Omnikey PCB and Fullsize Customs (Round 2 opening soon)

BlindAssassin111

15 Feb 2018, 19:43

Welcome!
This started out checking to see if people wanted a replacement PCB for the Omnikey lineup, and later it grew to include ANSI and ISO support. On top of all of this, I also designed a plate for all the layouts(single DXF file, as there are 360+ different layouts!!) so you can make a custom fullsize or larger board using a sandwhich case, or if you wanted, even an all aluminum one.

PCB Render:
Omnikey.png
Omnikey.png (128.07 KiB) Viewed 16339 times
Sorry for the bad render, I don't have any better way to render PCBs.

Product Info:
The board will be black with ENIG(Gold) pads, with minimal silkscreen in white.

Supports:
  • - Ultra
    - Ultra T
    - Plus
    - As well as all other derivatives/variants
    - Custom sandwhich plate 100% or larger
What is included:
  • - PCB
    - 1N4148 Diodes(optional; 140 quantity)
    - Plate file for all layouts
    - Default QMK layout file and source code
What is Needed:
  • - Teensy++
    - Three 2x5 rectangular LEDs
    - Resistors
    - Switches
    - Case or Omnikey to put in
    - USB cable to route into the case, or if your omnikey has a panel mount PS/2 port then you can use a Mini-B panel mount extension like this https://www.adafruit.com/product/3318
Layouts:
Supported layouts include all original layouts for the omnikeys, and include the option for ANSI or ISO support for enter and shift keys. As well there is the option for the below layouts, matching colors can be swapped and red keys will have to be given up to do so. Default layout is to have as many keys as possible on the PCB at once. There will be an included DXF file for a plate, that contains all switch positions, only thing that needs to be done is delete the cutouts you don't want, and make an outline for the edge of the plate (in file is the PCB footprint).
keyboard-layout.png
keyboard-layout.png (88.33 KiB) Viewed 16339 times
You can cut of the extra function columns on the left hand side, using either a razor saw and cutting down the middle of the plated holes where the silkscreen line is. Or you can score down that line, on both sides, with a sharp blade and snap it off to support boards without the extra function keys.

Pricing:
Note: Prices do not include final shipping or Paypal fees.

PCB:
  • 10 - $47
    15 - $38
    20 - $34
    30 - $29
    40+ - $26
Diodes:
  • 140 for $6
Shipping:
  • Pricing will be done per person, but I just did a test price, expect to pay $10 - $15 for shipping in the US.
Quantity Note:
The above listed quantities are strict, I can only order those exact amounts, so if I get 12 orders, I will have to order either 10 or 15. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have extras laying around, so either people will have to fill those spots, or I will have to order 10, and the last 2 orders will be canceled. This is unfortunate but I am not a retailer and just can't afford to have extras. But if I get 14 orders, then I will order 15, and just keep the last one myself or sell it off. I just want to make sure people know, that I can only order specific quantities. But I will have a live list of how many are on order so it isn't a mystery.

Schedule:
This GB will open on 3/8 at noon central time and close on 3/14 at midnight central time.

Once orders are in, invoices will be sent out for the price point reached, and you will have until 3/21 to pay, if all payments are done before then, then the order will be submitted prior to 3/21

Production will take 2-3 weeks to arrive at my door. From there I will ship them out within 1 to 2 weeks depending on how many PCBs are ordered.

GB Link:
https://goo.gl/forms/HYGqUXKsEhbtfFxs1

Live Order Count:
  • - PCBs on order: 21 We have just hit the second price drop!!!!!!
    - Needed for next price drop: 9
Last edited by BlindAssassin111 on 30 May 2018, 02:49, edited 31 times in total.

BlindAssassin111

15 Feb 2018, 20:59

Update:
Just looked up pricing again, Boards will be under $50 actually...Forgot that the last PCB I did was a 4-layer, and this would only need to be a 2-layer pcb, so pricing is so much lower.

