IBM Model M Replacement Badges - SELLING LEFTOVERS

Wingpad

05 Dec 2016, 02:30

Just as a heads up, the GB is closing soon!

alienman82

05 Dec 2016, 06:17

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Wingpad

05 Dec 2016, 06:18

alienman82 wrote: are invoices happening soon?
No, I'll be invoicing starting tomorrow. Will update the post soon.

alienman82

05 Dec 2016, 06:19

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

05 Dec 2016, 07:19

Is the vendor located in China? If so, could them ship my order directly to me in China? So I can save some time and shipping fee.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

05 Dec 2016, 15:59

I am in the Lot_Lizard buy if you want to have him proxy my items btw.

Muramasa

05 Dec 2016, 17:14

Damn, I seen this day one and totally forgot to do that form :(

lot_lizard

05 Dec 2016, 18:53

Wingpad... if you don't mind... could you make sure everyone on this list has the opportunity to get in on this if they missed out? I'll send a note to them. Sorry if it causes any headaches. I know your had a clean form going, but these folks should be taken care of if they want to be. Closed to others (things need deadlines).

82d82a
13egg
alh84001
alienman82
andrewjoy
Arakula
arkanoid
BinaryHalibut
chzel
clickykeyboards
Colnor
cswanic
Darkshado
derzemel
DMA
dokyun
drevyek
E29
ekeppel
emdude
Engicoder
esoomenona
Daniel
Fohat
geniekid
giokkk
HAL
Hypersphere
i$
Ir0n
ishtob
jeb
jorgenslee
Keebo27
kevinhou
Khers
krstf
kurobuta
larryniven
livingspeedbump
m1k3
Matt3o
micrex22
mike52787
miloica
Mu
Muramasa
need
nfc
Nuum
ohaimark
pcaro
Phenix
POTV
pyrelink
ramnes
Ray
regack
Rimrul
rjmana
sethbc
snoopy
Spaceman1200
Techno Trousers
Tentator
Thermalbite
Tuntematon
vivalarevolución
vizir
vometia
vsev
wcass
webwit
wingpad
wobbled
Wodan
XMIT
xyzzy
yangdaddy

Wingpad

05 Dec 2016, 19:15

lot_lizard wrote: Wingpad... if you don't mind... could you make sure everyone on this list has the opportunity to get in on this if they missed out? I'll send a note to them. Sorry if it causes any headaches. I know your had a clean form going, but these folks should be taken care of if they want to be. Closed to others (things need deadlines).
Most of those folks already got their orders in but if they shoot me a message I'll make sure they are added accordingly. Please include your paypal email if you PM me such that I can invoice you.

For the people on this list that may still want to order, please place your order soon such that you don't get left out! Thanks :)

Wingpad

05 Dec 2016, 21:51

Sent out the first ten invoices, I'll be getting more out soon. Maybe I'll find a way to automatically generate them :p

Users invoiced:
Ir0n
Funis21
ba7777
yangdaddy
drevyek
need
Vizir
colnor
Arakula
livingspeedbump

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

05 Dec 2016, 22:29

Paid up. Thanks again so much for doing this!

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

06 Dec 2016, 00:17

paid and thanks.

Ir0n

06 Dec 2016, 00:23

Paid. :)

Vizir

06 Dec 2016, 01:27

Paid. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

drevyek

06 Dec 2016, 06:31

Paid- These are gonna look great.

yangdaddy

06 Dec 2016, 10:03

Thanks for the invoice Wingpad! I paid.

Elrick

07 Dec 2016, 00:10

Needed some more of these babies Wingpad, thanks for running this.

Full payment has been made :maverick: .

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

07 Dec 2016, 01:52

Paid. Thanks for running this GB, wingpad!

Wingpad

07 Dec 2016, 04:24

OK, all of the invoices should be set out now. If you placed an order and didn't receive an invoice let me know!

The current counts are:
Full-Size: 192
SSK-Size: 163

Still accepting orders from participants of lot_lizards MF group buy that want to buy into this one as well.

lot_lizard

07 Dec 2016, 04:57

Thanks again Wingpad. You MF yahoos... don't diddle. Wingpad extended an olive branch to you to keep this running a couple more days. If you are interested, don't piddle!!!

