Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

vometia
irritant

09 May 2017, 08:38

Good to see you back, and that things are on track both personally and with the project!

And especially good to know your work situation is better, speaking as someone who found out the hard way that a sensible work/life balance is, y'know... sensible.

giokkk

09 May 2017, 10:43

Welcome back Brad, nice to hear that you are ok!! :) :)

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

09 May 2017, 18:27

Glad to hear you are doing better/fine!

Can't say I was ever worried about this! Also, this is something so special I'd be willing to wait as long as needed :D

Should you need any kind of help with any mundane tasks coming up that you don't have time for just PM me!

Hypersphere

09 May 2017, 21:56

@lot_lizard: Good to hear from you again. I don't mind waiting as long as I know that things are moving forward. Take the time you need to get your life and work sorted out as well as you can.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

09 May 2017, 22:49

I totally get the struggle with "life and "passions". Toss in a few medical and employment issues and suddenly you have an unpalatable salad for sure. I wouldn't worry about trying to catch up, just move forward at a sustainable pace. I'm not in this GB but am excited to see it advance as are many others. Welcome back.

jorgenslee

12 May 2017, 10:17

Glad to hear from you again, lot_lizard. Good to know all work out fine on your end.

Just curious, has the PCB been manufactured? If not is it possible to order an extra set of PCB/controller? Just for backup purposes or convert the innards of my SSK to FSSK in the future.

DMA

12 May 2017, 19:00

jorgenslee wrote: Glad to hear from you again, lot_lizard. Good to know all work out fine on your end.

Just curious, has the PCB been manufactured? If not is it possible to order an extra set of PCB/controller? Just for backup purposes or convert the innards of my SSK to FSSK in the future.
SSK->FSSK will need different arrangement of mounting holes, I'm afraid. Sense pads take lots of space, routing traces away from the hole not eating into the pads is hard.

Look at all those holes :)
resources/image/28909

Phenix
-p

12 May 2017, 19:21

maybe look into idollars FSSK - thread.
lizard is doing an awesome new design (MF), i$' created the base with making pcbs for SSKs to FSSK-builds..

Ir0n

12 May 2017, 22:05

I could use one of those FSSK pcbs. ._. I forgot about that project.. Lol

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 May 2017, 23:01

None of this would have been possible without i$'s inspiration and perspiration on FSSK!

jorgenslee

13 May 2017, 05:44

DMA wrote:
jorgenslee wrote: Glad to hear from you again, lot_lizard. Good to know all work out fine on your end.

SSK->FSSK will need different arrangement of mounting holes, I'm afraid. Sense pads take lots of space, routing traces away from the hole not eating into the pads is hard.

Look at all those holes :)
resources/image/28909
Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'll have to source i$'s FSSK PCB somewhere else. Hopefully someone could do a small run on that pcb :evilgeek:

Ray

19 May 2017, 13:05

Could you please give us an update with pictures of what's already completed an waiting at your place, and a rough estimation of when the remaining steps could be done?

need

20 May 2017, 05:51

Ray wrote: Could you please give us an update with pictures of what's already completed an waiting at your place, and a rough estimation of when the remaining steps could be done?
Yes, the lack of pictures of the group buy is definitely worrisome. Also PayPal's buyer's protection will end in 9 days, could you perhaps re-invoice us?
Btw, Lot lizard hasn't been online since his previous reply. :|

MrDuul

20 May 2017, 15:39

Very Interested.

drevyek

21 May 2017, 09:33

A bit troubling. Especially after reassuring us that he'd be available.

Khers

21 May 2017, 09:37

Elecplus has texted lot_lizard on his cell (thanks a lot, Cindy), let's hope something good comes out of it.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

22 May 2017, 00:49

drevyek wrote: A bit troubling. Especially after reassuring us that he'd be available.
Indeed. Reinvoicing would be nice, but regardless I'm here for the long haul and will just wait it out. Timidly going to just hang on to faith haha.

Ir0n

22 May 2017, 00:51

Does the re-invoice renew the buyer protection?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 May 2017, 01:17

I don't feel like I need buyer protection, but I think it would be a nice gesture to offer those who are nervous. Assuming it does extend that protection, anyway.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

22 May 2017, 01:59

Techno Trousers wrote: I don't feel like I need buyer protection, but I think it would be a nice gesture to offer those who are nervous. Assuming it does extend that protection, anyway.
Reinvoicing would mean giving refunds and invoicing again, though I'm not quite sure how that would work as the money is being put to use. You may be able to send new invoices or extend the existing ones somehow, but I'm honestly not versed enough in PayPal to really know. :? Someone with better knowledge of a good way to do this could give some input maybe!

