SKB75 / SKB65 / SKB60 - GB CONCLUDED

Menuhin

26 Apr 2019, 17:26

Hope you can take your time for the quality check and packing, so step by step to complete a longer-than-expected but perfectly executed "Made in Germany" Group buy!

PlastikSchnittstelle

01 May 2019, 23:07

UPDATE / Quality Control:

Over the last days I've been digging through the boxes whenever I had time to.

I'm happy with the edges, flanges, overall precision and the anodizing. However I'm not entirely happy with the bead blasting.
There are spots, where the bead blasting does not seem to be applied thoroughly enough to fully erase certain traces in the surface. I'm not sure if these traces which look like mini scratches have something to do with the "Walzrichtung" (not sure of the correct english translation) of the sheet metal or if they maybe stem from when you slide the top sheet from the stack in order to move it. Most of the time the bead blasting makes these traces disappear but there are spots where this is still visible. It is only noticeable in bright light and hard to explain with words, so I made some pictures.

First build is the SKB65. It was done quickly because I could just put in the finished plate+pcb+switch stack from the very first prototype I ever built way back in 2017, shown at the mechanikon from that year. Picture "DSC_0900" and "DSC_0902" are the ones where you can see what I tried to explain:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Second and third builds are both SKB60-YAS. plate+pcb+switch stacks were also already finished, the plates are custom and don't have the black surface treatement, that's why you'll see the shiny steel between the caps. Both layouts are also possible with the YAS plate of course:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Finally some pictures of just a top part, focusing on surface areas that are fine:
LINK TO THE ALBUM

Personally I don't really mind if it is my personal SKB but some of you might feel different about this, so that's why I'm addressing this now. After noticing it the first time this was a little shock to me, but overall I'm very pleased with the result and how all the other details (which had caused so much trouble before) turned out.
Please let me know what you think of this.
Last edited by PlastikSchnittstelle on 03 May 2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

01 May 2019, 23:38

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote:
01 May 2019, 23:07
I'm happy with the edges, flanges, overall precision and the anodizing. However I'm not entirely happy with the bead blasting.
There are spots, where the bead blasting does not seem to be applied thoroughly enough to fully erase certain traces in the surface. I'm not sure if these traces which look like mini scratches have something to do with the "Walzrichtung" (not sure of the correct english translation) of the sheet metal or if they maybe stem from when you slide the top sheet from the stack in order to move it. Most of the time the bead blasting makes these traces disappear but there are spots where this is still visible. It is only noticeable in bright light and hard to explain with words, so I made some pictures.
Are these barely noticeable "trace marks" the thing you're talking about?

huh.png
huh.png (905.59 KiB) Viewed 17331 times

Took me a while to see them and I'm still not sure if this is what you're talking about.

PlastikSchnittstelle

02 May 2019, 00:02

exactly, it is like traces that let you get a hint of a direction. only visible in bright daylight and under a certain angle. this was also a top part where it was more visible than on the others. on others is was more happening on the sides flanges, not the top face side, if at all.

hansichen

02 May 2019, 00:07

Looks fine to me, especially as it's only in one direction due to the "Walzrichtung". It adds to the industrial look, you could think that it's intended to look like this on the pictures.

Anakey

The way i see it the design of the keyboard is meant to be industrial etc where the outside finish is never perfect anyway. To be honest it would add to the character of the boards and make them more industrial then if they were perfect.

depletedvespene

02 May 2019, 00:10

Anakey wrote:
The way i see it the design of the keyboard is meant to be industrial etc where the outside finish is never perfect anyway. To be honest it would add to the character of the boards and make them more industrial then if they were perfect.
Yeah, and considering how many times I've read complaints about "bad ano(dization) jobs" on expensive customs, with clearly visible scratch marks that can be seen even with poorly focused photatos, this seems like a quite, quite minor issue.

