Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

PeterQuines

12 Aug 2021, 02:45

Ellipse wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 21:08
Regarding the wait list, more than half the 300 spots are currently taken, just a few days after the project was announced (though some attrition is to be expected, allowing for a wait list and a possible future round).
Are there spots still available for the 104 or 87 key layouts, or was the 104 reservation I just submitted in vane? :(

Regardless, this looks like an amazing project! Glad to see you are continuing to bring amazing projects to the community!

darkcruix

12 Aug 2021, 10:37

Johnbo wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 01:25
depletedvespene wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 00:29
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW. It's
Spoiler:
ANSI.
Oh you don't want ANSI? No problem.
Spoiler:
unholy.jpg
Beautiful ... just calculating the 16 x 8 matrix of the standard xwhatsit ... 128 keys ... time to get a 32 x 8 xwhatsit built.

gnarlsagan

12 Aug 2021, 23:22

Re: the case, basically having the keys inset just a bit rather than floating would make the case look much less spartan. Currently, the case looks more like an afterthought, rather than something designed with purpose or a design goal.

I'm a huge beam spring fan (they're the greatest switches ever made), but I'm going to wait this project out until these switches can be put on something even just slightly more aesthetically pleasing (or literally anything besides floating keycaps). I would also pay more for color options. Obviously there is a crazy amount of interest regardless, and I'm still super excited that this project even exists, so this is just my two cents.

Pete

13 Aug 2021, 02:14

I really like the case. It looks like it could be utilised as a module that inserts into a variety of larger custom cases.

If the entire case itself was viewed as a module then maybe a smaller, even more minimalist version could be shipped?

Gurbsordidity

13 Aug 2021, 06:05

Forty-fifth! \o/

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

13 Aug 2021, 11:39

Pete wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 02:14
I really like the case. It looks like it could be utilised as a module that inserts into a variety of larger custom cases.

If the entire case itself was viewed as a module then maybe a smaller, even more minimalist version could be shipped?
I had a similar thought. The case is basically like the internal assembly of the IBM beam spring boards:

I wonder what a version of Ellipse's case made from tempered steel would look like :)

tentator

13 Aug 2021, 12:42

OMG! I totaly NEED it! :D

tent:wq

Johnbo

13 Aug 2021, 18:50

The switch feel is, by far, the most important factor for me, and I'll be super happy to use it no matter what the case looks like. Still though, I think it'd be cool to have it in a case that's at least inspired by the original design.

Here's a quick little mockup for kicks and giggles. I brought the original image in as a reference image and made the original base shape exactly that size so that it fits the "small footprint" criteria, then added a few little tweaks. I raised the back end a little to give it the iconic wedge shape, and just rounded the front and back, and of course made it beige.
beamspring_case_idea_1.png
beamspring_case_idea_1.png (571.88 KiB) Viewed 34398 times
Edit: I just realized that my big bevels on the front and back cut into the top plate area (as opposed to extruding out and adding the rounded part. Even so, I think the idea comes across even if the bottom bezel would be slightly larger in practice.
Last edited by Johnbo on 14 Aug 2021, 20:40, edited 3 times in total.

raoulduke-esq

13 Aug 2021, 18:52

Johnbo wrote:
Sexy AF. 10/10 would use.

goofy9x

13 Aug 2021, 19:58

Johnbo wrote:

This, please! @Ellipse

Will this MT3 set alone be enough for the forthcoming full layout beamspring?
https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Matt3o-Keyc ... B081DDDK4H

Or should I get a base and numpad set from Drop:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-devtty ... gecarousel

depletedvespene

13 Aug 2021, 20:18

goofy9x wrote:
No. The picture you posted is for a "1800" form factor, which is a bit smaller than a proper full-size proper form factor (i.e., the Enhanced layout).

See the differences between those two form factors (plus others) in http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Just-ho ... -Refer-to/ .

The massdrop page's base kit is fine for a TKL, and with the numpad you'll cover the numpad, with a few keys to spare (as these kinds of kits are wont to do).

Johnbo

13 Aug 2021, 20:30

It should work, it advertises 1800, but it comes with enough extra keys for most full size board layouts, including, but not limited to, 1800.

I have the same set and it will definitely be going on my beamspring board.

Although I should note it only comes with one sized spacebar, so hopefully it's the same size as the one on Ellipse's board. But there are other spacebar kits for that set if needed.

v.equals.c.rhino

13 Aug 2021, 21:01

Johnbo wrote:
The switch feel is, by far, the most important factor for me, and I'll be super happy to use it no matter what the case looks like. Still though, I think it'd be cool to have it in a case that's at least inspired by the original design.

