Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

Ace
§

22 Nov 2016, 23:13

WTF is happening?! Bck when I was active on this site, we went with classic Model Fs, no other option. But now there are multiple epic solutions! This, and Ellipse's new Model F's are absolutely amazing!

lot_lizard

22 Nov 2016, 23:26

Ace wrote: WTF is happening?! Bck when I was active on this site, we went with classic Model Fs, no other option. But now there are multiple epic solutions! This, and Ellipse's new Model F's are absolutely amazing!
73373576.jpg
73373576.jpg (155.79 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Playing... our two projects are different animals, but we each have tremendous respect for each others work. The F is such a wonderful switch, and it is great to see it can be appreciated in so many different ways now. We (everyone) just had to get a little creative through the work of many to get here

lot_lizard

23 Nov 2016, 11:03

Nuum wrote:
lot_lizard wrote: Assuming the lead pans out (it should), I will have 14 "Code" keys so far that enable the split spacebar. If you are interested... PM. The cost will be mine (5 a piece after shipping)
BTW, the three barrels for the split spacebar can fit two of those Code keycaps and an additional 1.5u one, right? How are they stabilized?
I threw this together to hopefully see what makes this little Code key so special. I'm just happy we finally have a reason to use it. Again, both it and shift are 2.75u. I updated the previous post, and will make sure this ends up in the Q&A because split-spacebar for an buckling spring is such a unique thing.

Right shift is on top in the following pic, Code key on the bottom (forgive the potato pic... it's from a while ago)Image

lot_lizard

23 Nov 2016, 21:25

Just got the 10 Indy full-size cases we ordered from Unicomp (that was freaky fast). I'm starting to like this company and the people that work there. If they could just have dye-sub legends and a consistent printing process that didn't suck.. I would be sold (starting to sip the Kool-Aid again).

E TwentyNine

23 Nov 2016, 21:33

lot_lizard wrote: Just got the 10 Indy full-size cases we ordered from Unicomp (that was freaky fast). I'm starting to like this company and the people that work there. If they could just have dye-sub legends and a consistent printing process that didn't suck.. I would be sold (starting to sip the Kool-Aid again).
I have to believe there are a few people inside Unicomp that keep the flame and are simply unable to financially justify some of the projects, or there is more risk than the company is comfortable with. I bet the SSK2 died on the vine because of something like that.

miloica

23 Nov 2016, 22:15

lot_lizard wrote:Just got the 10 Indy full-size cases we ordered from Unicomp (that was freaky fast). I'm starting to like this company and the people that work there. If they could just have dye-sub legends and a consistent printing process that didn't suck.. I would be sold (starting to sip the Kool-Aid again).
Mine is on the way to my forwarder in California, should arrive there on Monday. I am going to see it in a month or two. Would it be too dificult for you to post some pictures?I would like to know how individual cases are packed(cardbox or just bubble wrap or something else).

E TwentyNine

23 Nov 2016, 22:29

miloica wrote:
lot_lizard wrote:Just got the 10 Indy full-size cases we ordered from Unicomp (that was freaky fast). I'm starting to like this company and the people that work there. If they could just have dye-sub legends and a consistent printing process that didn't suck.. I would be sold (starting to sip the Kool-Aid again).
Mine is on the way to my forwarder in California, should arrive there on Monday. I am going to see it in a month or two. Would it be too dificult for you to post some pictures?I would like to know how individual cases are packed(cardbox or just bubble wrap or something else).
Just cardboard. Some pics here: workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796-1020.html

The flimsier one is the Unicomp box. The heartier one is the one lizard set up.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Nov 2016, 22:31

miloica wrote: Would it be too dificult for you to post some pictures?I would like to know how individual cases are packed(cardbox or just bubble wrap or something else).
Here is what mine looked like. It shipped in a specially fitted box. Lot_lizard used his contacts to create an improved version of this box for shipping the MF kits, so we can use them for a nice long-term storage solution for the MF keyboards.
Spoiler:
box1.jpg
box1.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
box2.jpg
box2.jpg (129.94 KiB) Viewed 6220 times

sethbc

24 Nov 2016, 04:03

Khers wrote:
lot_lizard wrote: [...] [M]y next project will be small metal cases for the 5251 beamspring. [...]
You've got my attention! :mrgreen:
same!

lot_lizard

25 Nov 2016, 22:27

Just wanted to give a heads up (and not much of one), that our buy-in period will stop on Sunday 12/4. I wanted to kill it on the 30th, but 5 days notice is a bit nuts and I would rather we wrap up on a Sunday. I'll update the banner, thread title, and OP to reflect tomorrow sometime. I haven't invoiced anyone yet because I'm not sure we'll hit the MOQ for the replacement 50-55g stainless springs. Should know soon on that front. I have lots of cute metrics (some surprising) that I'll update with tomorrow as well.