Current estimate: (prices subject to change, may use a different manufacturer)
  • • 10 - $44
    • 15 - $38
    • 20 - $32
    • 30 - $26
    • 40 - $24

Note: Pricing is for the PCB only, I will link the cable needed and you will need to use your original plates as I don't have the time to design a plate that can fit all of these layouts that would actually be useable.

Now that the GB has launched, this information is out of date, please refer to the original post for accurate information.
Last edited by BlindAssassin111 on 08 Mar 2018, 06:11, edited 2 times in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

15 Feb 2018, 23:43

It should support the omnikey plus and omnikey 102s just fine - though the later models of the 102 have the escape key moved up there where SF1 is located on the ultra, while the earlier models of the 102 are like the ultra and have esc where tilde normally is.

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 00:10

Yeah I knew I was forgetting something about the layouts. This is going to be a bit harder than I was initially thinking, haven't seen a Ultra in a while (have an Ultra T) and forgot about the different spacing on the top row.... Oddly enough I thought the Ultra T and Ultra used the same pcb as the Ultra T even has places to put the missing nav keys on the pcb and switch plate, but both top row layouts are not supported on the original pcbs. But it seems to be a super easy layout to run as it isn't complicated or even overlapping.

Support for:
  • • Ultra T
    • Ultra (need to check, hard part is the bottom of the nav cluster being two 1.5u instead of 3 1u, and SF row spacing)
    • Plus (same issue as above minus SF row, but will work)
As well I will need to jump up to the Teensy++ as it is not possible to support the matrix size needed to support these layouts as I will be just over the limit for the Teensy 2.0.

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 00:24

Can anyone send pictures of the connector location for the Ultra, 102, and Plus? Having a hard time finding pictures and want to figure out a way to make this usable with the different connector locations. Which will be a feat in itself.

Ultra T is super easy and can use a panel mount extension, whereas the Ultra I think has a seperate control board that mounts to the case(which means I will have to come up with a solution for that.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Feb 2018, 01:44

Nobody loves Omnikeys more than I do (well, maybe) but for me the 101 is the only way to fly, since it is the only true-ANSI model. If you are making a PCB, if there was any way that you could set it up so that it had switch locations that could accommodate an ANSI Enter, \|, Backspace, and Right Shift, it would open up a lot of "layout-challenged" keyboards to be modded into something that many more people could love.

It is not impossible or even difficult, millions of IBM Model M/Fs attest to that, with internal assemblies that happily accommodate various layouts.

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 01:57

The only reason at the moment I don't support the 101, is due to the smaller board size and having to have cutouts on the larger pcbs so the extra function columns can be broken off. This weakens that area a tad and makes it harder for me to route. When I start designing I will look into what I want to do in regards to the "smaller" boards.

I actually prefer the Ultra T as I love the extra switches and the split right shift is nice, but I would rather have and ansi enter...which I could do once I get this pcb in hand as the big ass enter is the same as an ansi enter as far as switch and stab location, it just replaces the \| key with a post. So this would even allow people to go to an ansi layout on the big ass enter boards.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Feb 2018, 02:14

BlindAssassin111 wrote:
I actually prefer the Ultra T as I love the extra switches and the split right shift is nice,
I too love the left function keys, but hate bigass Enter and split Right Shift even more.

IBM was able to keep all the options open with the M/F boards, if the Ultra could accommodate a standard ANSI Right Shift, Enter, and Backslash, then I would be delighted.

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 02:17

I am pretty sure I can easily do that, I know I can support ansi enter, and backslash, right shift is the only one I need to see to make sure it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Polecat

16 Feb 2018, 06:48

BlindAssassin111 wrote: Yeah I knew I was forgetting something about the layouts. This is going to be a bit harder than I was initially thinking, haven't seen a Ultra in a while (have an Ultra T) and forgot about the different spacing on the top row.... Oddly enough I thought the Ultra T and Ultra used the same pcb as the Ultra T even has places to put the missing nav keys on the pcb and switch plate, but both top row layouts are not supported on the original pcbs. But it seems to be a super easy layout to run as it isn't complicated or even overlapping.