Here's a quick little mockup for kicks and giggles. I brought the original image in as a reference image and made the original base shape exactly that size so that it fits the "small footprint" criteria, then added a few little tweaks. I raised the back end a little to give it the iconic wedge shape, and just rounded the front and back, and of course made it beige.

Edit: I just realized that my big bevels on the front and back cut into the top plate area (as opposed to extuding out and adding the rounded part. Even so, I think the idea comes across even if the bottom bevel would be slightly larger in practice.
I like this. Looks like a Pingmaster case!

goofy9x

13 Aug 2021, 21:10

Johnbo wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 20:30
It should work, it advertises 1800, but it comes with enough extra keys for most full size board layouts, including, but not limited to, 1800.

I have the same set and it will definitely be going on my beamspring board.

Although I should note it only comes with one sized spacebar, so hopefully it's the same size as the one on Ellipse's board. But there are other spacebar kits for that set if needed.

Thank you.
Base on the picture above, I assume that we will have seven 1,25u mod keys and one
6,25u spacebar on the bottom row. So I think in that case that spacebar from 1800 set will fit. Ellipse, may you give us the final word for this instance?
depletedvespene wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 20:18

goofy9x wrote:

No. The picture you posted is for a "1800" form factor, which is a bit smaller than a proper full-size proper form factor (i.e., the Enhanced layout).

See the differences between those two form factors (plus others) in http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Just-ho ... -Refer-to/ .

The massdrop page's base kit is fine for a TKL, and with the numpad you'll cover the numpad, with a few keys to spare (as these kinds of kits are wont to do).
Thanks for the link.
I see that they have some more R4 keys at the bottom of the image. So this may fit the full layout, no?

depletedvespene

13 Aug 2021, 21:42

goofy9x wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 21:10

Thanks for the link.
I see that they have some more R4 keys at the bottom of the image. So this may fit the full layout, no?
Based on the image on amazon and the form factor of a full-size with a "modern" bottom row (3×1.25 mods, 6.25U space bar, 4×1.25mods) for Ellipse's keyboard (as seen on his picture), I want to reiterate my no, but I have to eat my words. :oops: I missed the extra keys in the bottom of the image which, indeed, fully cover a full-size layout as well as a 1800 layout (which begs the question of why call it "1800"). The kit would fall short ONLY for a "tsangan" bottom row (1.5/1/1.5 / 7 / 1.5/1/1.5), missing two 1.5U keys, two 1U keys and the 7U space bar.

gnarlsagan

14 Aug 2021, 02:21

Johnbo wrote:

Edit: I just realized that my big bevels on the front and back cut into the top plate area (as opposed to extruding out and adding the rounded part. Even so, I think the idea comes across even if the bottom bevel would be slightly larger in practice.
This is a very very good mock-up. What a nice homage to the original while keeping it simple.
Having keys inset like on the attached photo (ie not floating) would seal the deal for me.
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 5.19.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 5.19.13 PM.png (606.07 KiB) Viewed 34191 times

John Doe

14 Aug 2021, 12:59

raoulduke-esq wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 21:44
It looks great to have a space between!!
IMG_0796 copy.jpg
By the way, I'm getting loving the three little spacebars design, no need to move fingers much after remapped bspc, spc, ent from left to right, especially when bunch coding or pure typing. :lol:

PRIPARA_PLAYER

14 Aug 2021, 13:33

John Doe wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:
IMG_0796 copy.jpg
By the way, I'm getting loving the three little spacebars design, no need to move fingers much after remapped bspc, spc, ent from left to right, especially when bunch coding or pure typing. :lol:
This is why i love it too, even though I do make use of the Japanese keys I remap them to be further out. Would love it if there was enough demand to get that layout with this keyboard.

depletedvespene

14 Aug 2021, 15:54

John Doe wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:
IMG_0796 copy.jpg
It'd be, were they not poorly placed. :cry: (YMMV)

If it were for me, if the space bar were to be split, I'd divide the 7U space bar into two 2.75U bars plus a 1.5U extra key. The first two would be centered over the alphanumeric keys (not the entire alphanumeric block, which is different), and thus would allow an easy choice for left-handed and right-handed people over which of the two to use as the space bar and which to use as something else (Backspace, Tab, AltGr, etc.). The JIS keyboards, as they typically come, provide four keys in that space, neither of which (again, YMMV) comes off as comfortable to be used as the space bar proper.

