Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

goofy9x

24 Dec 2022, 16:25

Ellipse, could the case's dimensions for each keyboard layout be specified?

Rena

24 Dec 2022, 16:45

I'm a bit confused here on the key situation for the 122 model.
Choice of 2 MX-compatible PBT double shot key sets. The key sets are US ANSI but with additional keys so you can make an ISO and/or HHKB style layouts, with one exception: the ISO Enter key is a separate purchase for all key sets; it is not included in any key set. Important: you only get the keys pictured above, even if you order a Beam 122 key keyboard, or ISO or HHKB style layout, so you will have to make do with these keys or try your own keys. There may not be enough keys in the included key set to cover the 122 key keyboard the way you want it.
But further up the product page, you state:
While this keyboard is designed to be compatible with various MX keys, do not use your favorite Cherry MX set on this keyboard. There is always a chance that damage may occur. I recommend only using the project’s MX-compatible keys as they were selected and tested with these modules, and available to order on the project web site. Use other sets at your own risk.
I'm confused here, what's the solution to getting a fully covered 122? Do I need to just buy two key sets and try to work something out for the 122? It's kind of disappointing that even blank keys were not included with the 122 to fill out the rest of the keyboard. I was interested in either the compact case or the 122, but if you're not providing enough keys to cover the entire keyboard without making additional purchases, it's not worth it for me at that price.

HV_Medic

24 Dec 2022, 17:43

Sorry to vent, but I have to say that I am really disappointed with how this project seems to be unfolding.

A few years back, I decided that I really wanted a beam spring keyboard and if possible for it to have a modern aesthetic. I was keenly following the Silo beam spring project for a long time until that was quietly canceled.

Then after getting my new Model F (which I like a lot by the way but still wish it was a full size board), I stumbled upon this project. The keyboard in the “ultra compact” form that I saw on the beam spring launch page was just about perfect. I love the aesthetics, it is beam spring, it has 104 keys in an ANSI form, it has high profile nice key caps but has Cherry stems so there is an option to swap out. In short, this is would have been my end game board.

I immediately signed the interest form and said I would buy two.

But, now I am finding out that these boards are only available to a handful of people who signed up the earliest on a web page that was not particularly easy to find.

Now that the project has been formally announced and orders are being accepted, the only options are the “classic” or "SSK" format in various options, which now that I am seeing the prototypes (and who knows what the final versions will actually look like), I have to say that I think they are hideous. I’m sorry to say so (and I mean no disrespect at all), maybe they are closer to what IBM made back in the day, but I absolutely hate how they look.

So, now I am left with the option of simply giving up the dream of a modern beam spring, or spend a significant amount of money to buy a keyboard that I think is incredibly ugly, and if I decide to purchase, it certainly won’t be two, it will just be one.

On the other hand, if Ellipse decides to do another run of the “ultra compact” board, which was the earliest pictured board, I would consider getting two.

So, please Ellipse, consider opening up orders for the “ultra compact” board, that’s the one I really want and I imagine there are more people in the same boat as me.

Admiral

24 Dec 2022, 18:16

After listening to the videos and reading the descriptions of the Round 2 boards I think I like the idea of ordering one of those compared to the Round 1 boards. I like the muffled sound a bit more, but they both sound great. I do love how compact the Round 1 boards are though they look sleek.

Thanks for all the work you have been putting into this project. I'm pretty excited.

Ellipse

24 Dec 2022, 20:29

infundibulum: Yes confirmed on needing to get the solenoid driver, but please note that the solenoid itself will not fit a Round 1 (compact style) case, so if you have a Round 1 board on order, you'd probably want to get the solenoid driver and a smaller solenoid such as the sparkfun solenoid mentioned earlier https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

Rena the provided key set has 139 or so keys, which includes about 25 additional 1U keys not used on the B104, as pictured in the beam spring keyboard product page, but the keys are not all the right legends and sizes for a 122 and many are just duplicates of other keys but in the modifier color, so it would look odd and the legends would be "wrong" but it would be possible to use the provided set on a 122 and cover the keys. Unfortunately the factory does not have molds for any additional keys in this style of key set - I did ask them. For the B122 key sets my recommendation is to mix and match keys if you like the current key set, by also ordering another set, or considering another key set instead of the set offered with the keyboard. To clarify the second part, you can use any MX keys as the modules have MX stems but I have to disclose it's at your own risk since I am not selling or endorsing these other products in any way.

