Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

PeterQuines

03 Jan 2023, 19:40

t8c wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 09:59
Agreed, especially with a 1.5u 1u 1.5u bottom row and 7u spacebar.
registrationisbroken wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 21:25
The only thing I dislike about my F77 is the lack of a dedicated function row, and the weird escape/~ conundrum forced upon us by the HHKB/M110 apologists.
BuGless wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 08:01
For me, in order of decreasing preference:
a. Exact layout like new Model F77, ANSI with split right shift.
b. Exact layout like new Model F77, ANSI.
c. As (a) but with Escape key and F1-F12 above.
d. As (c) but without split right shift.
arcanius wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 08:57
And I say this wishing it were an F77 with a function row.
nickg wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 16:06
And well basically any chance of am hhkb/f77 layout beamspring? Be still my wallet.
Scarpia wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 10:13
Holy crap Ellipse! I thought my F77 was the ultimate endgame board and then you go and do this?!!?
ironicmoustache wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 07:36
after this F77 but looks like I was... very wrong.
Are any of y'all still interested in a F77 style layout (plus function row) for a round 2 keyboard? Basically the same as the round 2 BSSK but a larger cutout where the nav cluster is so you can fit in an F77 numoad.

PeterQuines

03 Jan 2023, 19:44

Edited: see later post.
Last edited by PeterQuines on 04 Jan 2023, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

ngnx

04 Jan 2023, 02:31

I just ordered a B122 and I'm thinking about how to get keycaps. I did include the keycap set in the order, though only one. I realize now I need more keys, probably. Not sure if the second set can be added?

Also while double shot is nice I prefer dye sublimation.

I like the /dev/tty MT3 keycap set by matt3o. I have it on one of my keyboards and it was inspired by beamsprings to begin with.
Would it work on this one, given the description states there might be issues with custom MX sets?
Also, what about the MT3 profile, will it "work" properly on the beamspring? Model Fs are pre-curved for example so they don't need sculpted profiles. I think this keyboard is "flat"?

PeterQuines

04 Jan 2023, 20:18

ngnx wrote:
Also, what about the MT3 profile, will it "work" properly on the beamspring? Model Fs are pre-curved for example so they don't need sculpted profiles. I think this keyboard is "flat"?
Looking at the photos Ellipse has posted, the beamspring does not have a curved board like the F/Ms, and the case is tilted in a way that should make the MT3 profile work well.

PeterQuines

04 Jan 2023, 20:38

Update: spoke to Ellipse and both BSSK and 104 sized round two keyboards with F77 style nav/numpad can be made with a doable tooling cost.

This will give you a 3x5 cluster of keys where the nav cluster currently is to put macros, media keys, a numpad with arrows on the BSSK, etc.

Please PM me this week/weekend if you are interested in one of these boards. Any amount you can chip for tooling cost will help.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

04 Jan 2023, 22:30

ngnx wrote:
I just ordered a B122 and I'm thinking about how to get keycaps. I did include the keycap set in the order, though only one. I realize now I need more keys, probably. Not sure if the second set can be added?

Also while double shot is nice I prefer dye sublimation.

I like the /dev/tty MT3 keycap set by matt3o. I have it on one of my keyboards and it was inspired by beamsprings to begin with.
Would it work on this one, given the description states there might be issues with custom MX sets?
The original beam springs were flat and needed sculpted caps. As pointed out by an earlier poster - this also appears to be the case for Ellipse's keyboards.

Ellipse

06 Jan 2023, 04:00

Round 1 keyboards now open to all:

Now that orders have been open for about two weeks, the Round 1 keyboards are now open to all. In the next day or so I will be emailing those who signed up on the Google form and who have not picked their keyboard just yet.

The 1 per person limit has also been removed for the Round 1 keyboards. Feel free to order additional ones if you'd like.

The product page will be marked as out of stock once the limit is reached and no more keyboards can be ordered.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... -keyboard/

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... -keyboard/

For those who want to request to switch from Round 2 to Round 1, here are the steps:
Please order the keyboard and extras that you want, and choose "other payment" at checkout.
Please place a separate order of units of the store item $1 increments and choose free/other shipping at checkout, right before clicking Place Order. The quantity of $1 increments to order is the price difference between your orders.

ngnx

06 Jan 2023, 21:36

How can I add an LED overlay to my order?

