Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

dodddummy

12 Jan 2023, 18:49

Ellipse wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 04:38
For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including?
I would be happy with the 22 black keys with transparent tops or blanks though.

Ellipse

12 Jan 2023, 19:28

Thanks darkcruix - that looks like a good suggestion for a 122 key set. Folks would just have to order their Base key set and their Extras set as you noted.

SirConner I think they are at a slightly different profile for each row which is why I think a few near-duplicate keys are provided.

akuseru1994 to be clear (pun intended!) the transparent relegendable keys would not look the same as the keys for this project since these other key tops have to be flat. Feel free to do some online searching for various photos of transparent relegendable MX keys to see examples. If anyone can find good ones please share the link.

infundibulum

12 Jan 2023, 22:38

Ellipse wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 04:38
For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including? It won't be a perfect match but I was thinking of throwing in 22 black keys with transparent relegendable tops.
Whether or not relegendable keys are included with a B122 purchase, I would love it if you could offer some black relegendables for sale on the website. I'd like to be able to order singles or 5-packs of black relegendables - I want to install 28 relegendable keys across all the switches in upper portion of board.

Signature Plastics (based in Seattle) makes some nice looking relegendables offered in a SA row 3 profile . . . but I don't know if the approximate 12 mm height of these SA relegendables would be a little too tall if installed right next to keys from the Ellipse set. Signature Plastics also doesn't regularly stock any color of their relegendables so it can take weeks or months to score the color you want. The company provides the measurements for their 2-piece relegendables on their website.
Last edited by infundibulum on 16 Jan 2023, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

SirConner

13 Jan 2023, 08:24

Ellipse wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 19:28
Thanks darkcruix - that looks like a good suggestion for a 122 key set. Folks would just have to order their Base key set and their Extras set as you noted.

SirConner I think they are at a slightly different profile for each row which is why I think a few near-duplicate keys are provided.

akuseru1994 to be clear (pun intended!) the transparent relegendable keys would not look the same as the keys for this project since these other key tops have to be flat. Feel free to do some online searching for various photos of transparent relegendable MX keys to see examples. If anyone can find good ones please share the link.
Darkcruix 's option is great! Most likely going for that. And I figured they probably had different profiles; glad I didn't jump the gun on the included caps. Thanks for the info though! My current board has mismatched rows and it drives me crazy haha.

BuGless

13 Jan 2023, 09:02

I'd love to have a (blank or actually labelled) keycap for the "6" in the numeric top row that actually has a bump on it. Any idea how to accomplish this? Since it is the top row, the keycap needs to be taller than a typical "F" or "J" of course.

thefarside

13 Jan 2023, 16:46

Ellipse, regarding the people who are paying extra for a 4704 style nav cluster with the five extra keys, is that purchase closed or still open for orders? I was interested in the B122 but I also like the idea of an expanded nav cluster. Would both be possible and if so what would the cost be for a B122 with 4704 nav cluster (B127)?

I was also curious if you knew what the profile was of the keys. My understanding is MX keys have a variety of different profiles and I’m curious if someone purchased different keys of they'd get better uniformity using a specific profile.

PeterQuines

13 Jan 2023, 20:27

thefarside wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 16:46
Ellipse, regarding the people who are paying extra for a 4704 style nav cluster with the five extra keys, is that purchase closed or still open for orders? I was interested in the B122 but I also like the idea of an expanded nav cluster. Would both be possible and if so what would the cost be for a B122 with 4704 nav cluster (B127)?
Only the B104 and BSSK sizes were in discussion for the expanded nav cluster to keep tooling costs down. Ellipse can correct me if I'm wrong, but not sure how much time is left to get an expanded B122 made if someone paid for the tooling.

If you are interested in either the B104 or BSSK with a 4704 style nav cluster, DM me and I can add you to the list.