HV_Medic the compact style Round 1 will be opened up to everyone if there is any space left, but priority is given to those who signed up the earliest. Gradually I will move down the list and open it up to more and more folks, and then to everyone if there are any left.

If anyone strongly prefers the Round 1 style and did not make the invitation list cutoff, please send me an email so I can try to get you in Round 1.

voyagersilver

25 Dec 2022, 01:36

Jumping in at random here, but would anyone be interested in going in on JIS-styled split spacebar setup? I emailed Joe about it and he suggested I post here to see if I could drum up some extra interest to help split costs. I saw some chatter about similar things in earlier posts. Anyone interested?

infundibulum

25 Dec 2022, 02:43

Ellipse,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the solenoid you sell on my F77 and I love the sound and loudness - definitely wouldn't want a smaller solenoid. I am hoping to get in on round 2, just haven't payed yet.

KeebMeUp

25 Dec 2022, 06:05

voyagersilver wrote:
Jumping in at random here, but would anyone be interested in going in on JIS-styled split spacebar setup? I emailed Joe about it and he suggested I post here to see if I could drum up some extra interest to help split costs. I saw some chatter about similar things in earlier posts. Anyone interested?
yes interested possibly

PeterQuines

25 Dec 2022, 08:51

Ellipse, do you know yet if the BSSKs will include the "Print Screen", "Num Lock", and "Pause" keys above the "Home", "Page Up" and "Insert" keys like the IBM SSKs?

Will the be no lock lights on the BSSK?

Excited to see the progress you've made. Thank you for being honest about the inherent finickiness of these switches and the limitations of a low volume production run being shipped out by one person. I've been loving my F77s which have been working beautifully as my home and work keyboards..

inmbolmie

25 Dec 2022, 15:30

PeterQuines wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 08:51

Will the be no lock lights on the BSSK?

I see no lock lights on the official pictures @PeterQuines. Although a clarification would be nice on the ordering page as I imagine people will be ordering them alongside BSSK's nevertheless.
Spoiler:
Captura desde 2022-12-25 15-26-25.png
Captura desde 2022-12-25 15-26-25.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3998 times

akuseru1994

25 Dec 2022, 18:11

Just placed order #21981 for a Beam Spring round2 122 keyboard, got to say I am really excited and looking forward to the success of this project!

I have also ordered the black keycap set, and I would pay to have the black F13-F24 + 10 blank keycaps, would it be possible?

wobbled

25 Dec 2022, 19:52

Confused as to why I didn’t get an email for R1/R2 when I signed the interest form months ago when this project was first announced. Hell even my comment is on the first page of this thread…

Ellipse

25 Dec 2022, 20:27

PeterQuines confirmed the BSSK will be like the B104, except with the right side removed. No lock LEDs but they can be added just like with the F77/F62. Glad your new Model F is holding up well so far. I added this note to the product pages in the what's included section.

Sorry akuseru1994, the key sets are finalized and it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to add even just a few keys to the set (I asked). One idea I had was to have a set that included every common international language's special keys, all combined into one set, but that would have been cost prohibitive since they did not have the molds for these other keys.

wobbled you were one of the very first few dozen to sign up, so you definitely made the cut for your choice of Round 1 or Round 2. I can confirm an email went out to you and my newsletter service did not report a bounce back from your email. Please check your junk folders. The email address was the same one you used when ordering the Model F. Please send me an email and I will reply with the Round 1 link.

wobbled

25 Dec 2022, 21:01

Ellipse wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 20:27
PeterQuines confirmed the BSSK will be like the B104, except with the right side removed. No lock LEDs but they can be added just like with the F77/F62. Glad your new Model F is holding up well so far. I added this note to the product pages in the what's included section.

Sorry akuseru1994, the key sets are finalized and it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to add even just a few keys to the set (I asked). One idea I had was to have a set that included every common international language's special keys, all combined into one set, but that would have been cost prohibitive since they did not have the molds for these other keys.

wobbled you were one of the very first few dozen to sign up, so you definitely made the cut for your choice of Round 1 or Round 2. I can confirm an email went out to you and my newsletter service did not report a bounce back from your email. Please check your junk folders. The email address was the same one you used when ordering the Model F. Please send me an email and I will reply with the Round 1 link.
Thanks I’ve sent an email
Do you have any pictures of a B62 with HHKB layout?

Ellipse

26 Dec 2022, 05:32

Nope no photos just yet. I hope to post as soon as the factory makes them.