Support for:
  • • Ultra T
    • Ultra (need to check, hard part is the bottom of the nav cluster being two 1.5u instead of 3 1u, and SF row spacing)
    • Plus (same issue as above minus SF row, but will work)
As well I will need to jump up to the Teensy++ as it is not possible to support the matrix size needed to support these layouts as I will be just over the limit for the Teensy 2.0.
Top row spacing is different between Gen2 (small case, dipswitches on the back) and Gen3 (big case, dipswitches under the label). Not sure if a Gen2 PC board will fit a Gen1 case (102 only). And there were oddballs like 101s with BAE and Pluses with the Omni nav keys. Much to consider. I can offer photos or measurements from the 14 Northgates I have here, mostly Gen1 and Gen2.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

16 Feb 2018, 07:02

fohat wrote: Nobody loves Omnikeys more than I do
I'll take that challenge!
fohat wrote: (well, maybe) but for me the 101 is the only way to fly, since it is the only true-ANSI model. If you are making a PCB, if there was any way that you could set it up so that it had switch locations that could accommodate an ANSI Enter, \|, Backspace, and Right Shift, it would open up a lot of "layout-challenged" keyboards to be modded into something that many more people could love.
This would be absolutely AMAZING! I would love to ANSI mod my plus or omnikey 102 - the plates actually accommodate that already, but the PCB doesn't. Making a PCB that would accommodate a different layout for the larger boards would be super cool - i'd buy two or three PCBs!

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 07:17

Polecat wrote: Top row spacing is different between Gen2 (small case, dipswitches on the back) and Gen3 (big case, dipswitches under the label). Not sure if a Gen2 PC board will fit a Gen1 case (102 only). And there were oddballs like 101s with BAE and Pluses with the Omni nav keys. Much to consider. I can offer photos or measurements from the 14 Northgates I have here, mostly Gen1 and Gen2.
Why would a gen2 compatible pcb not fit in a gen1 case? I honestly don't have as extensive experience with the different variations of the omnikey as I only own 1. I would really love to get a bunch of pictures and measurements from you, but will have to think more on what all I need.

First thing I will ask is, can you send a back view(side that faces monitor, in case we have different definitions of back) of the boards you have. I want to see where the connectors are located and the method the connectors are attached to the case. I know the Ultra T uses a panel mount and some use pcb mounted connectors. If you could place text in the pictures saying what generation, specific model and distance from the right hand side of the case to the center of the connector opening(if more than one a distance between the two openings would be nice), I would appreciate it. Also a top down view of the switch mounting plates to see the size and shape, no measurements for that yet.

This is the first hurdle, trying to figure out if I can reasonably make a pcb that can support the connector mounting types and positioning. Otherwise I may need to support a smaller subset of the omnikeys in order to have a board that works.

BlindAssassin111

16 Feb 2018, 07:21

//gainsborough wrote: This would be absolutely AMAZING! I would love to ANSI mod my plus or omnikey 102 - the plates actually accommodate that already, but the PCB doesn't. Making a PCB that would accommodate a different layout for the larger boards would be super cool - i'd buy two or three PCBs!
I will make these ANSI compatible for the enter, backslash and shift. I really want to ansi mod my Ultra T because the BAE tends to stick too much even after a very thorough cleaning and lubing. Plus I like ansi enters more than the BAE.

Polecat

16 Feb 2018, 07:39

BlindAssassin111 wrote:
Polecat wrote: Top row spacing is different between Gen2 (small case, dipswitches on the back) and Gen3 (big case, dipswitches under the label). Not sure if a Gen2 PC board will fit a Gen1 case (102 only). And there were oddballs like 101s with BAE and Pluses with the Omni nav keys. Much to consider. I can offer photos or measurements from the 14 Northgates I have here, mostly Gen1 and Gen2.
Why would a gen2 compatible pcb not fit in a gen1 case? I honestly don't have as extensive experience with the different variations of the omnikey as I only own 1. I would really love to get a bunch of pictures and measurements from you, but will have to think more on what all I need.