I think just very small updates/checking in on a more normal basis would really be more than enough for most people here just to know the project is still moving forward at some rate.

Ir0n

22 May 2017, 02:01

I'd like to see some photos of the plates and stuff myself.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 May 2017, 02:27

Oh, I see. If it involves a refund cycle, that's probably not practical. I'm sure lot_lizard has already paid out a large amount for the production of components. I agree some more checking in here would be very welcomed​. I mostly just hope he's doing all right, though.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 May 2017, 02:59

Techno Trousers wrote:
I mostly just hope he's doing all right, though.
Me too. He was on top of it all for so long, and I know that he has personal and professional commitments pulling at him all the time.

alienman82

22 May 2017, 06:35

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

DMA

22 May 2017, 07:41

alienman82 congratulations! You no longer have to worry, at least :)

I was actually expressing a concern in PMs that I'll lose interest and disappear before controller is ready, when this all started.
Sad to see it going south - even if this does mean I don't have to spend dozens of hours soldering 150 0.5mm-pitch TQFPs.

I'll just reiterate that prototype PCBs I accidentally got in the mail and custom packing tape on the box make probability of premediated shady business quite low. Too expensive, too little sense.
I understand that I may look like a forged account - but I can show those things to anyone in Seattle who is verified real(sm).

PS: but that means there are free slots now. So, If anyone is foolish enough.. :D
PPS: For the record, I still am committed to solder those 150 PCBs, if project is revived.

..not going to refund. I just hope it's not like with credit cards - 1% chargeback rate on merchant account will result in account suspension. And if that happens everyone is thoroughly fucked.
I need those plates. bolt-modded M really sucks compared to proper steel plates.

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 May 2017, 07:54

DMA wrote: I'll just reiterate that prototype PCBs I accidentally got in the mail and custom packing tape on the box make probability of premediated shady business quite low. Too expensive, too little sense.
I understand that I may look like a forged account - but I can show those things to anyone in Seattle who is verified real(sm).

PS: but that means there are free slots now. So, If anyone is foolish enough.. :D
PPS: For the record, I still am committed to solder those 150 PCBs, if project is revived.
Those are the MF PCBs? Photos and a video (when you get those plates)! But that is a comforting update of sorts, I suppose! Guess lot_lizard couldn't have sent those out that long ago then. :)

I was pretty concerned when I saw your CS update here a while ago. That's a lot of soldering! Very grateful you are willing to do it for that many controllers.

DMA

22 May 2017, 08:20

emdude wrote: Those are the MF PCBs?
Yes. They look like FSSK and FEXT - but traces are routed differently, so not compatible :)
emdude wrote: Photos and a video (when you get those plates)!
I'll get plates when everyone else gets them, I think. PCBs were sent my way with the 5251 beamspring. So like couple of months ago? (Update: still want that video? Can do, it's just I don't see much point in video showing some obscure PCBs and a box :) )
emdude wrote: I was pretty concerned when I saw your CS update here a while ago. That's a lot of soldering! Very grateful you are willing to do it for that many controllers.
That revision was specifically to make soldering easier when I looked up how much PCB assembly costs (3-8 cents per pin - and leadless/fine pitch packages gravitate to the more expensive end).
TQFPs can be soldered using me trusty metcal - drag-soldering or pin-by-pin. QFPs can't - it's hot air (SLOW) or reflow oven (requires building an oven, buying a stencil, figuring out solder paste and temperature profile...).
If the project survives, I'm still going to solder whatever number of controllers will be needed - even if I'll get accepted to Amazon (they going to tell me Tuesday - a bit too late to wish me luck, but you still can :) ) and all those horror stories about Amazon turn out to be true and I won't have any free time. I do want model F with decent layout that much, yes.

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 May 2017, 08:26

Ah, I see. Well, I appreciate the clarification! :)

Hope you nab that job!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 May 2017, 08:40

Good luck on the job, DMA. I really appreciate all the work you've put in on this. I'm willing to pitch in too--PMed that to lot_lizard when he asked for parts counters, etc. But haven't heard anything yet.

POTV

22 May 2017, 10:51

I have just made my claim to Paypal in order to get a refund. Beware of the 180 day limited period from the money transfer, if others want to do the same.

Return to “Group buys”