Vrugdush

26 Dec 2022, 12:53

Hi Joe,

I'm a (mostly) satisfied Model F customer, and am considering one of these fancy beam spring contraptions, but I'd like a clarification on one point, please:

You state on the product page that ISO with split Right Shift is not available due to the tooling costs, but can we assume that ISO at least comes with the customary shorter/split Left Shift by default?

It's too bad that the Round 1 keyboards aren't available in ISO, as a more compact case would have been nice.

Thanks for all your hard work on these projects. :-)

Ellipse

26 Dec 2022, 19:32

Vrugdush yes ISO has split left shift. As noted before I am open to any kind of custom layout, if you can cover the tooling costs, either yourself or by asking for others to join in with you on covering the costs.

infundibulum

28 Dec 2022, 08:27

Elipse,
Does the keycap set have nubs or deep dish J and F keys?
I really like the look of the key sets.

Ellipse

28 Dec 2022, 09:24

Yes confirmed; they are difficult to see in the photos but there are nubs for F, J, and num pad 5.

ixenxr

30 Dec 2022, 06:09

I was one of the 400s that received the email for round 1, but after weighing the options I decided to go for round 2 b122 instead, also because it is 70 bucks cheaper than the R1 price. JPY > USD rate isn't so good right now so I figured I might as well gradually order add-ons over time until it ships.

Still can't get over the fact that I had to pay $5 for the LED overlays though, it was supposed to be free in my opinion.

Is there any keycap that needs modification other than spacebar from you've tested? Honestly I don't like the look of production keycaps that much, and I already have several sets with extras for my mx keyboards anyway.

Ellipse

30 Dec 2022, 06:15

ixenxr none of the project's MX keys needed to be modified to install them. The project set's beam spring space bar did not require modification, but other sets' spacebars might (not sure yet).

Jesse9766

30 Dec 2022, 06:40

Are there going to be any lock lights for the Round 2 BSSK and B62? Would be useful to have a caps lock indicator on a smaller form factor.

Ellipse

30 Dec 2022, 07:09

Jesse9766 not by the factory default but the one LED can be added - all you need is the LED, wires, and a resistor.

PRIPARA_PLAYER

31 Dec 2022, 04:46

voyagersilver wrote:
I'm interested in JIS layout, or JIS with split enter and split left shift.

Arkku

03 Jan 2023, 01:32

Which case style is this, is it available in round 2? I would want to have this case keyboard with ISO layout, and this picture is also on the round 2 order page... I don't like the bulky style of the other pictured cases. (I did qualify for round 1, but as I understand, only ANSI layout keyboards are available there.)

download/file.php?id=76300

Ellipse

03 Jan 2023, 02:05

That is the round 1 style case, ANSI only.

We are a few days away from the 1/7 date when the Round 1 option opens up to everyone. If anyone wants to request an invite to Round 1, please do message me.

PeterQuines

03 Jan 2023, 08:26

If there are pads on the PCB above the arrow keys and people paid for the added tooling costs, would it be possible to have BSSK cases made with cutouts above the arrow keys? Sort of an F77 style beamspring. If yes, how much would it cost?

t8c

03 Jan 2023, 09:59

PeterQuines wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 08:26
If there are pads on the PCB above the arrow keys and people paid for the added tooling costs, would it be possible to have BSSK cases made with cutouts above the arrow keys? Sort of an F77 style beamspring. If yes, how much would it cost?
Agreed, especially with a 1.5u 1u 1.5u bottom row and 7u spacebar.

Arkku

03 Jan 2023, 14:39

Ellipse wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 02:05
That is the round 1 style case, ANSI only.
Would the ISO keyboard fit in that style of case? Any chance of selling just the case from round 1?

Ellipse

03 Jan 2023, 16:36

Customization of round 1 is not possible since the keyboards were delivered to me already. You would need a new case and PCB since the top part would need to be laser cut with the ISO-specific holes in different positions compared to ANSI.

Confirmed each layout customization option you noted would be possible if you cover the additional tooling costs which would be at least a couple thousand dollars.

For a request to cut out just the block with the cursor keys on the B104 and BSSK, since the inner assembly already has these holes, the additional cost would be reduced to $900 since only the top case needs adjustment, but only if it is done with the current production batch which is starting production in a few weeks, so folks would need to commit before the order is finalized (first they are producing the prototype case of the new design before production proceeds).

This cost could be shared with cutting out the same area on the B104, so folks interested in that model can also join in this request.
Last edited by Ellipse on 04 Jan 2023, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group buys”