[IC] HADapter Round II (Pok3rFox, Diamonds, Splitkit) <= PRICES

For which Layout would you like to see the next HADapter kit?

WhiteFox (Focus on TrueFox)
28%
OLKB Planck/Preonic (See OP for layout)
19%
Pok3r (Mostly PN/FN mods)
43%
JD40/45like non-ortholinear 40% layouts
10%

Total votes: 134

Khers

17 Aug 2016, 21:16

Rimrul wrote: 1.25|1.25|1.25|6.25|1.25|1.25|1.25|1.25 bottom row, not the OG HAD 1.5|1.5|something|1.5|1.5
GMK unfortunately don't have the molds for A-profile 1.25 caps, so that's not possible.

Rimrul

17 Aug 2016, 21:39

Khers wrote:
Rimrul wrote: 1.25|1.25|1.25|6.25|1.25|1.25|1.25|1.25 bottom row, not the OG HAD 1.5|1.5|something|1.5|1.5
GMK unfortunately don't have the molds for A-profile 1.25 caps, so that's not possible.
Wodan wrote: new mold

Khers

17 Aug 2016, 21:52

I think I'm right in saying that that new mold would be for a new legend on an existing cap size, not for a new cap mold. The latter is ridiculously expensive and not something GMK will throw in for free.

Rimrul

17 Aug 2016, 22:05

It doesn't hurt to ask for a price, even if it isn't free.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 22:35

"A" profile was dropped by Cherry for a reason. There are still a few fans of this profile left but I haven't gotten enough requests to bring this forward to GMK. I am happy with Profile B bottom row so unless this is a favourite request I'm not invested. Asking doesn't hurt but there's only so many points I can bring up when getting into the details with GMK.

New molds will be a central goal for this GB but this will very likely not include new keycap dimensions.

Except maybe for a 2u space bar :)

My idea behind a perfect set/kit is one where every single key would sell as well as the kit as a whole.

duynguyenle

17 Aug 2016, 22:49

Wodan wrote: "A" profile was dropped by Cherry for a reason. There are still a few fans of this profile left but I haven't gotten enough requests to bring this forward to GMK. I am happy with Profile B bottom row so unless this is a favourite request I'm not invested. Asking doesn't hurt but there's only so many points I can bring up when getting into the details with GMK.

New molds will be a central goal for this GB but this will very likely not include new keycap dimensions.

Except maybe for a 2u space bar :)

My idea behind a perfect set/kit is one where every single key would sell as well as the kit as a whole.
It would be great it we could get the old school Windows key but coloured-in like the W95 or WXP in this picture:

I've only seen this done with dyesub printing. How possible is this to do with doubleshot moulding (tripleshot? :lol: )

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 22:52

duynguyenle wrote: I've only seen this done with dyesub printing. How possible is this to do with doubleshot moulding (tripleshot? :lol: )
The technical term for that is bukkake molding.

duynguyenle

17 Aug 2016, 23:28

Wodan wrote:
duynguyenle wrote: I've only seen this done with dyesub printing. How possible is this to do with doubleshot moulding (tripleshot? :lol: )
The technical term for that is bukkake molding.
Is that as delicious as bukkake udon?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/how- ... odles.html

:lol: :lol:

scottc

17 Aug 2016, 23:32

1.0 unit a-profile modifiers! 1.0 unit a-profile modifiers!

1.0 UNIT A-PROFILE MODIFIERS!!!!!!!

Prelim

18 Aug 2016, 01:24

ImageTHIS!

RichardinFinland

18 Aug 2016, 07:42

"A" profile dominates. Check out the arrow keys on any OG cherry dyesub set. I need mods to match so I can hit ctrl with palm easier. I could hack in some OEM profile tall caps, but its not as nice i'm sure.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Aug 2016, 08:00

I do love A profile, but guys, let's be realistic:
the way Wodan runs his GB (or at least run the first one), i.e. paying GMK upfront for the whole MOQ,
it would be unfair to have him take the (in my opinion anything but negligible) risk of not recouping his costs.
The more so as 1.25u caps in A profile just do not exist and would have to be made from scratch.

