30 Oct 2018, 00:56

I'm in for at least one. Thanks.

Beyond_The_End

30 Oct 2018, 05:11

in for 1

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Oct 2018, 16:16

Welp, I've been trying to get something like this ever since kuato offered, so, put me down for two. Good luck!

Bass

01 Nov 2018, 04:08

Got an update for you all. I have 3D printed a few prototypes from the CAD files I was given. The good news is they fit, in spite of it not being the most optimal print!

You can view the whole gallery here:
https://imgur.com/a/TWJeD1q

In case you are wondering, I had a bit more control over the print settings for the white door, so it came out a lot nicer. Unfortunately that printer was too small so I had to scale the model down a bit to get it to print. The fit on the grey one was a bit tighter than the original part, but I am guessing this is most likely due to how rough the print came out more than anything.

I have also noticed that there has been much more interest in this since I disclosed the low price points I was being quoted. Unfortunately it will be probably another week or two before I'll be ready to start the GB, since my grandmother just passed away and I'll be out of town for funeral leave. I also need to confirm the veracity of the price point I was getting with xometry, since I am not sure if it is taking certain factors of the design into account (namely the added complexity of 4 latching tabs). Then again it could be offset by a higher MOQ than I expected because of the renewed interest, so who knows. Based on feedback I'll probably stick with stainless steel since most of us will prefer a heavier part anyways.

Bass

01 Nov 2018, 16:21

I hate to double post so quickly but I have some bad news. xometry finally responded to my query and my worst fears were realized -- the previous quotes I was getting were indeed too good to be true as they did not take the welding requirements into account. This means I'll need to get separate models for the base and the latching tabs, and then get quoted manually. I don't know exactly how much this would increase the cost, but I am guessing it will be at least $20. Very sorry to prematurely get everyone too excited.

codemonkeymike

01 Nov 2018, 21:36

Me me me, I will order one.

Chalba

01 Nov 2018, 22:00

I think if it manages to be < $100 most people will still be interested but I haven't seen the poll.

Bass

02 Nov 2018, 03:59

Yeah, I still expect the unit price to be reasonable, just not as ridiculously cheap at MOQ 30. I should have the new models ready early next week right around when I get back in town. I also want to test the possibility of using only two tabs instead of four, since that could offset the additional cost of welding then on. In theory it should work but I am guessing IBM originally chose four for extra durability. It may be less necessary since metal will provide the extra sturdiness. My plan is to 3D print another prototype with just two tabs for this purpose.

Bass

24 Jan 2019, 01:36

Hi all,

I apologize for the long time between updates. To be honest, real life priorities have consumed most of my time -- namely I have been much busier at work and am also trying to buy a house. The latter in particular has really affected the amount of time and money I can now spend on this hobby, as I need to start saving up for a down payment. In all likelihood this will also mean I'll downsize my collection to just my few absolute favorite boards pretty soon.

Given the circumstances I just feel hesitant about managing a group buy in general, so I think it would be best if someone with more experience in managing group buys as well as a basic understanding of sheet metal fabrication should take over. Ultimately the goal is to create a very niche accessory for a keyboard not a whole lot of people are fortunate enough to own, so perhaps most of you might not care, but I do feel bad for getting everyone's hopes up with the low prices I was being quoted at.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me and I will provide all of the CAD files I have for different versions of the door at no charge. This applies to anyone who might be interested in taking over the group buy or those who are interested in using the files for their personal use. I apologize again and appreciate everyone's understanding.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Jan 2019, 18:00

Another one bites the dust. kuato was trying to do this for a while too...

John Doe

28 Feb 2019, 20:37

Thanks, Bass.
F4B1B229-432A-46F4-83C3-5A9497E69CB9.jpeg
F4B1B229-432A-46F4-83C3-5A9497E69CB9.jpeg (390.71 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Return to “Group buys”