[BATCH#1] Katalyzr 3DPrnted Converter X->USB O-Src [GLOBAL Ship]

What would you buy for discrete single port adapters? (Keeping it simple for now)

1 x PS2 only ($30USD inc Postage)
No votes
2 x PS2
No votes
>2 x PS2
No votes
1 x ADB only ($30USD inc Postage)
No votes
2 x ADB
No votes
>2 x ADB
No votes
Add PS2-180DIN Dongle (+$7USD)
No votes

Total votes: 0

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 10:25

https://goo.gl/forms/a4Kyp0D7QJX7ubXH2

FIRST 50 UNITS ARE A GO. Please reorder if you had already filled the form in. Delivery time will vary with distance, but usually should arrive within 2 weeks to a month, or within a week if you're in AUS
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC2.png
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC2.png (106.49 KiB) Viewed 18460 times
Katalyzr has been created to produce a cheap and open source method of converting keyboards. Where application specific cables do not support resoldering or reinstalling bootloaders into the pro micro, Katalyzr is an alternative which bridges the gap between premade and open source converters. It supports the firmwares both of Soarer's renowned converter and Hasu's swiss army knife of converter firmwares by default. However, you can request that I flash a custom firmware provided you stay true to the wiring of Soarer's PS/2 configuration or Hasu's ADB pinout configuration on the pro micro. The components and wiring are all taken care of in the soldering. 0 headaches to be had, that is, provided that your keyboard is supported by the firmware and is fully functional.
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC4.png
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC4.png (93.7 KiB) Viewed 18460 times
Katalyzr is designed to be semi-modular, allowing you to switch out any connector that is the same form factor as the PS/2 or ADB female plug with a bit of resoldering and reconfiguration. Katalyz has a magnetic case with 8 neodymiums, enough so that you can snap it in place, whilst also being able to break into two upon impact to protect the entire device from shock (why is this feature still here lmao, I guess its kinda cool).
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC.png
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC.png (35.04 KiB) Viewed 18460 times
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC3.png
Pro Micro Case PS2_MAGNETIC3.png (24.26 KiB) Viewed 18460 times
All converters come with pull up resistors to prevent signal dropoff. All of the first batch will either be grey or industrial blue (don't quote me on that, it just looks close enough to me), and made on either the heavily upgraded GEEETECH i3 or the Cetus MK3 printers I possess.

To ensure that every converter works on arrival I rigorously test every single completed unit in all stages of production. This includes testing it live for a minute or so to ensure that all keystrokes are working and that the signal is clearly defined on the receiving computer. The unit is reverse mounted on the opposing shell of its final configuration with the connector facing downwards to ensure the 'letter' thickness is met.

PLEASE READ THE ONLINE OR PROVIDED MANUAL WHEN CONFIGURING IT FROM SHIPPING POSITION!!!! DO NOT FORCE THE HALVES TOGETHER OR YOU WILL BREAK THE MICROUSB PLUG.
!!!WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ACCIDENTAL USER DAMAGE!!!

Postage is included in the pricetag, no fine print :) (unless you're in some obscure country that costs 10k to ship to???)

I will have a $40USD signature edition SLA version in some weeks, it will be signed and the Impulsyn designs logo hand painted by me in the color scheme shown in sketchup make. It will also have eight magnets for each half because why not? This will be printed by my new modified SLA sparkmaker in Wanhao washable white resin.

Free Models will allow you to print your own!
Please develop the Sketchup file with me if you guys want to suggest any interesting model changes (you will need some magnets):
Here: http://microify.com/BGw
SketchUp: http://microify.com/BH2

It features:
- Magnetic snap fit!
- Preflashed with a pro micro within!
- PS2 version supports AT/XT/PS2/Most model M type protocols
- Screw mounting!
- Completely open source and modular
- High quality FDM printed

!!!!IF YOU HAVE A 3D PRINTER/INJECTION MOLDING FACILITIES!!!!
PM me for mass production opportunities in other countries. This is my full time job right now, so assuming these are selling at around $40AUD I would need a royalty of $3 per unit sold to fund my uni education. I know a lot of people in the USA who need this, but my production rate is limited to about 4 pieces a day.

I am strictly selling my manpower and materials here. I do not own Hasu or Soarer's respective firmwares - these have been offered online for free and are not considered as being part of the sale - merely that I selling the time and skill it takes to mount these firmwares and solder on the components needed to the board. However, I am open to royalty negotiation if any of the aforementioned wish to receive credit for their hard work in these much respected converter firmwares.

