Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

RaoulRod

18 Sep 2022, 21:04

I like the non 3278 104, and I would love a non numpad 87 key version as well!

RaoulRod

18 Sep 2022, 21:07

The reason I like the non-numpad version is it would fit better on some of my desk setups :)

Meowmaritus

19 Sep 2022, 22:59

My requests regarding cases based on some criticisms I had of the model F project:
  1. Please don't sink the keys slightly down like on the new model F where the case forms tiny little walls to the left and right of (and in-between especially) each cluster of keys it gets in the way of how I like to feel where the edges of the clusters are to find keys on the edges like Ctrl or Backspace
  2. Please make the keyboard propped up at a slight angle by default without needing feet like basically every IBM keyboard comes with an angle by default. Having to raise the bottom of the new model F up off the table to get to a pretty standard Model M angle, and having to go even further to get to a Model-M-with-feet-extended angle, makes it feel less stable but more importantly it makes it look kind of dumb having a huge empty chasm underneath the board.
  3. I know it's a big ask but could you please look into making thick steel flip out feet (with rubber grips preferably)? Not only would it of course be very genuinely useful it would look badass too ;) Curious of what other people think of the possibility of having feet
As for the layouts, I'm very happy with the offering of 104-key layout. Just give me that layout with default mapping (no Fn or layers or anything) out of the box and I'll be all set for the next 30 years :geek:

Meowmaritus

19 Sep 2022, 23:21

Ellipse wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 00:31
The non-3278 style looks 100 times better in my opinion. I do have a suggestion for an additional """"slim"""" (if you can call it that :lol: ) case design that I think could look nice: Take the non-3278 style there, shorten the back bezel so that it's the same size as the front bezel, and make the back rounded more like the front is. Hopefully you get what I mean with just an explanation in writing.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that you could mount the controller vertically if that would otherwise get in the way of shortening the back bezel

Ellipse

20 Sep 2022, 01:14

While I plan on keeping the original dimensional case proportions where possible for the main project case to keep some of its historical style, the advantage of welded cases is that there is no mold cost, just a tooling cost, so low volume cases with different radii are possible if those interested cover the tooling costs. I imagine more designs will be possible with the beam springs as the designs are conducive to welding whereas the F case designs are not.

In terms of the height adjustable or pop out feet everyone please feel free to look around on alibaba for the type of feet that might be beneficial.

I wonder if someone makes a rotatable drop in foot assembly that can be pulled out. A cut out hole can be made in the bottom of the beam case to allow this part. I can't find any pop out foot candidates.

Examples of adjustable rubber/metal leveling feet:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 76170.html
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 26885.html

Edit - here are some foldable feet that might be useful: viewtopic.php?p=507626#p507626

Scarpia

01 Oct 2022, 20:12

The non-3278 case is just how I expected/hoped a modern beamer would look! To me that’s more important that the layout!

wcass

04 Oct 2022, 03:28

i'm surprised that no one suggested "unsaver + numpad" to address the 8x16 controller limitation. sure, you would be paying for two cases and controllers, but it also (a) make folks that might prefer an unsaver happy, and (2) would allow folks to mix it up (F unsaver + beam tenkey), and (iii) allow someone to "dip a tow" into beam goodness without making a huge commitment.

i suspect that a 5x4 key beam cluster would be a great seller.
or even a 2x3 cluster (arrow keys plus two?).

another thought; 80/20 for "industrial" beam case.
This is pretty much the same height as a beam switch.
run that along the "long" sides of the case and bolt flat plates to the sides. top and bottom plates bolt directly to this. then recess the switch assembly into a desk. That would be luxury.

Ellipse

04 Oct 2022, 03:41

Yes, I like the idea of a macropad/num pad with a small number of switches arranged ortholinearly. Everyone please do reply here and note your feedback in the Google form if you'd like this. Given its low volumes though and still requiring the controller, PCB, case, inner assembly, etc. I can't imagine it costing much less though, maybe a couple hundred in savings would be my guess.

