Buckling spring Deskthority DT keycaps

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2017, 17:08

Hello there, recently there has been much buzz around getting a set of DT keycaps made in the similar fashion that emdude [1] did with his keycaps.

The idea is:
To contact the the seller we wish to make the keycaps
Ask for a quote on a small run of DT keycaps
Gauge interest at the quoted price
Gather pre order money
Get the caps and ship them person by person for the Americas and possibly a proxy for Europe/Asia/Oceana if shipping is an issue (This can be looked into, the package may be flat enough to ship cheaply from the USA)

Harshmellow through around the idea of having keycaps personalized with their club membership number which can also be looked into. If there are any more ideas please share, and if someone has already started this process also share as it would not be advantageous to have multiple batches from different people for the same product.

Questions you may ask
Q - Will you be making a profit on this venture (If you are indeed the person who will be running the group buy)
A - No.

Q - Have you ran a group buy before?
A - No.

Q - Can I trust you with my money?
A - Well I have no track record but if the issue is trust I can bankroll a certain number of keycaps and have people buy from that stock. This would have the negative of only having the stock of what I can afford.

Q - Should we all contact the "dye sub seller" right now?
A - No. This will cause confusion.

Q - Will you find the cheapest way to ship it safely to *insert xyz country outside of the americas*
A - Yes I can go to UPS, Fedex and USPS and you can claim whatever value you want for the product in customs.

[1] photos-f62/post-your-keyboard-keycaps-t ... ml#p374027

Colors/Colours (Under the assumption that the keycaps will be purchased from Unicomp, which may or may not be the only choice)
Pearl, Pebble, Gray, White, Light Blue?, Green? Red?

Interest List
1. seebart (2)
2. myself (1 pebble) or (1 green)
3. Vizir (?)
4. pansku (2 pebble 1 "colored")
5. hypkx (1)
6. snoopy (2 pebble) or (2 pebble and 1 red)
7. Scarpia (2 pebble 1 light blue) or (3 pebble)
8. Scottex (1 pearl 1 pebble 1 red)
9. Khers (2 pebble 1 red)
10. wobbled (1 red 1 blue 1 pebble)
11. 2ter (1 pebble, 1 yellow 1 light blue)
12. marijan (1 white 1 pebble)
13. kekstee (2 pebble 1 "colored")
14. consolation (1 light blue) or (1 pebble)
15. //gainsborough (1 white 1 pebble 1 light blue)
16. Nuum (1 pebble) or (1 pearl)
17. the_ambyguous (1 pebble 1 pearl)
18. krutmob (1 pebble)
19. Phenix (1 pebble 1 red)
20. pr0ximity (1 pebble)
21. webwit (1 of each color made)
22. XMIT (4 red)
23. alh84001 (1 pearl 1 pebble 1 white 1 red)

7 June 2017 1:30pm EST -
Changed "Order List" to "Interest List" to better reflect what the list is for

7 June 2017 1:45pm EST -
Please also include which color you would be interested in order of most to least, do not include colors you would not purchase. It should be known that if interest is too low for a color it will not be made and it is possible that we will only go with 2 colors to keep things simple which would be Pebble and White.

7 June 2017 3:15pm EST -
Note that this project is not an officially supported project of the Deskthority club which manages the usage of the Deskthority logo. But is used in accordance to the guidelines outline by webwit here keyboards-f2/the-oracle-answers-t49-1200.html#p282404

7 June 2017 4:45pm EST -
Project is officially in the "prototype" phase. Thanks to Xmit for communicating with the dye sub seller. The seller currently does not have any free time until the end of June so we will collect orders and get a final number on price and a prototype by the end of the month.

3 July 2017 -
Prototype has been made order will go out tonight ( https://imgur.com/a/roerE ) note that the supplier has said "the black is much darker and crisper than it appears in this potato pic" also depicted is an DSA keycap not a buckling spring keycap which this will be printed on.
Last edited by codemonkeymike on 03 Jul 2017, 20:32, edited 28 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jun 2017, 17:16

Great, put me down for two DT keycaps please.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Jun 2017, 17:18

There is a guy in Houston who came to our last keyboard meetup who was experimenting with dye sub. Let me get in touch with him...