This being said, I would probably buy 2 sets myself if not too expensive :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Aug 2016, 08:44

kbdfr wrote: I do love A profile, but guys, let's be realistic:
the way Wodan runs his GB (or at least run the first one), i.e. paying GMK upfront for the whole MOQ,
it would be unfair to have him take the (in my opinion anything but negligible) risk of not recouping his costs.
The more so as 1.25u caps in A profile just do not exist and would have to be made from scratch.

This being said, I would probably buy 2 sets myself if not too expensive :lol:
RichardinFinland wrote: "A" profile dominates. Check out the arrow keys on any OG cherry dyesub set. I need mods to match so I can hit ctrl with palm easier. I could hack in some OEM profile tall caps, but its not as nice i'm sure.
scottc wrote: 1.0 unit a-profile modifiers! 1.0 unit a-profile modifiers!

1.0 UNIT A-PROFILE MODIFIERS!!!!!!!
1u "A" profile is a lot more feasible than 1.25u "A" profile. Will try to get a list of available 1u legends in "A" profile.
kbdfr wrote: Considering that
  • it still is relatively easy to get G81 (=MY switch) HAD (=German doubleshot) keyboards on the one side
    and very easy and very cheap to get G80 (=MX switch) LXXXD (=German lasered) 1800s on the other side
  • the 1800 is a nice compact keyboard, but with all keys of a standard keyboards
I would think many would be interested (but only with German legends - who would want a PgDn instead of Bild↓ just underneath his Bild↑?)
Perhaps I should offer a G80-1800 HPMDE (doubleshot caps) to check how much interest there is :mrgreen:
Same here. Is a 2.75u Shift not ANSI standard anyway? And do they have that many doubleshot 1800 sets they would want to convert to standard layout?
I haven't really seen a huge 1800 craze around here. Maybe I got a wrong impression but I felt like the original Cherry boards/layouts are much more popular in Asia and people around here mostly use their G80s for transplantation. Might have to do with availability. If I counted all the G80s I have as keyboards, I'd be in the triple digits soon (joking of course but you know ...)

The 1800 kit would also need a full nav cluster set then for consistent legends. Around 75% of the sales of the first round was not German speaking so with a German legend 1800 kit those 75% will have the mixed legends ;) Instead, I just recommend adding the other nav cluster caps.

I feel like the Asian community was looking at my HADapter kit as more of a mod kit. But I will have to ask for more feedback here. After all I was also missing the tab key for a full circle. And the Backspase (KC60 4 lyfe) was also non standard. Well if just the 2.75u right shift is enough I will include it instantly.

The more I think about it the more I feel like doing a very very basic HADapter kit in round II (aiming for vintage doubleshot windows mods) and then an IwishIHAD kit with a selection of desirable keys like:

- Pok3r PN/FN mod
- Whitefox R3/R4 PgUp/PgDn
- Split right shift
- 1u "A" profile mods
- 1u "B" profile mods
- "F" profile F-row (loooooove it nuum)

I'll not include TrueFox keys that were already part of the HADditionals kit.
Got a few of those in stock and will continue to sell them for HHKB/TrueFox/Infinity fans.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Aug 2016, 08:56

Holy FUCK

1u R4 and R5 Diamond mods:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84121.new

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Aug 2016, 09:19

Talking about 1u A profile modifiers, Alt and AltGr at least definitely exist (as moulds).
Same applies to at least the German and French version of the 1u Numpad0 (=for the 1800).
The corresponding caps (but in the lighter and not the darker vintage tone) are to be found on Alcatel MMK keyboards.
Spoiler:
Alcatel caps.jpg
Alcatel caps.jpg (810.27 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
(the 1u A profile caps with symbols are pad printed)

RichardinFinland

18 Aug 2016, 12:23

Woodan, did you speak to BSP about perhaps getting PBT mods?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Aug 2016, 12:24

Doubleshot or die!