First thing I will ask is, can you send a back view(side that faces monitor, in case we have different definitions of back) of the boards you have. I want to see where the connectors are located and the method the connectors are attached to the case. I know the Ultra T uses a panel mount and some use pcb mounted connectors. If you could place text in the pictures saying what generation, specific model and distance from the right hand side of the case to the center of the connector opening(if more than one a distance between the two openings would be nice), I would appreciate it. Also a top down view of the switch mounting plates to see the size and shape, no measurements for that yet.

This is the first hurdle, trying to figure out if I can reasonably make a pcb that can support the connector mounting types and positioning. Otherwise I may need to support a smaller subset of the omnikeys in order to have a board that works.
On the Gen1 Northgates (102 only) the plate mounted to the *top* of the case, and some of the screws went through the PC board, so those holes would be needed for a Gen1 replacement. Gen2 and 3 had the plate mounted to the case bottom at the edges. It's probably possible to make a PC board to fit Gen1 and 2, but it's not a sure thing because of the difference in how they went together. Again the Gen3 top row was higher up, spaced farther away from the other rows than on Gen1/2. (The Gen1/2/3 are my terms, not anything official...)

Some of the Northgates had a second PC board for the connectors and switches, others had a wired connector mounted to the base with screws. Gen1 Northgates had a built-in cord, not detachable. Some Gen2 models had two ADB connectors as well as PS/2. Some late Gen3 (and the Avants) had a built-in cord again. I'll try to be as speciific on the details as I can, but I do not have examples or notes on every version.

I'll be happy to take some photos and measurements this weekend.

Polecat

18 Feb 2018, 21:29

I'm going to post these in four separate replies to keep them grouped by generation. Sorry I don't have a way to put text on the photos unless I dig out my Win95 box, but I can put comments below using the editor here.

This is a Gen1 (gold label) Omnikey 102. Cord is attached, XT/AT switch on the back panel, center of switch 4-3/4" from right side of case. Four screws holding the plate to the case top at the edges, and five screws to the case top going through holes in the PC board.

Case is 20-1/4 by 7-1/4 inches. 1-1/4 inches center to center between top and next row.
Attachments
Gen1, top view.
Gen1, top view.
DSCN0189.JPG (825.4 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
Gen1, bottom view.
Gen1, bottom view.
DSCN0142.JPG (817.1 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
Gen1 switch and cable detail.
DSCN0144.JPG (799.88 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
DSCN0146.JPG (796.59 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
Gen1 PC board, right side detail.
Gen1 PC board, right side detail.
DSCN0149.JPG (799.21 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
Gen1 PC board, left side detail.
Gen1 PC board, left side detail.
DSCN0150.JPG (802.54 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
Gen1 PC board, 5 screws through board to case top, four screws at edges of plate.
Gen1 PC board, 5 screws through board to case top, four screws at edges of plate.
DSCN0151.JPG (821.62 KiB) Viewed 16615 times

Polecat

18 Feb 2018, 21:48

Gen2 Omnikey 102. Detachable cord, dip switches on back edge. Apologies for the dirty keyboard. (...and the bad photos; this is my good camera...)

Plate has four screws at the edges, and two screws holding the plate to the top cover going through holes in the PC board. The PC board has holes for more screws, but no bosses on the cover at those locations. Perhaps there were different case tops?

Connector is on a second PC board along with the dip switches. Only three of eight switches accessible from the outside world. Some Gen2 boards had a different connector board with two ADB connectors plus PS/2 and with all eight dip switches accessible. I'll dig one of those out later if needed; they're buried at the moment. Connector centerline is 8-3/16 inches from right edge of case.