Vizir

07 Jun 2017, 17:23

I might be interested. Do you have the image or more info about what the cap might look like?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2017, 17:29

Vizir wrote: I might be interested. Do you have the image or more info about what the cap might look like?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Assuming we would be using the same vendor as emdude did ( photos-f62/post-your-keyboard-keycaps-t ... ml#p374027 ). This is subject to change depending on what happens with the xmit's contact, which is exciting stuff!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Jun 2017, 17:43

It was /u/wokechill. I've sent him a PM to see if he can help. Here is an example of his previous work.
Custom dye sub key caps by /u/wokechill.
Custom dye sub key caps by /u/wokechill.
600_5181.jpg (302.67 KiB) Viewed 7888 times

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

07 Jun 2017, 17:50

I'd be interested in two caps if the price is reasonable.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

07 Jun 2017, 18:36

I am also interested in one.

snoopy

07 Jun 2017, 18:55

I would buy two

hansichen

07 Jun 2017, 18:58

If they are ~1$ each I'd probably take 2-3 :)

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2017, 19:55

If you have a preference in color then please check OP. Note that we may go with only Pebble and White but if enough people prefer a 3rd color then it will be added.

Scarpia

07 Jun 2017, 20:49

I'll take 2 pebble and, if possible, 1 red. If red is not possible, then 3 pebble.

I figure, since we are likely ordering a dozen or more then it's quite possible that the Etsy seller will have to put in an order for blanks anyway, in which case we should be able to specify our desired colors from those available from Unicomp: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/PRK

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2017, 20:57

Scarpia wrote: I'll take 2 pebble and, if possible, 1 red. If red is not possible, then 3 pebble.

I figure, since we are likely ordering a dozen or more then it's quite possible that the Etsy seller will have to put in an order for blanks anyway, in which case we should be able to specify our desired colors from those available from Unicomp: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/PRK
Indeed, I am currently deciding between two suppliers for dye sub and I believe Unicomp will be the only one able to supply keycaps for the near future. I personally thing we should avoid colors which are too dark which would not allow the logo to show up that well. That is why I did not include red and some other colors as well, but I have only seen it in pictures and not in person so correct me if I am mistaken.

Scarpia

07 Jun 2017, 21:00

Good point. I will revise my preorder then: Two pebble and a light blue for me, thanks :)

snoopy

07 Jun 2017, 21:27

snoopy wrote: I would buy two
two pebble

and if available an additional red one

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jun 2017, 21:35

snoopy wrote:
two pebble

Hmm...if there are going to be red ones I might have to update my order. :o

codemonkeymike

07 Jun 2017, 21:42

seebart wrote:
snoopy wrote:
two pebble

Hmm...if there are going to be red ones I might have to update my order. :o
Hmm, well it seems we will have to seriously consider it as a 3rd color with the interest so far. All numbers can be adjusted once we know which colors are most popular so feel free to list what you would buy if it were to exist.

Scottex

07 Jun 2017, 21:46

A white one, a one pebble and a red one over here pls
Last edited by Scottex on 07 Jun 2017, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

07 Jun 2017, 21:49

pansku wrote: I'd be interested in two caps if the price is reasonable.
If we are going to get more colors than white and pebble, make it two pebble and the most popular extra colour which at the moment seems to be red. So 3 caps in total.

Khers

07 Jun 2017, 22:04

I'd buy two pebble and a red one, if available.

wobbled

07 Jun 2017, 22:25

I'd buy three if possible. One red, one light blue, one pebble.

2ter

07 Jun 2017, 22:41

i`d like 1 pebble, 1 yellow and 1 light blue if price and shipping will be reasonable.

marijan

07 Jun 2017, 22:47

1 pebble, 1 white

kekstee

08 Jun 2017, 02:29

Would be interested in pebble first, maybe also red and pearl.

Let's assume 2 pebble and maybe an additional colour.

consolation

08 Jun 2017, 02:32

1 Blue (or pebble if blue not an option)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

08 Jun 2017, 02:52

I'd be interested in 1 white, 1 pebble, 1 light blue

codemonkeymike

08 Jun 2017, 15:29

Interest List updated, it seems we can expect at least 35 keycaps or more to be ordered.

Touch_It

08 Jun 2017, 18:52

Any rough idea on the price? If it is reasonable, I'd be interested in a few. (not sure on colors yet)

Nuum

08 Jun 2017, 19:16

I'd also be interested in one pebble and one pearl coloured DT keycap!

codemonkeymike

08 Jun 2017, 19:25

Touch_It wrote: Any rough idea on the price? If it is reasonable, I'd be interested in a few. (not sure on colors yet)
More then $5 less then $10. Doing everything possible to keep the price near the low side of that range. This is price before shipping, so take that into account. I should be able to put this in a small padded envelope with a little packing and ship it cheaply. Each person will be charged exactly what it cost in shipping to them, unless someone finds that it is cheaper to proxy and there is someone who wants to be a proxy.

Return to “Group buys”