Shihatsu

02 May 2019, 08:39

Okay, there is an issue with... what? Where? How? Aka: If my face has to be smashed into it to even witness the "issue" I call it bullshit. Sorry for the language, maybe I am not enough a perfectionist (would maybe different if I were in your position), but I have to give my "#" to all the comments above. Would it be great if it was absolutely perfect? Hell yeah! Do I mind if it is not, if the "not" is as subtle as it is here? Fucking NO!
Honestly, it is up to you, and you alone. If you think it is okay - ship those beauties. If not - we will wait patiently (Nooooooooooo can't wait anymore gieb gieb gieb GIEEEEEEEEEB - scnr, just a joke). I hereby fully trust in you, because the effort and transparency you have shown just demands that kind of trust, imho. Your GB, your call, Sir!
One thing I would like to mention: Can it be done perfectly, anyway? I mean: Did you speak with the factory? Do they know of this "issue"? Maybe it is something that is inherent in the production process and can only be avoided with huge investment of time, money or both? Or was ist just a small mistake on their side? If you decide "Na that's not good enough, I am Plastikschnittstelle FFS!" these wpuld be the questions to ask, imho...

PlastikSchnittstelle

03 May 2019, 12:09

UPDATE, continuing as planned:

OK, I wanted to wait for a good amount of feedback on this. I conclude that I proceed as planned - sorting, packing, shipping!

TBO, anything else would be nuts. I'm at a point where I can hardly justify to put more time and effort into this. Getting into a dispute about the bead blasting with the manufacturer might very well result in some kind of legal battle. So I'm really relieved all of you see it that way.

This weekend and next week I can't dedicate much time, but after that I'll be able to ramp up the effort again :)
Last edited by PlastikSchnittstelle on 03 May 2019, 12:32, edited 3 times in total.

PlastikSchnittstelle

03 May 2019, 12:20

Regarding additional orders:

Some ask if they can still get an SKB case. Like I had mentioned a few times already, "extras" don't mean there is any kind of additional production. I have simply ordered more cases that are currently ordered (a few of each version, more of the popular versions, less of the less popular ones). By "extras" I just refer to the jet unsold amount of SKBs.

So if you want one, please just fill out the order form (linked in the start post) and you'll get an invoice from me in the following days. If the particular version is out, I'll let you know.

My fault that I have to repeat this over and over, I should really put this on top of the GB thread in big bold letters.

Shihatsu

05 May 2019, 11:35

Good news!
While I am waiting I started to prepare things amd have some trouble with my KBD75rev2: Where to get an hex file for QMK? It has to be ISO-DE. though...

depletedvespene

05 May 2019, 14:22

Shihatsu wrote:
Good news!
While I am waiting I started to prepare things amd have some trouble with my KBD75rev2: Where to get an hex file for QMK? It has to be ISO-DE. though...
Remember not to mix the physical layout (ISO) with the national layout (DE) when designing the layout. On https://config.qmk.fm/#/kbdfans/kbd75/rev1/LAYOUT , what shows up on the map as ";:" will be Ö after you select the German national layout on your operating system (or Ñ if you go for either Spanish one, etc.)

FSund

05 May 2019, 14:35

depletedvespene wrote:
05 May 2019, 14:22
Shihatsu wrote:
Good news!
Remember not to mix the physical layout (ISO) with the national layout (DE) when designing the layout. On https://config.qmk.fm/#/kbdfans/kbd75/rev1/LAYOUT , what shows up on the map as ";:" will be Ö after you select the German national layout on your operating system (or Ñ if you go for either Spanish one, etc.)
We're getting well off topic now, but there is actually a "keymap_german.h" in QMK to ease the creation of German keymaps. If you include that you can use DE_PLUS to get the #/' key, instead of having to use KC_RBRC which the key is actually called in QMK.

Here's the file: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blo ... p_german.h

There are similar files for Norwegian, French etc.