Case size and upper row spacing same as Gen1.
Attachments
Gen2 top view.
Gen2 top view.
DSCN0153.JPG (818.64 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 bottom view.
Gen2 bottom view.
DSCN0155.JPG (812.13 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 connector and dip switch detail
Gen2 connector and dip switch detail
DSCN0157.JPG (814.31 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 connector and dip switch PC board.
Gen2 connector and dip switch PC board.
DSCN0159.JPG (808.33 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 PC board.
Gen2 PC board.
DSCN0161.JPG (802.64 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 PC board detail.
Gen2 PC board detail.
DSCN0162.JPG (799.78 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 PC board detail.
Gen2 PC board detail.
DSCN0163.JPG (809.03 KiB) Viewed 16608 times
Gen2 PC board detail.
Gen2 PC board detail.
DSCN0164.JPG (807.95 KiB) Viewed 16608 times

Polecat

18 Feb 2018, 22:09

Gen3 Omnikey 102. Yep, it needs a bath. Detachable cord, dip switches under label/door on top cover, wired connector plugs into PC board. Plate mounts to base with four screws at edges. Connector centerline is 4-3/4 inches from right edge of case. There are probably more Gen3 Northgates out there than any other version.

Escape key moved to top row. Top row is 1-1/2 inches from second row (wider spacing than Gen1/2). PC board apparently shared with other models as it's labeled "Ultra". Case is bigger than Gen1/2, measures 20-1/2 by 8 inches.
Attachments
Gen3 top.
Gen3 top.
DSCN0166.JPG (797.75 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 bottom.
Gen3 bottom.
DSCN0168.JPG (827 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 connector detail.
Gen3 connector detail.
DSCN0169.JPG (813.75 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 plate detail.
Gen3 plate detail.
DSCN0172.JPG (818.93 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 plate detail.
Gen3 plate detail.
DSCN0173.JPG (834.46 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 connector detail.
Gen3 connector detail.
DSCN0175.JPG (790.59 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 PC board detail.
Gen3 PC board detail.
DSCN0176.JPG (818.33 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 PC board detail.
Gen3 PC board detail.
DSCN0177.JPG (815.29 KiB) Viewed 16606 times
Gen3 PC board.
Gen3 PC board.
DSCN0178.JPG (821.39 KiB) Viewed 16606 times

Polecat

18 Feb 2018, 22:29

Gen4 (Avant Stellar). The programmable Northgates with Windows keys were similar. Note the PC board on this one is labeled "Ultra-T/102/101 PCB" and has a perforated breakaway section to use on a 101/Avant Prime layout. Ignore the ANSIfication and Dolch caps; it didn't come that way originally.

Case and upper row spacing are the same as Gen3. Plate mounts to the base with four screws at the edges. Cable is not detachable; it feeds in through the leg as on a Gen1. Note that Gen2 and Gen3 keyboards have the notches in the leg for a cable, and have the steel base punched so an attached cable could be used on those without modification.

Let me know if more photos or measurements are needed. I also have a small but growing database with more info on the different generations and models.
Attachments
Gen4 top view.
Gen4 top view.
DSCN0179.JPG (812.85 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 bottom side.
Gen4 bottom side.
DSCN0180.JPG (802.8 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 cable detail.
Gen4 cable detail.
DSCN0181.JPG (825.18 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 plate detail.
Gen4 plate detail.
DSCN0183.JPG (809.04 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 plate detail.
Gen4 plate detail.
DSCN0184.JPG (805.46 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 PC board detail.
Gen4 PC board detail.
DSCN0187.JPG (810.88 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
Gen4 PC board detail.
Gen4 PC board detail.
DSCN0188.JPG (809.38 KiB) Viewed 16599 times

Polecat

19 Feb 2018, 00:01

Rereading the earlier replies I have a few comments that might help.

"Ultra T is super easy and can use a panel mount extension, whereas the Ultra I think has a seperate control board that mounts to the case(which means I will have to come up with a solution for that."

This is not a difference between Ultra and Ultra-T; it's a difference between Gen2 and Gen3 Northgates. From what I can tell the Gen2 PC boards differed by model, while the Gen3 PC boards were "universal" (except for the 101). I believe all the models within a given generation used the same connector location.

In the photo I posted of the connector board on Gen2 you can see the locations for the ADB connectors, so that board was probably the same on all the Gen2 models except for the unused parts for the non-ADB version(s).