Rena

13 Jan 2023, 20:44

Ellipse said this regarding the B122, I don't think it's possible without updating the controller.
Ellipse wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 05:04
Of course they cannot be populated with the beam 122-style keyboards which will likely have 128 keys already used (104 keys for standard ANSI + 2 additional for ISO short shift < > and ~ # key to the left of ISO enter + 12 F13-F24 keys + 10 keys for the left side block), as 128 is the maximum allowed on a 16x8 matrix. I am open to someone submitting an updated controller design to allow for an additional optional column - maybe Rico's new RP2040-based controller will allow for this - though it might be tricky with maintaining backwards compatibility (maybe a solder pad to switch it from being an extra column to being a ground column?). Compromises will possibly be needed for those wanting to order custom layout 122-style beam spring keyboards, especially if they want additional keys like splitting the backspace, etc.

thefarside

13 Jan 2023, 23:14

Thanks I missed that regarding the updated controller requirement. PeterQuines I sent you a DM.

Meme_Screen

14 Jan 2023, 21:55

How long are we going to be able to purchase round 2 boards?

infundibulum

16 Jan 2023, 02:14

Ellipse,

I already noted this in my B122 order, but I would love to see the dot matrix receipts included with beam spring orders as you did with the Model F. I thought it was a really cool touch.

And if you're taking votes I like the LED overlay option #1. I only included one overlay in my order but I think it would be really cool to later see options for both beige and black overlays w/ no text that still allow the LEDs to shine through.

t8c

16 Jan 2023, 20:55

Looks like F77 nav style is going to happen, I paid tonight.

SSK: Anyone interested in splitting cost for tsangan bottom row (1.5u 1u 1.5u 7u) ? Please express interest here or in PM.

Scarpia

18 Jan 2023, 18:08

@Ellipse: I am also curious about the possibility to buy the keyset separately if it’s a nice profile?

Ellipse

18 Jan 2023, 19:45

infundibulum yes I hope to list the relegendable MX keys for people to order separately, after I order them.

BuGless I'm not sure.

thefarside it is still open for B104 and BSSK but it's not happening as of now for the others, as the tooling costs would be several thousand dollars since it would require updates to various parts and not just cutting out a little more of the case.

Meme_Screen it will be a while supplies last type deal, but the price is going back up $100 at some point for the larger models (BSSK and larger - not B62). My guess is orders for round 2 will be open at least through mid-year.

infundibulum yes I hope to keep going with the dot matrix receipts.

Scarpia yes you can currently order the key set for one of your other MX type boards - the store item is beam spring extras.

PeterQuines

19 Jan 2023, 23:43

Out of curiosity, any updates on the expected weight of the round 2 boards? Heavier than the equivalently sized Model Fs?

htpr

20 Jan 2023, 01:04

I have a set of SP SA keycaps. It looks similar to the keycaps in the picture, will it work on the board?
If it works, I will not order the keyset.

Ellipse

20 Jan 2023, 02:48

Generally I believe that MX type sets of all profiles should work with the beam spring keyboards but I can't guarantee compatibility.

BuGless

20 Jan 2023, 08:38

t8c wrote:
So did I, last weekend, with PeterQuines.
SSK: Anyone interested in splitting cost for tsangan bottom row (1.5u 1u 1.5u 7u) ? Please express interest here or in PM.
I'd like to participate.
My intention is to maintain mostly uniform keyspacing/placement between my F77s and the beamspring.

zhoulander

20 Jan 2023, 12:59

BuGless wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 08:38
t8c wrote:
So did I, last weekend, with PeterQuines.
I'd like to participate.
My intention is to maintain mostly uniform keyspacing/placement between my F77s and the beamspring.
I am interested in this as well, depending on the costs. How much extra are we looking at over the stock SSK for each of the above modifications?

PeterQuines

22 Jan 2023, 09:41

zhoulander wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 12:59
I am interested in this as well, depending on the costs. How much extra are we looking at over the stock SSK for each of the above modifications?
I sent you a DM with details about getting one of the boards with F77 style nav clusters Ellipse is making. There are still some left if anyone else is interested.

