[IC] HADapter Round II (Pok3rFox, Diamonds, Splitkit) <= PRICES

For which Layout would you like to see the next HADapter kit?

WhiteFox (Focus on TrueFox)
37
28%
OLKB Planck/Preonic (See OP for layout)
24
18%
Pok3r (Mostly PN/FN mods)
57
44%
JD40/45like non-ortholinear 40% layouts
12
9%
 
Total votes: 130

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 10:01

Here are the renders by user Plastikschnittstelle for the HADapter Pok3rFox kit:

Image
Please note: Keycaps displayed contain a standard Cherry "HAU" keycap set with the HADapter Pok3rFox kit and keycaps from the HADditionals (R2 Delete, R1 |\)

Image

Renders are not representative of the actual kit content!

Okay finally put together some mockups for my planned kits this round:

The Diamond kit - Finally all the DIAMONDS you will ever need, then the same again in Row-A profile:
Image
Price estimate 16€

The HADapterII aka HADapter Pok3rfox
Image
Price estimate 22€

The Split kit
Image
Price estimate 10€



I would like to start the planning phase for the next round HADapter kit. DT seems like an odd place for GMK GB IC threads but this is where I lurk most of the time so I will try to direct all discussions to this thread.

To give you an idea what I am actually looking for here, imagine the first round of HADapter kits did have special support for ANSI keyboards and offered an additional kit for HHKB/Infinity 60% keyboards.

For the next round, I would like to add support for another popular, common layout. Please participate in the poll and comment on your vote if you feel like it.

Suggested standard Planck layout
Spoiler:
Image
Let me know if you have any suggestions for other popular keyboard layouts.

Color scheme will be classic beige again. I just don't see any other color scheme that is nearly as common as this one.

IMPORTANT:
Please don't take my objections personal when suggesting keys or layouts. This will be another essentials kit and I want to keep the kit(s) very small again. This has worked well for me in the first round and will hopefully work again.
Last edited by Wodan on 28 Jul 2017, 10:54, edited 7 times in total.

pomk

17 Aug 2016, 11:32

Any chance for had to swe/fin compatability kit? It's just ten 1u keys. Would buy 15 sets instantly, as it is the only feasible way of getting cherry profile keys in that layout.

lolpes

17 Aug 2016, 11:52

I would love to see a 1.75u Enter Key for the other 40% boards out there :)

User avatar
chzel

17 Aug 2016, 11:52

Please bottom row 1u OS/app/meta/super caps so we can use it in 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 layouts! Even if they're blanks it would be nice!

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 12:13

pomk wrote: Any chance for had to swe/fin compatability kit? It's just ten 1u keys. Would buy 15 sets instantly, as it is the only feasible way of getting cherry profile keys in that layout.
Khers tried that and even with some people buying several kits, there is just not enough interest.
lolpes wrote: I would love to see a 1.75u Enter Key for the other 40% boards out there :)
What boards do you mean? JD45 ?
To make a layout interesting for these kits, I think there should be 1000+ units in the market at least.
Planck compatibility would include a lot of keys also useful in other layouts thus my interest in that layout.
chzel wrote: Please bottom row 1u OS/app/meta/super caps so we can use it in 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 layouts! Even if they're blanks it would be nice!
This has already been a hot topic in the first IC. The problem here is the profile. Making these 1u keycaps for an actual HAD set would require R5 profile. I am not sure GMK has many nice 1u modifier molds in R5 profile. And I am rather unwilling to sacrifice a free new mold (if we get any!) for such an exotic keycap. You will see many 1.5-1-1.5 bottom rows just using the 1u arrows and this actually looks okay to me.

If we wanted to do those 1u mods in R4 profile, we'd be missing the R4 1.5u modifiers ... and I don't think GMK has many nice 1.5u R4 molds ;)

Do chances are this will not make it into the final kit.

lolpes

17 Aug 2016, 12:25

JD45, JD40, Golbat, AMJ40, some layouts of the hypermicro :)

User avatar
chzel

17 Aug 2016, 12:25

Could we at least have 2 R4 blanks? You can't use arrows on a TKL...I resort to using some lasered arrows, and they suck compared to DS!

pomk

17 Aug 2016, 12:33

Wodan wrote: Khers tried that and even with some people buying several kits, there is just not enough interest.
Really? I was under the impression that he never got around to GB phase or even polled for however many sets people might buy and just folded the project. The thread was pretty quickly siderailed to basic 'this can never work' banther, which is overly typical of geekhack.