"I actually prefer the Ultra T as I love the extra switches and the split right shift is nice, but I would rather have and ansi enter...which I could do once I get this pcb in hand as the big ass enter is the same as an ansi enter as far as switch and stab location, it just replaces the \| key with a post. So this would even allow people to go to an ansi layout on the big ass enter boards."

The only issue with the ANSI enter is that the clearance hole for the stem on the BAE *almost* interferes with the pads for a backslash switch mounted there. I did the mod on the Avant, and managed to use part of the ground plane to make pads for the new backslash switch. The plate did not have to be modified for an ANSI enter, but would have to be changed to use a full sized right shift.

To make a PC board to fit the different case generations two sets of switch pads would be needed for the top row, since it's a quarter inch off between Gen1/2 and Gen3/4. Clearance holes would be needed for plate mounting screws on Gen1/2 cases where the plate mounts to the upper case. Pads for the switches would be needed for the different models/layouts, and some way to work with the different connector locations and attached or detachable cables. All of that can be done, of course, it just makes for a bit more of a design challenge.

BlindAssassin111

19 Feb 2018, 00:55

Polecat, Thank you for all of this info. I really appreciate it!!

I will start designing the pcb either the end of this week or the start of next week as I have some other stuff I need to do first. I will definitely need some more help in the future to figure out dimensions.

Just got my new computer to work for the first time in the past month and now I crash before I can even download the drivers, so I have a new problem that I have to solve...

BlindAssassin111

24 Feb 2018, 00:44

Polecat, from your pictures I can see that the set of boards with the top row closer to the alpha cluster, never have an esc key on the top row, just the function keys, correct? I want to check my assumption, as I am trying to figure out how many switches will need to be supported on the PCB.

Are the LEDs all at the same height above the numpad or are there 2 different heights?

And what is the spacing of the Gen1/Gen2 top row to the alpha cluster? I know the later ones have a 1U gap between the top row and alphas, but can't tell if it is 0.5U or 0.75U.

Polecat

24 Feb 2018, 05:14

BlindAssassin111 wrote: Polecat, from your pictures I can see that the set of boards with the top row closer to the alpha cluster, never have an esc key on the top row, just the function keys, correct? I want to check my assumption, as I am trying to figure out how many switches will need to be supported on the PCB.

Are the LEDs all at the same height above the numpad or are there 2 different heights?

And what is the spacing of the Gen1/Gen2 top row to the alpha cluster? I know the later ones have a 1U gap between the top row and alphas, but can't tell if it is 0.5U or 0.75U.
I believe that's correct on the Gen1/Gen2 models having the escape key in the alpha cluster, and the Gen3/Gen4 models having it in the top row. I don't know of any exceptions to that, but I can't prove there are none.

The LEDs moved up with the top row by 1/4 inch on the Gen3/Gen4 boards.

I gave the spacing above in inches, with the Gen1/2 boards measuring 1-1/4 inches center to center between the top row and the upper alpha row, and the Gen3/4 measuring 1-1/2 inches. Putting that in keycap units the Gen3/4 have 1U spacing in that gap. That would make for 2U center to center, with 2U equaling 1-1/2 inches, so that would make the Gen1/2 spacing 1-1/4 divided by 1-1/2 times 2 units, or 1-2/3 units. Subtract 1 unit and you have a space for a 2/3U cap in the gap. Now my head hurts. Pop, fizz, aaaaaahhhhh, that's better.

edit: it would probably be helpful to list the known models for each generation. So far my list shows:

Gen1 - 102
Gen2 - 102, Plus, Ultra, 101I, OmniMacUltra
Gen3 - 102, Ultra, Ultra-T, 101
Gen4 - 102P, Ultra-T, 101P, Avant Prime, Avant Stellar

BlindAssassin111

24 Feb 2018, 05:45

Polecat wrote: 2/3U cap in the gap.
Are you sure it isn't a 0.75U spacing, seems more logical to me than 2/3U spacing. EDIT: Actually now thinking about it 2/3U makes more sense, as it evenly divides the 0.75" per Unit better...Good thing I asked as I would have messed up a part of the board thinking it was 0.75U rather than 0.667U

I have the board mostly laid out for switch locations, and trying to finalize the spacing everywhere to make sure it is correct.

