Recreate Cherry G81-3077(TKL)

mode1ace

11 Sep 2021, 22:17

I don't understand losing any sleep over it, as a a buyer it's not your risk. I highly doubt NCR gives a crap about small runs of keyboard replicas commissioned and sold from china. It'd be quite futile to try and enforce their trademark, just search taobao for some popular trademarks and you'll find endless fakes.

It's harmless, it's a fun repro and they'll absolutely get away with it.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Sep 2021, 16:23

mode1ace wrote:
I don't understand losing any sleep over it, as a a buyer it's not your risk. […]
It is definitely your risk if you import (that's what you do when you buy from a foreign country not party to a common market scheme your country belongs to) electrical devices showing fake security labels. At least the German customs (that's what I hinted at in a previous post) in their random inspections will check the various numbers and know they are fake.
Attracting their attention with a "radioactivty" stamp is, let me put it that way, not a very smart move :lol:

And of course they will hold you accountable and not a distant Chinese seller they can't nab anyway.

mode1ace

13 Sep 2021, 17:03

kbdfr wrote:
mode1ace wrote:
I don't understand losing any sleep over it, as a a buyer it's not your risk. […]
It is definitely your risk if you import (that's what you do when you buy from a foreign country not party to a common market scheme your country belongs to) electrical devices showing fake security labels. At least the German customs (that's what I hinted at in a previous post) in their random inspections will check the various numbers and know they are fake.
Attracting their attention with a "radioactivty" stamp is, let me put it that way, not a very smart move :lol:

And of course they will hold you accountable and not a distant Chinese seller they can't nab anyway.

This is the most german response ever. Ya’ll just love obeying the rules.

Nobody is going to legally ruin you for importing a novelty knockoff keyboard case. If they did it’d be a gross misuse of resources.

raoulduke-esq

13 Sep 2021, 17:32

Nothing would upset a German customs officer more than a stamp that nicht in ordnung ist - not discovering weapons or a shipping container full of immigrants - nothing. At the same time, nothing would give that officer the same pleasure as actually discovering the phony stamp and the subsequent filing of the appropriate paperwork.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Sep 2021, 18:27

mode1ace wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:03
kbdfr wrote:
mode1ace wrote:

This is the most german response ever. Ya’ll just love obeying the rules.[…]
Sorry to disappoint you: I’m actually French. You know, the folks who chose to guillotine their king and queen instead of obeying them :lol:
This being settled, any substantive arguments?

mode1ace

14 Sep 2021, 07:44

Not really after an argument over such a petty issue, if you want to be anxious about labelling enforcement that's up to you, don't import one.

I still think you radically overestimate the degree to which customs agents give a crap about the small stuff.

soyuz

23 Sep 2021, 13:33

got mine today. the copyright infringement is my favourite part.

ntv242ver2

29 Sep 2021, 17:00

Anyone know how to remap this keyboard? I can't find anything on zfrontier link, and VIA can't detect this keyboard

jiujiu

24 Aug 2022, 09:54

Menuhin wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 16:06
jiujiu wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 05:16
Hello guys!
I'm jiujiu from China.I love keyboard.
We have used Injection Mold recreate G81-3077(TKL).You can choose Hotswap-PCB or Solder-PCB.We made carbon-fiber plate.
I hope you will love it.
Spoiler:
We sold it on Alibaba and ZFrontier.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=642454318563
https://www.zfrontier.com/app/mch/1g8WLMYkdNrl

I love retro keyboards,so I reopened the mold and recreated the classic keyboard.At present, this keyboard is in stock.It means that you don't have to wait to deliver your order.Taobao is Alibaba.I don't know if you can access Taobao link,If you can, you can choose the transshipment address at the time of purchase.Some users from outside China, Hong Kong and Taiwan participated in group buying.They chose the transshipment address for delivery.So I think it should be feasible.
Finally, we are preparing Round 2.New colors,Bluetooth-PCB,Optimized injection molding process details.I hope you like it as much as I do.Thank you for your attention.

OK,Some people say that the NCR metal mark is not like the original.I added two pictures,including NCR metal label and back sticker.

I don't want to say anything. Show some pictures!
I like this TKL although it's a copycat of Cherry keyboard's profile - but please understand this is not really a G81-3077 copy.
Basically, I like TKL >> the boring full size keyboard layout of the G81-3077.
I think you deserve to have your own brand especially with your investment on an injection mold to create such a beautiful object. Somehow you do not dare to create your own brand and chose to "steal the thunder" of Cherry and NCR. I won't say it's cowardly, but it's almost like that.

For the layout, I agree with a post above that the NCS (numlock, caplock, scroll lock) indicators are sort of an obsolete legacy.
Plus: it doesn't make too much sense to have a numlock indicator when the keyboard has no numpad.
I suggest that the location to feature again the missing 3 keys, potentially like these with indicator light windows.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=575782473168
I have some of these at home too, and I think the print screen key is still used quite often for some.

Seeing this gimmicky label makes me do a face palm... As mentioned above, labeling a product with a certain stamp has a meaning to it, and in this case, some legal meaning; similarly, I believe, e.g. in China one cannot label a product as tested and safe for the use by children if it is indeed not the case - right?
There are indeed ways to create cool looking labels with meaningful legit content - my lenovo Thinkpad and its accessories also have labels attached to them, though not all of them cool looking.
Please consider doing that.

It was your decision to infringe the trademark of NCR
There are ways to work around it. Some people rename their copycats product from "Prada" to "Prado"
There is the small Korean custom keyboard manufacturer TX who created some of their keyboards with inscription of "NCS" and it's also functional as labels indicators
Spoiler:
You may well leave the logo area blank, and send with the kit a set of silver letter labels (anodized metal pieces or stickers) and let themselves choose to put on the 3 letters they want, e.g. they may put on CNR, NCS, RNS, NEC, NBC or DEU instead of NCR.

For me, I hope the above can change in the future revisions.
Plus, like the another 2 above, I also hope to build a keyboard like this with some Alps switches.

Good luck with your sale!
hello,sorry,my reply is too late. we have our brand named RyeWorks,You're absolutely righ.For nameplates and stickers, it is wrong for us to simply and rudely copy them.Our plan is to sell on overseas platforms with brand-new nameplates and stickers.If you have a good idea, you can tell me.I have always wanted to contact the official personnel of massdrop.However, all the emails I sent to their mailboxes were answered by robots.Now I also start to talk about keycaps. You can see my other posts.If you have friends who can contact the official staff of massdrop, please help me. My email is xyj569435903@163.com.I hope to hear from you.

Return to “Group buys”