[MechSupply] UKKeycaps Q-Series Skidata Keyset (Produced by Devlin)

GEIST

21 Mar 2017, 13:31

Sounds like a fun company to work with. The K-series really looks great, if you ignore what they have should looked like, but at least on the pictures floating around the skidata set looks like the last set I would buy from Devlin.
Last edited by GEIST on 21 Mar 2017, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

hansichen

21 Mar 2017, 13:41

GEIST wrote: Sounds like a fun company to work with. The K-series really looks great, if you ignore what they have should look like, but at least on the pictures floating around the skidata set looks like the last set I would buy from Devlin.
I second that, the radaway legends look pretty good. I hope there will be some more pictures on reddit when the sets arrive at the first customers so that we can see all the caps and legends. So there is still some hope for new planck sets in future.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Mar 2017, 16:33

So I ordered a set of mint-away keycaps, looking forward to the described keycap thickness.

UKKeycaps

21 Mar 2017, 16:42

Lots of Retroist keysets have already been sent out, I'm surprised there haven't been reviews/pics posted of those yet.

oknytt

22 Mar 2017, 16:02

I have my blank Retroist keyset now atleast. Pics!
I don't have my Planck yet though, so I've put them on my NovaTouch.

rozakiin

22 Mar 2017, 18:46

UKKeycaps wrote: Debating refunding all Skidata orders also and then offering at a much lower price.

Here's a list of things Devlin did not inform me until AFTER production was more than 50% complete:

- Some size keys would have to be QS profile
- The Hex colour code they gave me for the green colour was wildly incorrect (never told me this)
- The Hold and \| key would be engraved (never told me this)

I am still optimistic about Devlin keycaps, especially K-Series, and will be doing more deals with them in the future, but it seems I will have to describe what I want in a 20 page essay because if they are left to take any liberties they make the complete wrong decision and do not inform me of it.
Does this mean that you haven't sent out the remaining Skidata orders?
oknytt wrote: I have my blank Retroist keyset now atleast. Pics!
Keycaps look great much more like the quality I expected from Devlin judging by the sampler and QS series planck set

Shados

23 Mar 2017, 11:41

UKKeycaps wrote: Debating refunding all Skidata orders also and then offering at a much lower price.

Here's a list of things Devlin did not inform me until AFTER production was more than 50% complete:

- Some size keys would have to be QS profile
- The Hex colour code they gave me for the green colour was wildly incorrect (never told me this)
- The Hold and \| key would be engraved (never told me this)

I am still optimistic about Devlin keycaps, especially K-Series, and will be doing more deals with them in the future, but it seems I will have to describe what I want in a 20 page essay because if they are left to take any liberties they make the complete wrong decision and do not inform me of it.
I hate to say it, but I think refunds might be for the best (I'd prefer that, at least). Really sucks that Devlin aren't anywhere near as up-front as they should be, I definitely would not want to be the one dealing with them.

That said, I do rather like how the Rad-Away sets turned out, even if their colours are way off, so I'll probably pick up a couple.

Raft

24 Mar 2017, 10:33

I haven't received my set yet and based on what I've seen I'd appreciate the refund route. My original skidata set looks better.

Burt Macklin

24 Mar 2017, 13:51

Frankly, after everything I saw/read - I'd rather opt for refund as well, since I still haven't received my set.

UKKeycaps

25 Mar 2017, 00:29

Due to the quality issues Skidata will be refunded. Customers who have already had their orders shipped will be emailed and offered a full refund for returning their set or refunded the difference of the price of the set when it is made available on Mechsupply (at least £20 cheaper than GB price)

An email will be sent to all customers tomorrow and the refunds will start being sent out tomorrow.

The most damaging part of the faults of this GB are not the loss I will personally make, but I'm afraid people will not trust Devlin products. I know they're capable, just need more hand holding then I gave them.

duynguyenle

25 Mar 2017, 15:32

I hope this doesn't deter you from running future GBs. FWIW, I'm still interested in picking up one of these Skidata sets even with all its flaws. I'll wait till they show up on the site!