It might be easier to just run gmk-penumbra with nordic+de layout only at around 90$ per set and just call it a day. :lol:

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 12:39

chzel wrote: Could we at least have 2 R4 blanks? You can't use arrows on a TKL...I resort to using some lasered arrows, and they suck compared to DS!
I had a R4 1u "Fn" key in the original HADapter kit. Just get two of those and you're set.
lolpes wrote: JD45, JD40, Golbat, AMJ40, some layouts of the hypermicro :)
I'll pick up my JD45 from customs tomorrow and see how much I like it.

JD40/45-like will be added to the poll. Hope that doesn't break it ;)
pomk wrote: Really? I was under the impression that he never got around to GB phase or even polled for however many sets people might buy and just folded the project. The thread was pretty quickly siderailed to basic 'this can never work' banther, which is overly typical of geekhack.

It might be easier to just run gmk-penumbra with nordic+de layout only at around 90$ per set and just call it a day. :lol:
Not sure how it went but I believe I can remember him mentioning that a NORDIC kit just didn't pick up properly. I can totally see the interest but this is really nothing I should/would be running from Germany ;)

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 12:42

As expected, I broke the fucking poll. Please re-vote you foxlovers.

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2016, 12:44

I would advocate a 1800-HADapter kit, i.e. a set allowing populating those extra-cheap G80-1800s with a German HAD set (with B profile bottom row) by adding the following (1u when not specified otherwise):
B profile: 2xStrg, Alt, AltGr, 2xWin, Menu, spacebar (6u), NumPad0/Einfg, Shift (1.75u)
C profile: +
D profile: -
E profile: Entf, Ende, Bild↓

(Of course another option would be English legends, but there are not that many English vintage keysets around waiting to be completed)
Spoiler:
For your information:
A profile is the higher profile used in the bottom row in vintage Cherry boards (later replaced by B profile)
B profile is the Shift key row profile
C profile is the ASDF row profile
D profile is the QWER row profile
E profile is the Esc row profile
Edit: I must be crazy, such a set would make my doubleshot G80-1800s practically worthless :lol:

pomk

17 Aug 2016, 12:49

Wodan wrote: Not sure how it went but I believe I can remember him mentioning that a NORDIC kit just didn't pick up properly. I can totally see the interest but this is really nothing I should/would be running from Germany ;)
Haha, I understand completely! Not your fight :lol:

How about the gmk-penumbra-de set with nordic support? I know you want it! ;)
You can substitute penumbra for some other proven colorway you dare to 'steal' or get permission for. Monokai with inverted alphas might work. Or maybe matt3o can be persuaded to create yet another desireable colorway for a good cause. :)

User avatar
Nuum

17 Aug 2016, 12:54

F-row keys in F profile would be very nice for the future, maybe in a different color (yellow!) than beige so you can use them with other sets as well.

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 13:01

kbdfr wrote: I would advocate a 1800-HADapter kit, i.e. a set allowing populating those extra-cheap G80-1800s with a German HAD set (with B profile bottom row) by adding the following (1u when not specified otherwise):
B profile: 2xStrg, Alt, AltGr, 2xWin, Menu, spacebar (6u), NumPad0/Einfg, Shift (1.75u)
C profile: +
D profile: -
E profile: Entf, Ende, Bild↓

(Of course another option would be English legends, but there are not that many English vintage keysets around waiting to be completed)
Edit: I must be crazy, such a set would make my doubleshot G80-1800s practically worthless :lol:
Well ... This has only recently been offered for 22$:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80942.0

I can ask for a price for this kit with all doubleshots. Would love it ... but have to know the price ;)
Maybe this can be merged with the Whitefox keys. Have to take a closer look at that.
pomk wrote: Haha, I understand completely! Not your fight :lol:

