Aliaz silent switches (Tactile)

KBDfans

26 Dec 2017, 13:48

• Tactile switch with mold, housing, and stem redesigned by KBDfans
• Silent switch with a lubricated stem that glides smoother than stock switches
• 4 spring weights to choose 60G/70G/80G/100G
• Choice of either Pcb mount (5 leg) and Plate mount (3 leg) - both with transparent housings
• Support for SMD RGB LEDs, 2 Leg LEDs and 4 Leg RGB LEDs
• Transparent housing, Pink-colored stem
• Has a feeling similar to Mx Clear switches, but smoother and better
• Manufactured by Gateron

https://kbdfans.cn/products/pre-orderal ... ch-tactile

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jjxn7vFtZE0

rominronin

26 Dec 2017, 22:04

These look very interesting. How soon are they available? Has anyone tried them? I would love to hear detailed comparisons with mx silent reds and also standard browns...

KBDfans

27 Dec 2017, 13:44

rominronin wrote: These look very interesting. How soon are they available? Has anyone tried them? I would love to hear detailed comparisons with mx silent reds and also standard browns...
The first batch of production is expected to be completed in 10 days.

AdrianMan

27 Dec 2017, 17:13

Looking forward for some reviews and force graphs :)

If it's silent upstroke + downstroke, mx clear tactile bump like + lubbed = big hit stuff :)

davkol

27 Dec 2017, 20:32

Based on comments elsewhere, the bump is like on browns.

Findecanor

27 Dec 2017, 23:37

The bump sure looks like the Brown's in the pictures above.

Zeal PC's "Zilents": $0.90 / switch (used to be 1.20). PCB-mount only. Minimum 20.
KBDFans Aliaz: $0.55. Plate-mount only. Minimum 20.
KBDFans' Gateron silent brown: $0.38. PCB-mount only.

I would like to have a dampened lubed switch with Cherry MX Clear feel. I am using lubed MX Clears and "Zealencio" silencing clips right now and the clips do jack s**t in reducing sound.

Elrick

28 Dec 2017, 02:41

Findecanor wrote: I am using lubed MX Clears and "Zealencio" silencing clips right now and the clips do jack s**t in reducing sound.
The so-called "Silencing Clips" are fake in every sense of the word. People always get fooled into buying anything when the word "Silencing" is used on any MX based keyboard.

Relax, once you've lost a little of your hearing, then nothing is too loud for you again that includes all the Model-Ms and Fs in this world ;) .

TheNacho
delicious.

28 Dec 2017, 15:14

I ordered myself an assortment of 70/80 and 100gr ones. Will report back, once I tested them.

Menuhin

28 Dec 2017, 15:58

I am really curious about their comparison: Zilents, Aliaz, & Gateron silient.

However, Cherry has not released their silent switches for their clicky and tactile models, and only for their linear models (reds and blacks). I am kind of with them or my taste - I don't need my clicky switches or my tactile switches to be silent.
I may still buy them if they have really good reviews.

The bottomline is, I am really waiting for the linear silent competitors for Cherry to be released.

codemonkeymike

28 Dec 2017, 15:59

Elrick wrote:
Findecanor wrote: I am using lubed MX Clears and "Zealencio" silencing clips right now and the clips do jack s**t in reducing sound.
The so-called "Silencing Clips" are fake in every sense of the word. People always get fooled into buying anything when the word "Silencing" is used on any MX based keyboard.

Relax, once you've lost a little of your hearing, then nothing is too loud for you again that includes all the Model-Ms and Fs in this world ;) .
I can assure you they are real, I have then installed on my keyboards at home. They only dampen the landing and only if you use OEM or cherry caps with crossbars that hit the top of the key switche.

rominronin

29 Dec 2017, 12:09

I tried MX Silent Reds at a recent meetup and I was truly impressed. Not just the noise reduction (which actually is not so important to me) but the feel of the switches was improved over other linear switches I've tried. So much so that I've wanted to buy some since that day - even though I prefer tactile switches.

I was willing to wait until Cherry made a tactile version of their silent reds, but seeing these -- I just have to try them man. I've ordered a batch to test @KBDfans ;)

AdrianMan

02 Jan 2018, 20:50

rominronin

04 Jan 2018, 21:40

Thanks.

