Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 14:06

Additional images of the metal prototype
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage
The time has come… The MF Group Buy... Drop-in Kit for Converting the IBM Model M into an F

Group Buy ends on 2016-12-04 (Sunday)

For those of you that have been following our Workshop thread, (Model MF) Remodeling the Model M, this is our official Group Buy for a full DROP-IN REPLACEMENT for the Model M that retools all the inner workings into our updated version of a Model F. If you do decide to read the Workplace thread (good luck), this is considered Phase 1 anywhere you see that reference.

What does this mean?
You get to leave your existing M assemblies intact (no modification or bolt-modding), and literally open the outer shell, pull the existing assembly with attached controller out, and drop-in the new “kit” unit. Then seal the shell back up, plug-in your preferred USB cable, install your favorite buckling spring keycaps, and go.

What are we selling?
This group buy consists of MANY different parts that can be purchased individually, or as a complete “kit”. The “kit” is quick way to make sure you get all the core parts needed for this F assembly to work (MINUS BARRELS and FLIPPERS). Many of us have Model F’s laying around that we could salvage switches from, and we didn’t want to impose that switches be purchased as a requirement. I do have many spare barrels and flippers, enough for approximately 80 kits to have switches (aka... barrels and flippers) to be added as an additional option, but they are the limited commodity in all of this.

Note unlike any other "do it yourself" keyboard kit, there is absolutely no soldering. Even the connection from the PCB to controller is a slip-on style connector. From the controller, there is a USB daughter board that will allow you to pick from multiple USB connector options (and quickly change in the future should the need arise).

The following is the order form. Please fill it out as best you can, and PM to lot_lizard when complete. I will review it, and send an invoice. This is a little different than a typical GB where your order/request won't be considered real until paid in full before the GB closes (as opposed to collecting money at the end). The "kit" option is at the top, but all parts can be ordered individually in the lower half of the spreadsheet as needed. Subtotals including the projected invoice price and shipping are at the base of the spreadsheet.
Model MF Phase 1 Order Form v2.xlsx
(137.88 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
Core "Kit" Parts: Everything you need (minus switches) to turn your existing Model M (offered in both the SSK and Full-Size form factors) into an F
  • Steel assembly top plate powder coated that accepts either XT or AT style F barrels. Powder coat colors will be black, industrial SSK blue, green, red. The top plate can also be dipped in yellow chromate (similar to original Model F back plates). There is ONE one version of the plate which allows for both ANSI and ISO configuration, and that includes additional cut-outs for OPTIONAL keys, where unused key cutouts can be capped to prevent debris:
    • winkeys - between Ctrl and Alt on either side of the spacebar
    • Split backspace
    • Split spacebar (not pictured in the prototype below) - using a right shift, "Code" key from a Wheelwriter, and a Ctrl/Alt key, the spacebar can be split into 3 keys (two 2.25u and one 1.5u). The split spacebar is not a layout option on the order form because it requires users have an existing "Code" key. If that is desirable, make a note to me in the comments field
      Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    ImageImage
  • Steel assembly backplate offered in yellow chromate and powder coat (same color options as the top plate, but can be mixed and matched)
    Spoiler:
  • Assembly Side Spacer available in white and black that acts as a debris shield and helps regulate the spacing between the assembly plates on the sides
    Spoiler:
  • PCB derived from i$'s FSSK/FEXT project with only minor changes to allow for optional keys and solderless "slip-on" controller. The PCB will be offered with color options in green or white for the SSK, and green or black for the Full-Size. Note the Full-Size will come with a replacement LED daughter board
    Spoiler:
    ImageSSK
    ImageFull-Size
  • mini xWhatsit Controller modified by WCass using a solderless connection. The controller leverages a daughter USB board for case exit that will be offered in USB-B, USB-C, USB-micro, and USB-mini female port connection options
    Spoiler:
    ImagePrototype above does not depict the new solderless connector
    ImageShown next to the legacy F xWhatsit to provide scale
  • USB daughter board that abstracts the USB connector type from the controller itself. Available in the following USB output options:
    • USB-B
    • USB-C
    • USB-micro
    • USB-mini
  • USB port retainer clip that holds the daughter board in place and covers the empty space left by the SDL connector
    Spoiler:
  • "Foam" layer that has been redesigned to both stabilize the keys, eliminate unwanted audible feedback, and better seal the assembly from debris.
  • Stabilizer clips with an updated design to cradle wire stabilizers on both horizontal and vertical keys throughout the board, allowing the use of legacy IBM keys that would have wire stabilizers
  • Fasteners for bonding the plates and sealing the assembly, with o-rings provided for areas that would be tension sensitive like the middle of the board
Optional Additional Parts
  • Switches (includes the spring, flipper, and barrel). It is the one limited commodity of the GB.
  • Tribute Stickers that we put together as part of this project
    Spoiler:
    ImageImageImage
  • Unicomp Parts like stabilizers that can be ordered on your behalf to save some shipping
This GB should run for approximately a month (or longer if the salvaged switches aren't spoken for). We might open the doors up to GeekHack towards the end once the switches are gone to see if there is interest, but this GB is "by us for us". It has been a community effort to develop all of this, and I want to thank WCass, i$, Techno Trousers, and the many DT members that have contributed thoughts and ideas throughout this exercise. Thanks for the journey... it's been a fun one

