SA Oblivion - Group Buy concluded, awaiting production

User avatar
Oblotzky

23 Mar 2017, 01:02

Wodan wrote: Well in that case I am of course a fan of something new! New molds will add more options to upcoming GMK GBs and the text-only mods fit the theme very well!

Having the sub-legends removed from the numpad is generally appreciated! even with icon legends ;)

Please consider an International kit for this GB!
I will gladly help with an "Essential" kit or you can just do a full international support kit.
Thanks for the offer! I saw your work on Nautilus and such a International kit is what I would consider for a GMK run since I have 2 alpha colors going, which by the feedback poll are head to head with an even split among people. But I'm afraid we won't be able to hit 150 on each with this GB, so I'll postpone that to R2, together with a spiced up Ergodox and possibly GIT. This run is more a dip in the water than all-in as SA will be. The SA run will give me a much better insight into what of the custom legends stuff is sought after most to determine future set kits.

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Mar 2017, 08:14

Hmmm ... you gotta get that GMK run a little more publicity. I have heard many excited reactions for this set!

Would be a shame if there isn't at least a short phase of hype-buildup before this is sold.

Any idea where this will sell? MD?

ectoplasmatic

23 Mar 2017, 10:02

oblotz mentioned in the geek hack thread that he is not running the GMK group buy on mass drop, so let's see!

User avatar
chuckdee

23 Mar 2017, 14:09

Wodan wrote: Hmmm ... you gotta get that GMK run a little more publicity. I have heard many excited reactions for this set!

Would be a shame if there isn't at least a short phase of hype-buildup before this is sold.

Any idea where this will sell? MD?
Hype build up can have the opposite effect too. Just run it as you will, and let those that will follow, follow.

User avatar
Oblotzky

18 Jun 2017, 15:35

Image

Haven't updated here in a while!

Moved the git page over to https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/ - all the kits that are heading to GB are now there.

Most noticeable change: Inclusion of Honeywell and SpaceCadet accents in the Monochrome Modifiers kit, some changes to the Extension kits and the two .asm kits for TKL and macro blocks.

The kits are pretty much finalized now, I've sent them to MD to be priced out so I'll know what we are getting soon. The GB is still scheduled for Q3 this year, we have a month in mind now that I might be able to share soon.

Thanks again for all the input you guys offered!

User avatar
gogusrl

18 Jun 2017, 16:27

Needs more row 3 \| :)

rsr

18 Jun 2017, 17:20

For people not in NorDeUk countries why not add an only ISO enter key set? An UK specific can be acceptable too.
Another option could be add spanish support ... but I understand that this will increase the final cost and many other people would not like it.

I just skipped the Carbon intl keyset because of that. It's much cheaper to buy an ISO enter in pimpmykeyboards.

User avatar
LukStarkiller

28 Jul 2017, 01:32

Great to see that the spanish has been included, finally an SA keyset I'm going to buy ^_^

Juk

28 Jul 2017, 02:07

Excellent set Oblotzky! Thank you for including Spanish on the ISO kit, this was the final temptation I needed to make me buy it.

User avatar
Oblotzky

28 Jul 2017, 11:42

LukStarkiller wrote: Great to see that the spanish has been included, finally an SA keyset I'm going to buy ^_^
Juk wrote: Excellent set Oblotzky! Thank you for including Spanish on the ISO kit, this was the final temptation I needed to make me buy it.
Hey guys, it appears you two are basing your compliments on outdated information from my old project page. I'm sorry to break it to you but ever since the decision has been made to use tertiary legends with a NorDe only kit the support for Spanish was dropped as it would have added another 8 or so keys to the kit. Also according to Zambumon, only like 2 people beside himself bought the Amazing Chocolatier from Spain, out of almost 50 or so. You can see the latest revision of the kits in the link I wrote just a few posts above.

I'm very sorry guys :/

To all: I have now a final revision of all kits, pricing has been finished mostly and I'll have the date for the GB shortly. Thanks y'all

User avatar
Oblotzky

13 Aug 2017, 13:03

We're almost there! The set will finally launch on Massdrop early September. The final version of the kits can be found at https://oblotzky.github.io/sa-oblivion/ - pricing is being worked out currently.

Hope to see you on the drop! Don't hesitate with any remaining questions, I'll gladly assist if there is trouble filling a layout.

Image

Image

Image

Image

More renders at the top of the project page ;)

User avatar
Oblotzky

16 Aug 2017, 07:52

German and Swedish ISO layouts! ;)

Image

Image

User avatar
mecano

16 Aug 2017, 17:12

Oblotzky wrote: Don't hesitate with any remaining questions, I'll gladly assist if there is trouble filling a layout.
Hello, here I go again: please make a 1U Git kit!

Also why isn't there any VAT keys in R3 in the assembly kit? Having a pair there will be more handy instead of 4 YBP or BFN.

User avatar
Oblotzky

16 Aug 2017, 17:28

mecano wrote:
Oblotzky wrote: Don't hesitate with any remaining questions, I'll gladly assist if there is trouble filling a layout.
Hello, here I go again: please make a 1U Git kit!

Also why isn't there any VAT keys in R3 in the assembly kit? Having a pair there will be more handy instead of 4 YBP or BFN.
I don't want to sell the icon by itself because then I would be directly profiting from the IP. Currently it's a bonus key of sorts for a 60$ kit, not the sole reason why someone would be buying it. Sure I could go ask them again if this would be fine as well, but I don't want to overstep and risk them feeling I want to make a buck with their property and have them pull the existing license. Might be a paranoid concern but I don't see a benefit either in offering the key by itself, what would you even be using it for where you don't want to have the actual git modifiers as well?