How about the gmk-penumbra-de set with nordic support? I know you want it! ;)
You can substitute penumbra for some other proven colorway you dare to 'steal' or get permission for. Monokai with inverted alphas might work. Or maybe matt3o can be persuaded to create yet another desireable colorway for a good cause. :)
I will get any GMK set with NORDE support but I will ..."NEVER" ... run a GMK full set GB. I could not do this the way I want because the financial risk is too high and the time frame for a regular GB is too long for me. I was considering doing a GMK Carbon standalone NORDE kit together with Tomb3ry but this is supposed to be sold on Massdrop instead.

Maybe we can get a group of NORDE scientists together and try to come up with the perfect GMK Norde kit. A minimal kit that will allow DECENT conversion of a standard ANSI set (already including the ISO keys)

We'll be omitting some tertiary legends and merging some other keycaps to a point where we're all still happy with the outcome. And then we run this kit in all the popular color schemes!
Nuum wrote: F-row keys in F profile ...
I don't get it :(

User avatar
Khers

17 Aug 2016, 13:09

pomk wrote:
Wodan wrote: Khers tried that and even with some people buying several kits, there is just not enough interest.
Really? I was under the impression that he never got around to GB phase or even polled for however many sets people might buy and just folded the project. The thread was pretty quickly siderailed to basic 'this can never work' banther, which is overly typical of geekhack.

It might be easier to just run gmk-penumbra with nordic+de layout only at around 90$ per set and just call it a day. :lol:
It is correct that I never went out of IC or even very far into the IC phase. I got some positive feedback and one or two users wanting to buy 10-20 sets to support the idea. Most of the feedback I got however, was along the lines of: "this is not going to make it", "please add support for X layout, you'll multiply the interest by 1000" and the like. Summing up the responses I got when the threads lost activity, I ended up with enough interest for something in the neighborhood of 75 sets from less than 20 interested parties, so 50% of MOQ, i.e. not worth pouring more time into.

User avatar
Nuum

17 Aug 2016, 13:10

Wodan wrote:
Nuum wrote: F-row keys in F profile ...
I don't get it :(
Like on the Cherry G80-0505 ohaimark found a while ago: photos-f62/the-ohio-lot-story-time-photos-t14183.html
I't just a higher profile as the usual modern F-keys in E profile.

On this photo of ohaimark you can see the difference:
Image
Last edited by Nuum on 17 Aug 2016, 13:13, edited 2 times in total.

pomk

17 Aug 2016, 13:10

Wodan wrote: GMK Carbon
So sad that Tombory didn't have the norde kit initially for sale and now chose to go with a supplementary kit instead of a stand-alone set. Seems a bit of a wasted oppoturnity to not allow for more orders on carbon as well. Would have bought a number of sets. :cry:
Khers wrote:It is correct that I never went out of IC or even very far into the IC phase. I got some positive feedback and one or two users wanting to buy 10-20 sets to support the idea. Most of the feedback I got however, was along the lines of: "this is not going to make it", "please add support for X layout, you'll multiply the interest by 1000" and the like. Summing up the responses I got when the threads lost activity, I ended up with enough interest for something in the neighborhood of 75 sets from less than 20 interested parties, so 50% of MOQ, i.e. not worth pouring more time into.
Fair enough. The 'not going to make it' comments were mostly from some annoying ansi users though. ;)

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2016, 14:55

Wodan wrote:
kbdfr wrote: I would advocate a 1800-HADapter kit, i.e. a set allowing populating those extra-cheap G80-1800s with a German HAD set (with B profile bottom row) by adding the following […]
Well ... This has only recently been offered for 22$:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80942.0
That one has: English legends, no 1.75u Shift cap, and above all: no AltGr cap :mrgreen:

User avatar
nafsasp

17 Aug 2016, 17:22

I would like to see a 2.75u right shift to help adapt keys from an 1800 or 11900. My only other request would be an alternative color ' # or \ | key (the darker beige). A lot of people like matching that key to their other mods on 60% boards (:

Oh! And this isn't really for me (because even though I only ever type in English, I like the look of other language layouts better, it might be cool to do a QWERTZ/QWERTY/AZERTY adapter kit, with keys like A, Z, Q and Y in the profiles necessary to convert one language into another

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Aug 2016, 18:29

kbdfr wrote: That one has: English legends, no 1.75u Shift cap, and above all: no AltGr cap :mrgreen:
I know you love that AltGr ;)

English "international" legends will always be the compromise here to make this kit sell properly, wouldn't do it any other way for a 1800 kit.