Such an awesome turnout in a short time for something of this scope. We have enough that no one will be embarrassed showing up to our producer friends, and would rather finish sooner than try to get as many participants as we can. Thanks everyone!!!

lot_lizard

26 Nov 2016, 18:46

Updated the 3rd OP with some metrics so far (some are a bit surprising).

So Cindy reached out, and she might have MORE switches available to us. She will know next week. So there would be no worries about being short on switches then (a good thing). If it does pan out, I will actually have quite a few extras. We have announced the GB close of 12/4 already, and will stick to it.

If I do have extra switches though, I am going to order enough extra kits to account for them though, assemble them, and sit on these complete kits (NOT FOR SALE... at the moment). It will be incentive to produce SSK case shells, which we want to do anyway. Later on, I'll order blank keycaps from Unicomp, dye them, use our laser etching process to add our "Selectric" font, and use our new cases to assemble a complete keyboard. These COMPLETE boards (not sure the numbers, but think low double digits) will be sold for a PREMIUM (likely on eBay). I want to raise some funds for us to experiment more in the future and not be deterred from things like mold costs.

Everything you would need to create the same complete keyboard (the case and caps) will still be cheap as independent future group buys (don't read the above the wrong way). The takeaway would be that these drop-in assemblies and bulk switch hauls will no longer be produced (at least by me). I just don't want to have a bunch of spare switches that I end up sitting on, and we will make a premium on those spares later to help raise some funds for future experimentation. So if you were hung up about sourcing an SSK case, realize that we will have more incentive to make one to get rid of these complete boards. Also, our Selectric font will be public, and hopefully can be utilized by other projects (for dye-subbing, double shots, etc)

Just want everyone to have short-term vision of whats ahead and hopefully transparent about motives.

POTV

26 Nov 2016, 19:36

Could not happier with the way things are planned!

Nuum

26 Nov 2016, 19:44

lot_lizard wrote:
Spoiler:
Nuum wrote:
lot_lizard wrote: Assuming the lead pans out (it should), I will have 14 "Code" keys so far that enable the split spacebar. If you are interested... PM. The cost will be mine (5 a piece after shipping)
BTW, the three barrels for the split spacebar can fit two of those Code keycaps and an additional 1.5u one, right? How are they stabilized?
I threw this together to hopefully see what makes this little Code key so special. I'm just happy we finally have a reason to use it. Again, both it and shift are 2.75u. I updated the previous post, and will make sure this ends up in the Q&A because split-spacebar for an buckling spring is such a unique thing.

Right shift is on top in the following pic, Code key on the bottom (forgive the potato pic... it's from a while ago)Image
Just got to catch up on this, in that case I only need one Code keycap instead of two. It's a bit of a shame, that we can't have two rounded spacebars.
Still need to put my order in, will PM you this weekend.

lot_lizard

26 Nov 2016, 19:47

Nuum wrote: It's a bit of a shame, that we can't have two rounded spacebars.
It still looks nice in person, but I agree. I would have liked a solution that somehow had a rounded 1.5u too :(. It really is more a tiny single spacebar (thankfully centered) with two standard keys on either side.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

26 Nov 2016, 23:37

lot_lizard wrote:Later on, I'll order blank keycaps from Unicomp, dye them, use our laser etching process to add our "Selectric" font, and use our new cases to assemble a complete keyboard. These COMPLETE boards (not sure the numbers, but think low double digits) will be sold for a PREMIUM (likely on eBay). I want to raise some funds for us to experiment more in the future and not be deterred from things like mold costs.
I think that's a fantastic idea, and hopefully you'll get a really nice profit on those for future development. Talk about limited edition! It'll put any Korean custom to shame.

lot_lizard

27 Nov 2016, 17:56

I'm starting the process for invoicing today, but it will take me a bit to confirm everything and get these out. Payment will be due by 12/4. I do have a few heads-up(s) though:
  • if you were interested in replacement springs, they will be .10 each vs. .09 like we originally projected
  • the optional Unicomp horizontal and vertical stabilizers weren't being added to the subtotal (so if you had those, expect the invoice to be higher by 1.50 x the number inserts)
  • Two additional optional items I will ask if anyone wants:
    • Beamspring xWhatsit controllers. Wodan started an IC/GB, and we will order those at the same time as our MF controllers to save on shipping. These I would just include in your package if you had interest. They will be $22 for the controller, and $20 for the solenoid driver
    • Novelty MF caps like the one pictured below (except it wasn't a blank). We are going to offer them in black, blue, green, orange, and purple at $2 a piece. They will be two piece caps from Unicomp that we dye and laser etch our logo into (whatever color with white logo).