Regarding assembly colors, they were carefully distributed with intent, I do not feel VAT belongs in the bottom row on this kit.

User avatar
mecano

16 Aug 2017, 23:00

No, no, not the Git key, the Git kit! Make it available on 1U sized keys just like the assembly kit!

The lettering colors for the assembly kit can be seen and used as code for programs features shortcuts, as you said legends are placeholders for this kit, so the most flexibility you offer, the more interesting it will be.
It turns out that the color code you choose match the color code of several softwares functions, so one can use this set for other purposes than just ortho mods but… VAT is lacking in R3 giving less choice for layout adaptation and forcing (me in that particular case) to relocate and reprogram, while reprogramming is not an hassle, relocating keys because the kit is not flexible enough is a firm stop for me (which would be a shame because this set is very nice and nearly perfect), because it may result in a dead end (without talking of the waste of time).

User avatar
Oblotzky

16 Aug 2017, 23:09

mecano wrote: No, no, not the Git key, the Git kit! Make it available on 1U sized keys just like the assembly kit!

The lettering colors for the assembly kit can be seen and used as code for programs features shortcuts, as you said legends are placeholders for this kit, so the most flexibility you offer, the more interesting it will be.
It turns out that the color code you choose match the color code of several softwares functions, so one can use this set for other purposes than just ortho mods but… VAT is lacking in R3 giving less choice for layout adaptation and forcing (me in that particular case) to relocate and reprogram, while reprogramming is not an hassle, relocating keys because the kit is not flexible enough is a firm stop for me (which would be a shame because this set is very nice and nearly perfect), because it may result in a dead end (without talking of the waste of time).
3/4 of the Git legends don't fit 1u keys, so that's not working.

The legend colors were never intended to represent functionality, they were distributed solely based on aesthetics. You can get the optional macros.asm kit for your desired VAT R3 keys :)

User avatar
mecano

17 Aug 2017, 00:33

Well most will, or am I wrongly assuming SP can fit 5 characters on a cap width (got a R5 'escape' key here)?
But so be it, it will left us with branch, rebase, checkout and commit.
'branch' is easily replaced by the Git icon.
'rebase' can be put on two lines: re base.
So does 'checkout': check out.
The only problematic one is commit, but even there, there is a solution. Remember how the elders solved the too long 'transmit' label? They used 'xmit', in order to pay hommage to their magnificent wisdom why not use 'cmit'? I'm pretty sure this already exists in the SP catalog…

Fair enough for the macros.asm kit and nuts to your aesthetics :mrgreen:
Are you north of the Weißwurstäquator?
[edit]
Ahah! Favourite switch: brown! I knew it!
[/edit]

User avatar
zslane

17 Aug 2017, 02:20

mecano wrote: Well most will, or am I wrongly assuming SP can fit 5 characters on a cap width (got a R5 'escape' key here)?
Those longer legends require the use of Gorton Modified Condensed. Maybe Oblotzky doesn't like the Condensed fonts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
Oblotzky

17 Aug 2017, 08:39

zslane wrote:
mecano wrote: Well most will, or am I wrongly assuming SP can fit 5 characters on a cap width (got a R5 'escape' key here)?
Those longer legends require the use of Gorton Modified Condensed. Maybe Oblotzky doesn't like the Condensed fonts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of cramping legends with small fonts and abbreviations on keys, it would have to remain uniform. I'd only consider doing the ASM kits in Monochrome but I'll hold on to that idea for a possible R2 if viability has been proven.

User avatar
Oblotzky

29 Aug 2017, 00:07

We're finally going to launch on August 31st at 6am PT!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... eycap-set/

User avatar
mecano

29 Aug 2017, 10:59

Great ;)
What is Colevrak?

User avatar
hansichen

29 Aug 2017, 11:01

Colevrak are keycaps for people that use colemak or dvorak layout

User avatar
mecano

30 Aug 2017, 11:51

Oh thanks, I thought it was a typo ahaha

User avatar
Oblotzky

31 Aug 2017, 18:47

We are LIVE! https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... keycap-set

If you have questions, you know I'm always there for you ;)

User avatar
Oblotzky

08 Sep 2017, 10:32

Just a friendly reminder that we are live for another 2 weeks :)

User avatar
Oblotzky

17 Sep 2017, 21:53

4 more days or something like that!

User avatar
Oblotzky

21 Sep 2017, 09:49

Less than 24 hours remaining :) GB closes tomorrow (Sept 22nd) at 7am UTC / 9am CET

User avatar
Oblotzky

22 Sep 2017, 09:18

And done! Thanks so much to everyone that joined, see you next summer!

User avatar
potatowire

16 Jan 2018, 02:07

Hello all,

After too long a delay, I would like to open up sales of the Oblivion Vimcaps and the Colevrak expansion pack. Oblotzky set the colorway and options, and I will be fulfilling the orders. These keys will be produced by SP at the end of August 2018, so I will get them sent out to individuals shortly thereafter.

Details are on my site, but the Vimcaps set is $39.50 and the Colevrak set is $29.50. Shipping for most people will be $3 within the US and $13 outside the US.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Post Reply

Return to “Group buys”