Polecat

24 Feb 2018, 06:25

BlindAssassin111 wrote:
Polecat wrote: 2/3U cap in the gap.
Are you sure it isn't a 0.75U spacing, seems more logical to me than 2/3U spacing. EDIT: Actually now thinking about it 2/3U makes more sense, as it evenly divides the 0.75" per Unit better...Good thing I asked as I would have messed up a part of the board thinking it was 0.75U rather than 0.667U

I have the board mostly laid out for switch locations, and trying to finalize the spacing everywhere to make sure it is correct.
Please double check my thinking. On the Gen3/4 with 1-1/2 inches center to center (with 1U=3/4 inch) that gives 2U center to center. Subtract 1/2U from the upper row and 1/2U from the lower row and you get 1U (3/4 inch) between rows. On the Gen1/2 at 1-1/4 inches center to center, subtracting 2 X 1/2U (3/4 inch) from 1-1/4 inches you get 1/2 inch between rows, or 2/3U. As en engineer who has laid out PC boards in the past I tend to think in inches, and spacings center to center, but naturally the keycap units are important for fitting to the case.

BlindAssassin111

24 Feb 2018, 07:15

I am also an engineer, but I tend to prefer mm, but for keyboards it is a bitch using 19.05mm for spacing, so I have to use inches...

You are correct about the spacing, but I was thinking because keycaps go in increments of 0.25U, the spacing would also follow that, which is true for most boards, this is the first exception I have seen. So it was unexpected, but it does make sense when you think about the spacing in inches instead of units. Center to center makes sense, but for layout it is easier to see a spacing than a center to center measurement when just laying out the blocks. I use both but each one has its' pros and cons.

The switches are laid out now, so I just need the locations of the screw holes in relation to the center of some switch...as the board edge is not going to be a reliable thing to measure from. Just use the same switch for each to make my life easier, or don't...if you hate me, lol.
Switch_Layout.PNG
Switch_Layout.PNG (33.77 KiB) Viewed 16495 times

Hak Foo

25 Feb 2018, 06:37

I could see getting one even though I don't have an Omnikey. Get a plate and sandwich case laser-ut...

BlindAssassin111

25 Feb 2018, 06:55

Okay, PCB is fully laid out minus the LEDs and still need the locations of the screw cutouts to finalize the PCB.

I made it so the left function block can be broken off for smaller boards. I may change how it is done to make it stronger than it currently is. So all variants should be supported.

Does anyone know how QMK/TMK works with LED indicators? Does it ground them out or power them? Need to know so I don't mess it up, I wasn't able to find anything when searching the wiki.

BlindAssassin111

25 Feb 2018, 06:59

Hak Foo wrote: I could see getting one even though I don't have an Omnikey. Get a plate and sandwich case laser-ut...
Yeah I thought about making a plate for this, but it would have to be a specific layout, as alps switches have to have a certain width cutout, so I would have to make a plate for every single possible layout, which is way beyond what I can do right now.

If you want to make your own plate and case, you are welcome to, just let me know what you would need from me.

Hak Foo

25 Feb 2018, 09:10

It might be possible to build a plate using Swill's Plate Builder. If the board can be designed inside keyboard-layou- editor potential users can swap around variations easily and export the layout to Swill's Plate Builder, and end up with files they can send to Big Blue Saw, etc.

The only big deal is knowing the spacing between blocks in key units.

BlindAssassin111

25 Feb 2018, 18:38

Hak Foo wrote: It might be possible to build a plate using Swill's Plate Builder. If the board can be designed inside keyboard-layou- editor potential users can swap around variations easily and export the layout to Swill's Plate Builder, and end up with files they can send to Big Blue Saw, etc.

The only big deal is knowing the spacing between blocks in key units.
Forgot about Skill's builder, I can easily do that then, just give me until the GB opens, and I will have them ready.

Return to “Group buys”