[IC] GMK Modifier Kit

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Mar 2017, 12:34

lordzebu wrote: Image
Oooh nice that is PRETTY hot ...

Big question is, can we got custom-color with this kit or do we have to stick with what's on the GMK color ring ... :(

Prelim

08 Mar 2017, 12:42

I vote for requesting GMK the custom light colors (both cyan and purple)!

lordzebu

09 Mar 2017, 14:32

Phenix wrote: Damn it, totally didnt saw them :eek:
[...]
Sorry for sneek editing them in :P.

Added the following keys:
  • 1u and 1.5u backspace
  • stepped caps
  • 1u alt
  • 1u ctrl
  • 6u, 6.25u, 7u spacebar in accent colour
  • iso & ansi enter, esc in base colour

I think we should decide on the colours next. Do we want the reserved monochromatic approach or the purple and turquoise contrast? I asked gmk regarding the custom colours but haven't heard back yet. Since the GMK Muted gb is live I would suspect that there won't be much of a problem with this.
Prelim wrote: I vote for requesting GMK the custom light colors (both cyan and purple)!
While I agree that the cyan and purple looks indeed nice I wouldn't feel comfortable using exactly the same colours
Last edited by lordzebu on 10 Mar 2017, 12:30, edited 3 times in total.

need

09 Mar 2017, 14:57

Personally prefer the monochromatic approach.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 15:07

Regarding standard GMK colors:

I think the standard TU2 would be better than the standard DY but the purple from the mockups would be my first choice if we can get that as a custom color.

lordzebu

09 Mar 2017, 15:43

Got word back from GMK. The MOQ for a set consisting of 40-50 caps would be 500 :shock: . The MOQ of 250 is based on sets consisting of at least 104 caps.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 15:56

lordzebu wrote: Got word back from GMK. The MOQ for a set consisting of 40-50 caps would be 500 :shock: . The MOQ of 250 is based on sets consisting of at least 104 caps.
Okay should I run some more colors from the GMK color ring against the classic beige keycaps?

Phenix
-p

09 Mar 2017, 16:22

to get the lower MOQ: is support for TKL, (maybe numpad) and split spacebars in demand?
(adding caps which are useful to reach the limit)

Prelim

09 Mar 2017, 19:23

lordzebu wrote: Got word back from GMK. The MOQ for a set consisting of 40-50 caps would be 500 :shock: . The MOQ of 250 is based on sets consisting of at least 104 caps.
no way! I've seen a lot of GMK orders with fewer caps (@Wodan GB for instance) and with MOQ 250

Again, I vote for this set but in light custom colors:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 19:39

The high MOQ is for custom colors.

Anything in standard color is MOQ 150

I understand GMK doesn't want to mess with custom ABS colors unless it is for a half-decent order.

Prelim

09 Mar 2017, 19:42

How's the Muted GB MOQ 150 then? @@
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87824.0

lordzebu

09 Mar 2017, 20:17

Most likely some other party pays for the orders that will be left to reach 250.

GMK offered to individually check our draft wether it may qualify for a lower MOQ so I'm going to throw in all the TKL keys I can find. Is that something we might want to do for custom colours?

Phenix
-p

09 Mar 2017, 20:41

i like tossing every key which one could use into it..
If you want to pass the limit, I suggest to also include
accent and mod colored spacebars (if color isn't fixed yet)
split spacebars (maybe similar to the Carbon drop)
TKL, 1800, 75%
F1 to F12 in mod color (was ever done before?)
numpad mods

need

09 Mar 2017, 21:33

Please add a R3 "End" key, so 75% keyboards can use this kit as well. (If you're going for TKL Mods, with Home, PgUp, PgDn keys)

Prelim

10 Mar 2017, 01:00

what about waiting for Muted GB in order to create the custom colors first, and then run this GB with MOQ 250 and fewer caps?

ideus

10 Mar 2017, 05:49

The 1.5u backspace should be Row 2 (D-Profile).

lordzebu

10 Mar 2017, 22:32

ideus wrote: The 1.5u backspace should be Row 2 (D-Profile).
Fixed it, thank you.

ideus

11 Mar 2017, 05:51

lordzebu wrote:
ideus wrote: The 1.5u backspace should be Row 2 (D-Profile).
Fixed it, thank you.
:D

duynguyenle

11 Mar 2017, 12:52

Prelim wrote: How's the Muted GB MOQ 150 then? @@
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87824.0
Because jchan is footing the bill for the extra 100 orders for resell later on his webstore

lordzebu

14 Mar 2017, 18:00

GMK checked the draft I sent them (~74 keys) and concluded that there are still too few to offer a MOQ of 250 sets. I highly doubt that we can fulfill the 500 MOQ so we are stuck with the standard colours.

Prelim

14 Mar 2017, 19:34

plan: wait for Muted GB order, run this GB after! :P

(just my 2 cents)

ideus

14 Mar 2017, 20:09

Plan: Wait for Yuri GMK and Mute group buys to be fulfilled and run this GB with full icon modifiers in muted colors.

lordzebu

14 Mar 2017, 20:33

I'm not exactly sure how the Muted GB would affect the MOQ on this one.

ideus

14 Mar 2017, 21:10

lordzebu wrote: I'm not exactly sure how the Muted GB would affect the MOQ on this one.
Aren't Muted set colors brand new ones? If so, after that run they may be available in the GMK Standard's pallet, aren't they?

Prelim

15 Mar 2017, 00:56

ideus wrote: Aren't Muted set colors brand new ones? If so, after that run they may be available in the GMK Standard's pallet, aren't they?
x2! The OP is sleeping on work lol

Menuhin

15 Mar 2017, 01:28

ideus wrote: Plan: Wait for Yuri GMK and Mute group buys to be fulfilled and run this GB with full icon modifiers in muted colors.

+1 for icon mods.
Nice icon selection, I would also look into icons of DSA Granite and some older IBM boards.

By the way, this orange is quite loud instead of muted... ;)

ideus

15 Mar 2017, 02:16

Right! Carbon pallet is not for everybody; but, the icons are awesome, and the legends may be available after the run, as they do not exist yet.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Mar 2017, 07:06

Just because one GB is run in a custom colors doesn't mean GMK permanently adds this color to their repository.

GMK Plum colors aren't going to become GMK standard either ...

Let's just try to find a good standard color instead of daydreaming about a custom colors. GMK Mute is already offering their custom color keys in accent kits which is a real nice fan service.

Orpheo

15 Mar 2017, 07:48

Maybe should ask GMK directly how it works regarding custom and Plum / Muted...
My hypothesis for now is that it's no longer custom because they already have their formula for this. No prototyping, no external cost, just run of the mill production. But it's only daydreaming and we need their feedback on this.
Yes Jchan did us cherry fan a tremendous service and I joined that GB.
The custom Muted colors are very tasty. Full mods would be a dream for 2017/2018.
To reach the count, maybe we can add full function keys F1 to F12, navigation cluster and numpad functions?

lordzebu

15 Mar 2017, 09:15

Orpheo wrote: Maybe should ask GMK directly how it works regarding custom and Plum / Muted...
I'm waiting on the answer to that question =).
Orpheo wrote: My hypothesis for now is that it's no longer custom because they already have their formula for this. No prototyping, no external cost, just run of the mill production.
They replied that their supplier would not begin to produce for numbers that low as in our case so I suspect they keep the standard colours on hand that are, in the broader sense, also the standard colours of their supplier.

Going back to the ring; does anyone fancy the light green or is this hated across the board?
I quite like it and combining purple accents with this would be nice.

Return to “Group buys”