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Dec 2016, 05:49

I'm more Brobdingnagian than Yahoo, I think. ;)

micrex22

07 Dec 2016, 11:10

There was something bothering me about the print of the logo, and I've finally figured it out (and this isn't to deride wcass' work, the logo is notoriously difficult to work with). Hopefully nobody gets mad at me, as you won't be able to un-see it :p

There's actually two things wrong with the logo, and one of them IBM is guilty of. With early buckling spring boards that used the square badges, they didn't render the 'M' properly: either because the M was too wide or the triangular cuts weren't steep enough:
(the arrow pointing at the middle bar, there should be three 'slices' into that stripe, but there's only one coming in from the inverted triangle)

Contrast this to a higher quality print of the logo where it is rendered to spec, and we see that both the M has the appropriate three slices, and the stripes on the B are even on both sides:

If we look at the remake of the badges, they're suffering from two issues:
#1 a problem of the early 'M' with the middle bar not having the three 'slices' coming in
#2 the right side of the 'B' is too long, so if you look at the two holes inside the B, the bars on the right are longer than they are on the left--in which they should be equal:
Spoiler:
Original design specifications which the 3D print one follows, but not the square badges:

Some day when I have the time and equipment, I'd like to give creating some badges a shot. Particularly some square ones to fix the issues the originals have, and also because I prefer the black ones over the silver ones... :P

*runs and hides*

romevi

07 Dec 2016, 17:33

Oh, darn it. I just saw this. If anyone ordered an extra SSK, please let me know.
How were the measurements tested for the SSK version? I ordered a few badges based on measurements provided in the previous GB, but they were a tad bit too big.

drevyek

07 Dec 2016, 21:09

@micrex22: I think that the fidelity of IBM's printing makes it... alright. Looking at the blue-on-grey logo on my 1401, The middle bar on the M isn't fully cut through- only nicked in all three spots. I think the printing method would need to be improved/changed to get any better fidelity there.

Wingpad

07 Dec 2016, 21:15

drevyek wrote: @micrex22: I think that the fidelity of IBM's printing makes it... alright. Looking at the blue-on-grey logo on my 1401, The middle bar on the M isn't fully cut through- only nicked in all three spots. I think the printing method would need to be improved/changed to get any better fidelity there.
Yes, to fab all three slices would require much more precision than the current methods afford us. That being said, I can look into tweaking the bars of the B's. In theory, this should be a do-able fix.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

07 Dec 2016, 22:17

Even if it were possible to change the M in the logo, I'd still vote to keep it the same as it was used on IBM's early keyboards. This is intended to be an homage that particular keyboard logo, after all, not IBM's official corporate logo.

The B issue doesn't bother me, personally, but if it is fixable I think it would be a worthwhile correction.

Elrick

08 Dec 2016, 02:36

Techno Trousers wrote: Even if it were possible to change the M in the logo, I'd still vote to keep it the same as it was used on IBM's early keyboards. This is intended to be an homage that particular keyboard logo, after all, not IBM's official corporate logo.
Agreed this is not a typo for a Corporate Logo presentation on paper and card which is entirely different to silk screening a print onto a tiny label.

You actually won't notice it unless you are an OCD Graphics Designer with delusions of grandeur.

micrex22

08 Dec 2016, 07:11

Elrick wrote: Agreed this is not a typo for a Corporate Logo presentation on paper and card which is entirely different to silk screening a print onto a tiny label.

You actually won't notice it unless you are an OCD Graphics Designer with delusions of grandeur.
You're right, those are the same people who would be fine with the Deskstar logo:
Versus the real deal:

I'd argue it's more of a matter of aesthetics and art, than OCD (which is really being over-used for situations it doesn't apply). Perhaps 'dissonance' is what you're looking for.

Wingpad

09 Dec 2016, 15:11

Sent out PayPal reminders for the few people that haven't paid for the orders yet, we still have roughly $80 out in orders between them all. That being said, if they don't pay within the next day or so, we currently have more than enough orders to move forward with the GB and their orders will be cancelled.

Haven't gotten a chance to attend to the IBM logo business but I am planning on having a look at it tonight. It's finals season for me so I've been running around quite a bit more than usual but I'll have all of 'em wrapped up this morning.

wcass

09 Dec 2016, 21:47

micrex22, thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can make it look more like the ideal image this weekend.

Return to “Group buys”