Round 7 / ALGOL-style / Deadline 2018-11-30

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Sep 2016, 11:43

How does the 25% discount work in combination with Round5/6 items? Got that covered 7bit? I'm about to add some mixed items (Round 5-7) and rely on getting my Round7 items 25% discounted ...

7bit

26 Sep 2016, 11:55

Be sure it works!
:ugeek:

kenshinjeff

27 Sep 2016, 11:18

Was there a 3d render of the ALGOL keyboard I missed? Could someone please link me to it?

eddible

27 Sep 2016, 12:04

kenshinjeff wrote:Was there a 3d render of the ALGOL keyboard I missed? Could someone please link me to it?
I don't think it exists.

RoostrC0gburn

28 Sep 2016, 07:08

need hyper7 layout, but not in blue and grey Round 6 plz

priyadi

28 Sep 2016, 07:37

7bit wrote: It seems I should cancel Round 7 altogether, because only a few orders came in and nobody paid.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:shock:
There are simply too many running keycap GBs this month. All has much shorter buy periods and delivery times than yours, so people are prioritizing those. And there are a lot of upcoming GBs too. Without a firm end time, people will keep pushing yours back in their queue.

My suggestions:
  • Aim for 3 months for delivery, 6 months max.
  • Stick with fewer, much fewer color variations. Save the others for the next rounds.
  • Stick with what you always had and rarely available on other GBs: keycaps for oddball custom layouts, blanks for everywhere on the keyboard, alt layouts, GHB for trackpoint, tasteful fluffs, VIM keys, etc

caligo

28 Sep 2016, 08:00

Not only are there many GBs running now, there's also an awful lot of stuff aesthetically similar to Round 7 popping up. You have Godspeed up on Massdrop now, and rumblings about Retroblight and Penumbra possibly dropping this autumn. All three of these feature SA keys and a retro style with beige/off-white alphas. I find Round 7 more interesting than those other sets, but I can see how one could be quite conflicted about which set to buy – especially since it's reasonable to expect Round 7 to take a really long time, while sets like Godspeed will probably show up quite quickly (relatively speaking).

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Sep 2016, 08:31

priyadi wrote: [*]Stick with fewer, much fewer color variations. Save the others for the next rounds.
yeah I guess that is really great advice. For one, the "swapped colors" Mod/Alpha versions (colored Alphas, creme Mods) is usually a variant that struggles in many GBs. Maybe leave them out all together.

Personally, I also believe the Green/Red colorways will have a hard time reaching MOQ. We do have the RGB set which is VERY nice.

Removing some of the colors (RED GREEN ;) ) will also greatly help reduce complexity of the various kits. I'll gladly start a wiki page helping participants navigate through the kits and getting their keyboards filled.

Most other GBs are just much more foolproof. Base + Mods + Whatever exotic layouts you like = done. Maybe add the NORDE/International kit and you're good.

Well anyway, would really love to help getting Round7 on track, it's a unique kind of GB and can definitely be a success :)

7bit

28 Sep 2016, 09:24

priyadi wrote: My suggestions:
  • Stick with fewer, much fewer color variations. Save the others for the next rounds.
  • Stick with what you always had and rarely available on other GBs: keycaps for oddball custom layouts, blanks for everywhere on the keyboard, alt layouts, GHB for trackpoint, tasteful fluffs, VIM keys, etc
The idea was to let SP produce 2-4 colors a time (like GREY, CREAM, BLUE, BLUECREAM) to avoid that problem and to speed at least parts of it up. So, think of Round 7 as 7c, 7r, 7g, 7b, 7v and 7 ....
:o

OK, I will add some more options ...
:? :roll:

caligo

28 Sep 2016, 09:35

Okay, placed my order. There goes my money. :D

This might just be me being blind, but I can't seem to find any single "§½" or "~`" keys? Would be nice to have those in the same color as the modifiers for symmetry (like with "|\"), especially for us folks rocking WhiteFox keyboards.

7bit

28 Sep 2016, 12:28

I bet typing "§½" to tell me you want it in the modifier color is the first time ever in your life, that you have used that key.
:evilgeek:

caligo

28 Sep 2016, 12:43

Well, when you write about something to do with law and stuff you use that pesky § character quite frequently. Not that it's an everyday thing, but it does happen from time to time. It always makes you look more serious when you quote paragraphs. 8-)

I could of course put some novelty key there for lulz and stuff, and have my color symetry that way. But seeing as there are a lot of "§½" keys produced anyway (as they are part of every alpha kit) it wouldn't be that much of a problem to offer them as single keys as well, right?

caligo

28 Sep 2016, 12:47

I mean, imagine a white key in the upmost right corner. It makes me twitch just thinking about it. ;)

priyadi

28 Sep 2016, 13:26

7bit wrote:
The idea was to let SP produce 2-4 colors a time (like GREY, CREAM, BLUE, BLUECREAM) to avoid that problem and to speed at least parts of it up. So, think of Round 7 as 7c, 7r, 7g, 7b, 7v and 7 ....
The problem with that approach is that we don't know which set is going to be produced first, or to be produced at all. So, we can buy now, and we could get the goods in 3 month if we are really lucky. But if not, we are going to be separated from our money for 1 year or more, and losing to time value of money. I think I'll just wait until there's a firm production date. I'm sure many would feel the same.