The reason I only focused on the F77 style layout is because the changes to the bottom row would have significantly increased the cost.

Ellipse

31 Jan 2023, 23:32

As a note, mechanical keyboard meetups are now happening again in NYC. I have signed up for the next one in April. I hope to bring a new Model F keyboard as well as a new beam spring keyboard. This will be my first meetup since 2019! Hoping to see some forum members there.

https://nyckeyboardmeetup.com/

jwsz

08 Feb 2023, 04:06

Any idea when they will start shipping?

Ellipse

09 Feb 2023, 01:19

The Round 1 boards should start going out later this month hopefully, while Round 2 still needs to be produced, assembled, and shipped which should happen over the coming months. The PBT double shot key sets arrived and they look great, just like the photos posted earlier. The all black keys with white legends also look great - I need to post a photo of this custom set.

As a reminder Round 1 and Round 2 boards are now open for all to order; you no longer need an invitation.

So far we have more than $160,000 in new beam spring keyboard orders after less than two months - well beyond my expectations.

dodddummy

10 Feb 2023, 00:56

Just make sure you create the b122 version. That is my dream board.

Ellipse

10 Feb 2023, 03:41

Yes B62, BSSK, B104, and B122 are all going into production.

Below are the additional beam spring renderings. These designs have been submitted to the factory. They will be making a prototype of each keyboard size before proceeding to production. Please see an earlier post for the B104 rendering.

The holes on the bottom of the case are for the solenoid driver PCB, solenoid, and P clip, as well as 4 holes for screw-in bumpers (adhesive bumpers can also be used).
Attachments
Beam assembly - SSK.jpg
Beam assembly - SSK.jpg (206.22 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - SSK 4.jpg
Beam assembly - SSK 4.jpg (261.65 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - SSK 3.jpg
Beam assembly - SSK 3.jpg (155.03 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - SSK 2.jpg
Beam assembly - SSK 2.jpg (193.05 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - SSK 0.jpg
Beam assembly - SSK 0.jpg (233.83 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 122.jpg
Beam assembly - 122.jpg (250.31 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 122 4.jpg
Beam assembly - 122 4.jpg (392.88 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 122 3.jpg
Beam assembly - 122 3.jpg (167.86 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 122 2.jpg
Beam assembly - 122 2.jpg (195.11 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 122 0.jpg
Beam assembly - 122 0.jpg (240.59 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 62.jpg
Beam assembly - 62.jpg (231.58 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 62 4.jpg
Beam assembly - 62 4.jpg (252.95 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 62 3.jpg
Beam assembly - 62 3.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 62 2.jpg
Beam assembly - 62 2.jpg (185.37 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Beam assembly - 62 0.jpg
Beam assembly - 62 0.jpg (205.18 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

zrrion

10 Feb 2023, 04:04

B40 ortho when

raoulduke-esq

10 Feb 2023, 15:49

I noped out because of these cases. m8 do us all a favor and invest a little in a designer.

Ellipse

10 Feb 2023, 19:52

zrrion I am open to additional layouts if folks can cover the tooling charges, which would be much higher per unit since they are not spread out to as many keyboards.

raoulduke-esq the cases are based on the IBM beam spring originals; I am definitely open to additional case designs if there is enough interest in covering the tooling charges.

For those who cannot accept the classic IBM style, please show me examples of what they would like to see, that they believe will have widespread interest. Manufacturing cost will be a concern. The current cases are being made by laser cutting and welding, which is reasonable in cost, but designs requiring CNC milling or die casting would add tens of thousands of dollars minimum to the costs, so we may be limited by which designs are feasible to produce. The Round 2 boards all have a separate inner assembly, as shown in the renderings and photos posted before, so the inner assembly should be able to be dropped into future case designs.

Scarpia

11 Feb 2023, 13:06

Those case designs are excellent!

dodddummy

11 Feb 2023, 14:25

I'm fine with the case.

Return to “Group buys”