This is NOT my day job, so please give me a little time to respond to any PM's. If you missed the order form, it's before the listing of parts in the core kit above.
Last edited by lot_lizard on 10 Apr 2017, 22:12, edited 16 times in total.

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 14:15

Part Layout Option Status
Top PlateSSK Currently testing the final prototype. All key locations and dimensions are in proper alignment. The 3rd ground screw from the left for the PCB standoff will be replaced with a standard tension screw to avoid contacting the controller. One other tension screw was off in alignment. Both of these changes have been accounted for in the designs already
Chromate
Black
Blue Used as the top plate color for the final prototype. The texture and color are as desired
Red
Full-Size Prototype needs to be assembled and tested
Chromate
Black
Blue
Red Used as the top plate color for the final full-size prototype. The color and texture are as desired
Back PlateSSK Currently testing final prototype. Zero changes are desired between the final prototype and the desired result
Chromate This plate is currently raw metal (unfinished). It will be used as the trial Chromate zinc coating before processing all production plates
Black
Blue
Red
Full-Size
Chromate
Black The black used for the final prototype is too coarse of a finish. We will be using a texture more similar to our blue and red powder coat in the end
Blue
Red
Side SpacerSSK Production complete and in possession
Black
White
Full-Size
Black
White
FoamSSK Currently being produced
Full-Size
Plate FastenersSSK Procured and in possession. Includes phillips, 6-lobe, and brass standoffs
Full-Size
Sheet Metal Plugs Procured and in possession
PCBSSK Final prototype currently being tested. 3 pass-through holes have been shifted to allow for better tensioning. Final PCB will receive a logo and desired text
Green
White
Full-Size
Black
Green
ControllerModel MF xWhatsit Currently testing the mini-xWhatsit designed specifically for us. All controllers will be ordered at the same time
Beamspring xWhatsit
xWhatsit Solenoid Driver
USB Daughter BoardUSB-B Tested, procured, and in possession
USB-C
USB-micro
USB-mini
USB Retainer ClipUSB-B Production complete and in possession. All clips are currently still white, and need to be dyed
Standard
Industrial
USB-C
Standard
Industrial
USB-micro
Standard
Industrial
USB-mini
Standard
Industrial
SwitchesBarrels All switches and paddles have been cleaned and dry lubed
Flippers
Replacement Springs Replacement springs came in under spec (my math error) at 40-45g. I have reordered 50-55g replacements
StickersOn the Shoulders of Giants All stickers (other than note below) procured and in possession
Deskthority Club Members
XTant2
Model MF Surprise sticker that was created for the project. Everyone will receive, and the design will not be announced. Ordered and awaiting shipment
Back Plate Label
Cardboard Container Currently being produced
Packaging Materials Currently being produced, or waiting to be procured until all materials arrive
Last edited by lot_lizard on 06 Mar 2017, 21:42, edited 3 times in total.