Old renders and prototypes:

Renders!
Soarer Exploded.png
Soarer Exploded.png (41.57 KiB) Viewed 20295 times
Alpha test prints!
IMG_20170412_194054_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170412_194054_HDR.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 20150 times
IMPROVED CASE PRINTS!
IMG_20170410_192546_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170410_192546_HDR.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 20202 times
Last edited by Wingklip on 25 Apr 2019, 08:58, edited 23 times in total.

marijan

26 Mar 2017, 11:26

Great idea!
Can you post some more pics/references because I have no idea what some of the vote options mean :-(

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 13:57

Basically choose a color combo you would like for the top or bottom of the case. I can only print one color for each half of the case, but I'll be able to hand paint the logo and letters lel

Need help fixing warping, though most of the issues of extrusion have been fixed. FDM is a fickle thing #SLAprinterforwingklipfund

Wiring:
IMG_20170312_225535_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170312_225535_HDR.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 20768 times
3 D model:
IMG_20170302_231918_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170302_231918_HDR.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 20768 times
IMG_20170302_231909_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170302_231909_HDR.jpg (4.59 MiB) Viewed 20768 times
Cue expectation reality meme

More coming later. Have to sleep for my test tomorrow xd

t8c

26 Mar 2017, 14:46

Screw mounts and I am sold. White and industrial grey!

alienman82

26 Mar 2017, 20:31

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 21:48

alienman82 wrote: Mike52787 and I made something like this using metal project boxes and a Teensy with all
really good panel mounted ports and such. Though the cost was something like $50+
I'm making these and aiming to be a half the price of Orihalcon's converters in AUD, preferably including postage. It will be light, so thus easy to ship, but very well built. I'm aiming at a 20% hexagon infill or likewise. If anyone has 3d printing experience with warping fixing please tell me ;)

The way I'm mounting the ports are with the retainers themselves. I have a plan to use a version with plastic retainers or even ones with neodymium magnet homing mounts. I have ordered 1200 neo magnetics already for this lmao. Each of them are like 2mm^3

Final price including labour should be about $20 aud or so. These are teensy compatible too, so if you make your own teensy I can send you one, or you can potentially print your own :)

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 21:49

t8c wrote: Screw mounts and I am sold. White and industrial grey!
Ah yes. Would that be in ABS or PLA? I was trying to avoid ABS white because it likes to turn yellow xd

Crossfire

26 Mar 2017, 22:52

Try improving those 3D prints some more: better nozzle cooling and more accurately level the bed.
Beside that, good job, many people will find these little gems useful.
Me? I like to squeeze them inside the case if possible ;)

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 23:54

Waiting on that 0.2 nozzle xd
Currently bordering on 7 hours per complete print
ABS WHY U KEEP WARPING

Should I max out my bed temp to 120 degrees C and leave the extruder even cooler? I have reservations with low temp causing underextrusion but maybe not with this beefy thing
IMG_20170326_165734_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170326_165734_HDR.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 20646 times
2 motors = double the horsepower!

Crossfire

27 Mar 2017, 08:38

Try by directly cooling the nozzle like diicooler style ;)
It should help immensly on your beast of a 3D print.
120C for bed? What material? Try using a quality hairspray, for PLA should work anything between 50-70, depeneds of ambient temps...

Wingklip

27 Mar 2017, 09:42

Crossfire wrote: Try by directly cooling the nozzle like diicooler style ;)
It should help immensly on your beast of a 3D print.
120C for bed? What material? Try using a quality hairspray, for PLA should work anything between 50-70, depeneds of ambient temps...
Hmm. Been attempting to use ABS because of superior mechanical flexibility and the ability to acetone smooth. PLA works too but the issue with that is that it's way too stiff for making clips or anything of the like. PLA does warp Much less though

Or maybe I should make the clips circular? I have lengthened them all the way down the inside of the housing to allow more flex, so I'll try again.

I'm designing a variant with micro magnets embedded in holes with small homing bulbs rising up. Should be more hardy than clips or screws tbh in terms of reusability

Crossfire

27 Mar 2017, 11:50

For ABS you need an enclosure... it's very susceptible to the temp changes and it can totally screw the print without it. I'm planning to do it myself when I'll tackle ABS fillaments :)
Use the screws. It must remain simple and cheap. Beside, there's no need to open it anways.

