[IC] GMK. WOB & BOW. NORDEUK++ EXT. ADD-ON KIT [UPDATE] GMK RENDER v.1 - 14.03.19

ISO_Returns

16 Mar 2019, 14:28

Hello DT`ers

I have been a lurker on DT for a while.. Coming from GH with a IC for a WoB/BoW - NORDEUK++ ADD-ON kit.

GH IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99190.0

GMK. White-on-Black & Black-on-White. NORDEUK++ EXT. ADD-ON KIT.

BOW ( Black-on-White ) GMK Colors: CR on WS1.

WOB ( White-on-Black ) GMK Colors: WS1 on CR.

Keys in the kit: Supported countries:
  • British
  • Danish
  • Finnish
  • German
  • Norwegian
  • Swedish
  • Island
  • France/Belgium ALPHAS ONLY [A, Z, E, R, T, Y, Q, W.] [Pending]
  • Italian [Maybe]
  • Portuguese [Maybe]

( GMK MINIMAL By the amazing @janglad Render art and GB runner )

Available base sets

WOB
Upcoming base sets

BOW

SURVEY RESULTS

I want to thank all the good people who took there time to the answer the survey. Asked or requested good ideas.
Big thanks to you gents and ladies. Further let me know any remarks in the comments, all inputs are highly welcomed!

These are the updated and most relevant QnA.
  • Q: How many kits would you buy?
  • Q: Would you be interested to see ALT GR 1.25u & 1.50u modifier key include in the kit?
  • A: ADDED TO KIT
  • Q: Is there any other keys you would like to see in this kit?
Highlighted some of the requests here:
( I hope that everyone is fine with me publishing them )
  • Q: some blanks for 40s / ortho compatibility
    A: I dont know if this is the right kit todo so.
  • Q: Windowed stepped caps lock with text not icon and windowed scroll lock
    A: Same as above answer. This is perhaps not the right kit todo so.
  • Q: ISO Portuguese
    A: Pending
  • Q: Maybe a few R1 blanks
  • Q: azerty french
    A: Pending
  • Q: Would also be cool with a couple of blank R4 1u keycaps to mimic a WKL layout without being WKL.
  • Q: R5 1.25u and 1.5u mods!
    A: I dont know if this is the right kit todo so
  • Q: GMK Novelty
    A: I personally like the idea of a novelty. maybe, but keys are are adding up atm. :(
  • Q: Yes, the icelandic keys. Þ, Ð.
    A: Added
  • Q: R3 @ ‘ and R4 | \ for full UK ISO layout
    A: Added
  • Q: italian
    A: Pending/Maybe
  • Q: ISO-ES
    A: Maybe
  • Q: the mass drop kit changed the / for the German divide sign, I would love an extra R1 /. thank you for doing the btw
    A: Pending and thank you! :)

TODO
  • MOQ Details - Pending
  • Quotes - Pending
  • Kit & language renders - Pending
  • Launch GB

UPDATES

V.2
  • THE BOW UPDATE.

I know its properly a long shot to add BOW to the IC/GB.
I wanted to play with the idea of having support for the the two most basic sets in GMK world.
With the current availability we can see with WoB. Stock WoB marks a great new era and interest that have been growing rapidly over the last year.
We could then only hope that BoW would be the next "stock" item. Maybe this add-on kit and GMK Minimal could help push that.

That said and showcased. There is nothing i can say that would make it certainly that BOW would hit GB stage.
As of now please let me know your inputs on BOW.

• GMK RENDERS

OBS. I am aware of some mistakes in the GMK renders. These a prior a update to the kit.
I currently am working all "pending" updates.