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 14:16

Total Kits: 126

Total Invoices: 87
Invoices Paid: 100%
mfCharts.png
mfCharts.png (103.53 KiB) Viewed 24269 times
The following users I have confirmed orders from (alphabetic order):

82d82a
13egg
alh84001
alienman82
andrewjoy
Arakula
arkanoid
BinaryHalibut
chzel
clickykeyboards
Colnor
cswanic
Darkshado
derzemel
DMA
dokyun
drevyek
E29
ekeppel
emdude
Engicoder
esoomenona
Daniel
Fohat
geniekid
giokkk
HAL
Hypersphere
i$
Ir0n
ishtob
jeb
jorgenslee
Keebo27
kevinhou
Khers
krstf
kurobuta
larryniven
livingspeedbump
m1k3
Matt3o
micrex22
mike52787
miloica
Mu
Muramasa
need
nfc
Nuum
ohaimark
pcaro
Phenix
POTV
pyrelink
ramnes
Ray
regack
Rimrul
rjmana
sethbc
snoopy
Spaceman1200
Techno Trousers
Tentator
Thermalbite
Tuntematon
vivalarevolución
vizir
vometia
vsev
wcass
webwit
wingpad
wobbled
Wodan
XMIT
xyzzy
yangdaddy
Last edited by lot_lizard on 14 Dec 2016, 20:27, edited 32 times in total.

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 14:17

Placeholder just cuz... Last one

mana

15 Nov 2016, 14:18

Oh my goodness, now I can't decide between this and Ellipses project.

Alkhar

15 Nov 2016, 14:28

Hello lot_lizard can we buy the tribute stickers as standalone ?

jorgenslee

15 Nov 2016, 14:29

Checking the options. :)

Nuum

15 Nov 2016, 14:34

mana wrote: Oh my goodness, now I can't decide between this and Ellipses project.
Dito, especially since I don't have an SSK anymore, only normal Model Ms which are too big for my taste. With an SSK at hand I'd go for the Model MF.

@phosphorglow: Any progress on your SSK cases?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Nov 2016, 14:38

Woohoo! I'm so glad to see this has begun. These will be pretty much the end game keyboard for me. Thanks again so much for doing this, lot_lizard! I've watched the incredible amount of work you have put into the project these past many months.

As lot_lizard had said in the past, this is not intended to compete with Ellipse's project, which we all greatly respect. The F62/F77 are carefully recreated keyboards of the past, while the Models MF is something completely new.

mana

15 Nov 2016, 14:41

The only competition that matters is the competition for the cash in my wallet

jorgenslee

15 Nov 2016, 14:50

Does someone has an idea or suggest the best option for top plate/bottom plate/side spacer combination? I'm quite new to this and I'm not sure what to choose. :(

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Nov 2016, 14:56

Do you have a photo of the plate with the split space bar option?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Nov 2016, 14:58

fohat wrote:Do you have a photo of the plate with the split space bar option?
Oh, yeah. I don't think we ever saw the final top plate prototype.

kekstee

15 Nov 2016, 15:14

Now I kinda wish I had bought that Lexmark SSK when I had the option to.

On the other hand it's still expensive. And the F77 rebuild is somewhere out there as well. :s

Nice to see this happening though.

ohaimark
Kingpin

15 Nov 2016, 15:16

My Lexmark SSK will look *hot* with a red top plate. Mmmm, color coordination with the logo.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Nov 2016, 15:25

Sorry just finished fapping to this. Need I say any more?

drevyek

15 Nov 2016, 15:30

I'm ready. Not sure what colors I want though. It's finally here!

Is the color on the main photo there the Chromate, or is that just bare steel?

Also, I want to get the retainer clips in multiple colors (see which is best for my future case), but I don't want a whole extra USB board- should i just notate that in the comments?
Last edited by drevyek on 15 Nov 2016, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

15 Nov 2016, 15:37

Slowly working my way through the order document. Must not make mistakes! :D

ohaimark
Kingpin

15 Nov 2016, 15:41

It's a good thing I'm selling a bunch of keyboards on eBay... And even after doing so I'll be pretty poor. :lol:

cswanic

15 Nov 2016, 15:45

Thank you so much for doing this!

