SA Oblivion - Group Buy concluded, awaiting production

Oblotzky

20 Oct 2016, 03:27

MassDrop Page: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... guest_open

Dedicated github project page: https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/

I am a programmer by trade, and my go-to color theme is the Oblivion one available in Xamarin Studio (and possibly other IDE's as well). I want to mimic the idea of SA Penumbra to draw the color palette from a code coloring theme, in their case the solarized palette. So don't be surprised when you see similarities between this set and the famous Penumbra one, but far enough to not be a straight copy of it.

Thank you for your time!

Kits: check https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/
Last edited by Oblotzky on 22 Sep 2017, 09:17, edited 39 times in total.

Elrick

20 Oct 2016, 03:44

Love the Dolch Colour-sceme done in SA 8-) .

Also the coloured fonts adds to something being attractive without it looking like a kiddie key-cap collection.

ALWAYS keep it simple because over time this will still be used decades ahead, of all the brightly coloured sets.

gogusrl

20 Oct 2016, 11:42

I don't see you getting enough people for any of the child deals unless you pull a 7bit and take orders for a year and deliver in 3 but hey, good luck :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Oct 2016, 11:45

He's aiming for Massdrop I believe

Rimrul

20 Oct 2016, 21:17

I really like your design, especially the Git kit. The name of the API kit seems plain wrong to me, though. The main thing that currently keeps me away from this keyset is the missing support for ISO and stepped capslock. I hope the ISO part gets solved with the international kit/the uk kit.

Oblotzky

20 Oct 2016, 21:37

Elrick wrote: Love the Dolch Colour-sceme done in SA 8-) .

Also the coloured fonts adds to something being attractive without it looking like a kiddie key-cap collection.

ALWAYS keep it simple because over time this will still be used decades ahead, of all the brightly coloured sets.
Thanks, and I sure hope that will be true!
gogusrl wrote: I don't see you getting enough people for any of the child deals unless you pull a 7bit and take orders for a year and deliver in 3 but hey, good luck :)
That part is keeping me up at night currently, I hope it will work out
Wodan wrote: He's aiming for Massdrop I believe
They are certainly high on the list as they would be able to mitigate that issue immensely, but I'm open to other venues a well.
Rimrul wrote: I really like your design, especially the Git kit. The name of the API kit seems plain wrong to me, though. The main thing that currently keeps me away from this keyset is the missing support for ISO and stepped capslock. I hope the ISO part gets solved with the international kit/the uk kit.
Yeah, API and SDK will probably be reverted to the classic 40's and Tsangan&Whitefox labels anyways to avoid confusing buyers. Stepped Capslock is available in Tsangan&Whitefox, the shading isn't correct yet for that but you can see the legends placed correctly already. ISO will be covered with UK/International indeed, will probably be identical to the kit Chocolatier offered.

Oblotzky

21 Oct 2016, 03:58

International & UK done, added key sizes were important to the images, some other minor tweaks. Also reverted the names for the specialties kits, the old ones were fun but this is clearer for customers, which is more important as the kit names don't add anything to the actual design.

This set is now 99% done designing, search for venue is highest priority now for me. Also gonna investigate the GIT logo situation, will send an E-Mail to them tomorrow.

Updated the images of the first post.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Oct 2016, 09:20

Great service adding the ISO-Enter and 1.25u shift into the international kit but you're missing the ALT-GR key in there. It's included in the UK set, would have to buy 2-3 of them just to get my Alt-Gr keys right.

This is really a set I would love to binge on. Great design, well picked.

Oh yeah one IMPORTANT note, something I learned from 7bits GBs. If your legends are centered, there is no need to include a R2 "Z" key in the international kit. The R4 "Z" key can be rotated 180°and you have an R2 "Z" key. Only if your legends are centered though!

rsr

21 Oct 2016, 12:13

Hi!

This keyset is great! I like it a lot! and it is the most extense I have seen for a long time.

One thing I miss in all the SA keysets is a mono lengend kit like the one in matteo's graphite. I have the numbers programmed to be shifted (like an azerty keyboard) so I have to press shift+key to get the number, but usually I just use the numpad.

