Alps SKCL Switches (Round 2)

mog_genius88

21 Apr 2018, 03:03

Do you know if this affects the feeling of the switch at all? I.e. if you put an skcl green spring in a yellow are they identical in feel?[/quote]
not a huge difference, no. the sound is different due to the short switchplate though.[/quote]

Thank you for the info!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Apr 2018, 03:05

mog_genius88 wrote: Thank you for the info!
no problem

Chyros

21 Apr 2018, 19:55

I KNEW these were different from my other SKCL yellow.

I got a bunch in, they're pine SKCL, but the colour on them is opaque and light yellow, almost like custard, while the SKCL yellow I already owned are slightly transparent, darker yellow.

I once remarked that something similar seems to be the case between pine and bamboo neon greens, and arguably even between orange and salmon. And now yellow also seems to have this. Interesting...

(new switches on the right)

mog_genius88

21 Apr 2018, 22:55

Chyros wrote: I KNEW these were different from my other SKCL yellow.

I got a bunch in, they're pine SKCL, but the colour on them is opaque and light yellow, almost like custard, while the SKCL yellow I already owned are slightly transparent, darker yellow.

I once remarked that something similar seems to be the case between pine and bamboo neon greens, and arguably even between orange and salmon. And now yellow also seems to have this. Interesting...

(new switches on the right)

Can you give us some more insight in to how the two differ in feel? Also, which do you prefer (the ones you just received or the ones you already had)? Finally, how do these compare to skcl greens (other than the difference in feel caused by spring weight)?

I'm currently on the hunt for NoS skcl greens, but if these Taobao skcl yellows are just as good I'm going to just stick with them. My sister in law ordered some of these and will be delivering them to me some time this summer. Can't wait!

Chyros

22 Apr 2018, 00:01

It's hard to gauge keyfeel off of loose switches alone, but I can't really feel any significant difference between the two tbh.

mog_genius88

22 Apr 2018, 00:19

Chyros wrote: It's hard to gauge keyfeel off of loose switches alone, but I can't really feel any significant difference between the two tbh.
Thanks for the info!

Any luck in finding more information regarding where these creamier colored alps fall in the timeline? It would be interesting if skcm green, salmon, cream, and these yellows were all from the same era.

waldorf120

23 Apr 2018, 18:44

Any chances of a second round buy? Really interested in getting my hands on some of these.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Apr 2018, 19:08

Yes a second round will definitely be happening. The package actually arrived in Boston today and would be delivered today, but it was sent signature-required and I am at work so it will be redelivered tomorrow. I will leave my signature on an official form on the door so no big deal. Since this round will be wrapping up shortly, I'll go ahead and start the IC for round 2, which may take me a few hours to go through my PMs, this thread, etc. and get a table started up. If you are interested in round 2, you can either PM me or leave the details of how many switches you want in the thread and I'll get you added to the table.

waldorf120

23 Apr 2018, 19:10

Thanks! I'm in for exactly 256 switches

ScottPaladin

23 Apr 2018, 20:25

waldorf120 wrote: Thanks! I'm in for exactly 256 switches
16x16? That's gonna be a hell of a keyboard. :lol:

Apotheka

24 Apr 2018, 01:27

I'd be in for at least 170 switches for round 2! I wonder how many NOS switches they have? I hope the supply doesn't run dry before I get my hands on some!

green-squid

24 Apr 2018, 17:22

Wonder if it would be possible to extend the GB to other keyboard stuff on Taobao. There are so many good deals!

But shipping would be a big issue.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Apr 2018, 17:28

green-squid wrote: Wonder if it would be possible to extend the GB to other keyboard stuff on Taobao. There are so many good deals!

I am already a proxy for both Japan and China, the logistics behind running a GB for multiple different items would be extremely difficult. It makes far more sense to simply remain a proxy for one-off items as they are much easier to work with that way.

green-squid

24 Apr 2018, 17:45

Blaise170 wrote:
green-squid wrote: Wonder if it would be possible to extend the GB to other keyboard stuff on Taobao. There are so many good deals!

I am already a proxy for both Japan and China, the logistics behind running a GB for multiple different items would be extremely difficult. It makes far more sense to simply remain a proxy for one-off items as they are much easier to work with that way.
True. I wish it was possible to get deals like the ones on TB in the west.

You can get a 9009HAU there for $77!!!!

https://world.taobao.com/item/100154865 ... 5f51YaJBhl

And even convert it to USB!!

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=20 ... 1b1e8c4cd8

:(

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

25 Apr 2018, 02:53

The baggies must look like drugs on an x-ray, the package was inspected by customs. :lol:

green-squid

25 Apr 2018, 06:37

Nom nom. They look delicious! Can't wait for mine!

Sup

25 Apr 2018, 11:34

I got some old stocks Yellow Alps SKCL and they are the smoothest linear switch i have ever touched in my life. You guys aren't gonna be disappointed.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

25 Apr 2018, 14:54

All switches are sorted, unfortunately I don't have my scale with me at the moment so I can't invoice just yet, but expect to receive your shipping bill tomorrow.

As for a comparison between my SHARP with these and the NOS switches, these do appear to have a creamier tint, though I'm not sure if that is because they were made at different points (perhaps these were made just before the switch to simplified Alps for example) or some other reason. They seem identical to the regular Yellows I have though.

tron

25 Apr 2018, 20:36

Oh man I can't believe I missed this. Would be in for an R2 if you decide to run another group buy.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

25 Apr 2018, 20:45

tron wrote: Oh man I can't believe I missed this. Would be in for an R2 if you decide to run another group buy.
I am preparing for a second round, if interested please leave the amount of switches you'd like and I'll get everyone invoiced (most likely) early next week.

idlethock

25 Apr 2018, 22:44

Would it be the same price as last time (0.32 per switch)? I might go for 200, just to have extras for fun :)

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

26 Apr 2018, 01:07

In the end I would like to have 200 switches so I'll have stock when I come up with new ideas :D

tron

26 Apr 2018, 01:28

Blaise170 wrote:
tron wrote: Oh man I can't believe I missed this. Would be in for an R2 if you decide to run another group buy.
I am preparing for a second round, if interested please leave the amount of switches you'd like and I'll get everyone invoiced (most likely) early next week.
Awesome. Put me down for 140 switches 8-)

Gamuholic

26 Apr 2018, 05:27

Put me down for 250 please.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Apr 2018, 12:16

Blaise170 wrote: The baggies must look like drugs on an x-ray, the package was inspected by customs. :lol:

They do look a bit dodgy like that... :? I'll take 120 switches also plz.

Snappo

26 Apr 2018, 22:33

Hi. Id like to grab 200 of these too.

Taeha Types

26 Apr 2018, 22:46

I AM IN FOR 312 SWITCHES

Engicoder

26 Apr 2018, 23:05

I'll take 200 as well

bujorc

27 Apr 2018, 01:40

Hi, 250 for me, please.