[Interest Check] Alternative Action Cherry Switch (MX1A-3)

harrison

12 Jan 2012, 07:04

I saw a recent post at GeekHack brought back from the dead regarding the Cherry latching/locking switch. This switch when pressed locks in the on position, and needs to be pressed a second time to un-lock and put it back into the off position. This is ideal for a function key (like Function Lock) for layers on keyboards like the Phantom and even more so on a keyboard like the DOX.

The Cherry MX1A-3 switch looks like this:
Description: MX1A-3 - Black switch with Grey upper housing and toggles on/off

This switch (other than being really rare) isn't even documented on the Cherry website because it's been out of production for so long, and is obviously no longer available for manufacturing, regardless of desired quantity.

I've found a variety of suppliers which show the part number in their database, but as one would imagine, they're all out-of-stock.... with exception to 2. Some how, I missed these suppliers in a previous search, likely due to the fact that they're referenced using the FULL product code. Having said this, I'm sure someone's going to do some searching and also find the same two suppliers I've found, but by any hope, I'll have purchased the (very limited) remaining stock tomorrow morning.

I'm curious if anyone is interested (here comes the ensuing "me-first" posts) in getting their hands on one or two of these switches. I don't yet know what my cost on them would be, so I can't suggest what I'd ask. What I can say is that it would be first-come-first-serve, and that I would not be looking to make a profit from re-selling the switches. From what I've seen, historical prices appear to have varied from 5.00usd as high as 10.00usd.

I'm going to post this over on GeekHack as well, but again, I have no clue how accurate the stock count is, so there's no telling how many switches we're talking about (hence the interest check).

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2599 ... ction-Lock

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jan 2012, 08:02

Interested in 2 of them.

Ascaii
The Beard

12 Jan 2012, 08:09

ditto

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Jan 2012, 08:12

They should still be available actually. I got a few last year from someone who ordered 1000 from Cherry.

hoggy

12 Jan 2012, 08:26

Interested.

lapin00b

12 Jan 2012, 08:34

interested too (2 to 6 depending on availability and price)

Tarkoon

12 Jan 2012, 09:50

Also interested in some.

RiGS

12 Jan 2012, 10:00

Interested in 2 of them.

mrog

12 Jan 2012, 10:02

Depending on price I would be interested in at least a couple

Minskleip

12 Jan 2012, 10:19

Ditto

pepoteES

12 Jan 2012, 10:29

also interested in some :)

Gilgam

12 Jan 2012, 12:29

4 for me

Spharx

12 Jan 2012, 12:50

Depending on the price: 1 - 5

xbb

12 Jan 2012, 13:05

Interested in 2-5

mintberryminuscrunch

12 Jan 2012, 14:26

dumb question, while the switch stays down, it only fires once, or?

gore

12 Jan 2012, 14:48

Interested in at least a couple

Tarkoon

12 Jan 2012, 15:01

I would take one of these into my Phantom build between right Cherry Alt and Ctrl with the "page1/2" doubleshot cap (lower left edge in the picture) and use it to switch between layer 1 and layer 2 of the keyboard.

harrison

12 Jan 2012, 15:10

Interesting. While the PCB mounted ones (MX1A-31NW) are limited stock (~6) they have over 8000 plate mount switches (MX1A-31NN). Still waiting on pricing confirmation.

Using this as a reference: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Locking switches for EVERYONE!

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:dumb question, while the switch stays down, it only fires once, or?
it stays activated (on) while locked.
Tarkoon wrote:I would take one of these into my Phantom build between right Cherry Alt and Ctrl with the "page1/2" doubleshot cap (lower left edge in the picture) and use it to switch between layer 1 and layer 2 of the keyboard.
now THAT is sweet.

harrison

12 Jan 2012, 15:21

These guys also have the grey spacebar switches.

Tarkoon

12 Jan 2012, 15:38

harrison wrote:Interesting. While the PCB mounted ones (MX1A-31NW) are limited stock (~6) they have over 8000 plate mount switches (MX1A-31NN). Still waiting on pricing confirmation.
The plate mounted ones would be the ones I'm interested in.

harrison

12 Jan 2012, 16:37

Okay, I know I've got the right part number on the grey switches, but I've gone ahead and ordered a single green and a single latching switch to confirm that they're in fact the correct parts and numbers. Worst case, I'm out 30 bucks, best case scenario though, we'll have a source for all of the switches that don't meet minimum order quantity for the other group buy.

harrison

12 Jan 2012, 16:48

Okay, i'm setting up a spreadsheet, and will likely need to create a new thread. Basically, I need username, forum, and desired quantity.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/emb ... X1k3SFE6MQ

guilleguillaume

12 Jan 2012, 19:40

I would be interested in some of these too.

Kurk

14 Jan 2012, 18:02

I'm interested in a few (1-10) depending on the price.

Return to “Group buys”