[IC] Minimalistic (hopefully cheap) GMK WoB mod kit

subcat

18 Feb 2018, 23:10

would absolutely snag a set!

ideus

19 Feb 2018, 01:42

I just recalled that I got this last year, I think most of the keys in this upcoming set would be redundant with what I already have.

nafsasp

20 Feb 2018, 02:05

This set really needs a 2.75u right shift. Many of the best ANSI WoB sets come from G81-7000 boards, which have the same layout as 1800. I think providing both short right shift (1.75u) and normal right shift (2.75u) would make the set much more useful for adapting OG sets.

Also, I would like to see a different icon for the 1u winkey, or even blanks for this cap rather than diamonds.

kekstee

20 Feb 2018, 13:54

nafsasp wrote: This set really needs a 2.75u right shift. Many of the best ANSI WoB sets come from G81-7000 boards, which have the same layout as 1800. I think providing both short right shift (1.75u) and normal right shift (2.75u) would make the set much more useful for adapting OG sets.
That's a good point. Would vastly improve compatibility with the TKL crowd.

Also, I would like to see a different icon for the 1u winkey, or even blanks for this cap rather than diamonds.
Nooo, diamond is best :cry: (the last 9009's "Super" looks good as well though)
I thought I would like blank winkeys, but it's actually pretty weird to have those two without legends on a regular board.

scottc

20 Feb 2018, 14:23

2.75 rshift is a really good call.

I'm not really fond of the super legend on a 1U cap... I'll have to think about it. I'll probably poll people on it when I do that.

Khers

20 Feb 2018, 14:30

I have no objection unless "code" or blanks are used.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

20 Feb 2018, 14:34

I like the code legend. I am not a big fan of the 2,75 shift, but I understand why people want it. Personal I want a 1,75u shift, but I think that will not be part of the kit, for obvious reasons.

Khers

20 Feb 2018, 14:34

1.75u shift is part of the kit, see OP.

scottc

20 Feb 2018, 14:36

All-caps CODE is horrible and that's definitely not going to happen. Blanks are ugly too. We can figure it out.

scottc

20 Feb 2018, 20:19

I’ll make a google form to poll this later but before I do, anyone have any more info/recommendations?

This isn’t getting as much interest as I’d hoped, unfortunately, but I’m hoping that we can make up the numbers.

Also: USA working hours bump

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Feb 2018, 14:07

Khers wrote: 1.75u shift is part of the kit, see OP.
Sorry I meant 2,25u left shift.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Feb 2018, 14:08

scottc wrote: I’ll make a google form to poll this later but before I do, anyone have any more info/recommendations?

This isn’t getting as much interest as I’d hoped, unfortunately, but I’m hoping that we can make up the numbers.

Also: USA working hours bump
Have you shared the IC over on Geekhack and Reddit?

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

27 Feb 2018, 10:09

Bump?

scottc

27 Feb 2018, 23:14

No progress here, I've been busy with real life.

I haven't shared the IC on GH and Reddit. I was hoping for something small on DT because I don't have the spare bandwidth in my life to do a proper sale (with PayPal etc and all the footguns that come with that, which is the expectation on GH and Reddit).

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

12 Mar 2018, 17:56

hansichen

12 Mar 2018, 17:58

Sadly this set wouldn't fix the missing/unusable space bars

scottc

12 Mar 2018, 18:33

So per the suggestions in this thread the kit might look something like this:

It's the same as OP except:

- Added a 2.75 shift
- Added optional 65% adapter keys (labelled X1-4, these are not real legends, just for show for now)

I'm going to try to get a quote with and without the 65% keys. Maybe GMK will like it as it's almost enough keys to make it an adapter for the C70.

scottc

12 Mar 2018, 18:56

Another update: Wodan pointed out to me that 1.25 mods might be important. Meh. :( Especially for people who have Cherry MY 7000 caps (with 1u mods).

That leaves us with this.

I'll try quotes with/without all of these extra parts. It's unlikely that we can add all of these because it's a LOT of caps and is probably reaching like ~60$ territory now.

At this point we might as well add a DT cap too, honestly.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Mar 2018, 01:28

Row A?

ideus

13 Mar 2018, 01:36

ramnes wrote: Row A?
It is referred to as A Profile and it is the profile used in old Cherry sets for the bottom row, or row 5 in our more contemporary language. Modern sets use B profile for both, the fourth and the fift rows.

scottc

13 Mar 2018, 11:01

I'm not sure. I'm more leaning towards B-profile so that it fits in better with existing used sets. It drives me crazy when ctrl/alt are A-profile but arrows are B... :?

scottc

12 Apr 2018, 12:06

So for the above we'd be looking at roughly:

21 EUR for the "base" 1.5 mod version.
32 EUR for the 1.5 + 1.25 mod version.
36 EUR for the 1.5 + 1.25 + 65% addon.

What do people think?

(edit: this is the GMK base cost + 19% VAT, not including shipping to me, so real prices would be slightly higher even :()

Khers

12 Apr 2018, 12:23

scottc wrote: So for the above we'd be looking at roughly:

21 EUR for the "base" 1.5 mod version.
32 EUR for the 1.5 + 1.25 mod version.
36 EUR for the 1.5 + 1.25 + 65% addon.

What do people think?

(edit: this is the GMK base cost + 19% VAT, not including shipping to me, so real prices would be slightly higher even :()
For me, personally, I think that the smallest option makes the most sense as it fulfills the intention of the GB about as well as the larger kits, while being cheaper. The larger kits get too expensive for little added benefit. Sure, it might alienate those who use a more modern bottom row, but the question is how many use the more modern bottom row while trying to use a vintage Cherry set (even if it was one which came with 1.25u bottom row mods).

LightningXI

12 Apr 2018, 12:52

Just discovered this. I'd be interested for a set or two.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

scottc

12 Apr 2018, 13:56

I'll try to put a google form up to gauge interest at these prices a bit later. If a vendor feels like picking this up, feel free. :lol:

elth

27 Apr 2018, 05:23

Just stumbled upon this while trying to find a WoB mod set to add a bit of support to an OG 1800 set. Definitely interested.

ideus

27 Apr 2018, 15:22

Any progress yet?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Apr 2018, 18:15

scottc wrote:
I'm not sure. I'm more leaning towards B-profile so that it fits in better with existing used sets. It drives me crazy when ctrl/alt are A-profile but arrows are B... :?
Then simply put row A arrows in. 8-)

LightningXI

27 Apr 2018, 18:30

ramnes wrote:
scottc wrote:
Then simply put row A arrows in. 8-)
I will buy as many compatibility caps as I can, so yes!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

elth

12 May 2018, 22:28

Any updates?

Return to “Group buys”