RichardinFinland

18 Aug 2016, 12:26

Funny enough, Tai Hao doubleshoots PBT, and has a good angle on the bottom row.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Aug 2016, 12:26

I haven't seen a doubleshot PBT cap that wasn't crude crap

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

18 Aug 2016, 15:47

Whats about a 6u spacebar and I am also interested in 1u A profile mods.

Phenix
-p

18 Aug 2016, 16:56

Also interested in A row blanks/diamonds.

Could also see use for an 75% kit.

Another interesting kit would be for those split spacebar designs (clueboard, van, jd, leeku... )

TalkingTree

19 Aug 2016, 10:52

1u R5 Windows logo (v8/10) would be great.

nafsasp

22 Aug 2016, 06:59

nafsasp wrote: I would like to see a 2.75u right shift to help adapt keys from an 1800 or 11900. My only other request would be an alternative color ' # or \ | key (the darker beige). A lot of people like matching that key to their other mods on 60% boards (:
That right shift was also painfully missed by the Asian community in my first round. No idea why!

I am currently considering three things:

- HADapter Kit II (This time no ANSI adapter, just bottom row, caps lock, 2.75 right shift for 1800 sets and hopefully doubleshot vintage windows keys!)

- A second kit that - together with the new HADapter kit - will fill a nice keyboard like the WhiteFox TrueFox (1.75u right shift, pgup/pgdn keys, R1 keys for DE/US, 1.5 backspace)

- Offering single 6.25u space bars[/quote]

I think it would make more sense for the HADapter II set to include what was in HADapter, but add a few more keys to make it more of a mod kit. Even though many vintage boards have usable mods you can still end up with mismatched legends (e.g. text shift) so having a more full set of beige mods could help keep the board looking consistent.I think keeping that kit separate from a non-standard one (WhiteFox, JD40/45 etc) would be smart, since that could be a pretty expensive kit that some people will really need, and others won't need at all.

I was thinking about this more and I would love to see some more novelties get made for this, like a printed color cherry logo and a different Windows logo for that vintage look. Extra spacebars are a great idea though. Can't have too many of those haha.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

22 Aug 2016, 09:46

Maybe a dark grey spacebar (6,25u and 7u) would be a good idea.

t8c

07 Sep 2016, 15:50

Some interesting novelties as Amiga keys and the ones marked in black (idea credit goes to ba7777 and yeah I know we can't get the old Cherry logo)

Print screen with green SYS RQ text would be great. Don't really know where to look for these.

Also some of the keys from the polish programmer layout would be cool. (pic by scottc)

tofagerl

08 Sep 2016, 15:05

Could having the original HADapter kit as a third kit be an option...?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 15:49

tofagerl wrote: Could having the original HADapter kit as a third kit be an option...?
The HADapter Kit 1 was a little overpowered for quite a lot of users and has filled much of the demand for classic beige adapter kits I'm afraid. Selling 300 of this will take a very long time I'm afraid. If we scale it down a little and add 1-2 really desirable caps, we might get a few people who go for it again and a few people getting them because they're cheap. This time I am looking for a HADapter kit selling for <15€ (GB price) and a HADditionals kit that sells for 15-20€ with some real sugar in there.

tofagerl

08 Sep 2016, 15:52

Hey, I had to try ;)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Sep 2016, 15:59

tofagerl wrote: Hey, I had to try ;)
Oh yeah well no shame in that. That's what IC threads are all about ;)

Once I had time to boil down the HADapter kit to something I can present here, you're invited to make some suggestions about keys you're missing.

Also remember that there are 100+ HADapter kits out there already and chances are a great amount of them to not use all the caps included. Maybe the 2-3 special caps you're looking for are for sale somewhere?

tofagerl

08 Sep 2016, 16:00

I need all the caps who need stabs, really. I have a G81 kit...

Return to “Group buys”