If you have any inputs. please do let me know in the comments! :)

V.1

• New BoW Kit Added
  • Added support for Island
  • Added support for ASERTY
  • GMK Renders ( v.1)
  • Survey results
  • Updated available sets list ( Added GMK Minimal & Candykeys BOW DE links )
  • Waiting for language renders
  • Waiting for GMK Quotes
  • Trying to sweet talk Janglad into extending minimal GB

PRIOR UPDATES

• Updated the survey - LINK
  • Added upcoming WOB sets

• Added a Survey - LINK
  • Updated IC "cosmetics"

• IC LAUNCHED

--

I haven't done a GB before. Please let me know if you have any remarks and concerns.
I really hope we can succeeded with this set, for the benefits of most of our EU members.

Best,

ISO

Veggis

18 Mar 2019, 10:13

Posting here as well - I really hope this runs! I just bought a WoB set just for this 😎

ISO_Returns

19 Mar 2019, 15:11

Thanks mate :) It will run! Hopefully start next week-ish. Waiting on the final updates :)

Prelim

19 Mar 2019, 19:19

I'm in if Portuguese caps are included ;) (I think they are just a few)

Zylkan

19 Mar 2019, 20:25

Prelim wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 19:19
I'm in if Portuguese caps are included ;) (I think they are just a few)
I second that. In if pt caps included !

depletedvespene

19 Mar 2019, 20:59

I say we let the Germanic languages live in the NORDEUK kit, and make a new one for the romance languages. FRESLAPTIT (French, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Latin America), Portuguese and Italian) could be a thing.

Or, y'know, we could dump French and Italian and move Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan speakers to a unified Iberoamerican layout.

Prelim

19 Mar 2019, 22:24

unfortunately there's a no go @depletedvespene, since by no chance you will get enough people only for those latin languages (MOQ 150).

I also think that France/Belgium (alphas only) doesn't make any sense in this GB, since it won't be complete addon anyway.

depletedvespene

19 Mar 2019, 22:30

Prelim wrote:
unfortunately there's a no go @depletedvespene, since by no chance you will get enough people only for those latin languages (MOQ 150).
Let us band together! Among 650-ish million people in the world, could we not be able to gather 150 individuals? Who is with me?! :P
Prelim wrote:
I also think that France/Belgium (alphas only) doesn't make any sense in this GB, since it won't be complete addon anyway.
I actually agree on that.

yobinad
\m/

19 Mar 2019, 22:45

You have my approval if Portuguese is included :D

Prelim

20 Mar 2019, 00:06

depletedvespene wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 22:30
Let us band together! Among 650-ish million people in the world, could we not be able to gather 150 individuals? Who is with me?! :P
I also want to believe that, but from my experience there aren't many latin user active in the community to support that... we have tried in the past with no success.

ideus

20 Mar 2019, 03:56

I write and speak Spanish and French, besides English and I used US International and I use Finish/Swedish International currently for writing in all of them. I have not tried it yet; but I am sure you can use either one with minor software adjustments to write in Portuguese. While hoping for a Portuguese add-on may be fun, it does not seem feasible.

How many keys should be added that impact the overall kit's pricing?
How many additional orders may the set get if Portuguese compatibility is added?

Prelim

20 Mar 2019, 12:04

like I said, just a few caps are needed:

as for how many orders it's impossible to say, you also don't know of many orders will be made for Danish, Finnish or Icelandic for instance (relatively few communities).

Myoth

20 Mar 2019, 12:06

Why only the alphas for AZERTY ? :mrgreen:

Prelim

20 Mar 2019, 12:14

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ideus

20 Mar 2019, 14:29

8 keys only for Portuguese? Does any other language share those caps?

depletedvespene

20 Mar 2019, 14:33

ideus wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 14:29
8 keys only for Portuguese? Does any other language share those caps?
The Spanish (Spain) layout shares three of those keys in the same row ( Ç // +* // '? ) and one more in a different row ( ºª ).

Prelim

20 Mar 2019, 16:36

I'm afraid ISO-ES does only have 1 cap in common with ISO-PT (yellow), so it needs even more caps :/

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 00:55

What you guys want SP or PT layouts for, when you can use FIN-Int or US-Int?