Wingklip

27 Mar 2017, 15:32

Crossfire wrote: For ABS you need an enclosure... it's very susceptible to the temp changes and it can totally screw the print without it. I'm planning to do it myself when I'll tackle ABS fillaments :)
Use the screws. It must remain simple and cheap. Beside, there's no need to open it anways.
Magnets are only $0.02 AUD each, and that's therefore only around 12c a case for six neos. I'm going to try that first and see how hardy it is :D

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

27 Mar 2017, 16:25

I would be interested in a black ABS one with AT-connector and magnets :D Everything is better with magnets :evilgeek:

The fastening method doesn't really matter too much, I just like the smoothness when e.g. a lid is held in place with magnets in product packaging.

Phenix
-p

27 Mar 2017, 19:38

pansku wrote:I would be interested in a black ABS one with AT-connector and magnets :D Everything is better with magnets :evilgeek:

The fastening method doesn't really matter too much, I just like the smoothness when e.g. a lid is held in place with magnets in product packaging.
Yea, magnets are great.

are there plans for an 'all in one' converter (so PS2/DIN5/DIN5/ADB/maybe USB?

paecific.jr

27 Mar 2017, 22:43

Phenix wrote:
pansku wrote:I would be interested in a black ABS one with AT-connector and magnets :D Everything is better with magnets :evilgeek:

Yea, magnets are great.

An 'all in one' sign me up! Maybe also have the one for the IBM Model F 122 or the ability to switch your mode with a software utility? I currently have 3 adapters for my 3 keyboards so I am sold on that idea!

Wingklip

27 Mar 2017, 23:20

All in one eh? Hmmm. The most I had thoughts of to keep this small and easy to ship is by keeping it to one port into which you can plug in a specially designed low profile adapter into it.

How do you even convert ADB anyways? Does soarer's converter support that? I have found it quite hard to find any ports of adb on eBay too quite oddly

USB should be easier though xd

Nuum

27 Mar 2017, 23:29

ADB sockets and plugs are the same as S-Video ones, so maybe have a look for that.

cumwagondeluxe

28 Mar 2017, 00:12

Phenix wrote:

Yea, magnets are great.

I just started researching this recently, I really hate the idea of having a bunch of converters (especially since a lot of them are essentially mini-cables, adding to clutter/mess) lying around that I have to worry about. It seems like it's certainly possible to have e.g. 5 Teensys connected over i2c in a master-slave relationship, although I'm not sure how powering them works (i.e. if it's possible to either have everything powered off of one USB port which seems kind of unlikely, or somehow have it so that only the master Teensy and one of the slaves is powered at a time). Frankly, I'm surprised nobody has yet made a USB hub type box with like 3 ~ 6 of the more common old interfaces. Make the box attractive enough and it's a cool desk thing and no dangly converters hanging out from your PC or your desk.

Though, any actually sellable version would need a custom controller or pro micros if possible, since just having 4 port options + the USB-USB teensy would be like $100 in Teensys alone. Add the cost of a nice plastic or aluminum case and labour + shipping and it's like $200 with relatively low profit margin.

Phenix
-p

28 Mar 2017, 00:20

If I see it correctly one can solder as many ports as one like to ONE teensy
meaning say 6 wires go to one port on the controller.

maybe one can add the usb-shield for USB-USB the same way

As its a bit bigger I would think an metal box is nicer than plastic

interestingly I wasnt able to find an PS2 screw in socket in Germany...

Wingklip

28 Mar 2017, 03:47

I've ordered only PCB mounts because they have the best design capacity for being friction and cantilever fit using their soldering feet.

Not a single drop of super glue or epoxy is needed, and not a single screw. Have an update today to share with you guys: a new model!

This is Rev1.0M of the device and should be the designation that it will ship with.

It sports 6 magnet holes on each half for a total of 12 each. Every single one is a 2^3mm neo

I have designed six mounting pins each for the halves to mate together. If the project falls on the ground, you don't have to worry about pins breaking as most of the force is broken in the halves splitting magnetically. They have much more resilience than screws and can be better modified without the clips in the way (come to think of it I should have made the clips on the other side for convenience, but who solders while it is in the housing anyways?). It should last longer than using screws in case you are a buff man with arms the size of a drain pipe and strip the thread.