Ellipse

06 Jan 2023, 21:46

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ng-extras/

Please feel free to choose free/other shipping at checkout to add small items to an order that has not yet shipped.

ngnx

07 Jan 2023, 11:39

Ellipse wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 21:46
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ng-extras/

Please feel free to choose free/other shipping at checkout to add small items to an order that has not yet shipped.
Thanks, I did it.

d3adrock

08 Jan 2023, 22:40

I want to order a round 2 BSSK keyboard but I would really like to see what they look like first, even if it is just a render. When do you think you will have renders of the round 2 BSSK keyboards?

Ellipse

08 Jan 2023, 23:29

Apologies I still have to make the renderings for the other keyboards. The design is the same dimensions for all Round 2 keyboards, so we already know what they will look like: the BSSK will chop off a few inches on the right side compared to the B104, the B62 will chop off the right block of the BSSK, and the B122 will add an extra row on top for F13-F24 and extra space on the left side for the 10 function keys, compared to the B104.

Ellipse

09 Jan 2023, 18:03

The first batch of several hundred custom PBT dye sublimated MX style key sets for this project have been completed and should be delivered to me within two weeks from now, if all goes well. My expectation is that I can then start mailing out the Round 1 boards with the key sets.

dodddummy

09 Jan 2023, 18:38

I've ordered a B122 and am curious about the keys that will be included. Will f13-f24 be included or will those be blank?

engr

09 Jan 2023, 18:38

Ellipse wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 18:03
The first batch of several hundred custom PBT dye sublimated MX style key sets for this project have been completed and should be delivered to me within two weeks from now, if all goes well.
Will there be an opportunity to order MX style keysets with sublegends in different languages, like for the Model F project?

Also, for Round 2 boards, this is what the B104 case will look like, correct? There are several photos on that page with different case styles.

I am a bit puzzled about possibly needing super glue during the assembly; which parts may need it?

engr

09 Jan 2023, 18:49

PeterQuines wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 20:38
Update: spoke to Ellipse and both BSSK and 104 sized round two keyboards with F77 style nav/numpad can be made with a doable tooling cost.
There is not going to be an opportunity for a round of Model Fs with 104-key layout, by any chance? Asking for a friend...

Ellipse

09 Jan 2023, 20:49

dodddummy please take a look at the beam spring product page for details on the key set that is included. It will not be a 122 key set with F13-F24 legends included.

engr sorry it's just the one set option, with the ability to use the included set an an ISO style layout. Confirmed on the case style.

Super glue attaches the washer to the white beam barrel part. The key secures the washer in place so it's not 100% needed but it is recommended if the washer separates after it is bounced around in shipping.

dodddummy

10 Jan 2023, 12:09

Ellipse wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 20:49
dodddummy please take a look at the beam spring product page for details on the key set that is included. It will not be a 122 key set with F13-F24 legends included.
I did read all of the information. However, at this point the b122 model is still at the "it's just an image of the very fine layout" stage. So figured perhaps if there was interest and maybe an extra fee for tooling etc there'd be a possibility of having a full b122 keycap set.

Will there be enough keycaps for all keys, with some having no legends? Asking because I ordered keycap sets. I don't mind some keys with no legends but if I'm going to have to supplement the keycap set I ordered with keycaps from another set, I'd rather remove the keycap sets from my order.

Ellipse

10 Jan 2023, 18:32

Unfortunately it is not possible to add additional keys to this set, as the tooling would cost tens of thousands of dollars more because each key has to be created in the mold for a double shot key. I can't even change any of the legends on the current set.

Please take a look at the photos of the key set. Confirmed you can physically cover all B122 key spots and you do not require purchasing another set to cover the additional keys, but the legends do not match the key position (for example no F13-F24 key legends).

d3adrock

10 Jan 2023, 19:02

Ellipse wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 23:29
Apologies I still have to make the renderings for the other keyboards. The design is the same dimensions for all Round 2 keyboards, so we already know what they will look like: the BSSK will chop off a few inches on the right side compared to the B104, the B62 will chop off the right block of the BSSK, and the B122 will add an extra row on top for F13-F24 and extra space on the left side for the 10 function keys, compared to the B104.
Thank you, I would still like to visually see renderings before placing an order and I think it would help others here make more informed purchases as well. Thanks!

lukebpalmer

11 Jan 2023, 23:10

First off, I love what youve done for the keyboard community Ellipse! I finally got those keycaps you made for the model F and theyre amazing! I'll attach a photo below of the final product!

I'm super excited to see what comes out of this beam spring project! I'm still in college so I don't have a lot of expendable income yet, but I am definitely staying tuned on the sidelines! I am a sucker for old, sturdy tech and it seems the round 2 beamsprings are more true to the beam spring roots!