Personally I really cannot use SP layouts, either Spain or LatAm based. The symbols are just at awful positions and any typing for TEX, Java or C is just a pain in the ass. My main grief against SP layout is that dead keys are mixed with regular keys making any acute, grave, tilde and dieresis accented characters very hard to use. Besides no other language use the ¿¡ characters, that by the way are located under the regular corresponding ending symbols when FIN or US international are used.

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2019, 01:03

ideus wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 00:55
What you guys want SP or PT layouts for, when you can use FIN-Int or US-Int?

Personally I really cannot use SP layouts, either Spain or LatAm based. The symbols are just at awful positions and any typing for TEX, Java or C is just a pain in the ass. My main grief against SP layout is that dead keys are mixed with regular keys making any acute, grave, tilde and dieresis accented characters very hard to use. Besides no other language use the ¿¡ characters, that by the way are located under the regular corresponding ending symbols when FIN or US international are used.
I don't know about FIN-int, but the US-int layout sucks badly (even for regular programming usage).

As per symbol placement, I'll happily admit that ES-ES isn't very good, but ES-419 (Spanish (Latin America)) is quite better, especially when it comes to programming. That is why I used it for long decades (until...).

As per the ¿ and ¡ symbols... shame on the rest of the languages for not adopting them!!! :mrgreen: (but yeah, the placement of the FOUR related symbols could be improved on both Spanish layouts; the ES-ES layout was evidently adapted from the German one and some changes wereN'T made that should have been).

Finally, I have to wonder what your reaction will be when I make the post around here about the Iberoamerican layout. :D

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2019, 01:05

And, lest I forget, it is precisely the easy availability of diacritics on dead keys what makes the Spanish and Portuguese layouts in general, quite easier to use to, you know, write words and whatnot (YMMV).

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 02:44

To each its own experience. SP in any variation sucks, US-Int does too. So far, I have found SO-FI layout to be the best of all to write multilanguages. It has all the diacritics on two fully dead keys, not disperse everywhere, that is the best ever possible solution for those weird, non ANSI characters, that we have in Romance languages.

I found SO/FI layout by mistake, but now I would not change back to US-Int ever. That is why I wanted this Norde kit badly. I just hope that the OP does not cut the required SO/FI tertiary legends for the sake of cost savings. Any way, I am using a couple OG Cherry Sets that are still decent.

You may try the SO/FI layout, it is pretty close to SP and has all the symbols you may need. I even take advantage of three key positions re-purposing them for navigation keys.

Zylkan

21 Mar 2019, 13:14

ideus wrote:
To each its own experience. SP in any variation sucks, US-Int does too. So far, I have found SO-FI layout to be the best of all to write multilanguages. It has all the diacritics on two fully dead keys, not disperse everywhere, that is the best ever possible solution for those weird, non ANSI characters, that we have in Romance languages.

I found SO/FI layout by mistake, but now I would not change back to US-Int ever. That is why I wanted this Norde kit badly. I just hope that the OP does not cut the required SO/FI tertiary legends for the sake of cost savings. Any way, I am using a couple OG Cherry Sets that are still decent.

You may try the SO/FI layout, it is pretty close to SP and has all the symbols you may need. I even take advantage of three key positions re-purposing them for navigation keys.
I appreciate your passion for the subject and I understand your arguments but each has his/her own preferences and habits. It's nearly impossible to achieve a complete set in a less used layout even with the help of these GBs due to MOQ but it won't stop me from at least trying

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2019, 13:34

ideus wrote:
If by SO/FI you mean the Finnish Multilingual layout... if you like it, then good for you — I seriously dislike it, as it tries to encompass too much into a single layout (a sin I was guilty of in my earlier layouts, I have to admit) AND comes off as disorderly (a sin I am most definitely not guilty of): considering ONLY the stuff that was added (meaning that hideous preexisting placements, like {[]} in AltGr-7,8,9,0 have to remain untouched), it's baffling, for example, that Æ would be placed under Ä instead of A, given that Œ is under O, not under Ö... while Ə is under A (although under W would have been way better); the quotation marks are placed all over with little in the way of logic; × is under X (ok) but ÷ is nowhere to be found. (?); I could go on — but I WILL say that placing the ¡ and ¿ symbols on AltGr-1 and AltGr-+ is a good choice, in the understanding that they are meant only for occasional use.