Snap on snap off, low cost, low weight, high quality is the motto I'm going for.

Here it is:
IMG_20170328_123019_HDR_1490664736088.jpg
IMG_20170328_123019_HDR_1490664736088.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 20485 times
If you have any ideas post them below :)

Crossfire

28 Mar 2017, 07:37

Looks dope, if magnets stay in place after some use, it's definitely job well done.

Wingklip

28 Mar 2017, 11:18

Managed to get the ABS to stick better by lowering bed temp and keeping a constant extruder and bed temp. Also made some ABS slurry with the newly bought Acetone I got today :)

Wingklip

30 Mar 2017, 22:55

An unwarped specimen!

Black ABS is likely ready to go once the magnets arrive.

I'll be mass printing a bit of both the clip version and the magnet version with black PLA today

Best print yet:
IMG_20170331_074254_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170331_074254_HDR.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 20393 times
Solder ball for comparison xd

Accuracy to .1 of a mm. The text prints perfectly. Some slight under extrusion and hollowing on the last layers but probably the best print I have had because it didn't warp :)

PVA is probably the best printing bed. Especially when roughed up by previous prints or sanded a bit with steel wool
IMG_20170330_190926_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170330_190926_HDR.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 20392 times

Wingklip

31 Mar 2017, 14:30

I found out why I was still getting underextrusion in the same places every time

Not the fault of the hotend but because the printer is accelerating to the right and going down at the same time without much of an increase in filament extrusion. Hopefully the next print fixes that...

Wingklip

03 Apr 2017, 00:00

Getting better! Got a mostly circular PS2 port now :)

- Moved text inside to prevent extrusion issues from perimeter underextrusion (slic3r WTF)
- rounded the PS/2 port cover section
- increased tolerances of the holes of the pins
- Increased the length of the device by 1mm so that the cables actually fit and don't cut off (XD)
- increased the slope of the clips so that they slide on much easier :)
- sloped off the USB port to make it look more sexc. Still kept the screwdriver slot underneath the USB micro port for easy removal if needed
- Removed the date stamp (for now)
- Made a logo engraving on the top of the cap :D logo should glow in the center when working xd

Photos:
IMG_20170403_073716_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170403_073716_HDR.jpg (4.73 MiB) Viewed 20323 times
IMG_20170403_073638_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170403_073638_HDR.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 20323 times
IMG_20170403_073624_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170403_073624_HDR.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 20323 times

Wingklip

03 Apr 2017, 12:26

paecific.jr wrote:
Phenix wrote:

Yea, magnets are great.

An 'all in one' sign me up! Maybe also have the one for the IBM Model F 122 or the ability to switch your mode with a software utility? I currently have 3 adapters for my 3 keyboards so I am sold on that idea!
Not at all overambitious. But if I were to do that it would almost double the price because I need to fit 5 different ports on a single bracket "Dong" attachment to the end of the adapter. Would make it much taller and wider too. Not by too much though. The only problem I would have would be USB, because that thing is hella wide and hard to fit into a small space lmao.

Do you know the pinouts to the pro micro or teensy for each of them? If they are all the same then life would be easy. Keep in mind it can only power one keyboard at once though, at least, until I start messing with it ;)

Who knows? Maybe you can actually dual wield keyboards with this!
IBM model M x2 anyone?

The system is now entirely chosen to be magnetic for REV 1.0 release. I will acetone smooth each part in a vapour chamber for about an hour each. Production rate will be around 2 units a day. Do expect the quality to be good to high, as I will be personally checking each of them working and cleaning them up by hand. I will also be painting the logo and text with nail polish.

1.0 release will be a run of ten converters with only ps/2 to usb. it will be a small price of $19 Aud with shipping included within Australia. Anywhere outside will be subject to a price of probably $24 aud including postage or somewhere around these numbers.

doom2

03 Apr 2017, 19:27

Will there be a version compatible with Model F XT?

Wingklip

03 Apr 2017, 22:42

doom2 wrote: Will there be a version compatible with Model F XT?
If soarer or hasu supports it then yes

Anyone need 270 din as well?

t8c

03 Apr 2017, 23:05

Wingklip wrote:
doom2 wrote: Will there be a version compatible with Model F XT?
If soarer or hasu supports it then yes

Anyone need 270 din as well?
Yes for my incoming QTRONIX keyboard! Only PS2
Last edited by t8c on 03 Apr 2017, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group buys”