Shihatsu

05 May 2019, 14:40

I know of this issue, but I also have read about the trouble when using the configurator, as I have unfortunately rev2. I have read one issue with flashing iso rev1 on rev2: FN will be unbound. No bootloader anymore. Kinda sucks :/ If the configurator would have had an lyout available in ISO for rev2 I would allready have a hex file. Anyway, thanks for the hint! Every help is appreciated, will be my first custom, and I stumble from one problem (where to get krytox... how to lube... clip or not clip stabs... bandaid or not... how to flash my personal second layer on kdb75rev2... how to flash my layer0 on my board... well here I am) - which kinda makes this sort of an adventure, and I take much joy out of it!

depletedvespene

05 May 2019, 14:48

Shihatsu wrote:
05 May 2019, 14:40
I know of this issue, but I also have read about the trouble when using the configurator, as I have unfortunately rev2. I have read one issue with flashing iso rev1 on rev2: FN will be unbound. No bootloader anymore. Kinda sucks :/ If the configurator would have had an lyout available in ISO for rev2 I would allready have a hex file. Anyway, thanks for the hint! Every help is appreciated, will be my first custom, and I stumble from one problem (where to get krytox... how to lube... clip or not clip stabs... bandaid or not... how to flash my personal second layer on kdb75rev2... how to flash my layer0 on my board... well here I am) - which kinda makes this sort of an adventure, and I take much joy out of it!
I have a couple wacky ideas for my 75% layout as well, so the configurator will probably be not enough for what I want. During these weeks, I'm reading up all I can on QMK, so I can then start trying out stuff and see what is the proper way to do everything. I'll be sure to share what I do come up with.

Shihatsu

05 May 2019, 14:53

Aaaaa stop ninjaing my posts you spammers! Love it!
My last reply was ans answer to your post, depletedvespene - I dind not see F Sunds post, sorry for that.
@F Sund: Me beeing a newbie and such, see me asking: Is it bad to go offtopic here? Then I make a topic in the keyboard forum. Did not meant to start a big discussion, but I can see that it is creating one... My plan was to use QMK-Toolbox, not do the full compile nightmare, so I was explicitly asking for a prepared hexfile, as others have used a KBDrev2 with ISO(-DE)...
@depletedvespene: Well, so we are two right now, I guess we need a topic...?

depletedvespene

05 May 2019, 14:59

Shihatsu wrote:
05 May 2019, 14:53
Aaaaa stop ninjaing my posts you spammers! Love it!
My last reply was ans answer to your post, depletedvespene - I dind not see F Sunds post, sorry for that.
@F Sund: Me beeing a newbie and such, see me asking: Is it bad to go offtopic here? Then I make a topic in the keyboard forum. Did not meant to start a big discussion, but I can see that it is creating one... My plan was to use QMK-Toolbox, not do the full compile nightmare, so I was explicitly asking for a prepared hexfile, as others have used a KBDrev2 with ISO(-DE)...
@depletedvespene: Well, so we are two right now, I guess we need a topic...?
I don't see a problem in talking a bit about a PCB that we'll be using on the SKB75 case. Indeed, it should serve as a pointer later on for other people who also participate in this GB and see the same issue. That said, yes, from this point onward we should be talking about the QMK configuration in a new thread.

PlastikSchnittstelle

09 May 2019, 12:04

After I realized that the two original GB threads on reddit are already archived, I made a new post to update the participants over there.
FIY: reddit GB update

PlastikSchnittstelle

09 May 2019, 12:05

UPDATE, address change:
quite a few have contacted me because they moved and have a new address. I don't respond to all of these messages, but of course I'm aware. Before I'll put the shipping lables onto the packages, every single participant will get an email containing your order and address - that will be the last chance to make changes to the address.

PlastikSchnittstelle

28 May 2019, 17:56

UPDATE: packing time!

The last thing missing were the standoffs. They arrived today. Tomorrow I can start packing the accessory bags. Over here you can find some recent, smaller updates.

depletedvespene

28 May 2019, 18:04

YAY!