Rico is working on an updated RP2040-based controller that should allow 2 additional columns, so there will not be the same limitation in the future.

wcass

04 Oct 2022, 23:40

for beamspring, could put the controller directly on the pad card.

PRIPARA_PLAYER

08 Oct 2022, 05:23

I think I'd be pretty interested in picking up two macro pads and trying to use them like a split keyboard, as long as they have 20 keys minimum (probably 30 would be ideal for attempting that)

DerChaot

09 Oct 2022, 23:25

I for one like the 3278 "posterior section" but prefer the round front of the non-3278. So maybe a mix would be nice.
Bigger is better is my motto.
ISO compatibility would also be nice.

thefarside

10 Oct 2022, 01:19

Nice beam spring reproduction switch review from chyros:
https://youtu.be/VR_Uiw83y3k

Bjerrk

10 Oct 2022, 07:15

thefarside wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 01:19
Nice beam spring reproduction switch review from chyros:
https://youtu.be/VR_Uiw83y3k
Nice non-review, you mean ;)

Claybie

12 Oct 2022, 00:46

I would really love a navless/Model F layout option.

I made an account just to weigh in on this thread; such exciting work!

Ellipse

02 Nov 2022, 17:19

For round 2 I'm thinking Beam 104, SSK, 122, and 62 (60% F62 layout style) to start with, based on interest levels received so far. ISO and ANSI models, and with HHKB style split right shift as a beam 62 exclusive option.

We are close to opening up orders for beam round 1 - I am 99% through the backlog and have mailed over 3990 new Model F keyboards so far out of about 4040 ordered.

Ellipse

05 Nov 2022, 06:08

Sharing an important update here as it relates to the beam spring project:

Major project updates:

The 4000th new Model F keyboard shipped this week! 4036 keyboards have shipped in total.

Backlog is done: I have completely caught up with the backlog! All outstanding orders comprising the backlog have shipped, not counting 27 orders on hold due to various reasons: 17 orders-partially paid, 3-waiting for them to reply, and 7-other reasons that prevent me from shipping the order).

All F62/F77 keyboards and accessories are in stock, with the exception of 1.75 stepped keys which will be sublimated this month (I ordered blank keys from Unicomp and mailed them to the factory doing the sublimation). This "all in stock" is a major change in the project, as opposed to the previous "made to order" nature of the project. I'm hoping that all current and future orders can ship in 1-2 weeks, and likely sooner, but don't hold me to this as anything could happen.

Over the coming week I hope to prepare a beam spring video / higher quality sound test and create the product pages and maybe take some additional photos, so please look out for an email if you signed the beam spring interest form posted earlier (and reposted in the past week or so). The in-stock beam spring keyboards will be reserved and quantity limited with priority to those who signed up the earliest. Those who signed up will also have the option to order the second round beam spring keyboard, whose design is now finalized into the modified 3101 style. Some time after, orders will open up to those who did not sign the interest form.

Recently I located a nice PBT double shot MX set with the key tops partially sunken, similar but not a match to the IBM originals. I believe these to be one of the closest matches out there. I hope to receive these beam spring key set samples later this month and then I will post photos and likely order them. The molds are already produced but the color scheme for the project has not been produced - they are custom making the key colors for this project. The PBT double shot key set options will be:
(1) all black color keys with white legends, or
(2) black modifier keys with white legends and all other keys will be white with black legends

While the factory does not have double shot molds for the international language keys, they do offer ISO Enter, short left shift, and a few dozen additional keys beyond the standard 104, which I expect to offer as well, so the tradeoff of using a modified ISO layout with some "incorrect" keys may be worth it to some international layout users to be able to use these new keys. (As a note, the factory whose double shot sample keys were pictured in the beam spring product photos has not been responsive so I have been looking at these other factories).

To keep things simple and to help cover the costs of these custom made keys which have a high minimum order quantity, the round 1 keyboard cost will include $10 (US) and $15 (international) for separate shipping of the round 1 key sets, whether you order a set or not. No more trying to collect separate payments and holding off on orders like years ago for early Model F orders - everything in stock will be shipping out to everyone without waiting for keys to arrive.