John Doe

14 Aug 2021, 16:50

depletedvespene wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 15:54
John Doe wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:
IMG_0796 copy.jpg
It'd be, were they not poorly placed. :cry: (YMMV)

If it were for me, if the space bar were to be split, I'd divide the 7U space bar into two 2.75U bars plus a 1.5U extra key. The first two would be centered over the alphanumeric keys (not the entire alphanumeric block, which is different), and thus would allow an easy choice for left-handed and right-handed people over which of the two to use as the space bar and which to use as something else (Backspace, Tab, AltGr, etc.). The JIS keyboards, as they typically come, provide four keys in that space, neither of which (again, YMMV) comes off as comfortable to be used as the space bar proper.
Splitting 7u spacebar to four keys is too many as no need to use the extra one for me. I either dont have a strict attitude towards the positions of the three spit little bars, but as daily driving, 2u + 2*2.5u keys with their positions already make me feel happy alot, should be close to your taste.
875D69CA-6B89-4EFC-9004-DDD5C8916506.jpeg
875D69CA-6B89-4EFC-9004-DDD5C8916506.jpeg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 34034 times

depletedvespene

14 Aug 2021, 17:06

John Doe wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 16:50

Splitting 7u spacebar to four keys is too many as no need to use the extra one for me. I either dont have a strict attitude towards the positions of the three spit little bars, but as daily driving, 2u + 2*2.5u keys with their positions already make me feel happy alot, should be close to your taste.
What's maddening about JIS keyboards is that the sizes of the four keys that share the position of the space bar are not standardized at all. You'll easily find all kinds of sizes and proportions, even within the same product line (compare a "full-size" 5576 with a "battleship" 5576, for example). If nothing else, that ought to be addressed.

Then again, I'm firmly on the camp of "the entire bottom row needs redesigning, for everyone" (AltGr should be separated into its two constituents, mods should always be on both sides, and several other factors as well). Ah, to be able to step into a time machine and have this accumulated issues vanish into thin air... :mrgreen:

crypto836

14 Aug 2021, 19:14

A pen holder on the case would be cool

nickg

16 Aug 2021, 18:31

Yikes most gone already. Glad I got my two ssk in early.

Pete

16 Aug 2021, 18:39

nickg wrote:
16 Aug 2021, 18:31
Yikes most gone already. Glad I got my two ssk in early.
Where can you see how many have been ordered?

Ellipse

16 Aug 2021, 19:28

Thanks for the feedback so far on the project including the labels and potential 122 layouts.

PeterQuines more than 2/3 of the spots are gone already. So far the SSK has about 6 more requests than the 104, so they're about even which is good as I ordered 150 of each model. Due to attrition and some spots with notes requesting to be in the second round for various reasons, the reservations will certainly not stop at 300 so everyone can still sign up for either model.

gnarlsagan and others who are thinking about joining the next round please do add your feedback by filling out the form (if you haven't done so already) so I can keep everything organized.

handyman

16 Aug 2021, 20:20

Just curious here - what's the approximate actuation force/distance for these new switches?

The couple force curves of unknown accuracy I've been able to find put the vintage switches at a pretty light 45-ish cN with a fairly long by modern standards actuation distance of about 2.7mm. No idea if these numbers are at all accurate or representative of the vintage switches.

tiltowait

16 Aug 2021, 21:14

handyman wrote:
16 Aug 2021, 20:20
Just curious here - what's the approximate actuation force/distance for these new switches?

The couple force curves of unknown accuracy I've been able to find put the vintage switches at a pretty light 45-ish cN with a fairly long by modern standards actuation distance of about 2.7mm. No idea if these numbers are at all accurate or representative of the vintage switches.
The switches on my Displaywriter are about 55g.

Pete

20 Aug 2021, 01:29

Would this project be pushed further into 2022 if there are delays with the Model F project?

wobbled

20 Aug 2021, 12:48

Do we get confirmation that we got our orders in on time?

Ellipse

20 Aug 2021, 18:40

So far about 250 of the 300 beam spring spots have already been reserved, though as noted before there will be some attrition and some who signed up with the expectation of joining the expected next round, so the reservations won't stop at 300. By signing up now you are reserving a spot for either the first or the next round (please specify in your reservation).

Pete yes, the Model F project needs to go out first. Currently I expect the Model F project to wrap up over the coming months of this year and into early next year, and then the beam springs can ship. Of course this is not counting the final round of the Model F which hasn't started yet (the beam springs go out before the F final round).

wobbled you should be fine as long as you saw the screen that says submitted or thanks for your submission, after submitting.

handyman I don't know this information but the parts are specified to and travel to the same distance as the original switches so they should be very similar. I have found that the new production beam spring actuation force is adjustable to some degree as noted before, so if you want the force a little higher or lower it is likely going to be possible (will post a video at some point). However as noted before this project is not an exact reproduction so no one should expect the same experience as on an IBM original; the new beam spring modules have much tighter tolerances so there will be less side to side wobbling of the keys like on old typewriters, for example. Also all of the metal parts like the fly plates are brand new and have not had decades to wear down like with the originals, so there will be some break-in most definitely, just like with the new Model F keyboards.
Last edited by Ellipse on 21 Aug 2021, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group buys”