RealityCavesIn

28 May 2019, 20:24

Sweet!

scl

30 May 2019, 19:02

Hey Plastikschnittstelle, I just updated my order from one skb60std-a and one skb65 to one skb60std-a, one skb65 and one extra plate each. FYI

RealityCavesIn

14 Jul 2019, 12:24

Hi Plastikschnittstelle! Any update on packing and shipping?

PlastikSchnittstelle

18 Jul 2019, 20:26

Emails for address and order confirmation went out. Not all though, I can't send all of them at once. The rest goes out tomorrow and the day after.

PlastikSchnittstelle

26 Jul 2019, 15:03

UPDATE / shipping preparations

I just posted an update on reddit. Like written over there, I've done most of the address updating. Most replies I got were regarding the phone number. When uploading cvs data for shipping I'll run into trouble when the phone numbers include symbols like brackets, spaces or are just generally too long. That's why I tried formatting them by formula, which then resulted in some errors. I think the zeros at the start can generally be left away. Just all addresses at once via cvs will not work anyway, I have to split up per country and further buy amount of items/cases per box. Nothing about this whole thing is simple.

PlastikSchnittstelle

07 Aug 2019, 19:26

UPDATE: WE HAVE ENTERED THE SHIPPING PHASE

Over the last weeks I've done nothing but getting addresses right, uploaded some via csv and enter most manually for deutsche post and dhl shipping. Filling out all the info for customs wasn't done quickly either. After printing, I had to cut all the labels and then tried my best to make sure to attach them all to the right package. I'm pretty sure it's all correct.

Today I brought more than half of the packages to the post office. I think I can do the rest tomorrow.

Maybe still today but probably more tomorrow, I'll enter the tracking numbers into the spreadsheet and send out an automated email again, so everyone of you gets his tracking number.

PlastikSchnittstelle

08 Aug 2019, 20:23

UPDATE: emails with tracking number sent out

Emails containing the tracking number just went out to most of you, some will follow. Please check your inbox and spam.
Regarding the link I provided for tracking, be patient if you have a number starting with "L". The search takes quite a while, but after some time it should present you a result. I forgot to mention this in the email.

PlastikSchnittstelle

09 Aug 2019, 11:44

OK, the first SKBs have already arrived.
Wanted to post instructions regarding the different screw options since quite some time. Wanted to do something fancy with illustrations but never found the time. Now, just text:

You'll find a zip bag in your box. This zip bag contains four smaller zip bags. There are two bags with standoffs, don't mix them! One has 6mm standoffs and 12mm long screws, the other one has 7mm standoffs and 14mm screws. So obviously you'll have to choose how deep you want the plate to be recessed in the case. 6mm standoffs is already deeper than with most other cases, so I assume most of you should be fine with this option. There are also 0,5mm spacers in the bag with the 6mm standoffs so you could make it 6,5mm. Theoretically you could also use these spacers together with the 7mm standoffs in the other bag to get a depth of 7,5mm. The overall recess would then amount to 9,5mm - R3 GMK caps would be completely submerge in the case when pressed down. 12mm screws for 6mm standoffs and 14mm screws for 7mm standoffs, don't mix! Otherwise the screw at the USB position would interfere with the plug. Then there is ab bag with rubber feet, this one also contains 8mm screws, use them to screw together the case top and bottom at the side holes - be warned, this is quite tricky, you don't have that much room for your fingers to hold the nut in place, small pliers will really help you with this build, don't start without a good selection of tools. The fourth bag just contains thick 1mm spacers. You only might need them if you have an SKB60 variant. There is often a bit more space between the flanges of the top and bottom piece and these spacers can cover this. Other versions should go better with the thinner spacers which are included in the bag that also hast the 8mm screws and rubber feet, some SKB75s might not need spacers at all.

Typo

09 Aug 2019, 22:01

Received it today. As expected, very nice result in my opinion. Great job.

A bit of a shame, that I didn't find the time to finish the PCB I'm going to use yet and the keycaps also won't arrive for some weeks, so building it will have to wait a bit.

Return to “Group buys”