[IC] Paradigm ASK55 - a 14.5u/55% Alps Keyboard w/ Multi-Board Support

pizza_is_a_lie

13 Aug 2018, 01:06

Current status: In development

Latest update: https://paradigm.parts/guidance/ask55/faq/

Share your thoughts below!
Last edited by pizza_is_a_lie on 31 Oct 2018, 14:51, edited 4 times in total.

Nuum

13 Aug 2018, 09:41

Stupid question: Isn't the ASK alpha section 0.5u shorter than a regular 60% keyboard and wouldn't you then have a 0.5u gap, if you just put it into a normal 60% case?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

13 Aug 2018, 15:19

I responded to the reddit post but I’ll link here as well. I did a similar PCB that supports these layouts and a few more. It might be useful in your project.

workshop-f7/alps64-mini-t19077.html

pizza_is_a_lie

13 Aug 2018, 18:37

Nuum wrote: Stupid question: Isn't the ASK alpha section 0.5u shorter than a regular 60% keyboard and wouldn't you then have a 0.5u gap, if you just put it into a normal 60% case?
Absolutely correct, there would be .25u on either side of the board. Options may include developing a 60% plate and PCB which would then see .25u of 'dead space' or spacing the caps further to get rid of the space. The latter, I'm not too keen.

It's early days and there's options; let me know what you think in the IC :mrgreen:

pizza_is_a_lie

13 Aug 2018, 18:37

snacksthecat wrote: I responded to the reddit post but I’ll link here as well. I did a similar PCB that supports these layouts and a few more. It might be useful in your project.

workshop-f7/alps64-mini-t19077.html
I actually replied on Reddit as I checked that first. Feel free to PM me on there or reply, I think we need to talk more! :P

DatOtherJosh

16 Aug 2018, 00:28

I can't wait to have my hand on one! I know it's not a popular opinion but I love the m0116 layout! May I ask what's the earliest date I could get my hands on one?

Findecanor

16 Aug 2018, 01:14

Besides the missing 0.5u in width, the bottom edges of the keycaps follow the gentle curve of the top case.
I am afraid that they would look weird in anything but in a "floating keys" 60% case, and maybe weird in that too.

pizza_is_a_lie

16 Aug 2018, 01:55

Findecanor wrote: Besides the missing 0.5u in width, the bottom edges of the keycaps follow the gentle curve of the top case.
I am afraid that they would look weird in anything but in a "floating keys" 60% case, and maybe weird in that too.
With each passing day, this little project is evolving more and more. This initial interest check has been really useful in gauging people's thoughts and things which I probably hadn't considered myself.

I've been doing some fag packet sketches of cases this evening and I'm talking with other vendors and makers to see what we could make a possibility. One thing's for sure... we will make a new home for M0116 and M0118 keycaps... at the very least 8-)

pizza_is_a_lie

16 Aug 2018, 01:56

DatOtherJosh wrote: I can't wait to have my hand on one! I know it's not a popular opinion but I love the m0116 layout! May I ask what's the earliest date I could get my hands on one?
It's really, really early days and I haven't got any sort of ETA on this yet. I'm still establishing scope and requirements but keep your eyes peeled :mrgreen:

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Aug 2018, 02:02

My original goal with my similar project was to create a custom case made to fit the 14.5u form factor. Is this something you might be considering as well?

pizza_is_a_lie

16 Aug 2018, 02:24

snacksthecat wrote: My original goal with my similar project was to create a custom case made to fit the 14.5u form factor. Is this something you might be considering as well?
I won't be revealing _too much_ just yet, it's really early days. It's an option. I actually PMed you on Reddit btw and added you on Discord :ugeek:

pizza_is_a_lie

19 Aug 2018, 23:01

All, a quick update from me.

As a result of the IC, I began pursuing the option of a 55. Thus, the ASK55 has been born. I’ve been working on plates and bringing together the efforts of folk before me. I’ll update more when I can and I thank you all for your input thus far.

xtreg

20 Aug 2018, 09:07

pizza_is_a_lie wrote:All, a quick update from me.

As a result of the IC, I began pursuing the option of a 55. Thus, the ASK55 has been born. I’ve been working on plates and bringing together the efforts of folk before me. I’ll update more when I can and I thank you all for your input thus far.
Interested.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

pizza_is_a_lie

21 Aug 2018, 00:49

xtreg wrote:

Interested.

Glad to hear! Do you own any of the 14.5u boards? 8-)

xtreg

21 Aug 2018, 01:54

No, but it is easy to get hold of one relativley cheap here in China.
pizza_is_a_lie wrote:
xtreg wrote:

Interested.

Glad to hear! Do you own any of the 14.5u boards? 8-)

pizza_is_a_lie

30 Aug 2018, 21:47

This has evolved ever so slightly…

Check out the update at Paradigm! I’m still eager to hear what people think about a sandwich case. Does anybody want to get involved from a case point-of-view? What’s your experience with FR-4 for plates?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Oct 2018, 16:04

Hey dude, just wanted to see how the project is going. I'm not sure if you check DT so I'll check reddit as well.

pizza_is_a_lie

16 Oct 2018, 18:53

snacksthecat wrote: Hey dude, just wanted to see how the project is going. I'm not sure if you check DT so I'll check reddit as well.
Hey!

So, the case is coming along really nicely. I've seen the initial renders and it's a really suave design. Once Alas has something he would like to share, I'll be on it.

As for me, I'll hopefully draft the two remaining plates this evening or tomorrow evening and get them cut along with the 4 other designs which have been redrafted. Two plates, the Mac Portable and M0116, are signed off.

All plates were revamped to align with new screw holes etc. hence a bit of a delay. Plus, the acrylic cutter which I'm using for prototypes was unavailable for quite some time.

Once the plates are completed, I'll be on to Yiancar for the PCB and issue a new/updated IC on the usual socials (and share as much as I can).

toniwonkanobi

26 Jul 2020, 15:45

Anyone know what's going on with this project? I've tried pinging the guy, but he doesn't respond :/

cods

24 Oct 2020, 23:43

I am very keen for this too - I check his site once a month just to make sure I haven’t missed out. Looks so good, it’d be a shame if it doesn’t go ahead.

cods

21 Mar 2021, 12:03

Nice to see an up front approach - I hope the dude/tte is alright. Hats off for the amazing work so far!

https://paradigm.parts/
Thank you, from Paradigm

I would like to thank you all for your continued interest. Unfortunately, I don’t have the bandwidth to continue with Paradigm.

If you are interested in reviving and owning the ASK55 project, please reach out by email where I would be happy to discuss compensation for development and prototyping (prior to any asset handover).

All development is complete. Yiancar maintains the IP for the PCB. The case and plate files are in my posession, ready to roll

I don’t know the first thing about making something like this work, but if one of you out there does, you can totally count me in x1 at least.

toniwonkanobi

21 Mar 2021, 13:48

That guy is so bad about communication. Multiple people have reached out to him regarding the files, and he never responds. Kind of killed any interest I had.

Return to “Group buys”