[IC] GMK R4 Cherry OG 1.75u "Shift" Key (Icon Mod) - possibly with 1u "Fn" key

jani80k

18 Dec 2019, 08:47

Dear friends,

after "Missing keys" has made MoQ and will be shipped out to vendors latest beginning of Feb 2020, I would like to raise another IC to the community.

Many people have contacted me that "Missing Keys" was too big of a set and they only needed the short right shift which is so difficult to come by. Others would have liked to see 2 short right shift keys instead of one in the kit of "Missing Keys".

So without further ado, I hereby present to you the GB for just that short right shift (and possibly a complementary fn key).

IC Form here.

First Option:
shift.png
shift.png (19.21 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Second Option:
shift_fn.png
shift_fn.png (26.94 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
In case you are wondering what this short shift is good for?
It is an extremely cheap way to make good use of ABS doubleshot keycaps from an OG keyboard on a 60% or HHKB Layout (using the uparrow as Fn key). With the additional Fn key, it would even allow to build 65% and 75% (because the uparrow is used otherwise and you need an additional R4 key to the right of it).

Just to be clear. This IC is for ONE (1) key or possibly TWO (2) keys.
You must have this to benefit from it.

Vendors:
EU: mykeyboard.eu
US: cannonkeys.com
Asia: tbd

Price: Don't know exactly, yet. But very low :)

Timeline: ASAP

Muirium
µ

18 Dec 2019, 12:24

"Missing keys" is much too big. And split right Shift (though something I forever advocate) is much too small.

What this particular Goldilocks really needs (rather than wistfully wants) is a modern bottom row. Just that.

jani80k

20 Dec 2019, 13:59

Muirium wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 12:24
"Missing keys" is much too big. And split right Shift (though something I forever advocate) is much too small.

What this particular Goldilocks really needs (rather than wistfully wants) is a modern bottom row. Just that.
Missing keys was basically the delta between a German OG keyboards and a modern GMK basekit.

jani80k

31 Dec 2019, 09:55

I am stopping this IC for now. There is by far not enough interest.

This shows that missing keys was not the worst idea.

Example: One group wants the bottom row, another group wants the short shift and a third group wants OG Icon mods. Each group is too small to make MoQ. They combine their kits and "buy each others keys" that way (so to speak) in order to make MoQ.

Yes, Missing Keys was big, but it needed to be in order to make MoQ.

Return to “Group buys”