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 14:25

Zylkan wrote:
ideus wrote:

I appreciate your passion for the subject and I understand your arguments but each has his/her own preferences and habits. It's nearly impossible to achieve a complete set in a less used layout even with the help of these GBs due to MOQ but it won't stop me from at least trying
As an individual trying to get what you want is understandable. As a group, I'd say that asking many to pay for it is not.

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 14:27

depletedvespene wrote:
ideus wrote:
If by SO/FI you mean the Finnish Multilingual layout... if you like it, then good for you — I seriously dislike it, as it tries to encompass too much into a single layout (a sin I was guilty of in my earlier layouts, I have to admit) AND comes off as disorderly (a sin I am most definitely not guilty of): considering ONLY the stuff that was added (meaning that hideous preexisting placements, like {[]} in AltGr-7,8,9,0 have to remain untouched), it's baffling, for example, that Æ would be placed under Ä instead of A, given that Œ is under O, not under Ö... while Ə is under A (although under W would have been way better); the quotation marks are placed all over with little in the way of logic; × is under X (ok) but ÷ is nowhere to be found. (?); I could go on — but I WILL say that placing the ¡ and ¿ symbols on AltGr-1 and AltGr-+ is a good choice, in the understanding that they are meant only for occasional use.
The nice part of programmable MKs is that each may have a customized layout. Now, the point is if everybody in the GB should pay for keys that very few will use.

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2019, 14:43

ideus wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
ideus wrote:
The nice part of programmable MKs is that each may have a customized layout. Now, the point is if everybody in the GB should pay for keys that very few will use.
Indeed, and that's why (ideally) non-common sets should be split into small add-on kits; this is already done with, say, the 40% and the split spacebars (and we're starting to see this with the numpads). NORDEUK remains, for now, a necessary aggregation that even like that does not always reach MOQ, and LAPTES and BEFRIT are just dreams. For that matter, if there were more buyers, 65%/75% kits could be a thing, making it unnecessary to have repeats of almost all HUDE keys and some others in the core one (etc).

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 14:54

depletedvespene wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 14:43
ideus wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:

Indeed, and that's why (ideally) non-common sets should be split into small add-on kits; this is already done with, say, the 40% and the split spacebars (and we're starting to see this with the numpads). NORDEUK remains, for now, a necessary aggregation that even like that does not always reach MOQ, and LAPTES and BEFRIT are just dreams. For that matter, if there were more buyers, 65%/75% kits could be a thing, making it unnecessary to have repeats of almost all HUDE keys and some others in the core one (etc).
Right. Actually a split space bar kit in black would rock.

Zylkan

21 Mar 2019, 17:58

ideus wrote:
Zylkan wrote:
ideus wrote:

As an individual trying to get what you want is understandable. As a group, I'd say that asking many to pay for it is not.
Why not? Don't I do it too every time I get in a GB that doesn't fully suits my needs ? I'm not forced to it, I chose to.
This is an IC ffs. People show their interest. If there's enough it goes ahead. If not, it's dropped.
It's not rocket science

ideus

21 Mar 2019, 20:33

Zylkan wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 17:58
ideus wrote:
Zylkan wrote:

Why not? Don't I do it too every time I get in a GB that doesn't fully suits my needs ? I'm not forced to it, I chose to.
This is an IC ffs. People show their interest. If there's enough it goes ahead. If not, it's dropped.
It's not rocket science
Sure, go for it. Let's see what would be the final coverage and pricing.

Prelim

21 Mar 2019, 23:35

@@

Return to “Group buys”