Scarpia

07 Nov 2022, 09:34

This is getting real - and with the updated design I’m going to need to have a serious conversation with my wallet.

So I’ll ask two things…

1. What will be the approximate price for those who sign up now / in the next few weeks?
2. Any ideas on what the production times will be for the round 2 boards?

Ellipse

08 Nov 2022, 03:09

Well the first round finished production months ago and is already in hand so it is definitely happening :)

I'm hoping to get the tooling completed but it will take some more months before round 2 finishes production. If you'd prefer to use a keyboard in the coming months, or you prefer the modern style design over the far heavier and bigger classic style of the forthcoming round 2, I definitely recommend round 1 if you have signed up early enough to be offered a spot.

The needed tooling is for the updated cases (will be made by CNC/laser cutting/bending process, not with a die cast mold, so there will not be extra months. New molds are currently in production for the beam plastic parts as noted before, to adjust them slightly to accommodate the presence of inner foam between the top of the beam modules and just below the top inner assembly, just like the originals. The molds are estimated to take about 6-8 weeks, starting from a few weeks ago. The foam had a definite dampening effect on the sound and made it a little closer to the originals. Due to these adjustments I would not recommend buying round 1 in order to move the modules to the round 2 case as the part of the module inside the inner assembly will not be taller but the part that sticks out on top will be about 1mm taller, so as to better lock in with the increased height needed due to the foam.

Meme_Screen

10 Nov 2022, 00:28

I actually like the 3278 style, but am also fine with the non-3278 style. I'm also interested in the 122-key layout, and macropad/num pad arranged ortholinearly or even an ortho split variant. I'm a fan of Battle Ships but also ortho layouts. I like almost all keyboards form-factors over 40%.

I would like to request that some thought be put into into where a solenoid and or beeper could be mounted in the case though.

Claybie

15 Nov 2022, 17:55

These updates are very exciting! A style like the 3101 is just what I was hoping for.

If I am interested in a round 2 board, is signing the interest form at this point a good idea or is that closed now?

Ellipse

15 Nov 2022, 23:54

Please do sign the interest form - it is for both round 1 and round 2.

Confirmed there will be holes in the bottom case to allow mounting of both the solenoid and solenoid driver, as well as holes for 4 bumpers with screws.

registrationisbroken

21 Nov 2022, 21:25

I'm late to the party, but here are my preferences nonetheless. And thank you for putting all your time into these projects, Joe.

1) Non-3128 case is less ugly (calling it "prettier" would be a stretch). Maybe with a pencil edge, like on the repro Model F cases you made? Then the siblings would match. :)

2) More keys is more better. The only thing I dislike about my F77 is the lack of a dedicated function row, and the weird escape/~ conundrum forced upon us by the HHKB/M110 apologists.
My dream is 104 ANSI + split right shift.
My dreamier is a slightly wider 104-ish layout with all the space cadet modifiers crammed in.
My dreamiest is the JIS layout with the extra modifiers and short spacebar (or even the Nicola one with split spacebar).

3) Pretty case colours. <3 Bright red, electric blue, hot pink, etc. My F77 in red is beautiful, but even brighter would be wonderful.

4) Please no default increase in the angle—as flat as the Model Fs would be great. (Flip-out or screw-in feet are fine, of course.)

Edit: 5) Agree with Meowmaritus's point 1 about the edge between clusters. A little lower would be nice. For reference, to me my Model F AT is perfect in that regard.

Ellipse

06 Dec 2022, 04:16

Update - beam spring orders opening up this week and shipping this month!

The new factory's MX PBT double shot keycap samples arrived and they look great. I expect to order them soon and maybe they will be ready next month. So as to get the first round beam spring keyboards going, I will be accepting orders starting soon, likely in the next couple days. I will be sending emails out to those who signed up the earliest; they will have a limited order window before I send out the next group of emails on the interest form. To ensure a fair distribution of keyboards, everyone has a strict limit to only order the round 1 keyboards they specified they would order, but of course they can choose to give up their spot or to order the second round keyboard this week. There is no restriction on ordering round 2 keyboards.

