space bar.
Then if this small GB does not provide a 6u beige space bar:

- where can I get a Cherry / GMK "Doubleshot" ABS space bar?
- for builds that need a 6u space bar, do they need one with a centered stem or off-center stem?

ideus

29 Jul 2017, 17:06

The space bar is single shot as it does not have any legend, the GMK one is made of ABS and it is available nowhere, as far as I know; but, you can always get PBT ones from other sources like IMSTO's, whose space bars match OG Cherry base color pretty well, if not perfectly.

complex

01 Aug 2017, 16:01

Do you have an estimation of when this will go live?

Darroc

02 Aug 2017, 14:49

I need help! :D

btw: Is this "international kit" front-printing a common thing? I got these from a Zenith branded G80-1192.

Phenix
-p

02 Aug 2017, 14:51

Darroc wrote:I need help! :D

btw: Is this "international kit" front-printing a common thing? I got these from a Zenith branded G80-1192.
It isn't, You should sell me your set..now. :)

hansichen

02 Aug 2017, 14:53

Yes, these front printings are pretty rare, same for zenith branded cases!

PlastikSchnittstelle

04 Aug 2017, 22:38

ohnooo, I just realized you want to ditch the 6U spacebar?! PLEASE NOT, KEEP IT PLEASE!
I'm planing to use it with this PCB:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0
i know there is just one option with a 6U spacebar and plenty of others with 6.25U and 7U - but the layout with the 6U is the one i really want.
I was hoping for the new mold with centered-stem of course.

more and more great ideas for very compact layouts are coming from the community. getting rid of just the little 0.25 portion from the standard 6.25U spacebar can sometimes enable really nice layouts. i think you should go for the 6U spacebar because you would help to stimulate new layouts/ideas. if every keycap gb would only support just one standard layout, we would all have the same - that would be sad, right.

ideus

05 Aug 2017, 01:33

Darroc wrote: I need help! :D

Interesting thing, but wonder why does someone want to have both, ANSI US along with DE layouts, at once in a non programmable keyboard.

Phenix
-p

05 Aug 2017, 02:23

ideus wrote:
Darroc wrote: I need help! :D

Interesting thing, but wonder why does someone want to have both, ANSI US along with DE layouts, at once in a non programmable keyboard.
That's the case. I use German daily. But if I am. Coding im going to us.ansi and ubuntu, itx just nucer

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

05 Aug 2017, 15:09

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote: ohnooo, I just realized you want to ditch the 6U spacebar?! PLEASE NOT, KEEP IT PLEASE!
I'm planing to use it with this PCB:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0
i know there is just one option with a 6U spacebar and plenty of others with 6.25U and 7U - but the layout with the 6U is the one i really want.
I was hoping for the new mold with centered-stem of course.

more and more great ideas for very compact layouts are coming from the community. getting rid of just the little 0.25 portion from the standard 6.25U spacebar can sometimes enable really nice layouts. i think you should go for the 6U spacebar because you would help to stimulate new layouts/ideas. if every keycap gb would only support just one standard layout, we would all have the same - that would be sad, right.
I support this, btw I am in the same GB.

hansichen

05 Aug 2017, 15:25

Are you sure that the gb uses a centered stem 6u space bar? As far as I know all keysets so far have off centered space bars except for some topre madness. It would be idiotic to have a centered 6u in such a gb if there are no keysets which support it

PlastikSchnittstelle

05 Aug 2017, 15:50

ideus

05 Aug 2017, 17:00

That PCB supports both centered and off-centered, why are you requesting the centered?

PlastikSchnittstelle

05 Aug 2017, 17:07

obviously i didn't know that. otherwise i wouldn't had to ask.
of course that answer means that I could get along with an off-centered 6U as well.

still i think it would be nice to support layouts which could potentially use it.
but why decided GMK to make an additional centered-stem version instead of a version that hast hosts both stems, centered and off-centered. would have made more sense, right?

ideus

05 Aug 2017, 17:22

It has been explained that having a mold with both positions for the off and centered stems is not feasible due to interferences and while I have not checked it myself sounds reasonable due to the proximity of both positions for a 6u space bar. What I really do not understand is why PCB manufactures of certain commercial keyboards choose to move the stem to the center instead of using an already available design that features the centered stem, while the off centered shares the switch position with 7u space bars making the PCB less cluttered and therefore more reliable.

PlastikSchnittstelle

05 Aug 2017, 17:33

Ok, the two different stems would interfeer?
Well in that case a two-in-one version doesn't work.
Thanks, learned something new again.

hansichen

05 Aug 2017, 17:43

I think it's only because some people do stupid mx mod to their topre board and these boards have a centered stem. But I personally don't see a reason for the center stemmed one.
Last edited by hansichen on 05 Aug 2017, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Aug 2017, 17:49

Stupid? Idiotic? @hansichen, is it worth it to thrash people you don't know for a few euros?

hansichen

05 Aug 2017, 18:01

You're right, the stupid is in the wrong position, sorry. I meant stupid mx mods and not stupid people. As for a "modern" set with 1600 people joining (eg Nautilus) there are probably a few people who will use it on a topre board but for a beige set it's definetly not the target group here.

PlastikSchnittstelle

07 Aug 2017, 19:58

regarding the stem positions of the 6U spacebar.
do they really interfere?
spacebars-01.png
spacebars-01.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 14554 times
there are two 6U spacebars on the picture. one is pbt from a 1800 and the other one is abs from a german gmk dolch gb. the beige one and the one on the poker are 6.25U.
to me it looks like center and off-center stem position of the 6U spacebar doesn't interfere at all. is there another off-center position for the stem that i'm not aware of?

anyway, i still hope the 6U off-center-stem spacebar will be a part of the gb

manzel

07 Aug 2017, 20:04

The problem is that these do not interfere with each other but with a switch housing of a switch mounted in the other position.

PlastikSchnittstelle

07 Aug 2017, 20:06

AHH, OKAY!
thanks a lot, again, learned something :)

Return to “Group buys”