GEIST

13 Apr 2017, 00:18

Since the spacebar is from Signature Plastics, could you tell us the color code for it?
Oh and good luck with the Skidata set, hopefully it will at least sell as good as the Retroist set.

UKKeycaps

13 Apr 2017, 01:08

I got NN spacebars, but they're not an exact match with the Devlin keycaps as Devlin supplied a colour code which was pretty much pure black and turned out to be charcoal.

These keysets are now available on UKKeycaps.co.uk for £37.00!

XGEOX

13 Apr 2017, 14:42

oknytt wrote: I have my blank Retroist keyset now atleast. Pics!
UKKeycaps wrote: I'm afraid people will not trust Devlin products. I know they're capable, just need more hand holding then I gave them.
The retroist keycaps appear to be rather nice quality (if not the intended colour). Hopefully we'll see more Devlin GBs in the future and they will take greater care with the quality control.

Many thanks to Joe/UKKeycaps for arranging a refund for the Skidata set. I immediately purchased a TADA68 from them and it arrived very quickly. I'm extremely happy with the new board.

UKKeycaps

14 Apr 2017, 16:20

Future Devlin plans:

I will be paying for:
- New 5% legend which is centred properly
- SUPER, META legends
- |\ legend

In terms of new key size tooling (very expensive):
- At the very minimum: Q-Series 6.25u / ISO enter
- Possibly also 2.25u and 2.75u for ANSI enter and the 2 shifts instead of using QS profilke

Then there's also the option of having a full K-series keysets, the price of the tooling to achieve that would be huge though.

GEIST

14 Apr 2017, 16:36

Sounds great! Maybe you could also consider the Atreus and Preonic users in the next ortho set, with an additional set containing some 1,5 blanks and a num row. It seems 1,5 blanks would be possible in K and Q series.

slyker

29 Apr 2017, 18:33

Maybe you can set a "Fund Me" site so people can donate money to the cause.

middaparka

29 Apr 2017, 19:11

UKKeycaps wrote: Thanks :D
In terms of new key size tooling (very expensive):
- At the very minimum: Q-Series 6.25u / ISO enter
- Possibly also 2.25u and 2.75u for ANSI enter and the 2 shifts instead of using QS profilke

Then there's also the option of having a full K-series keysets, the price of the tooling to achieve that would be huge though.
Out of interest, in terms of the tooling costs, how are those handled/who ultimately owns the tooling? (Just wondering about the extent to which it's a cost that you can ameliorate over future keycaps.)

That said, if it's commercially sensitive, feel free to tell me to mind my own business. :D

LastBrat

29 Apr 2017, 19:32

Having ordered this set (using it now), I wanted to say I love the profile and the quality. I actually like the QS enter/shift, but I'm glad I don't have to use the ISO enter, and would appreciate the spacebar to have been the same color as the keys. Having experienced the Devlin Q, I no longer want to use SP thin plastic DSA's (or pay for the import taxes and fees)...

Please, do more Devlin Q keycaps! I'd love to see some lighter keys (mint with brown legends?), and will certainly buy a Preonic/Planck set too. Very much looking for any future releases, joined the forum just to say that actually :)

GEIST

29 Apr 2017, 20:03

Yea, I really like them too. But I'm also happy I don't have to use the ISO enter. Maybe you should add a picture of it to the page.
Could you tell us what SP colors would probably match? Or do someone else know? I really would like to buy a matching spacebar too.

UKKeycaps

30 Apr 2017, 10:45

You'd have to make your own best guess for matching colours I'm afraid! With new tooling for the ISO enter and 6.25u spacebar, colour-issues should be unique to this set.

pomk

30 Apr 2017, 13:45

From some brochure about their capabilities, it would seem that they have an iso enter in the qs profile. Why not use that? Especially if you still plan on continuing to use qs for some of the keys.

UKKeycaps

04 May 2017, 13:28

They have a type of ISO enter in Q or QS series, I have seen it, however it is not the standard size ISO enter. The tail is thinner and would not fit a modern standard ISO layout keyboard.

If it is a picture of a standard ISO enter then could you link me to the brochure?

Return to “Group buys”