If we are really unlucky, a set might not reach MOQ and never get produced, and you have no choice but to refund our money. For you guys with $ and € in your savings, that might not be much of a problem. But for the rest of us, refunds are going to incur currency exchange cost, twice. The rate could also be pretty ugly if credit card is involved. Unless something big happens with the economy, it is a certainty that we'd never see the full amount of our money again.

hitlu

30 Sep 2016, 16:36

priyadi wrote:
7bit wrote:
The problem with that approach is that we don't know which set is going to be produced first, or to be produced at all. So, we can buy now, and we could get the goods in 3 month if we are really lucky. But if not, we are going to be separated from our money for 1 year or more, and losing to time value of money. I think I'll just wait until there's a firm production date. I'm sure many would feel the same.

If we are really unlucky, a set might not reach MOQ and never get produced, and you have no choice but to refund our money. For you guys with $ and € in your savings, that might not be much of a problem. But for the rest of us, refunds are going to incur currency exchange cost, twice. The rate could also be pretty ugly if credit card is involved. Unless something big happens with the economy, it is a certainty that we'd never see the full amount of our money again.

Agree with u. many chinese fans like me only gave up for the long term. We all like this set but afraid of time. If fixed time and less color and less optional kits. It is nice.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

jebbra

01 Oct 2016, 11:53

No blank keys offered for now? Wanna get 2x 1u gray and 1x 2u gray.

davorb

04 Oct 2016, 06:25

I was looking to place an order, but I guess that I'll hold off if Round 7 might get canceled. That the wait time and uncertainty is so long compared to other sets, is what's holding me off.

Oh and 7bit, you are losing *tons* of customers by sticking to that archaic and confusing ordering bot. If you switched to a normal website shop, I'm sure that the number of people placing orders would increase by at least a factor two. I could help you set something like that up, if you're interested.

caligo

04 Oct 2016, 12:39

Seeing as I just paid my order, this GB logically has to happen. With the addition of loads of glorious §½ keys in all the colors of the sky.

Also, it wouldn't be a proper GB without weird conversations with the bot.

Turbodruk

05 Oct 2016, 01:50

Heya!
Any chance of a 3U spacebar and 2U shift?

Hypocaffeinic

05 Oct 2016, 09:36

Really interested in this, they look fantastic, but feel the same as others who are put off by the uncertainty. I would rather any colourway that will definitely be produced, than drop money on my preferred colourway and wait uncertain amount of time to see whether it'll go ahead.

Maybe run a poll to determine the most popular colour choices, and then we all go with that, send you money, and you send us back delicious caps? These look amazing and it'd be a shame for the GB to become paralysed in this way. :D

mecano

07 Oct 2016, 00:40

Turbodrunk wrote: Heya!
7bit already partly responded to this on the previous page.

Turbodruk

07 Oct 2016, 09:11

mecano wrote:
Turbodrunk wrote: Heya!
7bit already partly responded to this on the previous page.
Silly me, I forgot that I already asked.. :oops:
That would be cream on green. :)

eddible

07 Oct 2016, 09:44

We should probably get a FAQ/'questions asked so far' going on the Wiki. Does Deskthority let you create pages yourself or does an admin need to do it? If we all chip in whenever we visit the thread, it'd be really easy to keep a list of questions/answers that's quick to search through. Try and avoid the horror of the Round 5/6 thread!

rominronin

07 Oct 2016, 12:24

WHERE'S THE ROUND 7 WIKI?

eddible

07 Oct 2016, 12:50

I've made this page:
wiki/7Bit_Group_Buys_FAQ

I'll do my best to keep adding to it but any help is always appreciated.

7bit

10 Oct 2016, 17:17

I corrected the spelling a little bit.
:?
wiki/7bit_Group_Buys_FAQ

I hope you don't mind, eDdible?

eddible

10 Oct 2016, 17:18

7bit wrote: I corrected the spelling a little bit.
:?
wiki/7bit_Group_Buys_FAQ

I hope you don't mind, eDdible?
Of course not!

7bit

10 Oct 2016, 17:34

No quite accurate, but should give the general idea:
:roll: ---------------------------------------------------> graphics created by zslane.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------> :ugeek:

eddible

10 Oct 2016, 17:37

Do you expect the alpha legends to be that grey? It looks really ace, but on the site they appear solid white. I think I'd prefer this light grey!

7bit

10 Oct 2016, 17:37

The colors are different, right.

Return to “Group buys”