To honor the spherical keycaps of the original IBM beam spring keyboards, these PBT double shot caps are not spherical but I would describe them as a little sunken on the top, as a good compromise between the spherical and non-spherical design. See the last photo below for a good look at the design. As a note, due to the way their molds are set up with ISO Enter being in the mold of non-modifier keys, the sets containing white keycaps will likely include a white ISO Enter key, with the option to purchase the black ISO Enter key for a few dollars, because I will need to pull out the ISO Enter keys from the all-black key cap sets to accommodate half the sets without them. Since less than half of the black and white key cap orders are expected to order the black ISO Enter, there should not be a shortage of black ISO enter keys.

I am not sure if there is an easy technical way to only accept orders from those I send out the first wave announcement email to, but please only order if you receive this forthcoming email. I will be checking the email addresses against the distribution list of email addresses.

So as to allow a one-stop order process for everyone interested in either round, orders for both rounds will be opened so the early sign ups have a choice to be in the first round or to be one of the earliest to receive the second round. There are no restrictions on second round keyboard orders.

The keyboards will ship right away, first come first served, with the keycaps and LED overlays to ship separately when they are ready.

In the interest of full disclosure the below keycap photos have had their colors altered to reflect the expected black keys and white keys option (black modifier keycaps with white text, and white keys with black text for the other keys). The other option will be all black keys and white text. The reason is that the factory is custom making the requested colors just for this project and no other customers had requested this before, so our specified colors were not available as a sample. The bottom row towards the left side has a few extra samples not part of the key set (Z A W 8 3).

registrationisbroken thanks for your feedback. Here are my replies:
1. Yep we are going with the non-3278 style case. The design has been finalized and the factory is producing prototypes at this stage for B62, BSSK, B104, and B122.

2. I am open to additional options but you would need to get others on board (!) to help you split the tooling costs. It may cost over $1000 for each design in lower quantities because the tooling costs per unit are far lower when they are spread out among hundreds of keyboards of a particular design.

3. Yep the same colors are expected with the compact F cases including beige, industrial gray, black, red, light blue, and dark blue.

4. There is a slight angle to the case, but this time there are 4 holes in the bottom so you can set the keyboard to have front tilt or back tilt. The good thing is it should not be difficult to fabricate your own case designs and just drop in the inner assembly, while there is still going to be the option to make your own beam spring designs and order just the modules.
2022-12-05_21-28-31.jpg
2022-12-05_21-28-31.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 8855 times
2022-12-05_21-43-58.jpg
2022-12-05_21-43-58.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8855 times
2022-12-05_21-44-22.jpg
2022-12-05_21-44-22.jpg (726.83 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
2022-12-05_21-44-28.jpg
2022-12-05_21-44-28.jpg (663.27 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
2022-12-05_21-44-37.jpg
2022-12-05_21-44-37.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8855 times
2022-12-05_21-44-54.jpg
2022-12-05_21-44-54.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 8855 times

thefarside

06 Dec 2022, 05:21

The keys look great! Forgive me as I know it was probably described in a previous page, but what are the differences between the round one and two versions? Are there any differences been the switches or is it just the case?

If someone orders a round one, will that come with the case, PCB and switches only with keys shipping separately?

Ellipse

06 Dec 2022, 07:02

thefarside please do check out my update posts from previous pages in this project thread to see the differences. The design of both the case and other components are different between round 1 and 2 - too many things to note once more.

