Gateron Switches Group Buy

VicareyG

04 Feb 2017, 20:51

Hello Deskthority,

I've been meaning to join in on here for quite some time, lurked here for ages. I've started up a group buy of Gateron switches over on GeekHack and reddit, the interest check form returned great interest, over twice the MOQ in under 12 hours, because of this the GB will be starting this evening at 10PM GMT today! Full information can be found on my website:
https://www.opticboards.com/shop/gateron-switch where the GB will be taking place. Price is per switch at £0.24 GBP all seven variants of switch are involved and both RGB and normal housings. The MOQ is 1600, from the interest check this is extremely likely to be reached.

Questions are welcome and can be asked on here or the Geekhack thread, or via PM on here GeekHack or reddit all the same username, or by email george@opticboards.com.

The Group Buy is mainly aimed towards the UK and EU but CONUS members are more than welcome to join in just be aware that shipping will reflect this. For those not on GMT time this will start up in just over 2 hours from the time of this post.

VicareyG

04 Feb 2017, 22:52

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Feb 2017, 23:24

One of my frustrations with Chinese and Taiwanese switch brands is their haphazard and disinterested approach to product specifications. Quite often their website is impossible to find, outdated, bewildering, or plain wrong. The Gateron site currently lists five black shell switches — as far as I can recall, it's never cited the series name "KS-3" (I don't know where anyone got "KS-1" and "KS-3" from), and the common type we all know (uniform translucent shell, PCB mount) isn't mentioned.

The types I have are all depicted here (those with my trademark rubbish photos): [wiki]Gateron KS-3 series[/wiki] — the five "proper" colours plus the yellow type that seems to have been discontinued and then revived, all in translucent PCB mount shells, plus plate mount black. I don't know if the black one is KS-3 or not.

I don't know what your "white bottom" type is or whether I've seen that type before — I lose track of all these clones. I even have "OUTELO" switches in three different colours and multiple brandings that seem to be clones of Outemu: clones of clones, or maybe it's clones of clones of clones …

Whoever it is who's dealing directly with Gateron ought to try to get some proper details out of them. (I did write a very brief message to Gateron last year, but got no response.)

Part of me would tempted to buy some of each (some multiple of 14 types) but would my sanity survive another round of clones with no known series, no part numbers, no datasheets, nothing … That and I don't fancy trying to photograph moar switches :(

VicareyG

05 Feb 2017, 00:03

I understand your frustrations. I think it stems from the switches being marketed at other keeb manufacturers trying to imitate Cherry, rather than aimed at us individuals wanting to build our own keebs. I'm sure a big company would be able to get a response from Gateron whereas they'd be likely to ignore the likes of you and me over and over again.

xauser

05 Feb 2017, 00:19

When do you expect the switches to ship?

VicareyG

05 Feb 2017, 00:23

I've been quoted at 1-3 weeks after I place the order, so not to get anyone hopes up but I'll say 3rd March for now as when I expect to receive the switches and at most a week after that for the swicthes to be sent to the participants. Obviously this could change due to backlogs between now and the order date.

Nuum

05 Feb 2017, 11:05

Something seems to be wrong with the spring weight, it says that Yellow and Black both have a 50g spring, but shouldn't Yellow Gaterons be in between Black and Red Gaterons?

Edit: Ok, found the the difference, sorry! Black Gaterons apparently have a steeper increase in force than Yellow Gaterons and the given weight is probably at actuation.

VicareyG

05 Feb 2017, 11:48

Nuum wrote: Something seems to be wrong with the spring weight, it says that Yellow and Black both have a 50g spring, but shouldn't Yellow Gaterons be in between Black and Red Gaterons?

Edit: Ok, found the the difference, sorry! Black Gaterons apparently have a steeper increase in force than Yellow Gaterons and the given weight is probably at actuation.
That's useful info.

THE MOQ HAS BEEN PASSED!
As of 10:45am GMT we are at 1962 switches ordered. This Group Buy will happen!

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Feb 2017, 14:26

So who exactly is dealing directly with Gateron here? Someone must be!

If I understand correctly, your types are misnamed. The clear top/black bottom ones you show are RGB. Notice the the LED leg slot is extra wide? You can fit both a two-leg monochrome LED, plus a four-leg RGB through-hole LED. This is a common way to achieve RGB used by many brands including Greetech and Kaihua but not Cherry.

The clear top/white bottom is mentioned on "suck a toad we hate you" Massdrop, but that much that I can read from Google Images indicates that the base has a larger recess to provide clearance for an above-PCB SMD LED. It has the same RGB top, but there's no support for the legs of the LED. Cherry however use a custom top with a lens to spread out the light from the LED, as do the "OUTELO" types I found.

VicareyG

05 Feb 2017, 17:18

That's right. The only community present person I know of who's actually in touch with Gateron is Zeal with his Zealio switches.

I guess i may have used the wrong terminology. The clear top/black bottom I have listed have 4 holes for RGB LEDs, and the clear top/white bottom have room and a larger whole for SMD LEDs underneath the switch. Or so I'm lead to believe by the seller I'm in contact with.

Menuhin

05 Feb 2017, 18:53

Do you have some pictures for the clear top/ white bottom switches?
Can light shine through the white bottom housing like how it is in Zealios switches or in the older milk color (i.e. the uniform translucent shell, PCB mount) Gateron switches?
Last edited by Menuhin on 05 Feb 2017, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

VicareyG

05 Feb 2017, 19:11

Menuhin wrote: Do you have some pictures for the clear top/ white bottom switches?
Can light shine through the white bottom housing like how it is in Zealios switches or in the older milk color Gateron switches?
Image This is an image of the switches. They are not fully transparent like Zealios, there has been some mention on GeekHack that Zeal may have exclusivity of fully transparent housings.

VicareyG

06 Feb 2017, 20:33

It's been 24 hours since the last order. Anyone else interested?

Nuum

06 Feb 2017, 20:35

I'd like to order some switches, but I need some time to choose which to get. How long does the GB run?

VicareyG

06 Feb 2017, 20:55

Nuum wrote: I'd like to order some switches, but I need some time to choose which to get. How long does the GB run?
It will run until Friday 12noon GMT. It's worth noting that I'm going to be buying a couple of thousand switches myself and I will have them listed on my store after the buy ends, although they will be a few pence more expensive than the group buy price. So if you can't decide before Friday its no big deal I will have at least some of each switch in stock after the GB ends. :)

VicareyG

09 Feb 2017, 01:39

Just over a day left of this GB get your orders in before it closes.

VicareyG

10 Feb 2017, 16:38

Thank you to all participants! This Group buy has now closed!

VicareyG

21 Mar 2017, 21:18

For those who participated in this group buy who haven't yet paid for shipping, could you please do so or get in touch with me. There are only 6 of you left to pay, you should've received at least 5 emails from me.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 May 2017, 23:04

For anyone wondering just what the hell they actually bought, the through-hole type is Gateron KS-8 series, and the SMD type is Gateron KS-9 series.

Return to “Group buys”