Seriously, everything I've read so far sounds good. I'm looking forward to trying them out...

TheNacho
delicious.

07 Feb 2018, 18:27

Okay, I just picked up my batch of switches from the post office. First impression: They are definitely quieter than the Halo Trues I can immediately compare them to, coming out of my K-Type. Also, they are quite a lot less tactile. They are not linear, but you really have to feel for the tactile bump. I am using the 70gr on the alphas, 80 on modifiers and just for kicks, I added some 100gr switches to the arrow keys.

Lets see how they fare in the long run.

AdrianMan

07 Feb 2018, 18:48

TheNacho wrote: Okay, I just picked up my batch of switches from the post office. First impression: They are definitely quieter than the Halo Trues I can immediately compare them to, coming out of my K-Type. Also, they are quite a lot less tactile. They are not linear, but you really have to feel for the tactile bump. I am using the 70gr on the alphas, 80 on modifiers and just for kicks, I added some 100gr switches to the arrow keys.

Lets see how they fare in the long run.
Someone compared them to be very similar to the gatheron silents.

Are they lubed / smooth ?

TheNacho
delicious.

07 Feb 2018, 18:58

AdrianMan wrote: Someone compared them to be very similar to the gatheron silents.

Are they lubed / smooth ?
They feel pretty smooth, but I can't tell you whether they are lubed or not. Haven't tried the gateron silents yet. From my first typings so far, I like the 80gr ones the best. 70 tends to be a tad light, but 100 is too much for every key :D

rominronin

08 Feb 2018, 10:12

I'll post a comparison when I get mine. I received some deliveries in the office, which should be my aliaz AND my silent browns.

Unfortunately I'm off due to illness so I probably wont get them until next week now.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Feb 2018, 14:54

Got mine today! (and my SA Vim caps, yay) :D Will post impressions after soldering the switches to a PCB.

Findecanor

08 Feb 2018, 15:03

I am not surprised that the tactility is small with those springs. The slider bump had been designed for Gateron Brown, with tactile force at 50g and bottom out at ~55g. Often if you put a harder spring into a switch, the tactility tends to lessen.

BTW. I skipped the Aliaz and got some Gateron Silent Brown the other day which I compared against regular Gateron Brown with QMX Clips, Zealencios and O-rings respectively. The Silent switches were the most silent of the four both on bottoming out and topping up and did not suffer from any noticeable reduction in key travel, which especially the ones with Zealencios did.
So, I think the Silent Browns feel quite good already (... for browns). I think the big question is: are the improvements in the Aliaz significant enough for the 45% higher price?

rominronin

08 Feb 2018, 15:27

Findecanor wrote: ...I think the Silent Browns feel quite good already (... for browns). I think the big question is: are the improvements in the Aliaz significant enough for the 45% higher price?
This is what I hope to answer soon. I ordered small batches of both. I'll only be able to test them on a bare switch plate initially, but I expect that to highlight any significant differences - if any exist.

rominronin

17 Feb 2018, 11:58

My Aliaz switches arrived but my order for the silent browns got mixed up (I received silent blacks instead) so I can't offer a comparison (yet).

My initial impressions are that I'm really a fan of Cherry's approach to silent switches - which numerous gateron switches, including this one, has copied. The small internal rubber bumps do a great job of dampening MOST of the sound of typing and they feel far better than o-rings.

However, as feared, the bump isn't anywhere near as crisp as Zealios or MX clears. I bought the 60g variant and while I don't yet have the silent brown switches to compare, I have swapped 62g and 65g springs into regular Gateron browns, and these feel very similar to those, namely that the bump is reduced in favour of a harder-to-bottom-out spring force.

If you're looking for a crisp tactile silent switch that uses Cherry's approach with the silencing rubber bumps, then Zilents are your only off-the-shelf option afaik.

If you're happy with the feel of Gateron browns with heavier springs, the Aliaz offer a ready-to-buy silent option to save you the trouble of swapping springs. Outside of this, I can't imagine why you'd pay extra for Aliaz switches if you'd be happy with regular silent browns.

Return to “Group buys”