Here are my draft notes on what's included in round 1:

Included in each keyboard order:
1 Ultra Compact Style Beam Spring Keyboard with black powdercoated aluminum case and countersunk T8 screws
1 First Aid Kit at no extra cost (4 spare modules, fully assembled)
1 Set of MX plate mount stabilizers
1 foam packaging and box as pictured
2 extra beam springs
1 Flyplate/flipper reattachment tool (a Model F space bar stabilizer wire cut in half!)
1 USB-C cable
1 set of 4 square bumpers/feet

Needed tools: Torx T8 screwdriver

Available to order - the overlays and keys will ship separately:

Black ISO Enter keycap with white text

LED overlay. The LED overlay is recommended (keep dust out) but optional. The beam spring LEDs are close to the top of the case so they can be seen clearly from various angles. Use the LED overlay to identify each LED (standard Num/Caps/Scroll, from left to right). You can use a higher resistor value to make the LEDs dimmer and a lower resistor value to make them brighter. 2.2k is the factory default.

xwhatsit Model F controller - the same exact Model F controller is actually used for this beam spring project
spare custom-made USB-C cables
Additional bumpers. Only adhesive bumpers will work with the round 1 boards as there are no bumper holes on the bottom
Solenoid note - the compact round 1 case will not accommodate the solenoid (not tall enough), so if you order a solenoid you would have to mount it externally or use a smaller solenoid like this one from Sparkfun, which is compatible with the xwhatsit solenoid driver: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

Choice of 2 MX-compatible PBT double shot key sets - refer to the photos to see the included keys:
Choice 1: black modifier keycaps with white text, and the rest of the keys white keycaps with black text
Choice 2: all black keycaps with white text

vometia
irritant

06 Dec 2022, 16:55

Blimey, seems I missed some interesting stuff during my latest absence! I need to have one of these, if I can figure out how. Last beam-spring I used was from a Twinax thing (er... 5251? I forget the computer it was connected to, which was bloody awful, but the keyboard was awesome, albeit with much the same bizarre layout the PC was inspired by) which was 35 years ago but it left enough of an impression.

Johnbo

06 Dec 2022, 17:43

Exciting! I can't wait to see the B122 design

Ellipse

06 Dec 2022, 19:05

Here are some photos of the molds currently under production. The last two photos are from this week, while the other photos were from about a month ago. Molds for these keyboard projects have usually taken 1-2 months before they can start producing samples - the first samples are expected to be made later this month. Then the samples need to be evaluated and approved, or the mold needs to be adjusted to produce parts to the required tolerances.
2022 11 11 new mold photos additional keys and beam (4) - Copy.jpg
2022 11 11 new mold photos additional keys and beam (4) - Copy.jpg (234.23 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
2022 11 11 new mold photos additional keys and beam (1) - Copy.jpg
2022 11 11 new mold photos additional keys and beam (1) - Copy.jpg (145.95 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
2022 12 04 beam molds in progress (2).jpg
2022 12 04 beam molds in progress (2).jpg (163.41 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
2022 12 04 beam molds in progress (1).jpg
2022 12 04 beam molds in progress (1).jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 8698 times

Ellipse

10 Dec 2022, 08:11

Here are the first photos of the sample keys installed on the Round 1 keyboard! A typing test video will be posted in the coming days. As noted in the prior post, the colors have been edited (please see the prior post of key photos for details).
2022-12-10_00-48-56.jpg
2022-12-10_00-48-56.jpg (555.37 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-49-11.jpg
2022-12-10_00-49-11.jpg (499.71 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-50-05.jpg
2022-12-10_00-50-05.jpg (425.68 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-50-17.jpg
2022-12-10_00-50-17.jpg (461.96 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-50-36.jpg
2022-12-10_00-50-36.jpg (507.57 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-50-56.jpg
2022-12-10_00-50-56.jpg (512.57 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-51-20.jpg
2022-12-10_00-51-20.jpg (526.9 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
2022-12-10_00-51-55.jpg
2022-12-10_00-51-55.jpg (591.71 KiB) Viewed 8345 times

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2022, 16:39

Ellipse wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 08:11
Here are the first photos of the sample keys installed on the Round 1 keyboard!
Sure those aren’t renders? Renders are to photos as AI chat bots are to Stack Overflow answers from people whose code actually works. A worthy distinction. ;)

Return to “Group buys”