BinaryHalibut

15 Nov 2016, 15:52

Is the replacement spring thing happening as part of this kit, or is that going to be later?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Nov 2016, 15:56

Turned my order in, hope I picked all the right options. Was having some problems with the options since I wanted to order one SSK and one Fullsize worth of parts and some of the parts (notably foam and fasteners) can only be ordered for one form factor.

The prices are ridiculously low. Feel free to re-invoice me if production cost surprisingly increases. Has happened before ;)

minh2134

15 Nov 2016, 16:25

Is the switches the replacement for the model M for is it something different I wonder? Because it is the only thing that is optional in the Kit section rather than pre-included to the price.

snoopy

15 Nov 2016, 16:40

Finally it's here. :mrgreen:

Ordered!

alh84001
v.001

15 Nov 2016, 17:24

Stupid work got in the way so I only managed to order now :)

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 17:40

Thanks for all the comments and support guys. I am tied up with work today and tomorrow, but will start processing these probably tomorrow over lunch. Again, I'll PM everyone individually to make sure we are on the same page before there is an invoice.
jorgenslee wrote: Does someone has an idea or suggest the best option for top plate/bottom plate/side spacer combination? I'm quite new to this and I'm not sure what to choose. :(
No bad choice there... all preferences. A green top plate with red bottom plate and white spacers (the "Christmas" edition) might look a little silly to me, but... it would be unique I suspect :)
drevyek wrote: Also, I want to get the retainer clips in multiple colors (see which is best for my future case), but I don't want a whole extra USB board- should i just notate that in the comments?
That sounds good. We will work something out when we PM each other on the price (assume around half)
Alkhar wrote: Hello lot_lizard can we buy the tribute stickers as standalone ?
For sure... it would still operate out of this versus some other group buy though. Just fill out the form and let me know what you would like and the quantity. Ignore the shipping. I will reach out to you individually anyway will all of this, and we will work the shipping out
drevyek wrote: Is the color on the main photo there the Chromate, or is that just bare steel?
It's actually stainless steel that I had made up (bare metal). We will have a Limited Edition version of 10 total boards in stainless (polished better than I did in the original). I will send out invitations to some folks that we were instrumental to the project and the community to see if that would like one. The Chromate would be more satin and gold colored.
fohat wrote: Do you have a photo of the plate with the split space bar option?
I don't of the plate itself. Just the rendering... I am having that finalized plate cut and the powdercoating thickness tested to make sure we stay in tolerance for the barrels to fit properly. I'll take some pics and post to the "Progress" OP when we get there (another week or so). But note... ALL PLATES will be cut so that split spacebar could be utilized in the future. Any unused holes will have sheet metal plugs to prevent debris. For those of you building it yourself, we will just throw a few in the box.
BinaryHalibut wrote: Is the replacement spring thing happening as part of this kit, or is that going to be later?
It's in the spreadsheet, but nestled down in the individual parts section at $.09 a piece. You would just enter the quantity you wanted

alh84001
v.001

15 Nov 2016, 17:50

lot_lizard wrote: It's in the spreadsheet, but nestled down in the individual parts section at $.09 a piece
I haven't noticed it, and looking at the file I don't see it now either. I could have worked with an older version, though.

BinaryHalibut

15 Nov 2016, 17:53

Yeah lot_lizard you might've uploaded the wrong spreadsheet them. Either that or I'm super blind, since I can't find an entry for the springs.

lot_lizard

15 Nov 2016, 19:17

Thanks guys for letting me know. Junky Excel cache strikes again. I replaced the order form spreadsheet (the springs are under the switches in the individual parts section). If you already have the old one filled out in some way, don't worry about migrating over. If you do want springs using the original spreadsheet, just make a note in the comments. I will try to confirm with everyone later if they already PMed the original form to me already.

alienman82

15 Nov 2016, 19:40

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group buys”