Do you see a market for 1800 adapters?
nafsasp wrote: I would like to see a 2.75u right shift to help adapt keys from an 1800 or 11900. My only other request would be an alternative color ' # or \ | key (the darker beige). A lot of people like matching that key to their other mods on 60% boards (:

Oh! And this isn't really for me (because even though I only ever type in English, I like the look of other language layouts better, it might be cool to do a QWERTZ/QWERTY/AZERTY adapter kit, with keys like A, Z, Q and Y in the profiles necessary to convert one language into another
That right shift was also painfully missed by the Asian community in my first round. No idea why!

I am currently considering three things:

- HADapter Kit II (This time no ANSI adapter, just bottom row, caps lock, 2.75 right shift for 1800 sets and hopefully doubleshot vintage windows keys!)

- A second kit that - together with the new HADapter kit - will fill a nice keyboard like the WhiteFox TrueFox (1.75u right shift, pgup/pgdn keys, R1 keys for DE/US, 1.5 backspace)

- Offering single 6.25u space bars

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2016, 19:11

Wodan wrote:
kbdfr wrote: That one has: English legends, no 1.75u Shift cap, and above all: no AltGr cap :mrgreen:
I know you love that AltGr ;)

English "international" legends will always be the compromise here to make this kit sell properly, wouldn't do it any other way for a 1800 kit.

Do you see a market for 1800 adapters? […]
Considering that
  • it still is relatively easy to get G81 (=MY switch) HAD (=German doubleshot) keyboards on the one side
    and very easy and very cheap to get G80 (=MX switch) LXXXD (=German lasered) 1800s on the other side
  • the 1800 is a nice compact keyboard, but with all keys of a standard keyboards
I would think many would be interested (but only with German legends - who would want a PgDn instead of Bild↓ just underneath his Bild↑?)
Perhaps I should offer a G80-1800 HPMDE (doubleshot caps) to check how much interest there is :mrgreen:
That right shift was also painfully missed by the Asian community in my first round. No idea why!
Same here. Is a 2.75u Shift not ANSI standard anyway? And do they have that many doubleshot 1800 sets they would want to convert to standard layout?

User avatar
Prelim

17 Aug 2016, 19:46

If this run is going to be beige again, I only need 1u Windows caps (both profile A and B) this time :(

User avatar
Khers

17 Aug 2016, 20:09

A-profile bottom row mods?

Rimrul

17 Aug 2016, 20:37

Khers wrote: A-profile bottom row mods?
A-Profile standard bottom row, please.

User avatar
Prelim

17 Aug 2016, 20:41

that's pretty useless, since all OG Cherry HAD sets already have profile-A mods... no?

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2016, 20:44

Prelim wrote: that's pretty useless, since all OG Cherry HAD sets already have profile-A mods... no?
No, they exist both in A profile and in B profile.

User avatar
Prelim

17 Aug 2016, 20:48

Indeed, correction... 99% of the OG HAD sets :P

Rimrul

17 Aug 2016, 20:50

1.25|1.25|1.25|6.25|1.25|1.25|1.25|1.25 bottom row, not the OG HAD 1.5|1.5|something|1.5|1.5

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2016, 21:13

Prelim wrote: Indeed, correction... 99% of the OG HAD sets :P
I seem to have some quite rare stuff :lol:

VERGiL

17 Aug 2016, 21:15

Wodan wrote: doubleshot vintage windows keys
I was hoping for another HADditionals kit, which includes them and hopefully some other new novelty caps. :(

Post Reply

Return to “Group buys”