Another thing I am confused is with the numpad. There is just a '+' 1U key to replace de 2U.... another key will be needed to cover the missing hole... I recommend using the modern selectric as a guide of a complete numpad kit (https://shop.clueboard.co/modern-select ... d-set.html)

I hope you pursue with this keyset and bring to reality... Count on me to get one with all the kits :)

Oblotzky

23 Oct 2016, 00:46

Wodan wrote: Great service adding the ISO-Enter and 1.25u shift into the international kit but you're missing the ALT-GR key in there. It's included in the UK set, would have to buy 2-3 of them just to get my Alt-Gr keys right.

This is really a set I would love to binge on. Great design, well picked.

Oh yeah one IMPORTANT note, something I learned from 7bits GBs. If your legends are centered, there is no need to include a R2 "Z" key in the international kit. The R4 "Z" key can be rotated 180°and you have an R2 "Z" key. Only if your legends are centered though!
AltGR added to international, good point. Why do you need 2-3 of them though? Regarding flipped Z, I think the Z legend isn't actually 100% symetric. I saw someone post an image of his board with a SA set and someone pointed out that Z was upside down. So the "once you see it" applied here, perfectionists won't be happy ;)
rsr wrote: Hi!

This keyset is great! I like it a lot! and it is the most extense I have seen for a long time.

One thing I miss in all the SA keysets is a mono lengend kit like the one in matteo's graphite. I have the numbers programmed to be shifted (like an azerty keyboard) so I have to press shift+key to get the number, but usually I just use the numpad.

Another thing I am confused is with the numpad. There is just a '+' 1U key to replace de 2U.... another key will be needed to cover the missing hole... I recommend using the modern selectric as a guide of a complete numpad kit (https://shop.clueboard.co/modern-select ... d-set.html)

I hope you pursue with this keyset and bring to reality... Count on me to get one with all the kits :)
Thanks!

Doubt I'll be adding any more kits to this set, its already big as it is. Missing 1u Numpad key has been addressed.

Also added back unique names to the specialties kits, with the descriptions below it should stay clear what they are for.

scl

23 Oct 2016, 14:48

Holy sh*t. Can we have a hagoromo (white) intl kit? just add the keys to the standard intl kit?

edit: oh yeah, and a 1.75 shift in oblivion.

Oblotzky

23 Oct 2016, 15:10

scl wrote: Holy sh*t. Can we have a hagoromo (white) intl kit? just add the keys to the standard intl kit?

International Kits like these already cost 40$ or more, what you are asking is nearly doubling the amount of keys in that set. Dvorak/Colemak and International Hagoromo as their own kits is something on my checklist, but highly unlikely to happen due to MOQ requirements. It's hard to hit them on a single color as it is, so don't hold your breath.

1.75 shift is part of SDK aka Tsangan/Whitefox. Oblivion/Git/Monochrome are for regular keyboards.

scl

23 Oct 2016, 15:33

Oblotzky wrote:
scl wrote: Holy sh*t. Can we have a hagoromo (white) intl kit? just add the keys to the standard intl kit?

International Kits like these already cost 40$ or more, what you are asking is nearly doubling the amount of keys in that set. Dvorak/Colemak and International Hagoromo as their own kits is something on my checklist, but highly unlikely to happen due to MOQ requirements. It's hard to hit them on a single color as it is, so don't hold your breath.

1.75 shift is part of SDK aka Tsangan/Whitefox. Oblivion/Git/Monochrome are for regular keyboards.
i had the thought of a slightly reduced cost (redundancy) in mind, but ok. Is the color set in stone for the intl kit? the white one reminds me of the penumbra set :)

Oblotzky

23 Oct 2016, 21:55

scl wrote:
Oblotzky wrote:

i had the thought of a slightly reduced cost (redundancy) in mind, but ok. Is the color set in stone for the intl kit? the white one reminds me of the penumbra set :)
It would have been less than double, sure, but probably still a deal breaker to many wanting those kits. And yes, since Quarry is the primary alphas color of this theme, Hagoromo would come after.

