IBM Model F - Antistatic Foam Mats - Research

tatsurou

26 May 2018, 18:03

Hello guys.

Just doing a little research.

How big interest would make a dedicated IBM Model F anistatic foam mat (ones over pcb)?
I happen to have an access to proper manufacturing and printing tooling for various purposes and thought of all of us Fs owners.

Could make some for you guys.
Cheers!

raymondse

30 May 2018, 02:11

If you mean the foam between the barrel plate and the individual barrels (ex. Image), I’m in for 3x F107 size.

codemonkeymike

30 May 2018, 02:14

Interesting, is the point of this to prevent bottom out?

BlindAssassin111

30 May 2018, 02:42

I would be interested if the XT is supported...

ibmapc

01 Jun 2018, 03:57

Count me in for one for XT model F.

Greg

ag36

02 Jun 2018, 02:09

I'd love to have two each for XT and AT, just about to restore those in few weeks time.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

02 Jun 2018, 02:12

codemonkeymike wrote: Interesting, is the point of this to prevent bottom out?
I assumed it would be to replace disintegrating foam in old model Fs, right?

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jun 2018, 02:27

//gainsborough wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: Interesting, is the point of this to prevent bottom out?
I assumed it would be to replace disintegrating foam in old model Fs, right?
No, he is showing it on the front side.

BlindAssassin111

02 Jun 2018, 03:08

fohat wrote: No, he is showing it on the front side.
I dont think so...OP said over the PCB(probably meant below the plate) The above picture is from someone else, also saying the foam between the barrels and the plate.

Chyros

02 Jun 2018, 10:21

Should be interesting. I always found it kinda hard to find replacement mats D: .

pyrelink

03 Jun 2018, 00:16

If this is not just a replacement foam and in fact something new, count me interested.

tatsurou

03 Jun 2018, 20:14

I had a try then in making two prototype mats for my own IBM Model F

[EDIT] Mats are intended to replace the usually rotten original board pads. :!:

Each foam is 3 mm thicc (actual - Chyros reference) and I believe it's 1/8 in (imperial).

(as I want to make it diabolically tight, I am gonna sandwich them inside, which means it will be 6mm or 1/4stick of pure foamy thickness).

Feeling might be similar to some gaming mouse pads, quite tough but not impossible to compress :D

Holes made with custom 5/16in hole puncher and then heat treated with a soldering iron to prevent material from tearing (it's not really super easy to tear it, but just wanted to try out different options really, so one mat is plain and the other heated up)

Here is how they turned out. I can produce some quality mats obviously for you guys, cuz now I did not pay attention too much for me.
Only for XT for now :)

Different colours available too :P

Here is how they turned out:

Till 30th of August, postage will be from Aberdeen, UK. Then after that, I will be sending stuff from Chicago, Uncle Sam as I am trying to move my person over there
Last edited by tatsurou on 03 Jun 2018, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

tatsurou

03 Jun 2018, 20:21

Also, in similar fashion, I decided to cover electronic elements on it, but this time they are separated from main mat as I believe the bit which used to stick out from the main thing to cover the rest of the board was both not very well designed or aesthetic imo (latter one way more :P)

chzel

03 Jun 2018, 21:41

If it is indeed antistatic foam, it probably is somewhat conductive, make sure before you short something out!

ag36

04 Jun 2018, 00:49

chzel wrote: If it is indeed antistatic foam, it probably is somewhat conductive, make sure before you short something out!
Made similar mistake modding my minimoog, luckily I didn't fry my $595 optokey module.

Return to “Group buys”