Are you going to produce one that mimics the old-style colors (this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60dah49yQPU&t=322s)? I'd love to end up putting money down for an order, but I would want it to look like a 1970s industrial monster on my desk!

Also, maybe for Round 3 (if that ever comes) you could toy around with non-101 style layout, maybe something a bit more unique like the original beamsprings or maybe use the model F AT layout (but im biased)!

Oh and unless this is isn't obvious...PLEASE GIVE THE OPTION FOR PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE VINTAGE BEAM SPRINGS TO BUY THE KEYCAPS YOURE MAKING! That would be huge as customizing/modding those old dinosaurs I think is pretty much unheard of.
Attachments
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG (4.28 MiB) Viewed 3646 times

Ellipse

11 Jan 2023, 23:32

Confirmed you can pick any of the case colors shown on the product page including the original style Off-White/Beige - these are the same colors as offered with the ultra compact case Model F keyboards.

Unfortunately MX keycaps are not compatible with the IBM beam spring originals, nor are the new modules compatible with original IBM keyboards.

I am open to additional layouts and modifications but the tooling costs would be high for each mod. So far there is a mod to allow usage of those 5 extra keys above the cursor keys of the BSSK and B104. I'll be making 7 keyboards of each but you have to help cover the tooling costs ($100 or more per person).

lukebpalmer

12 Jan 2023, 00:02

MX keycaps?!? How come you didn't copy the beam spring ones?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Jan 2023, 00:35

Based on the amount of beam keycaps with broken stems I've seen, I for one am happy that Ellipse moved to MX mount instead.

Ellipse

12 Jan 2023, 04:38

For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including? It won't be a perfect match but I was thinking of throwing in 22 black keys with transparent relegendable tops. I also asked the factory if they can provide blank keys in the same style but it is not likely. Probably better than using the provided set's extra keys as there would be duplication.

For reference, here are the keys remaining after I installed the keys from this set to the B104 Round 1 on the product page. It turns out there are 21 extra 1U keys and you would need 22 to cover F13-F24 and the 10 left side block keys (I thought there were enough 1U keys but the factory provided more extra keys than I had anticipated in the sample set). Below is the first production key set photo.

MX allows everyone to use the multitude of extant MX key sets and avoids limiting the project to one key set style. Also the tooling costs for a double shot key set like that would be astronomical, more than $100,000.
production photo - remaining keys after B104 installation.jpg
production photo - remaining keys after B104 installation.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3528 times

SirConner

12 Jan 2023, 05:54

Ellipse wrote:
For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including? It won't be a perfect match but I was thinking of throwing in 22 black keys with transparent relegendable tops. I also asked the factory if they can provide blank keys in the same style but it is not likely. Probably better than using the provided set's extra keys as there would be duplication.

For reference, here are the keys remaining after I installed the keys from this set to the B104 Round 1 on the product page. It turns out there are 21 extra 1U keys and you would need 22 to cover F13-F24 and the 10 left side block keys (I thought there were enough 1U keys but the factory provided more extra keys than I had anticipated in the sample set). Below is the first production key set photo.

MX allows everyone to use the multitude of extant MX key sets and avoids limiting the project to one key set style. Also the tooling costs for a double shot key set like that would be astronomical, more than $100,000.

The keys are uniform across rows, correct? I was planning on buying an extra set and using some from the numpad for the left macros but wanted to confirm this. Blank black caps would be awesome too. I've been looking at MX caps that had f24 but have not found any yet.

Rena

12 Jan 2023, 06:04

I also just ordered an additional set for my B122 to fill it out. I would be happy with the 22 black keys with transparent tops or blanks though.

darkcruix

12 Jan 2023, 09:04

SirConner wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 05:54
I've been looking at MX caps that had f24 but have not found any yet.
The DROP + Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty Keycap Set can be purchased with all the keys needed for the B122, imho. Find below the picture of the Kit: Extras
IMG_3494.jpeg
IMG_3494.jpeg (576.05 KiB) Viewed 3461 times

akuseru1994

12 Jan 2023, 14:33

Ellipse wrote:

The 22 black keys with transparent relegendable top sounds great! I’m delighted I do not have to search for matching keycaps!

tron

12 Jan 2023, 18:11

Just waiting on the R2 BSSK and B62 renders to make my purchase. These all look so nice I’m having a hard time picking just one type :D . If Chyrosran has R1 in the review line up I think his insights would be super helpful for purchasing R1 or waiting for R2. IMO R1 sounds nice and satisfying for clicky switch fans 8-).

Return to “Group buys”