On with other changes: While creating the new previews for 40% boards such as the MiniVan, I noticed that the distribution of colors was off in the 40bit set. I needed to change that after having it split from the Planck. Also, another 1u R4 key has been added to allow for the MiniVan arrow layout.

And now, plenty of previews fresh outta Photoshop. Enjoy!

Edit: MassDrop poll is now live https://www.massdrop.com/vote/SA-Oblivi ... Keycap-Set

parablol

26 Oct 2016, 21:04

Dvorak & Colemak!
Git Mods!

Ahw yeah.

If this makes it to market, I'll start using the Oblivion color scheme. Reference: https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Obli ... r%20Scheme

E3E

27 Oct 2016, 01:52

If this gets greenlit, I'll definitely get a set. While I'd like to splurge and get it all, I think I'll be getting Oblivion mods, Hagoromo, Tsangan, and MAYBE a Numpad kit.

I'd get Git, but I don't want to be a poser. :P I'm no programmer.

mecano

28 Oct 2016, 15:44

Would love to see the Git kit on 1U caps just like the Assembly one…

sachin3767

20 Nov 2016, 01:56

What is the latest on this? Can't wait for this to drop.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 01:59

I was excited... My hopes were up for this:

Gosh darn it.

Oblotzky

05 Dec 2016, 21:36

Added renders I did myself to the first post. Hope you like it!

Also a dedicated project page: https://oblotzky.github.io/Oblivion/

Mr. J

05 Dec 2016, 22:13

Will be the ISO DE / Norde Kit available in dark color too? :shock:

Oblotzky

05 Dec 2016, 22:23

Mr. J wrote: Will be the ISO DE / Norde Kit available in dark color too? :shock:
Dvorak&Colemak and International kits always barely make the MOQ threshold in other GBs. I made a mess by creating two alpha colors and three modifier themes (Oblivion, Git and Monochrome). Git and Monochrome aren't currently supported by International and UK either as I fear the price would increase too much with an extra 5 keys. Quarry was supposed to be the primary alphas color, but I switched to Hagoromo Dvorak&Colemak and International due to higher popularity. I will wait for a vendor confirmation first I think before I continue with those kits, but one idea I had would be removing the modifier keys from UK and International, offer International in both colors and have a ISO mod kit that UK and International users can pick up. 3x ISO enter, AltGr and Shift in both colored and monochrome and a short Push key for git, for a total of 8 keys. But that's pricey as F and total insanity.

anorak

06 Dec 2016, 09:35

Really nice work, I like the dark grey colors. Many thanks for adding the international kits! So much love for ISO :) Hope the international kit makes the MOQ... What are the further plans for a GB?

Oblotzky

06 Dec 2016, 09:45

anorak wrote: Really nice work, I like the dark grey colors. Many thanks for adding the international kits! So much love for ISO :) Hope the international kit makes the MOQ... What are the further plans for a GB?
I do not intend to run it myself, so I'm trying to get Massdrop to handle it. I know that name is not very liked around here, but I believe it's the best choice for this set due to so many kits.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 09:55

Don't listen to the Massdrop haters. XMIT had a long Massdrop yes/no thread and it turns out that most people's objections are purely ideological and that Massdrop does deliver good service and support - at a price. They're a business and make a profit - unless anyone volunteers to run this GB on his free time, that's the best deal we get. They're professionaly and _CAN_ bring a GB to another level (GMK CARBON)

Zeal

06 Dec 2016, 11:02

Really digging the colour scheme, will most likely pick up a set. :)

sems

07 Dec 2016, 15:59

As a programmer myself, i love the way this set looks. I would also enjoy macOS terminal kind of schema with green and black.

bearwool

08 Dec 2016, 05:06

jeez, the color and font make me goosebumps. really love it.

evoman

09 Dec 2016, 00:23

This is a really stunning set - probably my favourite that I have seen

GreyAmbience

13 Dec 2016, 08:17

This is one of the best sets I've ever seen. On par with Penumbra and Carbon.
I have no idea what the coding keys mean so I would like to have both the regular super, meta and so on as well. But the coder caps looks cool :) I just hope the colors of the renders will look just as good IRL.

Return to “Group buys”