miloica

27 Nov 2016, 18:30

lot_lizard wrote:I'm starting the process for invoicing today, but it will take me a bit to confirm everything and get these out. Payment will be due by 12/4. I do have a few heads-up(s) though:
  • if you were interested in replacement springs, they will be .10 each vs. .09 like we originally projected
  • the optional Unicomp horizontal and vertical stabilizers weren't being added to the subtotal (so if you had those, expect the invoice to be higher by 1.50 x the number inserts)
  • Two additional optional items I will ask if anyone wants:
    • Beamspring xWhatsit controllers. Wodan started an IC/GB, and we will order those at the same time as our MF controllers to save on shipping. These I would just include in your package if you had interest. They will be $22 for the controller, and $20 for the solenoid driver
    • Novelty MF caps like the one pictured below (except it wasn't a blank). We are going to offer them in black, blue, green, orange, and purple at $2 a piece. They will be two piece caps from Unicomp that we dye and laser etch our logo into (whatever color with white logo).
Do you have an approximation when the parts and assemblies might be ready to ship?

lot_lizard

27 Nov 2016, 18:47

miloica wrote: Do you have an approximation when the parts and assemblies might be ready to ship?
Not completely a hard date or week, but I am slating the production process to take approximately one month, but has the potential to be less. All of these things can run in parallel since they are being produced by several different suppliers, and all of them are local to me with the exception of the "electronics". The "electronics" (PCB, controllers, etc) typically turn around within a couple of weeks.

Once production is complete, I will send out orders from the states that didn't request assembly first. Once all of the "assembled on behalf of" are complete for overseas, I will send all overseas orders. After that will be the "assembled on behalf of" for the states. At least that is the current plan. Unfortunately it will take overseas a bit longer to get these because of the sea freight followed by the Euro proxy. We are still going to test a complete Full Size with the latest revisions before production though. That should take place as the group buy is ending, or closely thereafter. All parts not effected by the latest improvements will be ordered right away.

I would expect a 2 month to-your-door window (could be more, could be less)... but that appears to be a very obtainable goal.

EDIT: if anyone international wants to bypass this sea-freight/proxy option, let me know when we PM. I haven't even considered because I just assumed everyone would want to save 30+ dollars and wait an extra week or two. I could be wrong though.

POTV

27 Nov 2016, 18:59

Christmas is a bit late this year, no problem!

Khers

27 Nov 2016, 21:01

Mmm, definitely in for Beamspring and solenoid controllers. Should give me the incentive to finish my refurb.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

27 Nov 2016, 21:06

POTV wrote:Christmas is a bit late this year, no problem!
Just think of it as a very early 2017 Christmas present!

lot_lizard

27 Nov 2016, 22:00

Techno Trousers wrote:
POTV wrote:Christmas is a bit late this year, no problem!
Just think of it as a very early 2017 Christmas present!
If we would have started 6 weeks earlier (the original plan), it would have been lovely. Blame my employer... BUT.... you'll have to get in line for that complaint :)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

27 Nov 2016, 22:17

How could anyone complain about a little timing slip? A year ago I would have said there's no way a modern layout capacitive buckling spring keyboard will ever be made, and now here you are on the verge of production! This project is an absolute gift to the world, seriously.

Ratfink

28 Nov 2016, 01:45

Techno Trousers wrote: …A year ago I would have said there's no way a modern layout capacitive buckling spring keyboard will ever be made…
Really? A year ago, Ellipse was hard at work developing one. And Xtant, despite being rather limited in production, had already been done. :mrgreen:

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Nov 2016, 02:30

Ratfink wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote:
a modern layout capacitive buckling spring keyboard
A year ago, Ellipse was hard at work developing one.

And Xtant, despite being rather limited in production, had already been done.
As impressive as these projects were, neither achieved "modern layout" status.

Ellipse re-created a 30-year-old specialty layout, love it (or not), that was spectacular, but hardly "standard"

And wcass cobbled a wonderful modification into an IBM XT case that was "ANSI-esque" at best.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

28 Nov 2016, 05:40

Yep. I lobbied Ellipse hard at the beginning of his interest check to manufacture what we now call the MF SSK. But he absolutely wanted to go the 4704 route. I can't fault anyone for their form factor of choice (Kishsaver) or necessity (XTant), but the good old Model M layout is the one I've always wanted and thought I'd never be able to have.

Arakula

28 Nov 2016, 07:25

lot_lizard wrote: EDIT: if anyone international wants to bypass this sea-freight/proxy option, let me know when we PM. I haven't even considered because I just assumed everyone would want to save 30+ dollars and wait an extra week or two.
Depending on where your proxy lives, it might mean another ~20€ anyway to get it from there. These aren't exactly lightweight miniature boxes. Or did I get that wrong and the 40$ does cover delivery to my door anyway?

So, depending on which country the proxy lives in and what the "+" in 30+ dollars exactly means, it might well be an interesting option.

DMA

28 Nov 2016, 09:09

lot_lizard wrote: Blame my employer... BUT.... you'll have to get in line for that complaint :)
Sell tickets! Would make a nice revenue stream :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Nov 2016, 10:05

Before I blow this one ... can ANY Model-F flippers be used in this? I just only learned there are different versions of Model-F flippers, varying in details only.

chzel

28 Nov 2016, 10:16

Yes, the F flippers are intechangeable, no issues. The differences are minor.

Return to “Group buys”