[IC] Sandblasting and Powdercoating Keyboard/Typewriter Parts

lot_lizard

29 Jan 2017, 03:56

As part of the work I am doing with my metal fabricator friends for all our MF project needs, we are having discussions about future work. My original plan was to cut them loose since we won't need such complex tooling in future designs, but they really have been a pleasure to work with.

I told them some aspirations going forward (about half have been mentioned in our threads), and they are pleased to be involved every step of the way. They are learning quite a bit here as week since we are actually quite complex for standard fabrication.

Moral is this... As part of our talks, the restoration of existing plates came up. Unfortunately this would require you to send your plates to me (which makes overseas more difficult unless you pooled shipments together with a proxy), but I wanted to get an idea of numbers and quantifies that might have interest. We have dialed in a matte textured black powdercoat that almost looks like anodized aluminum (it's gorgeous). As part of the restoration, I would sandblast the existing plate, and then they powdercoat in the black. I might actually do this with all my Fs and beamsprings at once, and wanted to see if others wanted to take advantage.

For timing, we have another project in the works (not announced yet), and would likely piggy back onto it to really drive cost down. Think 3 months out from now or so.

Post here if this is interesting, and I'll build a distribution list I PM later with some logistics. Overseas is certainly not ruled out, and remember you are just sending the top plates. We will likely work up a freight proxy again if the numbers warrant it

EDIT: Changing this concept to any keyboard/typewriter parts you might want to do....
Last edited by lot_lizard on 29 Jan 2017, 13:25, edited 3 times in total.

Vizir

29 Jan 2017, 06:37

I might be interested depending on cost. Again, since these parts should not be seeing much abuse and aren't usually visible, what would the value of this project be?

I'm assuming you are talking about the inner to plates and not the cases...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lot_lizard

29 Jan 2017, 13:15

Vizir wrote: Again, since these parts should not be seeing much abuse and aren't usually visible, what would the value of this project be?
Only one reason really...
Spoiler:
To prevent oxidation. I can't come close to exact numbers for any of the following stats, but of the possibly triple digits of Fs and Beamsprings I have taken apart, a vast majority have a top plate that has at least some minor pitting. This would be to prevent that from ever happening.

The original Fs (all of them) would have just a black oxide hot dip, and not a very good one. Oils are meant to be present in the black oxide coating for them to continue to work properly. This would be the equivalent of the "blueing" of firearms, just a different oxide. Over time, most of these have lost their oil as dust and other debris has soaked it up like a sponge (along with introducing other oxidating agents).

Beamsprings used a better process (same as the bottom plate of the F) where zinc is bonded through the use of Chromate. Hot dipping has improved substantially over time, and the early forms of zinc coating would be much more susceptible to rust that today's variety, and still required an oil layer. This is the major reason the bottom plate of a beamspring is typically always in great shape while the top can be a nightmare.

Modern coating powder finishes (powdercoat, ceramic, etc) require much less ongoing treatment.

need

29 Jan 2017, 16:17

I got 3 plates that can benefit from this, shipping might be a problem though...

pr0ximity

29 Jan 2017, 16:23

I may be interested in a beamspring top+bottom if the price is right.

Makes me a little uneasy shipping irreplacable parts twice, but the job would be much better than what I could do myself.

Vizir

29 Jan 2017, 16:36

Hmm. I will probably get my 2 displaywriters done. And perhaps an At if I get the time to cut the holes for ANSI layout.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jan 2017, 16:57

I have three Beamsprings and various F's in need of care but obviously I will get anything done over here due to shipping. Post your results when you get them.

lot_lizard

29 Jan 2017, 17:17

seebart wrote: I have three Beamsprings and various F's in need of care but obviously I will get anything done over here due to shipping
Don't rule it out just yet. I agree it is not ideal, but I think I might end up in the 100+ quantity range with things counting the maybe 80 I would like to do as well (announcing something in the coming weeks and you'll understand why the volume... just need to prove the concept first). I'm certainly not quaranteeing prices just yet, but the 10-15 dollar each range is certainly realistic. If you were doing 3, I think you would actually save in the end even with shipping if we do a proxy. Plus you have the upside of bring part of a process versus just a one-off job, so the chance of the desired finish is higher.

I'm not convinced it makes sense for those of you abroad yet either. Projecting a coin toss at the moment. Like pr0ximity pointed out, it's the flight risks that would be more of my concern if in your shoes. The sea freight proxy helps with that some, but risks always exist.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jan 2017, 17:20

lot_lizard wrote:
seebart wrote: I have three Beamsprings and various F's in need of care but obviously I will get anything done over here due to shipping
Don't rule it out just yet. I agree it is not ideal, but I think I might end up in the 100+ quantity range with things counting the maybe 80 I would like to do as well (announcing something in the coming weeks and you'll understand why the volume... just need to prove the concept first). I'm certainly not quaranteeing prices just yet, but the 10-15 dollar each range is certainly realistic. If you were doing 3, I think you would actually save in the end even with shipping if we do a proxy. Plus you have the upside of bring part of a process versus just a one-off job, so the chance of the desired finish is higher.

I'm not convinced it makes sense for those of you abroad yet either. Projecting a coin toss at the moment. Like pr0ximity pointed out, it's the flight risks that would be more of my concern if in your shoes. The sea freight proxy helps with that some, but risks always exist.
Absolutely, see how much interest is there and then calculate. Shipping itself should not be an issue for plates anyhow.

Return to “Group buys”